OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 22:54 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
LordCope wrote:
pgpg wrote:
LordCope and so_devo - are you guys available for a 'mission', as Der_Echte would put it?

Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also yes from me!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 01:07 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
So, will be in London from April 3rd, leaving Saturday morning, April 8th. Looks like will have time on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings. Hope we'll be able to get together for a hit.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 12:08 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Finally broke a streak of losses in the league (I think it reached 12 or 13 :@ ). Finished 3-3 today and it felt like I played better. Went back to DG/Baracuda setup, it just clicks better for me right now. Also feels like I can hit larger variety of shots with DG.

By the way, noticed that Dornenglanz is back in stock at tt11 - going to stock up, really love this rubber.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 15:00 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
There is a young 20s female chooper Chinese coach at the only full time club in Sac, CA, USA.

Today, I goofed off and chopped, using her bat with TSP LPs. On balls not hit hard, I really had to impact the ball. Vs a fast ball, the touch needed to make a good chop was much easier.

I never goofed off and used your bat against you, but my offer to play a mostly inverted chopping game for goofing off purposes still stands.

Glad to see you get sum mojo back in league.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 10:31 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
There is a young 20s female chooper Chinese coach at the only full time club in Sac, CA, USA.

Today, I goofed off and chopped, using her bat with TSP LPs. On balls not hit hard, I really had to impact the ball. Vs a fast ball, the touch needed to make a good chop was much easier.

I never goofed off and used your bat against you, but my offer to play a mostly inverted chopping game for goofing off purposes still stands.

Glad to see you get sum mojo back in league.

I see more and more people around me pick up LP bat, if only just for fun or to try out chopping, so, Der_Echte - come over to the dark side!

Will gladly take you up on the offer - we just need to get to the same state for starters. By the way, saw your results from last tournament - you were very generous with points, it seems. Tough crowd in California?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 15:18 

Couldn't see the ball at all in 80-90 percent of matches, floor and background mask the ball. I am still rated over 2000 in two different leagues here, (SAC TTC and Caltt.com) but looking at the USATT rating of who I beat and struggle against, it is likely my natural balance will 1850-1900 Bay area rating.

On one of two matches where I could see the ball even a little, I fought my azz off and dug it out from 6-10 to win at 12-10 in 5th vs a guy who USED to be 2100 USATT. Hahahahaha he is rated just under 1900 USATT bay area. Who the Who told USATT Ratings system he is 1900???!!! I thought I was playing vs a 2100 level guy. That guy could BRING it... at 200+ points lower level than he used to be.

I will do a few tourney where I can see the ball and the ratings points will work itself out to whatever it will. I didn't become a worse player in one day, I am actually playing better level than I did at NA Teams. I couldn't see the ball to save my life. I could have lost vs a 1500 player on 6 of those matches if you trotted one out to me.

I didn't know ratings went through. I estimated I lost 100-150 points.

Big deal, I will get them back in a venue I can see the ball.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 22:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Der_Echte wrote:
Couldn't see the ball at all in 80-90 percent of matches, floor and background mask the ball. I am still rated over 2000 in two different leagues here, (SAC TTC and Caltt.com) but looking at the USATT rating of who I beat and struggle against, it is likely my natural balance will 1850-1900 Bay area rating.

On one of two matches where I could see the ball even a little, I fought my azz off and dug it out from 6-10 to win at 12-10 in 5th vs a guy who USED to be 2100 USATT. Hahahahaha he is rated just under 1900 USATT bay area. Who the Who told USATT Ratings system he is 1900???!!! I thought I was playing vs a 2100 level guy. That guy could BRING it... at 200+ points lower level than he used to be.

I will do a few tourney where I can see the ball and the ratings points will work itself out to whatever it will. I didn't become a worse player in one day, I am actually playing better level than I did at NA Teams. I couldn't see the ball to save my life. I could have lost vs a 1500 player on 6 of those matches if you trotted one out to me.

I didn't know ratings went through. I estimated I lost 100-150 points.

