OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 11:10 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Another tournament report. Played both Saturday and Sunday, and as promised, decided to go with only 2 events per day, to cut down on matches.

It definitely was smart on Saturday, where I went 9:2 and was pretty deep into SE (but no trophies...), so a 3rd event would've been way too much.

Went 3:0 in U2000 RR as a second seed, but 'A' player had estimated rating and was pretty close to me (I won 16:14 in the 5th, so it's as close as it gets). Beat 'B' player easily (who keeps saying how he hates pips), and more or less the same with 'D' junior.

Had pretty simple 1/8 match, but then in QF ran into a rapidly improving kid (~1900) who took quite a few scalps a month ago. Much to my surprise I took first game easily, but then he proceeded to do the same in the next 3.

Went 3:0 in U1750 RR, with uneventful games against 'B' and 'C' players, but then unexpectedly went 5 games against ~850 'D' player (one more lesson of not playing the rating but the player). Barely escaped, at deuce and surviving at least one match point - hard to play juniors when they intend to hit anything that moves and start landing them.

Again a rather straightforward 1/8th and in QF again played a kid from my U2000 group - only this time he was on fire. Fell back 1:2, but kept it simple in the 4th, pretty much purely defending and took it easily. In the 5th, however, it was not fun as I fell behind again, and it looked pretty grim at 6:10 :sweat: . Well, somehow I pulled it off :rock: , but poor kid was very upset ;( . In SF ran into a carbon copy of myself (but much funkier OX pips and a better FH). Lost in a very tight 1:3, with too many deuces.

On Sunday started with U1900 - did go 2:1 with losing to a somewhat underrated A seed 0:3. In QF ran into someone I played a long time ago - I beat her pretty easily 3:0 then, but she improved quite a bit and was rated ~100 points above me. It went back and forth to the 5th, where it was my turn to blow it at 10:6 :@ . Not happy at all, but then remembered that I was on the other side of the same scenario on Saturday, so it helped a bit. A bummer, since draw was quite favorable the rest of the SE round...

U2050 I somehow got placed into the group with my 2 clubmates. Beat a D player and rather uneventfully lost to both 'A' (0:3) and 'B' (1:3). And that was pretty much it.

Some thoughts and other tidbits:

* Was unable to reunite with my paddles I left behind 2 months ago. While they did find a paddle case that looked just like mine, unfortunately it had only 2-3 well used rubbers inside, but not 2 of my tried and true Defplay setups. So, I guess I'll need to find another Defplay somewhere.

* Met with 'kaesees' and even hit with him for a bit - always nice to meet someone from the forum in person.

* My only 'moment of zen' over the entire weekend was ~5 minutes of a warm up when I somehow had a FH that did not miss and had these nice balls with decent speed and spin. Need to recapture it somehow, at least in practice to start with.

* Watched Jian Li practicing and, well, his chops are much more 'violent' - he is really making an aggressive motion there, so ball gets massive backspin and is just gliding to the end line. Mine are much more smooth, I think, and not as dangerous. Need to practice that.

* Overall, it feels like game is sort of in a funk - not much progress, perhaps I'm even going backwards a bit. Not really threatening anyone above me lately. Perhaps in addition to flawed technique I'm now also suffering from lack of tactics and strategy, which is a lethal combo...

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 21:33 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Went 1:5 in the league last night, but played better than average, if it makes any sense. It was emptier than usual, I guess people chose trick-or-treating with their kids on Halloween or something.

Just for kicks played one game with Defplay/Marder/Dtecs OX to spice it up. Lost that one.

Did beat one guy for the first time, I think (though he was not playing at full strength, I suspect) and lost in 5 to a ~1950 USATT player.

On BH managed to execute 'inverted'-style drive a few times (it has no spin though) - kind of useful. Also on occasion did a really nasty quick push(?) of the bounce with pips - need to figure out how to do it more often.

Edit: tournament results got posted - gained ~20 points. Looks like my win over unrated player was much better than I thought.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 09:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Played with 'so_devo' at his club in undisclosed location (~45min east of London). Nice 2-table setup in a community center, very nice conditions (walls could be a bit darker, but that's about it). Lost valiantly first match in the morning 1:3 (but it was nicely close) and then 0:3 in the afternoon in a much more lopsided way - his diagnosis was that I was much slower in the second match, and I sure felt that as well (makes me wonder how do I manage to play in the tournaments at all, many more matches there).

