OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 06:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Speedwise, JSH blade is not really defensive. But it never hurts to try a rubber and T64 has good resell value.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 23:42 
Super User

So, the Selby league is now finished. We came 2nd in the league. Disappointing as its a league we should win. Unfortunately we had to use reserves from our second division team through injury or illness too often.
I finished 3rd in the averages. A win percentage of 92%. I lost twice to the same guy. This guy came top of the averages. He plays first division york and he is in the top 250 senior men in England. This ranking is only through playing British League, he doesnt enter any other tournaments, so I think he'd be a lot higher. I lost 11-9 in the 5th against him. I was really happy with myself, never been so happy in a loss. He used to be in the England setup in one way or another in a coaching role.

In the Ryedale league I had a great win against a player that had 100% before I played him last week. He hasn't lost a game since September. I won 12-10 in the 5th and its the first time i've ever beaten him. I played some great table tennis. We sit 2nd in the Ryedale league with still another 8 or so matches to go. We have a chance of winning the league :)

York league has been quiet for the past couple of weeks as the handicap competition has taken the forefront and the league takes a back seat. We start again next week :) I sit 6th in the averages in the second division on around 77%. I'm very happy with my performances in a really good standard league.

I am going to try a double inverted set up over the summer, so I'm currently looking into what blade and BH rubber to get. I will stick with the 2.0mm Evolution MX-S on the FH.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 01:28 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Congratulations for the great loss against the first division guy! No video?

Your double inverted plans: do you want to chop/defend with BH or rather blocking/attacking style?

ridderz65 wrote:
So, the Selby league is now finished. We came 2nd in the league. Disappointing as its a league we should win. Unfortunately we had to use reserves from our second division team through injury or illness too often.
I finished 3rd in the averages. A win percentage of 92%. I lost twice to the same guy. This guy came top of the averages. He plays first division york and he is in the top 250 senior men in England. This ranking is only through playing British League, he doesnt enter any other tournaments, so I think he'd be a lot higher. I lost 11-9 in the 5th against him. I was really happy with myself, never been so happy in a loss. He used to be in the England setup in one way or another in a coaching role.

In the Ryedale league I had a great win against a player that had 100% before I played him last week. He hasn't lost a game since September. I won 12-10 in the 5th and its the first time i've ever beaten him. I played some great table tennis. We sit 2nd in the Ryedale league with still another 8 or so matches to go. We have a chance of winning the league :)

York league has been quiet for the past couple of weeks as the handicap competition has taken the forefront and the league takes a back seat. We start again next week :) I sit 6th in the averages in the second division on around 77%. I'm very happy with my performances in a really good standard league.

I am going to try a double inverted set up over the summer, so I'm currently looking into what blade and BH rubber to get. I will stick with the 2.0mm Evolution MX-S on the FH.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 00:47 
Super User

Pipsy wrote:
Congratulations for the great loss against the first division guy! No video?

Your double inverted plans: do you want to chop/defend with BH or rather blocking/attacking style?

ridderz65 wrote:

Thanks Pipsy,

I really hope to get a video before the end of the season.

I want to do a bit of everything. Chop/defend as well as block/attack with the double inverted Bh strategy.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 00:56 
Super User

