OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 13:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Put a newly arrived Nittaku Best ANti (1.8mm) onto a spare Defplay and played for a bit at the club.

Weird. Played it as an OX LP, which I'm most familiar with, and it was not behaving like one. Slower, not that much reversal close to the table, did not get good feel for chops yet. Lost a match to someone 200+ points below me. :( Obviosly a work in progress, but does not look too good at the moment.

Sword combo still feels awesome, however, especially forehand. Somehow it clicks - good balance and speed. Perhaps EJing does have a point...

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 11:59 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

pgpg wrote:
EJ loot from AliExpress arrived - didn't get a chance to glue any rubbers on, but took Sword 309 out of plastic wrap and waved it around a bit.

It weighed in at 87g (90g with plastic...) - just from holding it I did not get a feeling that 'wings' are too low, so perhaps it won't need any sanding down. But then I did not try to play with it yet, especially twiddling.

Since I liked Sword 309 a lot, I ordered two more :) . These arrived yesterday (fast again!) - weighed at 90 and 92 g, so pretty consistent. What I also like is that aliexpress shop threw in a couple of rubber protectors that actually FIT oversized defensive blades, which is pretty nice.

Will probably pair one of the extras with Dornenglanz and may be will try P4/P1-r with sponge on another one. Still waiting for additional AK47(blue) sheets - they were on a nice sale at ~11$, so grabbed a few. Chinese New Year got in the way for this order, though.

Still playing reasonably well, I think, most of improvement is on FH side, or perhaps it's an improved consistency - rallies seem to be longer these days. Further exploring this 'mudflap' shot that Zhang Guochi does with LP, lots of fun when it lands.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 11:12 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Put together a Sword combo #2: Dornenglanz on BH and 2008 XP on FH - did not have anything else for inverted. 2008 is in 1.8 mm and says sponge is 40 degrees, which presumably is on the softer side of things.

Played for a couple of hours in a club, but did not get to put it through a strenuous test - Saturdays are pretty laid back.
It felt pretty good overall, reminded me again why DG is such a great rubber.

One observation I made is that when I'm not particularly challenged in a match, it's much easier for me to stay in a rally (duh!), partially because I have fewer power shots to deal with, but also it's much easier to take my time, not rush a shot, and place it well. Every time I read Russian TT forums, people there bring up the 'pause' one is supposed to take before playing the shot - both for offensive and defensive players. The closest thing I've seen here - a popular tip of "you always have more time than you think".

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 23:16 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
pgpg wrote:
EJ loot from AliExpress arrived - didn't get a chance to glue any rubbers on, but took Sword 309 out of plastic wrap and waved it around a bit.

It weighed in at 87g (90g with plastic...) - just from holding it I did not get a feeling that 'wings' are too low, so perhaps it won't need any sanding down. But then I did not try to play with it yet, especially twiddling.

Since I liked Sword 309 a lot, I ordered two more :) . These arrived yesterday (fast again!) - weighed at 90 and 92 g, so pretty consistent. What I also like is that aliexpress shop threw in a couple of rubber protectors that actually FIT oversized defensive blades, which is pretty nice.

Will probably pair one of the extras with Dornenglanz and may be will try P4/P1-r with sponge on another one. Still waiting for additional AK47(blue) sheets - they were on a nice sale at ~11$, so grabbed a few. Chinese New Year got in the way for this order, though.

Still playing reasonably well, I think, most of improvement is on FH side, or perhaps it's an improved consistency - rallies seem to be longer these days. Further exploring this 'mudflap' shot that Zhang Guochi does with LP, lots of fun when it lands.

Really, the wings are fine to you? I can't fathom that. Unless you have unusually small hands for a big guy. I have pretty large hands for my size. Or...unless I happened to get 2 aberrant sword blades. Strange.

It really is a great blade, even if one doesn't consider the cost. It's an amazing blade at that cost.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 23:18 

pgpg wrote:
. Further exploring this 'mudflap' shot that Zhang Guochi does with LP, lots of fun when it lands.

I must've missed this one...what is this mudflap shot you speak of? 8)

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 23:38 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
. Further exploring this 'mudflap' shot that Zhang Guochi does with LP, lots of fun when it lands.

I must've missed this one...what is this mudflap shot you speak of? 8)

Not my term - 'nathanso' described it this way here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32433

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 23:43 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Really, the wings are fine to you? I can't fathom that. Unless you have unusually small hands for a big guy. I have pretty large hands for my size. Or...unless I happened to get 2 aberrant sword blades. Strange.

It really is a great blade, even if one doesn't consider the cost. It's an amazing blade at that cost.

I did have about a day of adjustment where I thought that I might get blister here and there, but it seems to be OK now. Perhaps it forced my grip to be lower on the handle or may be my grip was weird in the first place, hard to tell. Don't think I have small hands, but then I'm not measuring them obsessively either :).