Got to play some of his friends too - won both singles (3:1 and 3:2), and then totally bombed in doubles, losing all 3 matches. Not surprised, I have zero doubles experience.

I'm told there is a footage of my crappy match against 'so_devo', so something might get posted - although it might be a very selective edit of my one very awesome chop. We'll see. 8)

P.S. Many thanks to 'so_devo' for making it happen. Hope I can return favor one day.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 21:01 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
My pleasure as always.

I'll write a little more later but quickly here is the pgpg super chop. (apologies for the quality, the sun was coming in under the blinds and I should have raised the camera)

185g

Last edited by so_devo on 06 Nov 2017, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 21:20 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
so_devo wrote:
My pleasure as always.

I'll write a little more later but quickly here is the pgpg super chop. (apologies for the quality, the sun was coming in under the blinds and I should have raised the camera)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/Us8ZVlfBNWI[/youtube]

I get a 404 page. :(

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 21:24 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

so_devo wrote:
My pleasure as always.

Fixed

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 22:04 
Blockhead
Blockhead

pgpg wrote:
so_devo wrote:
My pleasure as always.

Fixed

Thanks! If my 3rd loop came back that nasty everytime, I would retire.....

185g

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 00:54 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

As usual, I expected this chop to be much more elegant and better looking (it was effective, though, if not a bit lucky). But - what we think and what we do are quite different...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 01:00 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Again apologies for the quality but here is a digest of the end of day match. Shame we didn't film the first, as pgpg was a lot sharper then and we had a closer match.

185g

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 01:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
excellent gentlemen :up:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 22:54 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
As usual, I expected this chop to be much more elegant and better looking (it was effective, though, if not a bit lucky). But - what we think and what we do are quite different...

I know, isn't that the worst? Video enlightened me to the fact that my BH chop has a weird aesthetic as well, where I move too much of my upper arm and stiffly follow through. My forearm stays too parallel with the ground and my upper arm is doing too much of the work. In my head, it looked far different and I had classic technique and follow through! Haha :lol: Such a blow to my ego and the image in my head of an artistic looking game (if not a winning one).

I have been trying to correct this technical problem, and it looks better in drills, but in the game I revert. I am going to have to work on correcting this after the NA Teams because I don't want to be thinking about this during the competition. Honestly, i think I developed this habit chopping with OX....because with sponged LPs when I was beginning, my chop looked much better.
My forehand chop, ironically looks much more technically correct.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Last edited by Japsican on 08 Nov 2017, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 22:55 

As for the video, very well done! So_Devo is a tough customer as I've come to discover. Why were you in the UK?

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 23:08 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
As for the video, very well done! So_Devo is a tough customer as I've come to discover. Why were you in the UK?

Short business trip with weekend stay tacked on. You played so_devo or is it coming from videos? He is a tough match player, as attested by his club mates.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 01:02 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Japsican wrote:
I know, isn't that the worst? Video enlightened me to the fact that my BH chop has a weird aesthetic as well, where I move too much of my upper arm and stiffly follow through. My forearm stays too parallel with the ground and my upper arm is doing too much of the work. In my head, it looked far different and I had classic technique and follow through! Haha :lol: Such a blow to my ego and the image in my head of an artistic looking game (if not a winning one).

Ha.. I can totally relate to that. You would not know in a million years until you watch yourself chop. I've been filming every single one of my training sessions for the past 5-6 months. My routine is I go back, review the recording once, maybe save a rally or two... then delete the original from my phone and repeat. It is taking a very long time to get to a consistent, "textbook" BH chop, with the proper footwork, body angle, follow through and everything else. And it never looks as good as the image I have in my head

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 03:16 

notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Ha.. I can totally relate to that. You would not know in a million years until you watch yourself chop. I've been filming every single one of my training sessions for the past 5-6 months. My routine is I go back, review the recording once, maybe save a rally or two... then delete the original from my phone and repeat. It is taking a very long time to get to a consistent, "textbook" BH chop, with the proper footwork, body angle, follow through and everything else. And it never looks as good as the image I have in my head

It's further confounded by the fact that form doesn't always correlate to winning or improving. So you may have great results with bad form. :headbang:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 70  Next