Big deal, I will get them back in a venue I can see the ball.

A KAris hater was trying to tell me that Karis wasn't doing anything for you :D. I encouraged him to keep using his Tenergy 05 and that you would be fine.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 01:17 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Forgot to mention - during last league I broke two balls (XSF and NP40+), both on smashes - not edge hits. They broke before they hit the table, I think. Neither ball was mine :)

I guess I need to brush more :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 01:41 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
pgpg wrote:
Forgot to mention - during last league I broke two balls (XSF and NP40+), both on smashes - not edge hits. They broke before they hit the table, I think. Neither ball was mine :)

I guess I need to brush more :lol:

During my league session a week ago I broke THREE!!! Xsf 3 star balls with my JSH. Mostly on edge hits though.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 02:57 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Get the new DHS D40+ ball and make easily broken balls a thing of the past.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 03:13 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

I will eventually get new DHS40+, just can't be bothered to order from ttnpp right now. I'm reasonably happy with seamless ones I have lying around, plus would like to try it out first in person.

NL, are you planning to be in Westchester this weekend?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 04:38 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

I want to but cannot. I have informed Will about the new balls and would gladly have given him a free box in order to get him to consider changing to this ball.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 10:17 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Tournament report: Westchester March Open

Saturday: 6:2 record. Won all RR matches but was promptly bounced in SE stages ;(

U2000 O40: I believe it turned out to be unrated event - did not read signup form very closely, but matches in this event are missing in tournament report. Turned out to be a plus for me, since my worst loss came here - lost to MB, feisty anti player in QF. Did beat A-player in RR group, so it was a wash anyway.

U2000: highlight was upsetting A player, who had estimated rating of 1900 in what I thought was my best win of the weekend. Finally pulled a close one out, being down 5:9 in the 5th game and winning at deuce :rock: . Did lose an entertaining QF match 1:3 against a 1925 looper: he liked to loop, I was happy to chop, but was not that consistent later in the match.

Sunday: 5:6 record, but was reasonably happy in the end.

U1900: tough group draw. I was a 'C' player. 'A' player was another Anti blocker who is giving me fits (still did not beat him). Lost 1:3 in a frustrating match. I was a bit knocked out mentally more than I would've liked, good news is that it did not impact much of the day. B player was tough - beat him once before, but he improved since. Scratched out a win in 5. 'D' player was a tough penholder with short pips, rated ~100 points below me, but it was a struggle - again prevailed in 5. In SE stage got a guy rated at 1800, who simply shrugged away all LP balls and crushed me 3:0. Was simply outplayed - and he ended up winning both U1900 and U2050 quite easily, finishing at ~2050.

U2200: I was a lowly 'D' player. Did beat 'C' player though, who was quite aggressive, but missed more than he should've. This turned out to be my best win of the day, since he had a few nice upsets of his own and got adjusted. 'B' player was 2150 player masquerading as 1950 one, who beat me 3:0 easily. Almost pulled an upset against 'A' player in the last match: he was rated at 2080, but struggled that day, losing to B and C before me. Lost in 5, unfortunately - should've been smarter about serves, he was able to attack them more than I would've liked. Loss was a bummer - would've advanced otherwise.

U2050: Was pretty exhausted by then - lost to A quickly, who played very softly and let me make all mistakes. Almost lost to a 1600 junior, but he missed a few smashes in 5th, and I got two non-returnable nets exactly when I needed them. Lost to B, another chopper, and that was it for the day.

Gained quite a few points and ended up at 1825, finally breaking a 1800 barrier. Also managed to turn a tide in close matches - won 4 out of 5 that went full distance.

Made too many mistakes on BH chops, much to my dismay - 'they finally are looping to me and I'm missing short/hitting fingers etc.' :@ . Could've been more consistent on FH too, but that's old news.

Will go there again in April - hope I will be able to defend my new level :) .

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 17:06 

New Level Achieved !!!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 23:55 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
If you can run neck and neck with 1900-2000 players now... you will be there eventually. It's a matter of time. Congrats!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 70  Next