OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: A Girl's Perspective
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 19:21 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Nice video Der_Echte
It's good to be married to someone who has similar interest :-)

Last edited by arlene on 15 Feb 2015, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2014, 00:50 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
I am enjoying your post Arlene :up:
arlene wrote:
Someone once told me that once you are on the court, you should only focus on your opponent and your game. Any other extraneous stimuli, you should block out. Is there a group that is cheering for your opponent, ignore it. Is your opponent getting advice after EVERY game, ignore it. Is someone on the other court "cho...ing" too loudly, ignore it. Is your opponent taking too much "break time" after 6 points, breathe and visualize what your next strategy will be.

Savour the match, do not rush the game. Life is not about reaching the finish line, but enjoying the journey, so is table tennis, it's how you play each point, how you move to each ball and execute your stroke, did you land it short? long? did you place it well, to prevent a strong return?

The problem sometimes is the ability to sustain concentration and focus, hence if I lose at 2-0, then as Larry Hodges would say, it's all mental.

Also enjoy what you’re doing, don’t put your own internal pressure on yourself, you are right focusing on reading your opponents game, return of serve, well placed shots with controlled aggression is how I try to play & never give up. :clap:
My wife & I play in 2 over 50's TT clubs which are all doubles which I enjoy. 8)

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 22:29 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

arlene wrote:
Foam, I look forward to playing against Reb, unfortunately he does not enter a lot of tournaments. Last time I saw him was in Ballarat, he was looking a lot fitter and I imagine is playing better as he was waiting for his final match in Division 2. Which brings me to you, I don't think I've seen you this year! Have you given up playing the Veteran's circuit?

Arlene, I don't give up! :) but I've been not really well enough to play tournaments for a couple of years, I'm ok at the moment sort of.. but I have to take a lot of drugs which makes me a bit weak. Still I did play Mr Bowers the other week at a small tournament and beat him for the first time ever. So I'm still playing Div 2 level I guess.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 12:59 
Super User

It's been 4 months since I made any posts. Should have thought this twice before starting. My blogging will be erratic like my appearance in Facebook, popping in about once or twice a month to catch up with family and friends.

On Record Keeping

I keep records.
How do you play this opponent? What is his/her weakness?
Who were my teammates last 2000 in Croydon Pennant? 2012 in ESCTTA Pennant?
What was my winning rate at the Nationals 2012? Am I improving?
How much time did I spend cycling this year? How many km did I cover?
How much time did I hit up with the Robot? Has the machine paid for itself?
How many awards did I get this year?
How much did we spend at the Nationals this year?

I can add a few more, but you get the picture. 2014 we got Bronze at the Nationals in Tasmania. I played in the O40 Women State Team for Victoria. This year the Nationals will be in Queensland.
The calendar has already been marked. The training log is ready to be filled in. Another year of challenges await, welcome 2015.

Happy New Year everyone :-)

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 13:13 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
We wants moar reports :) :)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 22:17 
My Precious

Happy New Year Arlene :party: :party: & I hope you hit plenty of winners :up: :up:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 14:19 
Super User

How is everyone finding this Summer?
This is my least favourite time of the year. Give me cold and rain anytime.

On Training

Last year :
I spent 60 hours in group session training
I spent 25 hours hitting with the Robot
I spent 188 hours cycling, covering 3760 km

This year's goal is to do more of the above, plus incorporate Core Muscle exercises, hence I will be taking Pilates class. Also to do more stretching exercises. Often times I skip stretching after any work out, and I find myself achey the following day. So I have resolved that stretching is as important as the work-out itself. This will also make you less prone to injury.

I don't mind getting older, but I do mind NOT being healthy. And the only person responsible for your health is YOU and YOU alone. So take charge and be strong!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 14:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hi there my friend, long time no see!

I haven't been on the forum much so I missed you starting your blog. Its good to have some insight into your mind and ideas lol. Its also a bit scary to know how damn fit you are....3760km cycling!!!...really?? Holy....! :o :lol:

And you keep records huh? So, I am 2-1 up on you on Vets matches plus one in Rob's garage :P :lol: And yes unfortunately I don't play Vets as often as I'd like, but like Foam I struggle to be well enough for them and I also often have my daughter on the weekend they are on too. But I do love getting to one or three in a year just so I can catch up with people like your good self (although you're like the energiser bunny and never sit down for a chat :P ). The first time we met in 2008 you weren't as fit and we had the best chat we ever had I think haha!

