OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 22:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Definitely solid backhands in the match. I kept waiting for him to step around or break the bh-bh pattern. It was a loser for him. Around 6:30 he had a little success mixing it up to your fh and bh, then he went right back into all bhs.

Looked like you were starting the rallies by going at his middle relentlessly, then mostly finishing to the wide bh. I didn't count the ratio of bhs to fhs by both of you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10:1 or even more.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 23:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
BRS wrote:
Definitely solid backhands in the match. I kept waiting for him to step around or break the bh-bh pattern. It was a loser for him. Around 6:30 he had a little success mixing it up to your fh and bh, then he went right back into all bhs.

Looked like you were starting the rallies by going at his middle relentlessly, then mostly finishing to the wide bh. I didn't count the ratio of bhs to fhs by both of you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10:1 or even more.

He wins that BH-BH pattern against virtually every player including prior versions of myself. I tend to win that pattern a lot as well so it makes sense that we both played to it. When i spoke about my frustration with losing that pattern to him, people told me to pivot and use my forehand which I did a little here but it was definitely more his struggle with my ability to step back and hit more powerful backhands that was key as I usually was trapped close to the table blocking his backhand. I don't know if I ever consciously played the ball to his middle but I have started blocking there in practice so maybe my subconscious is picking it up. Developing the ability to step back and rallying powerfully at mid distance is important but I need my mobility to catch up as well.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 00:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You being an extra step back is probably why he briefly had success going to your fh then back at the bh. He should have recognized you weren't blocking and adjusted. But that's hard to do if he's already played you numerous times and had success.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 01:02 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Moving people left and right especially to exploit strength on one wing is a common strategy. He might have just played the point out the way he felt comfortable and not given much thought to anything. I enter a pretty overt backhand stance when playing my backhands so if you have the confidence to go to my forehand, you would probably cause me some trouble regardless. I try to rely on the quality of my loops and serves to prevent that being an aggressive shot. If I was losing the battle, I probably would have risked a few DTL backhand shots as well.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 08:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NL you got me practicing in my boot...

Can't let gains disappear entirely!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 23:50 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Hustle point of the day.

https://youtu.be/ou5fJCNacGY?t=931

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 01:11 

Blade: Innerforce ZLC
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 64
NextLevel wrote:
Hustle point of the day.

https://youtu.be/ou5fJCNacGY?t=931

Niiiiiice. Forehand lookin deadly. Liked how you managed to loop back that really nice wide push from her. Evil girl was trying to exploit your knees man. No mercy! Did you get side spin on that 7th ball block?

Last edited by ruK on 05 Aug 2016, 01:23, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 01:20 

Blade: Innerforce ZLC
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 64
NextLevel wrote:
This is why I play in an attacker's club - I could imagine being lobbed down on a larger court in this kind of point. But what made me play so fast is beyond my comprehension right now - which I could do this more often.

https://youtu.be/FBls1g27Sao?t=283

I respect a man that chops in pants. Like he decided to pop in and give it a try :rock: .

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 01:51 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
ruK wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
This is why I play in an attacker's club - I could imagine being lobbed down on a larger court in this kind of point. But what made me play so fast is beyond my comprehension right now - which I could do this more often.

https://youtu.be/FBls1g27Sao?t=283

I respect a man that chops in pants. Like he decided to pop in and give it a try :rock: .

It's interesting that he serves from so far away from the table. Hmmm...the double inverted chopper you posted also does this.

What was the match score? Green's rated, what...22-2300?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 04:32 

Also, sounds like he is using OX pips, is that true?

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 05:18 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

He uses sponge nowadays. His peak was 2300-2400 but he is now more like 2100-2200.

Serving far from the table he says works because of the increased control and momentum gain of the larger plastic ball and that it is harder for players to blow it by you.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 22:32 

NextLevel wrote:
He uses sponge nowadays. His peak was 2300-2400 but he is now more like 2100-2200.

Serving far from the table he says works because of the increased control and momentum gain of the larger plastic ball and that it is harder for players to blow it by you.

Very interesting.

Does he vary the serves? With his BH serve, does he give you both dead, under, and top? Or does he do what a lot of choppers do, give you long attackable simple serves designed to get a specific loop so they can chop it?

I find in some games, if I win a lot of points of serves, I will occassionally lose those because I'm not taking advantage of my chopping. Instead of serving for defense, I serve for offense. Works in the beginning, then toward the end I haven't invested enough in the chopping and the attackers can outlast you. If you get them looping chops early, you can wear people down even though you may lose points or a game in the beginning.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 22:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

He's played a very long time so he can try all kinds of things. He is a good server and has a decent heavy topspin loop so he can do a variety of things. Modern defence is predicated on versatility. He is probably the most inventive and creative player I know.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 02:10 

Well, that was a SWEET point, and certainly worthy of that nice loud CHO at the end.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 22:58 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

https://youtu.be/q4VQhAMnCq4?t=656

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next