OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ringer's Blog
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2015, 18:51 

Blade: Re-Impact Smart
FH: Hellfire OX
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.7mm
You always can variate serve with spin, location, speed. But in my opinion, a serve that you should dominate is heavy backspin short, at least two bounces on your opponent side. You will see benefits from this serve when you are playing stronger competition

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2015, 23:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Has anybody else tried training with a barrier above the net? I rigged one out of a couple boxes and a curtain rod, but it didn't work that well. I periodically consider buying the killerspin one, but the absurd $90 price puts me off. And larrytt has blogged before about a pencils and string homemade one.

At least if the serve is low always, it won't win points outright, but gets a manageable third ball.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 00:31 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I did the pencil and string thng a while back inspired by pingskills. If I had my own table, I would do it again. Just got tired of the set up and the attention it brought ar my club.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 01:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Couple notched pieces of wood, some string and some clamps...all you need.

It's a bit of a pain to setup.

I believe really low serves matter a ton. I heard most pro's add side spin to the ball because it's less likely to jump up. If the ball is lower than the net on the return side when touched means the returner must lift the ball and have it come back down on the table. This seems more important when playing against pips. Not so easy to push block strongly then!

That's a theory of mine at least. My serves are too high right now.

Edit: my setup

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 05:51 
Super User

Got to about 25 seconds and around 90 hits. Not sure if I will continue this exercise or not. I probably will... it's taught me a great deal.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 14:45 
Super User

I'll be out of table tennis for the next 2 weeks or so. I have a friend coming to visit me from California and work is unusually busy for this time of year. Last time I played, I played some of the best ma tches of my life, so I just wanted to jot down a few notes about why I played so well before I take this little hiatus:

1) Slow down and calm down - I've come to realize that I'm such a nervous person that it is literally impossible for me to slow down too much, or be too calm. The ball bounce against the side of the table helped me understand what it means to have a completely still mind.

2) Eye level should place the net cord at about the halfway point on your opponents side of the table in the ready position. Got this tip from a Killerspin video. I've come to realize that Iwas bending my knees WAY too much when receiving.

3) Less upper arm and more elbow while serving. Use a lower toss. Need more snap.

4) Bh loop against block needs to have the elbow out farther laterally so the ball can be struck properly in front of the stomach. Need to stop starting every stroke from the left hip.

Those were the 4 things I did differently the last time I played. They don't seem all that significant, so maybe I was just having a good day or something. I've come to realize that the strongest part of my game are my agressive tendencies. I almost never push against long serves or against deep backspin balls.

Enjoy your TT, guys!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 01:07 
Super User

So I had my first training session in about 2 weeks last night, and it was the best training session I've had in a long time. I'm starting to get good dwell time and spin from both wings now, especially against incoming topspin. Of course I am referring to static multiball type exercises, and not random drills or drills with a significant amount of footwork. My opening loops against backspin are still a bit shaky, however, especially after recovering from a serve. I believe this in part due to improper foot position after serving, whereby I recover into a backhand dominant position with the right foot even or in front of the left. NL mentioned this same thing to another poster on MYTT and I believe I have the same problem, except worse.

As eager as I am to start applying my strokes to a wide varierty of spins (like BRS is doing), I feel that I'm still getting alot of benefit out of more static/block type training. So I will continue this way for a little while longer.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 01:31 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Ringer84 wrote:

2) Eye level should place the net cord at about the halfway point on your opponents side of the table in the ready position. Got this tip from a Killerspin video. I've come to realize that Iwas bending my knees WAY too much when receiving.

Interesting - I was wondering whether there is a tip like that. Nice, will try it... Do you happen to have a link to the video in question?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 01:52 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
Ringer84 wrote:

Interesting - I was wondering whether there is a tip like that. Nice, will try it... Do you happen to have a link to the video in question?

Here ya go!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 20:15 

Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: Donic Bluefire JP02
BH: Donic Bluefire JP02
Tried this tip last week as well, and appears to be a great anchor reference point. Thanks ! :up:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 01:19 
Super User

Glad to see it helped you as well. It serves as a nice reference point. One thing I would say, however, is that many of the top players have a tendency to stand almost completely upright once the receiver begins his motion (as a form of relaxation). You can see it with almost all of the CNT. Of course they are back down low at the point of contact.

I doubt this is all that relevant to amateur players though, unless I'm missing something. Just staying low the entire time would probably work fine.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 04:55 

1800 US rating is about 1300 in France?

- blade= MaLong PG7-506:999$
- FH= TG3NeoBS Nat:95$
- BH= Ten05 Pro Max:80$
- Shoes= BTY EnergyForceV:200$
- Socks= 2xTihbarCool:20$
- Short= BTY Boxer:25$
- Tshirt= ChineseCNT:50$

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 05:04 
Super User

QUAK wrote:

Hey QUAK, honestly I have no idea as I'm not familiar with the rating system in France. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 07:25 

Ringer84 wrote:
QUAK wrote:

Hey QUAK, honestly I have no idea as I'm not familiar with the rating system in France. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

I thought it was a global standard?

Tibhar TEXO All | 1.8 999 Juic Elite x 2
Ross Leidy ALL Blades (x2) | 1.8BH/2.0FH Juic 999 Elite
Butterfly Amicus Pro

Erie TTCErie TTC Facebook
TSTGE5SKLSW

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 07:31 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Nah, different associations use diffferent ratings systems. Ratings Central tries to.create a global system but has limitations as does the ITTF. As long as you understand the data source, the ELO-type system with the best quality input for what you are looking at is the most reliable to assess the player's strength.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next