OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 07:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Technique can always be refined and improved. If you play like this consistently for a couple of months, your game will change and 2000 will be in reach just by improving your ability to read the game and making a few technical changes. This is because playing this way just means you have to improve your technique and your ability to read the ball. Playing the way you played before often put too much pressure on your own technique to do things it could not do. Good job.

I reached 2000 with a forehand that kinda dumped like this so don't lose too much sleep. You played enough quality forehands that you know you can do it and it will get better with practice and movement.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 09:31 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Good job!
Now you are playing like I tried to tell you. Be ready to attack the next ball every time. Now you are staying ready to attack, not falling back on your heels after a loop. Block or push when you have to but keep the pressure on.

I would work on your backhand now. Get rid of the vertical wrist flip. Go into the ball more. You ripped some high ones but the lower balls can be looped or driven also with the right stroke.

You are getting under the ball more on your serves now but a lot still are too high over the net.

:clap: :rock:

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 12:48 

welp, i am mostly settled back in brooklyn now.

went to a club close to my place--relatively new. just opened 6 months ago apparently, decent crowd want to say average level was 1400 to 1700

there was this guy that is 2050 and he had someone coming to coach/train him and he noticed i was a serious-type of player (with my camera and whatnot) and we practiced a bit and then we played, but when his coach came we limited it to just 1 game... i managed to beat him. i definitely got very lucky and he might have played a little lower than his level because of his time pressure since he is paying someone to coach him and our match was cutting into it. he did have some trouble with my serves though and i was able to punish with the 3rd ball... he also wants to train together with me, which is awesome.

i think he thinks i'm higher level than i actually am haha... hopefully he doesn't ditch me when he realizes the emperor has no clothes :P not to mention my work schedule isn't quite set yet... guess we'll see how the dice fall.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 01:02 

I've gone from a ping pong poverty zone to an affluent table tennis neighborhood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8emf4AIC ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc3unDpO ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDf3CrS4 ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ybnCSPK ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0AXvWXG ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n61Ex5SD ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2x3dsd4 ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx8gdXCj ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4ljzKC ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUV6jTq0 ... e=youtu.be

feels good to be the little fish again... haven't lost all my matches this badly in quite a while.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 14:56 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Looks like you played the Lily Yip league in a group way over your head. Why did they put you in that group?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 21:31 

they didn't have enough people the day I went so I got bumped up to group 1 ... they only had enough people for 2 groups.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 21:56 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
You were not "blasted off the table - you just lacked consistency. Too many easy mistakes. There were also good attacks from both sides.

Something to think about...

1. Serve receiving was not that good.
2. I would have liked to see more tight underspin serves from you, opponents didn't net that meny returns
3. BH had flick needs some work. Some of them are very nice, but many are erratic and weird looking.
4. FH block did't work, you netted lot of balls. Maybe you need a safe slow block instead of trying to punch the ball.
5. Some FH loops were fast and beautiful, but in in many loops your tecnique breaks down and the shot don't come smoothly. Maybe some overtrying?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 23:21 

yeah, I mean, I didn't feel completely outplayed. I had chances to win at least 1 game in all my matches (except for maybe one, Peter's serve really gave me problems... heavy spin into the net a lot)

I think on a normal day, I would have played in group 3 though, and most of the guys that played in group 1 on this day would be in group 2.

the ceiling seems high around these neck of the woods. hopefully I can raise my game faster.

unfortunately my work schedule is going to cut into TT this month... working the night shift... bummer.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 20:40 

aerial wrote:

Hi aerial

I was watching your service vids and I have attached my service vids if you want to look at contact point etc (my serves are not the best by far but I can get good spin and placement)

https://vimeo.com/177215727

https://vimeo.com/177215802

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 02:19 

nice serves! mine definitely need work. I have gotten away with having lackluster serves with some spin on them, but now that I've moved to new york city, I need to tighten them up.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 02:37 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
As hard as you are trying on your serves, they look like no spin. Some of the ones that double bounced would have stayed on the table if there was much spin. 90% of the serves are bouncing 3 to 6 inches higher than the net. I would reduce your arm backswing until you have better control. It is hard to tell from the vid but I suspect your contact point is not close enough to the bottom of the ball or you would have more spin.
You ALWAYS take 3 steps after a serve to get to ready position. (in the games) Change that to ONE step.
:)

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 12:36 

wow, thanks for pointing the steps out... I never realized that.
that may also explain why I feel more "ready"after a backhand serve because it seems like I get ready on one step but for forehand serve I use three...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 21:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Guys,

Aerial was playing guys around my level. We don't need to blast you off the table to beat you. You may not see how strong those guys are playing aerial but it would be more obvious if I played them. Santhosh for example beat me in 5 last month. Steve and Geoffrey are nightmares for different reasons.

That said, you have clearly gotten a little stronger. I think you are still headed in the right direction. Your serve technique needs more whip. Your wrist needs to be loose so it snaps back and forth like the end of a whip. In general, the biggest change that I have made mentally to my TT game in recent months is to consciously practice all my strokes with more whip. I think this can help you as well. If you are not sure what I mean, look for Brett's Advanced Serving Mechanics video as well as his video on the pendulum serve.

How far do you live from Lily Yip?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2016, 00:42 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Yep, the whole time while watching the opponents in his videos...I keep thinking to myself, "wow, that guy could definitely beat me."

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 01:51 

i live 35 miles away from lyttc, the closest club to where i am living right now is relatively new--dynamo ttc in the brighton beach brooklyn area--parking is a pain, club is nice though. wish my work schedule was more accommodating but i'm working from 1500to2300...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next