I've found recently that I tend to be beating people more often and have an easier time when I'm using the 0.9mm Hellfire. I tend to be winning because I'm more consistent and more of my chops go on the table.
However, when I go up against slightly better players, with more powerful attacks and slightly better against pimples, I struggle with the Hellfire. They seem to have more trouble against the P1-R. But I am just not consistent enough with the P1-R and I don't seem to get enough spin with it because against the weaker players I do worse with the P1-R! It's such a pickle!
I guess now I'm wanting a LP that is similar to Hellfire in terms of control, but perhaps with more spin to trouble the better players more?
I've ordered Dornenglanz in 0.8mm from Japsko. Would there be any others that I could try from Spinlord? Or any other manufacturers? I looked at the Der materialspezialist Rebellion too. What do you guys think in terms of control like Hellfire but trickier to play against?
I have been trying out Feint long 3 too, I like it I get good underspin on chops, however I do find over the table shots a little more difficult with a few going into the net.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 01:37 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ridderz65 wrote:
I've found recently that I tend to be beating people more often and have an easier time when I'm using the 0.9mm Hellfire. I tend to be winning because I'm more consistent and more of my chops go on the table.
However, when I go up against slightly better players, with more powerful attacks and slightly better against pimples, I struggle with the Hellfire. They seem to have more trouble against the P1-R. But I am just not consistent enough with the P1-R and I don't seem to get enough spin with it because against the weaker players I do worse with the P1-R! It's such a pickle!
I guess now I'm wanting a LP that is similar to Hellfire in terms of control, but perhaps with more spin to trouble the better players more?
I've ordered Dornenglanz in 0.8mm from Japsko. Would there be any others that I could try from Spinlord? Or any other manufacturers? I looked at the Der materialspezialist Rebellion too. What do you guys think in terms of control like Hellfire but trickier to play against?
I have been trying out Feint long 3 too, I like it I get good underspin on chops, however I do find over the table shots a little more difficult with a few going into the net.

It's a standard dilemma: if I'm losing, who is to blame - equipment or me. I don't want to minimize differences across rubbers and blades - but most likely you can also improve with any rubber by focusing on technique. From what I've 'seen' on the forums, P1-r is considered a great choice for high level choppers, but everyone says that it is hard to master.

Your call in the end, but my guess is that there is a ceiling to what you can do with purely equipment change.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 04:56 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
You will never be able to "out-spin" a good opponent. You need to work on placement, height and perhaps the speed of your chops. And maybe some deception. But the most important is consistence - never miss a chop. You will never find a rubber that will solve all ypur problems or be great at all parameters. If reversal is good something else is worse etc. Find out what balance between the different parameters you like best. And then develop your game around it. When you get better, like after a year or two, you can try something else. But most LP rubbers with 1.0 mm sponge will work.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 05:57 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
ridderz65 wrote:
However, when I go up against slightly better players, with more powerful attacks and slightly better against pimples, I struggle with the Hellfire.

I've had exactly the same kind of experience. On reflection, I made an amazing discovery: I LOSE TO BETTER PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER THAN ME.

There is absolutely a sense in which you can find one combination works better against weaker players, but better players won't be vulnerable in the same way. This is my experience when I play against a good player who knows how to play against pips. They don't struggle against my DG. Similarly, when I played with FL3 or P1-R, weaker players weren't so easy to beat. That's because to beat a weak player with FL3 requires you to actually have good technique - to place the ball optimally, to read their spin, and to remain consistent.

Quote:
They seem to have more trouble against the P1-R...

You need to stop thinking in terms of "causing trouble", especially against better players. You will only ever beat better players by improving your technique and tactics. There's simply a ceiling to the amount of cheap points you can get using material against better players.

Quote:
But I am just not consistent enough with the P1-R and I don't seem to get enough spin with it because against the weaker players I do worse with the P1-R!

I wouldn't frame it that way. You're not consistent with P1-R because it's a harder rubber to use. You're also playing with several different rubbers, so your consistency is going to be up the creek anyway.

Quote:

I refer you to the excellent advice you were given a few weeks back, most notably by Leatherback. There is no such thing. Whatever rubber you choose, it has enough spin, it has enough deception, it has enough reversal, it has enough disturbance, it has enough pimple effect. Stop looking for the miracle rubber that will suddenly turn you into a class above your current class of play. It doesn't exist.

Quote:
I've ordered Dornenglanz in 0.8mm from Japsko. Would there be any others that I could try from Spinlord?

Yes.

Quote:
Or any other manufacturers?

Yes.

Quote:
What do you guys think in terms of control like Hellfire but trickier to play against?

I think that in order to trouble your opponents, you need to become a better player.

Quote:

FL3 is the most spin-sensitive LP I have used. That's a double-edged sword. It means that you can always generate spin, which is useful against stronger players who know how to take advantage of your pips. But it means you need to be much better at reading and compensating for incoming spin.

