OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 May 2018, 16:43


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 52  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 04:15 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Japsican wrote:
Nah, depends on the blade and rubber. If you have a clicky rubber, or a thin rubber, there will be noise. Listen to Chtchetinine's matches, his forehands are loud. I don't think any of us would refute the proficiency of his FH chop.

I bet Pgpg saw mostly chinese choppers and the all use Max Hurricane which is very quiet and thick.


Yes, it was prompted by seeing a guy from Shaanxi up close at the Teams. I think I got the same impression from Earl Alto too, at last year's US Open. Neither Jian Li or Wei Wang chop that much on FH from what I saw, and Jian's BH chops with OX are definitely not 'silent'. :)

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 15:16 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 06:17
Posts: 893
Location: Yorkshire
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.7boosted
BH: 388d ox
Japsican wrote:
what's the Defense Alpha like? I imagine that it's similar to the Donier Def...super flexy and low throw?

It's discontinued yes?


Yes Alpha is discontinued,I didn`t find it flexy it`s almost 6.5 mm thickness,heavy oversized.Alpha plays very flat which is good for chopping ,not so good for topspin,there is a big dwell which dosn`t help attack,I could chop as well with a Defplay with much better f/h attacking possibilities,of course this was in the celluloid era

_________________
Modified Yin-He T2 Tenergy 05 fx 1.9/388d ox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 07:51 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Results from Teams tournament got processed - picked up ~30 points and am again ineligible to play U1750 :P . Looks like many forum members had a successful tournament: NextLevel, Japsican, fastmover, heavyspin, Pushblocker et al. picked up quite a few points, so all these posts (and may be even some training) did pay off in the end.

Also, it looks like a lot of my club mates, especially the ones who do not play USATT tournaments that often, got a nice ratings bump as well, so me consistently losing to them at least makes more sense now. :lol:

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 13:39 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2009, 02:32
Posts: 166
Location: MD, USA
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Blade: JSH
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Curl P4
pgpg wrote:
so all these posts (and may be even some training) did pay off in the end.


Nah.. It’s all about making sure you play with the correct equipment... and choosing the blade and pips that give you the best feel :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 00:21 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 2175
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 496 times
Been thanked: 439 times
Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Dornenglanz (or DG II) Ox
pgpg wrote:
Results from Teams tournament got processed - picked up ~30 points and am again ineligible to play U1750 :P . Looks like many forum members had a successful tournament: NextLevel, Japsican, fastmover, heavyspin, Pushblocker et al. picked up quite a few points, so all these posts (and may be even some training) did pay off in the end.

Also, it looks like a lot of my club mates, especially the ones who do not play USATT tournaments that often, got a nice ratings bump as well, so me consistently losing to them at least makes more sense now. :lol:

All the underrated juniors that owned beat me were really underrated and got adjusted. The ones I beat gave me a ratings boost.
You know how some tournaments you lose rating points but feel good about your performance? And then there are some tournaments where you feel you performed poorly but somehow gained points? I still feel toward the latter. For me the highlight was seeing everyone.
How were you physically after the tournament? My back still hasn't recovered.

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 00:57 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Japsican wrote:
...
How were you physically after the tournament? My back still hasn't recovered.


I think my body was more or less fine, may be my knees would disagree somewhat, though - all these matches added up. Did pick up a low level cold, I think, but it's almost gone by now.

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 23:23 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
So, it's been a while, time to update the blog...

While visiting friends in Chicago couple of weeks ago, played in a tournament there (Aurora Cup) - only two events and did OK but not great. Lost a couple of 5-game matches, ran into a ringer in one of the groups (it did not help that they only advanced one person out of RR group, not a fan of this system...).

Played a bit of basement ping pong with friends (crushed them! :P ), and traded one of my VKM (flared, with Rasant and DG) for Butterfly Matsushita Pro of his. Somehow he ended up with it a few years back - PaddlePalace set him up with it, and it even has Feint Long II(0.5mm) on BH to boot! He liked my VKM/Dornenglanz better, especially after I showed him a few LP tricks. He's now buying a robot - need to convince him to play a tournament next year...