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 00:23 

pgpg wrote:
I did have about a day of adjustment where I thought that I might get blister here and there, but it seems to be OK now. Perhaps it forced my grip to be lower on the handle or may be my grip was weird in the first place, hard to tell. Don't think I have small hands, but then I'm not measuring them obsessively either :).

Haha! Well, I'm not measuring, but I know I can palm a basketball, and that none of my buddies can...most taller than me.

There is probably a difference in the batch of blades, as mine are fairly old now. Maybe the fixed it, or maybe I got a weird set. I'm glad it's working for you, how's the Scylla compared to DG?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 02:42 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:

how's the Scylla compared to DG?

I think Scylla has harder pips and less dangerous balls close to the table - one of the guys in the club keeps telling me that DG was the worst for him when he played me. Can hit underspin aggressively with both.

Chops are fine with both, I think. Disclaimer - DG on Sword is brand new right now, and probably still has more grip than usual (comes with a pretty sticky protective foil out of the package).

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 05:51 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Saw email in my inbox with the header of "Clean Your LPs the Okki Nokki Way". Took me a while to realize that they are talking about other kind of LPs (music ones)... Was somewhat disappointed.

:lol: :?: :P ;)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 06:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
pgpg wrote:
Put a newly arrived Nittaku Best ANti (1.8mm) onto a spare Defplay and played for a bit at the club.

Weird. Played it as an OX LP, which I'm most familiar with, and it was not behaving like one. Slower, not that much reversal close to the table, did not get good feel for chops yet. Lost a match to someone 200+ points below me. :( Obviosly a work in progress, but does not look too good at the moment.

Sword combo still feels awesome, however, especially forehand. Somehow it clicks - good balance and speed. Perhaps EJing does have a point...

I just found this comment re best anti.the anti is good against serves and heavy topspin but it doesnt do much along the lines of deception.its hard work chopping etc but im very used to it.im trying ox dtecs and loving them-i find them easy to play with on the slow defplay.im near the end of the season so im not going to use the pips yet in a match with good players.i will later and ill see how it goes.the anti has amazing control but good players soon read it.its got me up the league ladder so to speak but the ox pips may get me futher :up:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 12:33 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

peterpong wrote:
pgpg wrote:

I just found this comment re best anti.the anti is good against serves and heavy topspin but it doesnt do much along the lines of deception.its hard work chopping etc but im very used to it.im trying ox dtecs and loving them-i find them easy to play with on the slow defplay.im near the end of the season so im not going to use the pips yet in a match with good players.i will later and ill see how it goes.the anti has amazing control but good players soon read it.its got me up the league ladder so to speak but the ox pips may get me futher :up:

Apparently slick antis are where it's at right now for deception, so cool kids play with Diabolic and such. Tempted to try at some point - watch this, especially how ball bounces on some of anti returns (dealing with chops apparently is a breeze, especially if they have some sidespin :devil: ):

Last edited by pgpg on 25 Feb 2018, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 10:27 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Posted this earlier in another thread:

I got a couple of Zeus sheets recently from aliexpress (Black OX) and just put one of them onto Sword 309 Def.

I think base sheet is really thin (also shiny), it took some effort to put it flat on the blade even with glue sheet, it was so 'wobbly'. Ended up with few air bubbles, but needle took care of it. Ribbed tops, and just by eyeballing it next to Dornenglanz (which appears to have smooth tops to me), it *looks* like pips are more densely packed on Zeus. Scylla has 'fattest' pips among the three I have in front of me right now, I think, so looks even denser. By the way, shouldn't pip dimensions and spacing be listed somewhere on the packaging? Feels like it is important for LP playing characteristics...

Hard to tell how fast it is, will give it a shot over the weekend.

So, moved 2008 XP to it and tried it for one match at the club today. To be honest, nothing special: didn't think Zeus was particularly fast, and few chops I made did not seem that loaded either. Went back to Scylla/AK47 thing for the rest of the day.

Did beat J, our local LP/SP guru (~2200) 3:0 in the first match, but lost other two 0:3 - somehow my aggressive LP shots stopped landing. In the first match I won plenty of points in LP-to-LP match ups and he missed plenty of attacks against my chops or pushes. Looks like he made adjustments and my spark went away. Still, I beat him twice in the last month, so that's a plus (club matches with nothing on the line though, so won't read too much into it).

Then lost a match to someone close to my level - annoyingly was mounting a comeback with being up 7:1 in the 4th game, but lost it at deuce. Bummer...

Last edited by pgpg on 27 Feb 2018, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 11:33 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
pgpg's blog has over 50,000 views. That is one well watched blog my friend.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 13:24 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
pgpg's blog has over 50,000 views. That is one well watched blog my friend.

Yep, saw it too :rock: - hopefully it's not mostly Google/Yahoo/Bing indexing crawlers :).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 70  Next