Overall... and I know you've been told this countless times before... literally, any LP will do. Last time you said you were ordering Dornenglanz with sponge, and that was that. Yet you're still faffing about with other rubbers and going on EJ flights of fancy. Do yourself a favour. Get rid of all the other rubbers - lend them to someone, give them away, or put them in a locked filing cabinet, in a cellar with no lights, and no stairs, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard".

Then stick with your Dornenglanz with sponge. And practice. Get someone to feed you multiball, or loop to you. Get a video camera, and record yourself, and post videos of your shots. There are very experienced defenders and LP players who will give you advice and pointers. Save the money you waste on rubbers, and find a coach. And stop retarding your development by changing equipment and worrying about it.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 07:53 
Super User

I have finally got a proper video set up to record my matches! I can now continue with my blog.

Here is a video from a national tournament at the weekend. Me playing a good veteran. The video is a bit jittery because I used very basic movie software.
Tell me what you think. I'm obviously in the blue and black butterfly shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2zm4s55oKY&t=5s

FOR SOME REASON THE VIDEO WON'T EMBED! GRRRR!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 08:14 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ridderz65 wrote:
I have finally got a proper video set up to record my matches! I can now continue with my blog.

Here is a video from a national tournament at the weekend. Me playing a good veteran. The video is a bit jittery because I used very basic movie software.
Tell me what you think. I'm obviously in the blue and black butterfly shirt.

FOR SOME REASON THE VIDEO WON'T EMBED! GRRRR!

Remove 's' from https and get rid of 't=5s' in URL

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 08:43 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
For someone who doubts so much about his material you play a very good game. ;)

You still play at a low level with not a lot of spin to work with. However, you have potential. Work on spinning the ball instead of hitting it. And seriously; if you haven't already, get yourself a P1-R 1.0mm and learn to play it. You're a young guy. If you put in enough training hours, you'll get the results.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 09:12 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
For someone who doubts so much about his material you play a very good game. ;)

You still play at a low level with not a lot of spin to work with. However, you have potential. Work on spinning the ball instead of hitting it. And seriously; if you haven't already, get yourself a P1-R 1.0mm and learn to play it. You're a young guy. If you put in enough training hours, you'll get the results.

Thank you very much! :)

I'll be honest this match was a low level opponent. Everyone else was better that I played on the day. I just haven't done those videos yet! Lol

I usually loop more but I've had and still got a neck/shoulder injury.

I'm using Spike P2 0.5mm at the moment. I was going to try it in 1.0mm. Do you still feel P1-R would be best?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 13:13 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Very nice Ridderz! I'm sure spike P2 is good enough. Lorre just loves P-1R. I do too, but I doubt it'll make a difference. Stick with it (doctor heal thyself)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 13:34 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Nice match Ridderz. I was a bit confused by this video as I didn't read properly which one you were and spent my whole time watching the guy in red and black as you look far more Scandinavian than he did so assumed you were Wim and he was Adam. You said you had a sore shoulder so didn't loop much. The other guy played many forehands like he had a sore shoulder, where you just smashed them. It got to the end of the video and it said that Adam won 3-0 and I just assumed the score was wrong as I was sure that Scandinavian looking bloke won...Oops. :oops: :?: :lol:

Anyway great game, I've got nothing to add but enjoyed the match. Well done. Note, video was fine, a bit jumpy but didn't matter.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 22:20 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
ridderz65 wrote:
Thank you very much! :)

I'll be honest this match was a low level opponent. Everyone else was better that I played on the day. I just haven't done those videos yet! Lol

I usually loop more but I've had and still got a neck/shoulder injury.

I'm using Spike P2 0.5mm at the moment. I was going to try it in 1.0mm. Do you still feel P1-R would be best?

Looking forward to them. :) P1-R is the reference when it comes to modern defense. You can't go wrong with it. But if you like the Spike, keep it. Only problem is that you can't go to 1.5mm if you'd feel the need for it.

Japsican wrote:
Very nice Ridderz! I'm sure spike P2 is good enough. Lorre just loves P-1R. I do too, but I doubt it'll make a difference. Stick with it (doctor heal thyself)

I confess! :oops: I'm in love with it, everyday a little more. :l: :inlove:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!