As always after the tournament, going to EJ a little: want to try out BTY Mat Pro, also ordered Sword 309 from Ali Express (looks like package is already waiting for me at home, 6-day shipping is not bad at all!) together with couple of semi-obscure LPs (Sanwei Code and Scylla Sword), plus DHS PF4 and Palio AK47. Also making its way from tt-japan is a Nittaku Best Anti and TSP SuperSpinPips Chop 2. That should round up all 'dark side' options, I think.

Club play is in a reasonably good spot: had a couple of first time wins and very close losses against few folks I've always considered to be a level above me. Mostly trying not to rush things, stay low/crouched, watch the ball, and not go for hero shots. Need to beef up attack on BH with LP too, missing quite a few high balls lately, and in general putting more pressure on opponent with faster LP returns.

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 00:42 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 00:31
Posts: 411
Location: Maryland, USA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 70 times
Blade: VKMO
FH: Yasaka Mark V GPS Red Max
BH: TSP SSPC2 Black 1.9mm
pgpg wrote:
So, it's been a while, time to update the blog...

While visiting friends in Chicago couple of weeks ago, played in a tournament there (Aurora Cup) - only two events and did OK but not great. Lost a couple of 5-game matches, ran into a ringer in one of the groups (it did not help that they only advanced one person out of RR group, not a fan of this system...).

Played a bit of basement ping pong with friends (crushed them! :P ), and traded one of my VKM (flared, with Rasant and DG) for Butterfly Matsushita Pro of his. Somehow he ended up with it a few years back - PaddlePalace set him up with it, and it even has Feint Long II(0.5mm) on BH to boot! He liked my VKM/Dornenglanz better, especially after I showed him a few LP tricks. He's now buying a robot - need to convince him to play a tournament next year...

As always after the tournament, going to EJ a little: want to try out BTY Mat Pro, also ordered Sword 309 from Ali Express (looks like package is already waiting for me at home, 6-day shipping is not bad at all!) together with couple of semi-obscure LPs (Sanwei Code and Scylla Sword), plus DHS PF4 and Palio AK47. Also making its way from tt-japan is a Nittaku Best Anti and TSP SuperSpinPips Chop 2. That should round up all 'dark side' options, I think.

Club play is in a reasonably good spot: had a couple of first time wins and very close losses against few folks I've always considered to be a level above me. Mostly trying not to rush things, stay low/crouched, watch the ball, and not go for hero shots. Need to beef up attack on BH with LP too, missing quite a few high balls lately, and in general putting more pressure on opponent with faster LP returns.

Heh, I'm really intrigued on how you find the TSP SSCP2's performance to be.

_________________
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita Offensive FL
FH: Yasaka Mark V GPS Max
BH: TSP SuperSpinPips Chop 2 1.9

Rating: Recreational Player


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 02:05 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
EJ loot from AliExpress arrived - didn't get a chance to glue any rubbers on, but took Sword 309 out of plastic wrap and waved it around a bit.

It weighed in at 87g (90g with plastic...) - just from holding it I did not get a feeling that 'wings' are too low, so perhaps it won't need any sanding down. But then I did not try to play with it yet, especially twiddling.

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 03:43 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 2175
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 496 times
Been thanked: 439 times
Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Dornenglanz (or DG II) Ox
pgpg wrote:
Played a bit of basement ping pong with friends (crushed them! :P ), and traded one of my VKM (flared, with Rasant and DG) for Butterfly Matsushita Pro of his. Somehow he ended up with it a few years back - PaddlePalace set him up with it, and it even has Feint Long II(0.5mm) on BH to boot! He liked my VKM/Dornenglanz better, especially after I showed him a few LP tricks. He's now buying a robot - need to convince him to play a tournament next year...


