OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 22:07 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
EDIT: I just saw the video you posted. You're really agile. OX might work, even in the long run. I change my advise: just go with what feels best, but at least try a 0,5 version of a chopper's LP, P1-R being your best bet because due to the hard sponge it feels like OX.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 04:18 

Pipsy wrote:
Celestial, I think it's the video in your first post that is 'just two shots' :lol: .
:rofl:
Pipsy wrote:
This fragment is longer and much more interesting. You surely have a good ability to keep the ball on the table!

I don't really agree with Lorre. I think the OX-pips are often deceptive for your opponents and you win quite some points with that at the level you're playing. A sponged Curl P1r will be better for chopping against heavy loops (which I didn't see in the two fragments) and when it is necessary to keep chops and pushes low and long all the time.

I think you have a margin to improve your skills with OX. There are some great examples at top level: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=23929

Did you ever think about incorporating loops in your game? That could be a huge improvement. Unless it's your choice to be a more classical defender of course, nothing wrong with that!
Yes I concur that at the level I'm playing opponents make mistakes due to my ox pips and, at the same time, that at higher levels easy pimples points are not allowed just like Lorre wants me to understand. My mindset is to develop a deceptive defense with my ox and with my inverted in equal proportion. By this I mean, without too many ambitions, knowing with accuracy how and when to use inverted/pimples on my fh/bh, being able to do this switch very naturally. I think the most important thing is to find my personal style, the one in which I can express myself at my best.
Well, looping, it would be a great thing. :lol: I'd be happy to have, without demanding the moon, a consinstent and arcing slow loop. Right now I lack the skill. Idea: sometime (if I remember to) I will record myself while I am in a looping mood at the training. So getting insights.

Roy wrote:
I especially liked the way you bend your knees and chop from the floor level (0:50) and also the way you can return hard attacks. :)
Thank you. :mm: It comes to mind when a clubmate once asked me "Not the rubber. Are your legs legal?" :lol:

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I use Ox because I mainly play up to the table and pushblock with the pips, which is where Ox excels. At the level you are at right now CB, the Ox pips will work fine, but as you climb in levels it won't be as effective if you stay classically chopping. If you think your style may change as your game develops, then stick with Ox. But it would be prudent to try sponged LP (probably in Talon for now) if you have a 2nd blade). It only needs to be 0.6 sponge, just to see the difference you can create with the same pip you have in Ox.
Well, I think an interesting question from here is: is possible for a classic chopper to be also a pushblocker? Originally I took the dragon talon to try a pushblocking style for fun, seeing some videos on youtube. I did it and in awhile I realized that I liked it for chopping. I started to think, what if I try to mix defense from the table (chopping) and defense at the table (pushblocking)?
What do you think, too much imagination? :?:

Lorre wrote:
EDIT: I just saw the video you posted. You're really agile. OX might work, even in the long run. I change my advise: just go with what feels best, but at least try a 0,5 version of a chopper's LP, P1-R being your best bet because due to the hard sponge it feels like OX.
We will see. I will try it surely in the future. Reading some reviews I suppose it will be too slow on my nittaku endless. But my defplay senso may be waiting for it :mm:

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 14:50 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
CelestialBoy wrote:
Well, I think an interesting question from here is: is possible for a classic chopper to be also a pushblocker? Originally I took the dragon talon to try a pushblocking style for fun, seeing some videos on youtube. I did it and in awhile I realized that I liked it for chopping. I started to think, what if I try to mix defense from the table (chopping) and defense at the table (pushblocking)?
What do you think, too much imagination? :?:

Not at all, but pushblocking is skill in it's own and at the moment you seem to be a clear chopper.

I mostly pushblock, but I chop too a lot. I also mix strategies depending on opponent, but active table game is more important.

It is just when you start exp. returning serves of the bounce, you are stuck at the table and you must be able block from both sides. It is bit of a task to learn effective blocking, if chopping is your main game.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 05:37 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Looking at your chopping style,

I believe mixing short block and long chop possible. ;)

Your Dragon Talon is one of the most versatile pips, no need for changing that IMHO. :)

I rather suggest you to try several sponge behind it, if you want to. Kokutaku Tulpe or Kokutaku BLutenkirsche Japan for example.

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 16:32 

Blade: JSH
FH: Barracuda 2.0
BH: Curl P2 0.5
Hi,

I'm really surprised on the level you reached in one year. Did you play other ball/racket sports before or is it just talent ;-)
Related to your concern on your FH chopping strokes, I actually think it is not that bad as you play most strokes with a lot of wrist and a good touch.
This is something that is lacking a bit on your BH strokes: in general your technique is good here but add the wrist movement at the right moment will make the difference between a good chop and a killer one. Once you will test with sponged pips this wrist movement is crucial to load the spin as it does not benefit much of spin continuation.
This counts for your BH strokes at the table as well, you show a lot of control but a little more wrist action will make a big difference in spin you return. Of course mixing them is even better :-)

ciao

G

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 01:35 

Well, it's time to write another page of my diary.
We went to Siracusa (Syracuse) to compete in our second day of the division championship.
My health conditions were not good. One of my teammate from the first moment told me I was pale in the face. I had a bad cough that became more insistent as the time goes.
I had in my bag a medicine and candies for the throat (I have taken several).
We arrived at the place: a school gym.
The opponent team has one of the strongest player of my division, if not the strongest, a foreign woman with great flat attacking and blocking skills. She has 0 defeats until now.
My team lost the 1st match, and win the second.
It's my turn... against her.
To give an idea: my rank is one of the lowest in the division, I have 2735 points. She has 6398 points.
We examine our rackets each other. She did an annoyng face seeing my pips.
I lost the first set 11-6.
I win the second 11-7, I win the third 11-7!
Lost the fourth 11-8 and... lost the fifth 16-14.
Lost 3-2.
It's been a very intense match. We were extulting at each other every single point LOL.
At the end I shook her hand and saw her face... she was literally in tears.
She made many errors during the match, due to my pips and spin variations.
Her flat hitting game with tenergy had gone into crisis.
In the 4th and 5th sets she played mainly pushing and slow game against me.
I did my best and if I was in a better shape, maybe I would won.
After this match I was not feeling well at all. I had a strong cough and headache.
I played another match with a 4752 attacker and I lost again 3-2 (12-10 at the 5th set).
I could not wait to go home because I felt sick.
All in all, I can be satisfied, I have ben a hard bone to beat, and this was enough for today.
Ok. I decided to completely heal before returning to play.

Roy wrote:
I mostly pushblock, but I chop too a lot. I also mix strategies depending on opponent, but active table game is more important.

Yes I agree. I tend to be very passive also near the table, because I'm still unsure playing more active.
There's a lot to work, and I intend to work on!

BeGo wrote:
Your Dragon Talon is one of the most versatile pips, no need for changing that IMHO. :)

I rather suggest you to try several sponge behind it, if you want to. Kokutaku Tulpe or Kokutaku BLutenkirsche Japan for example.

Yes I wil not change it for now. Talon is nastier for my opponents than my previous pips (spinlord agenda) and I find still controllable at any distance from the table. I'm too focus on ox now to carefully value it with sponge, I will do it further.
I'd like try also other lp like snowflake ox, p1-r, bomb talent... inverted rubbers like donic slice 40, donic baracuda 1.8... and blades like donic defplay classic, tsp balsa 2.5, nittaku resist...

If you guys seeing the way I play have other thoughts about blades/rubbers that may benefit me... please write :up:
Gybe! wrote:
Hi,

I'm really surprised on the level you reached in one year. Did you play other ball/racket sports before or is it just talent ;-)
Related to your concern on your FH chopping strokes, I actually think it is not that bad as you play most strokes with a lot of wrist and a good touch.
This is something that is lacking a bit on your BH strokes: in general your technique is good here but add the wrist movement at the right moment will make the difference between a good chop and a killer one. Once you will test with sponged pips this wrist movement is crucial to load the spin as it does not benefit much of spin continuation.
This counts for your BH strokes at the table as well, you show a lot of control but a little more wrist action will make a big difference in spin you return. Of course mixing them is even better :-)

ciao

G

Ciao! Thank you :) I don't think I have a particular talent. I played tennis for 2-3 years, and ping pong occasionally - with pingpong net on random tables or desk- with friends or family. The interest for the sport was born in the summer of 2014 thanks to the japanese cartoon "ping pong the animation" :rofl: and from there growth after I joined amateur tournaments that summer.
Yes adding wrist action on my bh strokes is a serious thing I have to pratice expecially when I'm with inverted on my bh. Often my pushes with inverted are not spinny enough to worry my opponents...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 04:05 

A Week without TT

This week I have not trained and I have not played table tennis.
I decided to take care to heal completely. I'm almost healed, today I feel good.
Meanwhile, instead to play, I have thought about, and finally ordered, a new blade and a new forehand rubber.
I decided to get a Donic Defplay Classic Senso and a Donic Slice 40 1.5 mm, and an other Talon.
The basic idea has not changed: I'm going to assemby an other Def blade + def inverted 1.5 + ox pips.
I have my best result with this combination and I want explore some other feeling with it, before to approach other combinations.
My Nittaku Endless is, for now, the best blade I have. I have also the regular Donic Defplay Senso and I like it, but it feels a little too "heavy" and uncomfortable in my hand. Maybe because it has flared handle and I prefer straight and, the main reason, because I prefer lighter blades. The ones in 70 gr range.
Well, the Defplay Classic should be a light blade like my Endless and I think I might like it.
With it, the feeling I am looking for is a softer feeling than my Endless, which has a medium-hard feeling.
I am also curious to see how the slice 40 will be in comparison to my Spinlord Marder in creating backspin and controlling the game.
And also the Talon, how it will feel on the Defplay Classic?
We will see... :o:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 07:17 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXXEmTA6lA

First impression: the defplay is veery promising, it seems to have the right buonce/speed to me. Its handle is a lot similar to the Nittaku Endless one, thin and round, and it is easy to twiddle. I got also a nice Talon and Slice 40. The sponge of Slice 40 seems a little harder than the Marder one. Maybe it will be a little faster? I hope it will be, just a little bit.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 21:42 

Yesterday I had my first session with the new configuration:
Donic Defplay Classic Senso
Donic Slice 40 1.5 mm
Giant Dragon Talon ox
It goes Amazing. The Defplay Classic has a great feel when chopping and it is very speed wise. I read somewhere that it is faster than the regular Defplay. Well, I have both blades and I'm 100% sure the Classic is slower! First: It has a greater dwell time than the regular Senso. Second: It has less kick when chopping and pushing than the regular senso and more absorbing feel. Third: It has more control! I was amazed by the confidence which this blade gave to me from the first shot. Regard the Slice 40, how I have supposed, it is less mushy than the marder and a Little faster. This implies I do less effort in defense, but it is slow enough to provides the best control. The spin is very good and my pratice parteners noticed that I had such a spinny rubber on My inverted side. Regard the Talon ox, well I'm fixed with it. It is very fun to play with and I don't intend to change For now. Instead, I want to master it! I Know it is known as a lp to play at the table, but guys, I find it Great For chopping also. Especially When I twiddle and push with it on My fh, it is very deceptive with non-linear trajectories, and when opponents start to push at me, I can decide to mirror their underspin in topspin with ease, forcing them to attack or pop up for my attack or strong chop. Very fun. On the Classic defplay as on My Nittaku Endless, those pimples offer me more fun and possibilities than the others (I use to remove its gluesheet and gluing with glue). I Will be happy to make a video soon and receive toughts from you! See ya.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 22:42 

A new Decision

Last saturday I played my 3rd division match. I played two matches and won both.
The first I won very esily versus a guy who felt himself really uncomfort against my pips.
The second has been more satisfyng. I won 3-2 versus a pushblocker with (I'm pretty sure of this) treated pips. I have learned from the experience: the last time I facing this type of player (in that tournament...) I've lost, but this time those frictionless lp haven't give me that troubles.
The guy was pretty immune to my spin variation, he simply pushed the ball on the table with his pips, short, long, left, right... he was very good at varying the placement. The match has been looong, very loong, and mainly a lp fight. His doublefish 1615 versus my talon. I lobbed easy balls just to make him attack: high balls on his bh side, trying to force his errors. In the last set... I decided to change the game. Trying to be Me to attack those no-spin balls, and I did it well, winning the match.
Well... there is a thing that I did not say. I played with spinlord degu 2.0 mm on the fh!
I re-discovered short pips on my forehand and hitting is becoming a wepon for my game.
When I hit with degu, my opponent has a very hard time to cope, If I shot on his body is even better.
In chopping and pushing, I think the degu has a very pleasant behavior: at the table I can make very spinny pushes, far from the table a deceptive chop (but deceptive in a different manner from lp ox :bandit: ).
What a unusual chopper I am... but, ehy, I follow what makes me happy to play table tennis.
I want to try 802-40 2.2 mm on my defplay classic. ... In truth, I would to try also: butterfly raystorm, tuttle summer 3c, haifu dolphin, galaxy unarus poly... :geek:

P.S. I joined in a local tournament last week and I did well...

See ya.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 23:47 

Call me "The Terrible Defender"

Terrible, terrible... :lol: is the word that one of my opponent, yesterday, has pronounced facing me, while I was winning 2-0 and 10-3 in the 3rd and last set.
My team won again in our league division, I won the both matches I played.
The first was the most tricky. Haha... guess what? Another ox lp at the table player. A little less patient than the two I faced before, but with better forehand attack. I won him 3-2 chopping with patience and with some surprise attack with my short pips.
My second opponent, the "terrible" teller one, was who I thought the strongest one of the opponent's team.
He has a very strong attack... something like BAM! But, unexpectedly, he completely crushed against my chops and spin variations when he tried to make me to come back at the table. He really didn't understand how to play against me.
But ok, it's also true that i played at my best.
Also... I've had the occasion to make two shots with such a Pro player who was there to see the matches.
He play on a higher division and, seeing how I played, after my firts match asked me to play a bit with him later. I obviously accepted with pleasure.
He started to loop... WOW... I really had fun playing with him because he looped back everything I sent to him. And I could really play far from the table chopping without stop.
That's all for now... never give up :Defense: !

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 08:09 

Always lucid

Last sunday we played another league match. We lost 5-2.
I played two match: one lost 3-2, the other won 3-0.
Well, the first match was against a gentlemen senior who, in the youth, played in relatively high levels. He has a full arm fh looping, being able to send the ball right in the corner, and a vicious tomhawk serve that in the 1st set I wasn't able to read. A very strong opponent for me. In the last set we were 10-6 for him. I made a great come back and we arrived to 10-9. Then I made a super mistake... he served a no spin ball on my bh, and I haven't been lucid and ready enough to flip the racket. I pushed with my long pips popping up the ball a little and he punished me with a killing drive. Arrgh. :x
The second match was against another attacker but I won by large margin.

I had 2700 points two months ago... well... now I have 3700 points! I earned 1000 ranking points in a while and I'm happy for this. :rock:

In these weeks I tried 802-40 (the 35° super soft sponge version in 2.2 mm). I didn't like it, too hard. Not only the pips, but also the sponge is not soft at all for me. Degu is a lot softer and fun to play with.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 23:17 

My best TT moment

Yesterday we got a tournament in our tt centre. About 40-50 partecipants.
Well, I played TT from the 9.00 o'clock to the 19.30 :rofl: but I want to talk about only 1 moment.
I reached the quarter finals and the match was against the gentlemen senior who beat me in the last division match. He was the (or at least one of the) favourite winner of the tournament.
And yesterday... I WON! :rock:
What a match, my best match ever...
I was surrounded by people who watched the match and said "go Marco!", I heared some comments like "iiincredible!" after my chops far, far, from the table. But the best moment has been the final applause and hugs after i won 3-1.
I lost the semifinal 3-2 against one other strong attacker but I was tired and lacking of lucidity. I had given myself in the previus match spending almost all my energies. But OK, I've nothing to complain.

I'm starting to feel the needs of a transition... from short pips to inverted on my forehand, and from ox long pips to sponged on my backhand. I played well with my short pips and my hitting skills are improving day after day. But I think I can hit as well with inverted, plus the possibility of a heavier topspin and underspin.
I'm thinking about 729 fx blue sponge 2.0 mm on fh (that I tried and I like it and the feeling was there) and dawei 388d-1 05 mm on bh. These on a fast defensive blade like the bty joo: the palio chopper #1 blade. It's a cheap setup but sounds perfect to me.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 04:41 

Giant dragon Talon: Red vs Black

Well, I can do a comparative between red talon and black talon (OX), writing my impressions.
I have the red on my nittaku endless - a defensive blade with medium stiffness and hardness.
And I have the black on my donic defplay classic - which is softer and a little slower than my endless.
In terms of reversal or spin continuation, I do not find a difference, if there is one I do not notice it with my rubbers, both (red and black talon) reverse the spin very well.
I find the red talon to be more deceptive at the table, push-blocking opponent's spin it creates wobble effects, strange trajectories and rebounds (but this doesn't fool better opponents), while I find the black talon to be more deceptive away from the table, chopping, because I feel I can impart my own spin better with the black than with the red version.
I'm playing more with the black!
I tried neptune ox in a while but... it's half the fun. I came back to the dragon.

Quote:
I'm starting to feel the needs of a transition... from short pips to inverted on my forehand, and from ox long pips to sponged on my backhand. I played well with my short pips and my hitting skills are improving day after day. But I think I can hit as well with inverted, plus the possibility of a heavier topspin and underspin.
I'm thinking about 729 fx blue sponge 2.0 mm on fh (that I tried and I like it and the feeling was there) and dawei 388d-1 05 mm on bh. These on a fast defensive blade like the bty joo: the palio chopper #1 blade. It's a cheap setup but sounds perfect to me.

Err... I really write this? I've abandoned the idea after I've tried a double inverted setup with one of my unused blade and rubbers (999, submarine). Then... nah, I can't move away from degu and talon (and, however, why I should move away from them? I have results and fun) ...from now.

[Edit] I forgot... what the difference between red degu and black degu (both 2.0 mm)?
Well the sponge of my red degu is a touch firmer than my black one, which is softer, but both performs extremely well. The black really absorb the pace chopping with my forehand, it really has a cushioning effect and sometimes I perceive it slow (!) hunting harder shots. The red degu is more direct, but the control is there. Btw the difference is almost irrelevant.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 05:20 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
CelestialBoy wrote:
Giant dragon Talon: Red vs Black

Well, I can do a comparative between red talon and black talon (OX), writing my impressions.
I have the red on my nittaku endless - a defensive blade with medium stiffness and hardness.
And I have the black on my donic defplay classic - which is softer and a little slower than my endless.
In terms of reversal or spin continuation, I do not find a difference, if there is one I do not notice it with my rubbers, both (red and black talon) reverse the spin very well.
I find the red talon to be more deceptive at the table, push-blocking opponent's spin it creates wobble effects, strange trajectories and rebounds (but this doesn't fool better opponents), while I find the black talon to be more deceptive away from the table, chopping, because I feel I can impart my own spin better with the black than with the red version.
I'm playing more with the black!

I don't really think you are comparing Red vs. Black rubber variants here... For the reason I highlighted above - two different blades. It's a fun little experiment, but there is a good reason people change one thing at a time when they run A/B tests.

I just hope no one quotes this post in the future to 'prove' that red talon is more deceptive in the short game :lol: :headbang: