OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 18:16 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Aerial, pm PP holic from my tt. We will both be somewhere in Brooklyn doing league at 12 Sunday.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 10:28 

whoops, late to see your response Der_Echte..... maybe next time?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 08:22 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
At end of Sep 2016.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 23:24 

pm sent to pingpongholic10.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 06:32 

welp, after a long hiatus, it seems in finally back to playing in the nyc area!

https://youtu.be/r5RtbKgOWFo
looping with yang
concentrated on my swing at first to make sure I'm looping, allowing the ball to drop a bit, around 7:14, yang noticed I took the ball low and commented I should take the ball at the highest point and with more forward motion with lower stance. I obliged thereafter
https://youtu.be/lNPi_78FHFU
fh looping vs brad block, keeping in mind what yang said
one min in brad suggests three point fh drill
3:20 in suggests I can use my backhand on the backhand corner
6:25 counter looping
11:55 backhand
17:32 service drill, short service, push short, open play
21:55 fh flip service
https://youtu.be/AU5EXKo_3L0
aerial serve, Brad touch short, open play
1:00 brad suggests to look at where on the table you want the serve to land, then when you're ready you serve take one more second for an extra breath and you'll never miss
2:50 talking about grip pressure upon execution of flip
7:00 brad pushes long for aerial's fh loop
9:30 brad chopping
13:00 brad chop block
brad match
https://youtu.be/a-79x8Kjh_w
match starts at 2:00

so when I was looping with yang, I tried to emphasize the brush but he pointed out I was waiting too long to contact the ball and that the ball has no "ferocity" when looping like that. I can see his point but I was also trying to emphasize my stroke more as sometimes I don't swing on my fh.

as far as training with brad, he gave a lot of good suggestions. I will say that my match game still feels a lot worse than my practicing game. alas

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 08:07 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
aerial,

Long time no see. You seem to have made some changes to your forehand technique (elbow closer to your body, finishing across the center line below head height, bent elbow on looping). MAybe they were there before and I just didn't notice (you are still raising the elbow on the forehand loop). I am not a fan of them but if they work for you, so be it. The stroke you use on the counterloop most of the time is much better and is the stroke you should learn to use close to the table.

Taking the ball early is neither here nor there. Some people make a big deal out of it but to me, it is probably most important when counterlooping off the bounce. It is far more important to hit the ball when your power is highest, which is usually while your body is rotating and your racket is whipping into the ball during your forearm snap. If this happens after the peak of the bounce, so be it, the alternative is to take the ball with less racket head speed in front of your body and produce a weaker ball, which is okay if the incoming ball has power, but is not if you intend to generate power. So with all due respect, the lack of ferocity has absolutely nothing to do with how long you are waiting and much more to do with how fast you are swinging unless you are trying to mostly borrow the power of the incoming ball.

When doing those drills, like counterlooping etc., don't let the inconsistency of your opponent or training partner take you out of your drill discipline. Use the same stroke EVERY single time. Even if you miss the ball 10 feet off the table. The reason is this: if you see the incoming ball and swing, use the same technique, and see how badly the outgoing ball misses, you have a much better idea of the swing changes you need to make to use the same technique to put the ball on the table. When you change technique, you don't get that information. A huge part of table tennis is being able to adapt to or even sometimes overpower the opponent's incoming spin or lack of it. If you change technique without a good reason, you will not master your strokes. That's why I generally try to get people to use one clean swing for looping as much as possible and then teach them how to enlarge it or shrink it depending on the speed of the incoming ball. Then the rest is about their contact point and swing plane based on how they read the incoming ball and what kind of outgoing ball they intend to produce.

Here is my favorite forehand loop:

Brad has amazing touch but imperfect technique on his blocks. IT is interesting to see him looping now, maybe his combination of that and his amazing touch is responsible for his large leap in rating?

Good to see you back - good luck with your game.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 00:33 

ah, I can always count on you NL to chime in with your infinite wisdom... :P

truth be told, when i counterloop, it feels like the best stroke, but when I am closer to the table I feel rushed and end up compacting it subconsciously i think. in my mind's eye i try to loop how i counterloop but... alas...

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 01:39 

side note, i feel like FZD's backswing versus a blocked ball is pretty low... bordering looping a backspin balls' backswing depth, thoughts?

double side note... for some reason I've had to change my password twice for this forum... has anyone else had any issues? dunno what the deal is with my account getting compromised :^)

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 01:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

aerial wrote:
ah, I can always count on you NL to chime in with your infinite wisdom... :P

truth be told, when i counterloop, it feels like the best stroke, but when I am closer to the table I feel rushed and end up compacting it subconsciously i think. in my mind's eye i try to loop how i counterloop but... alas...

It took me a month of practice to more consistently take the ball away from my body. I used to do it away from the table but felt it was unnatural close to table. But a high level coach told me to fix it and I fixed it. The rewards were pretty great as I could loop with more leverage. Once you get the arm to straighten out, just close the racket or come round the side of the ball more while swinging straight to the forehead until the ball stays on the table. Then you will have s loop like Xu Xin.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 01:58 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

aerial wrote:
side note, i feel like FZD's backswing versus a blocked ball is pretty low... bordering looping a backspin balls' backswing depth, thoughts?

double side note... for some reason I've had to change my password twice for this forum... has anyone else had any issues? dunno what the deal is with my account getting compromised :^)

His stance is extremely low and his body leans forward so his swing plane is actually far more horizontal than yours or mine. He comes up a little before swinging forward and his low stance enables him to keep the ball low. If he was looping a backspin ball, he would go round the ball and come up a bit more.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 18:58 

another big bump from me after another long hiatus...!

my work schedule has recently changed from afternoons into evenings (second shift) to evenings into mornings (third shift, aka graveyard/night shift, aka ...ouch...), but on the bright side this shift allows for some time to get back to the club and what better way to start off with a coaching session

I asked Robert to focus on backspin with me as I still think my loop is weak against it. he was insisting backspin is easy and that topspin is the harder of the two but in the end obliged to doing backspin focused training, although it seems like the second topspin ball after the first backspin is the actual difficult one...

https://youtu.be/e6WOxLLMRoY

in other news my serves are apparently all no spin lol, the road to 2000 sure is long and treacherous. the hiatus speed bumps sure don't help either

from this lesson, I've come to the conclusion I suck at moving into the table, I'm still "finding"my stroke and my serves suck lol

edit, seems like I forgot how to embed the video, either that or the url I obtain on mobile doesn't do the trick :?:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 01:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
aerial wrote:

my work schedule has recently changed from afternoons into evenings (second shift) to evenings into mornings (third shift, aka graveyard/night shift, aka ...ouch...), but on the bright side this shift allows for some time to get back to the club and what better way to start off with a coaching session

I asked Robert to focus on backspin with me as I still think my loop is weak against it. he was insisting backspin is easy and that topspin is the harder of the two but in the end obliged to doing backspin focused training, although it seems like the second topspin ball after the first backspin is the actual difficult one...

https://youtu.be/e6WOxLLMRoY

in other news my serves are apparently all no spin lol, the road to 2000 sure is long and treacherous. the hiatus speed bumps sure don't help either

from this lesson, I've come to the conclusion I suck at moving into the table, I'm still "finding"my stroke and my serves suck lol

edit, seems like I forgot how to embed the video, either that or the url I obtain on mobile doesn't do the trick :?:

Would you recommend Robert as a coach? I will be visiting NYC in early April and considering visiting a club or two and may be taking a lesson.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 05:08 

pgpg wrote:
aerial wrote:
Would you recommend Robert as a coach? I will be visiting NYC in early April and considering visiting a club or two and may be taking a lesson.

yeah, he's a good guy and a good coach. I've had a lot of coaching sessions from various coaches in the U.S., and the advice that they give is all pretty similar. Guess it's just too bad my thick-head can't absorb the information good enough haha...

Tell him aerial recommended you if you do get a lesson

Also, don't tell him I posted the video of our session haha... he told me not to post it online, possibly camera shy? Well at least it's an unlisted video, not a public video for the whole world to see. Only for OOAK forum goers ;)

my only qualm with him is his voice is kind of soft, so I ask him to repeat a lot of things or ask for clarification of things he is saying/suggesting to me.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 22:52 

aerial wrote:

alas, I should have listened to winifred. after playing the other day my shoulder is killing me. guess i never fixed this problem in my stroke and now i am injured

well to say i'm injured is a stretch, i have some mild discomfort in my neck area and shoulder area on my right side but.. alas.. forever one step forward and two steps back

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 00:15 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Can you explain what in your technique Winifred was referring to?

My untrained eye didn't see anything that should result in an injury, but your back is to the camera. Also, I'm at work, so I am relegated to my terrible iphone to watch it.

As for the injury...is it reoccurring? Sometimes you get overuse injuries, and may have rotator issues (all TT guys do). What happens to TT guys is we over develop muscles involved in the strokes we do (1000s of times a day) and we get uneven muscle development in the shoulder complex. This pulls the joint out of alignment. Even people with perfect form suffer from this at some point.

I think its worth having someone look at it to avoid worse things in the future. Physical or Occupational therapy can help you build the adjacent muscles to help mitigate problems and create balance in the shoulder musculature.

Of course, work on the technique issue, but like I said, even with perfect technique there will be issues. At my hospital, tennis players are probably our OTs "best customers" in our sports med area. Tennis players and pitchers.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next