What?! Highway robbery. VKM for Mats Pro? Clearly didn't get on ebay to see how much those are going for...assuming the condition is similar.

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 03:59 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Played a bit of basement ping pong with friends (crushed them! :P ), and traded one of my VKM (flared, with Rasant and DG) for Butterfly Matsushita Pro of his. Somehow he ended up with it a few years back - PaddlePalace set him up with it, and it even has Feint Long II(0.5mm) on BH to boot! He liked my VKM/Dornenglanz better, especially after I showed him a few LP tricks. He's now buying a robot - need to convince him to play a tournament next year...


What?! Highway robbery. VKM for Mats Pro? Clearly didn't get on ebay to see how much those are going for...assuming the condition is similar.


I had no idea what it is going for (looks like ~140$ or so) - was mostly looking at it from 'I never tried it, and heard Jian Li uses it, plus I already have 2 VKMs' perspective. It's not 'Mat Pro Special', by the way. Condition is normal, not pristine, but not beat up either. I guess I owe my friend a bottle of nice cognac or something 8)

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 05:05 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 2175
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 496 times
Been thanked: 439 times
Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Dornenglanz (or DG II) Ox
pgpg wrote:
Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Played a bit of basement ping pong with friends (crushed them! :P ), and traded one of my VKM (flared, with Rasant and DG) for Butterfly Matsushita Pro of his. Somehow he ended up with it a few years back - PaddlePalace set him up with it, and it even has Feint Long II(0.5mm) on BH to boot! He liked my VKM/Dornenglanz better, especially after I showed him a few LP tricks. He's now buying a robot - need to convince him to play a tournament next year...


What?! Highway robbery. VKM for Mats Pro? Clearly didn't get on ebay to see how much those are going for...assuming the condition is similar.


I had no idea what it is going for (looks like ~140$ or so) - was mostly looking at it from 'I never tried it, and heard Jian Li uses it, plus I already have 2 VKMs' perspective. It's not 'Mat Pro Special', by the way. Condition is normal, not pristine, but not beat up either. I guess I owe my friend a bottle of nice cognac or something 8)

Haha, nah.

The price isn't that different, but the rarity is a hard to quantify. Does Jian use the Pro Special? I thought it was the normal PRO.

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 12:08 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Put together few setups to satisfy EJ urge:

Sword 309 + Scylla OX + Palio AK47 blue
Matsushita Pro + Feint Long II (1mm) + DHS PF4

That Sword combo is REALLY good. Somehow FH feels comfortable, fast enough but nice control and placement. Scylla for me appears to be somewhere between Cloud&Fog III and Dornenglanz - pretty fast, lots of backspin on chops, easy to hit backspin with. Really pleased with this setup.

I don't feel discomfort from low wings on the blade so far, but handle is not the most comfortable, almost developed a blister at the base of a ring finger. May be will try a grip tape.

Matsushita Pro combo is quite different (duh!) - much slower, more of a 'thonk' sound, especially on FH. Blade feels closer to VKM in feel (surprise...). PF4 is very tacky(?), protection film sticks to it very well. Very nice pushes and FH chops, good controlled loops. Did not get to play with it much, but BH chops when they cleared the net were quite pleasant.

Will put Sword through more matches tomorrow.

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Last edited by pgpg on 29 Jan 2018, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 10:00 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Played a bit more today with Sword combo and still love it.

At one point I had this ~5min stretch during warmup where I thought I actually did most of my strokes right (on FH) - at least in my mind I was pretty agile on my feet too, bouncing and moving between strokes. That sh*t is exhausting! You have to move, crouch, all these micro movements etc. 'Potted plant' approach to TT is much more energy efficient...

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 10:40 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Apparently we are not the only ones who are deeply interested in ratings/rankings: :geek:

Ranking in Super Smash Bros Melee (very popular video game by Nintendo):

http://planetbanatt.net/articles/ambistats.html

Discussion on HackerNews:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16255910

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 52  Next




All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: