OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 03:08 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Chopper Leo from pgpg's club is at all time high of 2040...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 03:48 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
notfound123 wrote:
Congrats! Only 89 points to go to reach the magic number :)

Heh, knowing how these things go, I might make it in ~3 years or so... May be.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 03:49 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
Chopper Leo from pgpg's club is at all time high of 2040...

Yup, now I don't feel as bad losing to him most of the time (although it's usually quite close).

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 19:30 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Setubal Day 2.

Group session in the morning, 4-5 adult players, some coming from Lisbon, I'm told. I practiced some drills with David: short FH push, 2 FH loop, cross-court or down the line. Then played couple of matches with an older guy with OX setup. Split them 3:1 and 2:3, he had a decent FH to put away loose balls and moved quite well too.

In the afternoon it was more about FH drills - not surprisingly, I have quite a few flaws: not staying low (bobbing up and down), not taking ball in front of my belly button, being tense, and in general not generating much spin :( . Had some interesting drills to start fixing few of them. Got compliments on my LP play, though.

In the evening it was more of a match practice with club players (better than me) and the coach - not surprisingly I lost them, with some fight, though. David also picked out my crappy pushes on FH against heavy backspin - pretty sure there will be a drill for that soon.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 22:10 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
Going to JOOLA with Defplay/AK47/Dtecs combo, feels very good right now (LP blocks are better than chops, though).

I didn't realize you changed your LP and I didn't realize you used that new setup at the teams!

I think I'm going to try to stay closer to the table as my new change of style. What about the Dtecs/Defplay combo did you like so much? I have a sheet still. Why not DG?

I only ask because I have DG on my defplay, but I mostly chop with it, and do at the table pushing. I find it squirrelly at times when chop blocking or passive blocking against lots of pace. Is that it?

And again, congrats on the rating!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 23:31 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
I think this is a new 'subbed' video from a Korean pro player whose name escapes me (I'm sure I saw/posted her videos on some other thread, but can't find it now). Don't think I saw it with English subtitles before:

This is very good stuff!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 00:12 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Going to JOOLA with Defplay/AK47/Dtecs combo, feels very good right now (LP blocks are better than chops, though).

I didn't realize you changed your LP and I didn't realize you used that new setup at the teams!

I think I'm going to try to stay closer to the table as my new change of style. What about the Dtecs/Defplay combo did you like so much? I have a sheet still. Why not DG?

I only ask because I have DG on my defplay, but I mostly chop with it, and do at the table pushing. I find it squirrelly at times when chop blocking or passive blocking against lots of pace. Is that it?

And again, congrats on the rating!

I did not really 'change' LP, more like swapped the entire combo (was using Barricade before). I 'auditioned' some of the combos I have two weeks before the tournament and Defplay/Dtecs/AK47 felt most comfortable. I think it's not too fast on FH (although might promote flat hits, I think), so lets me land more shots. It was pretty consistent at the table on BH - I spend most of time there anyway, only with occasional emergency chop.

Plus I watched quite a few videos by Park Hyun Mi, and she uses Dtecs OX ,so I guess I was swayed that way too 8) .

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 07:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Setubal Days 3 and 4 ( I guess I'm getting lazy or perhaps local wine is too good)

Training more or less settled into routine: multiball of various kinds spread over morning and afternoon sessions, more match opportunities in the evening. Various drills that mostly make you move in a different way, mixing and matching short/long, FH/BH, push/topspin etc. Pretty educational. And yes, we practiced FH pushes.

I was told immediately that I should breathe during multi-ball - sounds obvious, but when you are tense and keep thinking where the next ball will go, you actually forget, which obviously makes you tired very quickly. It's also easier to relax once you are breathing :oops: . I found that it takes me 2-3 attempts at any multi-ball drill to figure out how to do it, and after that it becomes quite a bit easier once you settle into more or less mindless routine, which I guess is the point.

Most important distinction between this club and my home one: people come to practice here, with coach watching over, telling who is plying with whom, and somewhat guiding what they should be focused on. Couple of times I was paired with various juniors who were practicing their serves and I was doing receives, sometimes in a specific way, like using FH only, or in free format. Folks are very friendly - got to play with couple of gents like myself, Herman and Pedro, today. Juniors are very well-behaved and nice too. Most speak at least some English, so not a lot of language barrier.

Attachment:
herman.jpg
herman.jpg [ 877.66 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Attachment:
pedro.jpg
pedro.jpg [ 946.34 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Took coaches and their families to dinner last night - we went to a restaurant they suggested that is famous for the local specialty 'Choco Frito': deep fried cuttlefish. Very tasty, especially when coupled with a local white wine:

Attachment:
choco_frito.jpg
choco_frito.jpg [ 964.88 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 01:18 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Setubal Day 5 (the last, but still in progress)

Taking it a bit slow today - David and the rest of the team are flying out to Azores for a league match. Practiced in the morning with another club player (Nuno?) under David's supervision. Did beat him in the end in 5, so I'm not doing too badly :rock: .

Attachment:
nuno.jpg
nuno.jpg [ 925.88 KiB | Viewed 3059 times ]

Pic with both coaches (do I look fat? ;( ) :

Attachment:
diniz.jpg
diniz.jpg [ 835.62 KiB | Viewed 3059 times ]

Acquired club shirt for my collection as well:

Attachment:
jersey_setubal.jpg
jersey_setubal.jpg [ 971.96 KiB | Viewed 3059 times ]

Most likely will have one more low intensity practice session tonight and then will venture out to a nearby restaurant to try some steaks with local red wine (which is very good, by the way).

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 09:24 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

The rest of the day played out somewhat in a different way: David and the rest of the team managed to miss the flight to Azores (massive traffic jam caused by an accident), so they'll have to go in the early morning instead. Since both coaches were gone, not a lot of training happened.

Got a chance to explore a bit of Setubal in the evening - nearby steakhouse was fully booked (it's a low season, but Friday night, so having a reservation would've been nice...), instead headed to waterfront to get a decent meal at a seafood restaurant. It's a port town, after all.

It was a blast - I can cross off 'living in TT club' off my bucket list now. May thanks to coaches David and Domingos Diniz, their lovely wives, and everyone in the club: Rafael, Guilhermo, Pedro, Duarte, Arturo, and I'm pretty sure I forgot many others.

I'm bringing back a bunch of memories, perhaps somewhat better understanding of the game, new TT club jersey, 3 bottles of wine (so far), and a new paddle: Andro Fibercomp Def with Rasanter V42 (LP is TBD, I have several idle ones at home). I also will need to finish 1st season of 'Narcos' we've been watching during our lunches at the club.

:up: :rock: :)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 00:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Went 1:4 in the league last night, could've been easily 3:2 since I lost few close games, but oh well... No miraculous breakthroughs.

It was interesting how alien club conditions felt after a week in Setubal: floor, tables, lights, ball, space available - everything was just different enough.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 01:00 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Haha Peter, carbon copy of my league and I lost 2 close ones I shoulda won. I went 1-4 instead of 3-2...

Better to fail at home club vs familiar players than to fail that way in an important tourney.

I credit playing vs a Ukranian 2200 and Romanian 2200 2x weekly and such failures at home club for my improvement of 1.5 to 2 levels over the last year.

There is certainly value there. You have also benefitted similarly in your tourney performance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 23:05 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

I'm beginning to suspect that I'm not breathing during the point as well - which is obviously not good ;(

Went 1-5 in the league last night. Did not play that badly and actually thought I was doing few things right, but it did not translate into better W-L record yet.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 23:08 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Look what Santa (ok, colleague at work) got me. Oops, you can't actually see it, since I'm getting a message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Huh, what does it even mean?

Anyway, it's a DHS A1002 paddle :rofl: . But wait - it's autographed by Zhang Jike :clap: .

Edit: looks like attachment quota is by number of attachments? ;( Deleted one image from a very old post and now it seems to work.

Attachment:
dhs.jpg
dhs.jpg [ 924.54 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 13:14 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

A bit of experimentation (a.k.a. EJing). On Tuesday played one match with Andro Fibercomp Def/Rasanter V42/Dawei 388-d1 (0.5mm). Kind of a weird vibe on that one - feels more head heavy than I used to. FH appears 'softer', and BH lost consistency right away. Will try again later.

Today also finally got to try a Galaxy T10/Gambler Zero/Dawei 388d-1 (OX), combo I ordered from colestt few weeks ago. T10 is a thick balsa/carbon blade (quite light and fast per description) and is supposedly more of a hitting one. I kind of view this as my attempt to imitate 'Achuma' setup Der_Echte described few times in the past.

What can I say - it's definitely different. Feels fast and slow at the same time, somehow. Nice BH with wonderfully weird balls. FH is a bit strange, but intriguing. Just for fun tried to twiddle and hit with pips on FH and it actually worked almost on first try ( I checked, and I still can't do it with Defplay/Dtecs)! Discovered a weird BH attacking shot with it too, looks like hitting with pips is easier. Makes very strange sounds overall :P .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 70  Next