OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ringer's Blog
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 01:50 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Ringer84 wrote:
To NL and Der,

it's almost 2am as I write this and im up with a 101 fever. It's not looking good for me for columbia this weekend. I think this is the last time I'll ever mention possibly going to a tournament publicaly, as it just never seems to work out for me. Sorry guys.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hahaha - don't let a fever keep you from looping...

On a more serious note, sorry to hear that. Nice to have an excuse not to drive to Columbia unless Der Echte is definitely going to be there. I haven't been feeling well recently myself, but I might still just go play.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 07:50 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Ringer84 wrote:
To NL and Der,

it's almost 2am as I write this and im up with a 101 fever. It's not looking good for me for columbia this weekend. I think this is the last time I'll ever mention possibly going to a tournament publicaly, as it just never seems to work out for me. Sorry guys.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Take some VITAMIN C Powder, one full Tsp now, that is 10,000 mg... and every two hours until it comes out ur tail end. You will feel SO MUCH better.

If you do not have any pure Vita c powder, then go to whole foods and get some now while you got time. If they are out, then get a big bottle of 1000 mg Vita C capsules... then take 5 every hr until it comes out tail end.

Vita C will work right away to disable the virus. It will stop replicating, and your body will start getting in control.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 23:43 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Oh please don't do the Vitamin C intervention...it's one of my pet peeves. I hear it all of the time from my patients and it makes me nuts. It's a myth that overdosing helps. 60 years of research and many clinical trials have shown that it is as effective as placebo, and often less so. As long as you have adequate amounts of vit C bioavailable for cellular membrane integrity (which is less than the RDA btw) your body will take as long as it needs to get over whatever virus is ailing you. Vitamin C in large doses can actually be detrimental to kidney function and/or cause kidney stones.

Rest and hydration are really what you need.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 10:53 
Super User

Since I haven't posted anything in this thread in ages, I thought I'd throw out a few questions as food for thought. Here are two videos of me playing some backhand topspins against incoming topspin. The first video is from sometime in 2015, and the second video is my BH from today. I'm curious to know your opinons on the following:

Is there any difference in technique between the two videos? If so, what are they?

Is there a difference in the ball trajectory of the shots?

Which of the two backhands do you like better?

I have my own opinons on these questions, but sometimes I wonder if I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing. So I'll be interested to hear your feedback.

https://youtu.be/7GgukBSUB9Y

https://youtu.be/98-LSS0YkRo

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 11:09 
Super User

And just as a sidenote, in both of these videos I am showing what I consider to be my best efforts of the sessions. I try to focus on my best shots and forget about the rest of the bad ones.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 15:20 

Of course these are different BH shots, but... I like how you are down, do adjustments to be in position, take the ball on the rise, and use really efficient power transfer with hips and a small rise from squat, and hit very well within strike zone... on your most recent vid.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 15:21 

When are you gunna come to town for a tourney? I just did the MDTTC Apr 2016. Smash in Herndon has a Giant Round Robin on April 23...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 23:12 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

I think it's largely relaxation and refinement. Also, looping to block provides a fluidity that robots and multiballs often lack if you go for max power. But it's clear that in the second that you wouldn't mind rallying with your backhand and that is the beginning of good things.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 08:18 
Super User

I had a frustrating session today with little sleep and energy, but I felt better after seeing this backhand. I think this BH tells me everything I need to know about the progress I've made over the past year. Now if I can just get this kind of spin in a real match...

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 22:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

That's Breaking 2000 spin right there!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 14:02 
Super User

Welp, time to move on.

I'll be taking the rest of 2016 off from table tennis, and probably much longer. My primary practice partner has left for the summer to do an internship and my other practice partners are dramatically cutting back on TT as well. I probably will not be coming back to TT unless one of the following two things happen, possibly both:

1) I suddenly become willing to make the 70 minute trip to MDTTC to play in weekly leagues (unlikely)

2) I find a regular practice partner that can play at least a few times a week year round (unlikely)

I've had a great time learning with you guys and just want to say thanks to each and every one of you. Good luck to all of you in TT for the rest of this year and beyond!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 17:39 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Ringer84 wrote:
Welp, time to move on.

I'll be taking the rest of 2016 off from table tennis, and probably much longer. My primary practice partner has left for the summer to do an internship and my other practice partners are dramatically cutting back on TT as well. I probably will not be coming back to TT unless one of the following two things happen, possibly both:

1) I suddenly become willing to make the 70 minute trip to MDTTC to play in weekly leagues (unlikely)

2) I find a regular practice partner that can play at least a few times a week year round (unlikely)

I've had a great time learning with you guys and just want to say thanks to each and every one of you. Good luck to all of you in TT for the rest of this year and beyond!

It's been fun, Ringer. Hopefully, something from all this will help in some other endeavor.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 20:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Your improvement and dedication has been inspirational. Great job. I hope you come back one day.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 22:00 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Ringer, too bad. The geography thing is a bitch, even if you are lucky to be in a hotbed like the DC area, traffic makes it difficult. Where do you live exactly?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 02:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hobbies come and go...don't be a stranger on the forum. You have a keen eye on how to learn these skills.

Ever considered coaching?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next