OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 07:22 
Super User

so i have returned from the grave (more like college did a number on me and i had to take a break from table tennis) I am currently recovering from a sprained mcl and displaced knee cap on my left leg...fortunately im undergoing physical therapy and i have played a few light games and making good progress on recovery so i shall be playing very soon hopefully (and i shall attempt to play more when im back at college)

so here's the rundown...after 3 months of rest and recovery (and thoughts to myself)...I will be making a drastic change to my style as my aggressive two-wing looping style does not agree with me physically and mentally and will be switching to modern defense. My switch isnt because of my physical state, but rather i want to take advantage of my growth spurt and my game mentality... two winged looping really exhausted me physically and mentally mainly due to the amount of negative energy got fed into my game. And i really want to be able to take a step back and take control of the game...and i really feel like modern defense is what i feel like fits with me: eg i want to control the pace of the game meanwhile winning the game with sharp counters

so i hope you guys can accept my decision and be willing to help me along the way (also i should be able to snag a table tennis coach when im back in college)

so my first question: what rubber should i use for my backhand for my new setup?

i have chosen the tibhar defense plus as my blade and tibhar grip-s soft for my forehand (probably either in 2.0 or 1.8 for more control) but i am not sure if i should go with short pips or long pips for by backhand (mainly chopping)
my ideal long pip would be nittaku screw one and im not sure about short pips (im ordering my paddle via paddle palace combo specials so options are limited but i could buy my pips elsewhere)

so sorry for the long post (my posts should be a bit shorter soon)

thank you very much,
azn

BH: Tibhar Grass D.Tecs OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 08:50 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Big welcome back azn, slap on something cheap in the category you want and try it out low financial risk.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 12:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome back aznfluteboy :rock:

Yes I agree, try a cheap long pimple to see if it's right for you...if you like it and it's working for you, you can home in on something specific.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 20:42 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
A good cheap one to start with is dawei 388d-1 0.6

If u are getting the pro combo I'm sure screw soft is fine. But If the combo lets u you could add a couple bucks and get grass dtecs... If you do ox is probably easier than sponge with that one.
All depends on what you wanna do with the backhand and how much distance you will have...

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 05:56 
Super User

hey guys, i managed to put my order in so here's the current setup:
Tibhar Defense Plus
Tibhar Grip-S Europe Soft Black 2.0
Tibhar Grass D.Tecs Red OX (can i get my tibhar sponsorship already? :rofl:)

fortunately paddle palace's combo specials allowed me to get the grass dtecs ox for the same price as the screw one (thanks tabesamis)

the paddle should come within the week, so in the meantime I'm going to keep working on my knee and my form (which are all not in any shape rn XD)

thanks,
azn

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 06:29 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Azn, welcome back! Just one comment and one question from me. First the comment....your style is your choice and what we think does not matter (but for what it is worth I think it one of the best styles to watch and play against).

More importantly though. ..the physical aspect. I think it is about the most demanding style to play, do you think it less demanding than 2 wing looping? (True 2 wing, where you aren't running around everything).

Good luck with the transition.

185g

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 18:57 
Super User

i am completely aware of the physical demands...the main reason im switching is due to the mindset i would be placed in when 2 winged looping and that stress probably didnt help my knee

thanks,
Azn

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 09:02 
Super User

so i managed to get out and play but i never really got to test out my racket that much but here's what i have so far:

hitting on the forehand side feels really crisp and i havent noticed that much decrease in speed hitting the backhand on the other hand is something i have to get used to...

pushing is quite easy on the backhand side but i need to figure out how to get more spin and variation on my bh pushes, fh pushes are normal

fh chops are quite controllable (i just have to adjust my arc a bit) and have quite a bit of spin

bh chops are also manageable but definitely needs some focused practice (im having a lesson on tuesday so we'll see how that goes)

loops on my forehand are quite interesting...either they go in or they fly off the table with no control so that also needs some adjustment but overall i love the feel of the paddle and the control i have with most of my kit

thanks,
azn

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 16:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You need to brush loop with the Grip-S euro, and you'll find it's extremly spinny and it will be a lot easier to land.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 03:23 
Super User

yeah that's what i thought, but I didnt get much practice time on my forehand so hopefully i can get some practice in