Anyway, like everyone else here, I encourage you to keep the blogging up. Although I do know how hard it can be. My own blog has suffered recently...but then I'd been pretty steadfast with it for about 6 years...so I think I earned a break :lol:.

So how is your pennant going? Are you in A3 at Croydon now? I've dropped back to A4 at Dandy for the 1st time in 2 years or so. Not due to performance, but simply due to team availability. I'm hoping its a temporary glitch given I have won 15/15 at the half season mark and only dropped 3 sets from 15 matches. And my (new) teammates aren't too far behind me, so we should be back to A3 next season, god willing.

Oh, and kindly direct some of those nurses who are having trouble finding a date my way please ;) :* :up: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 14:36 
Super User

Hi Reb,

Should have thought twice before I started this blog. I'm not very good with updates :)

I have not seen any of you guys in tournaments. No Oscar, No Foam and I don't think I've seen you in 2 years! With regards to pennant, I am currently playing in A2. I had a good run last season in A3 so they promoted me, but A2 is tough. If I can get a game here and there, I'm happy. Surprisingly, I've gotten a couple of matches.... but my team is at the bottom of the ladder right now. But, it's all part of the learning curve and the experience will make me a better player. Either that or I get so discouraged that I throw in the towel :(

On Bouncing Back from a Loss

We all have upsets in our matches. We know when we are not giving our 100%, we know when we are being lax and there are times when we just don't care.
I had a bad loss at the recently held Geelong Veterans Tournament. I lost to this player who plays 2 grades below me in pennant and about a division lower in ranking. Her style has always annoyed me as she gives no pace, no spin, but to her credit, she gets a lot of balls back.

We used the plastic balls in Geelong and since we are still using the celluloid balls in club pennants, my timing was way off. It will be a year of awkward playing, since we go to tournaments once or twice a month which will be using plastic balls and the clubs I play in will continue to use celluloid until it runs out!

So what did I learn from this loss?
1. Approach each player with respect
2. You have to adapt and be flexible to implement necessary changes to your game
3. You have to warm up
4. Rankings do not mean squat
5. If you lose your patience then your opponent has already won
6. You cannot control who wins or lose, you can only aim to play well

You guys are free to add to the list, but losing to someone below your level is a humbling experience and an eye opener that you are only as good as your last match.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 16:37 
Super User

Words of wisdom. Well said Arlene :up:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 22:26 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Reality is that if we are going to get the odd match off someone a couple of levels higher, we are also going to lose to someone a couple of levels lower. That's just how it works. It hurts but i also feel somewhat happy for the person, as i know the feeling they will have getting a scalp. You will also learn more from these matches than a win.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 23:10 
My Precious

Arlene, Don’t let opponents or situations get inside your head, work on strategies for playing individuals but if you lose learn from it then you’ll be better next time.
As I've said before Tia Chi does it for me never give up but keep your mind focused?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 06:22 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
This should be inspirational !!

Here is a 58 shot rally video featuring two over 60 players, one is a woman who is actually improving weekly. She is one of the top five at the senior center.

You have to be signed into Facebook to watch.

The video is a Jan 19 2015 posting on the North Little Rock Table Tennis Group Facebook webpage - Timeline .. which is currently pinned to the top of the page for viewing.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=33 ... =2&theater

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

Last edited by LOOPOVER on 25 Mar 2015, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 12:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
No disrespect to that lady but Arlene hits the ball a lot harder and faster. I doubt that rally would last near as long if she was the female in it :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 17:06 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
No disrespect to that lady but Arlene hits the ball a lot harder and faster. I doubt that rally would last near as long if she was the female in it :lol:

Don't under estimate the guy returner's ability to get the harder / faster ball back .. :lol:

Maybe Arlene couldn't hit the table with her shots since those 4H balls are spun inside out and the BH balls are spun outside in .. so not as easy to handle as it looks .. :lol:

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed