OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 12:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
For the grip, do ball bouncing exercises and consider taping your finger to the correct spot for a while. It sounds silly but when you coach and do all kinds of things to enforce behavior changes, nothing sounds silly anymore.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 15:48 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
NextLevel wrote:
For the grip, do ball bouncing exercises and consider taping your finger to the correct spot for a while. It sounds silly but when you coach and do all kinds of things to enforce behavior changes, nothing sounds silly anymore.

Good idea. Not that keen to put tape on my good rubbers, might even get the old bat out and put a dob of Blu-tac on there.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 21:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

My plan for me, my practice partner and even MP and son (refer coaching blog) is to strip it back to basics and get the counter hit / weak loop solid. List of things to work on for myself :-
1) Grip
2) Lower, wider stance
3) Rotation of body rather than dropping shoulder
4) Right foot to stay planted
5) Finish out in front above eye level

Looking forward to next session now and getting into it !!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 23:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Cobalt wrote:
My plan for me, my practice partner and even MP and son (refer coaching blog) is to strip it back to basics and get the counter hit / weak loop solid. List of things to work on for myself :-
1) Grip
2) Lower, wider stance
3) Rotation of body rather than dropping shoulder
4) Right foot to stay planted
5) Finish out in front above eye level

Looking forward to next session now and getting into it !!

The grip change may actually help a lot with breaking some of your habits because you will be able to tie them to the new grip and not the old one.

Merry Christmas!

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 00:23 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
the hardest thing I learnt was putting my right foot in the correct place. it's all about seeing where the ball is moving, then putting your right foot in the correct place - and planting it - so that you can draw on the power of your legs. if your right foot is too far away from the ball, you'll reach - no power. if it's too close, it'll incur a chicken wing effect - no power.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 07:06 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

dunc wrote:
the hardest thing I learnt was putting my right foot in the correct place. it's all about seeing where the ball is moving, then putting your right foot in the correct place - and planting it - so that you can draw on the power of your legs. if your right foot is too far away from the ball, you'll reach - no power. if it's too close, it'll incur a chicken wing effect - no power.

This foot placement thing is a nightmare for me right now. In the past, I used my long arms to reach for the ball successfully so rebuilding my whole game on a mobile platform is messing up my ability to read distance to the ball properly.

FH Drive again:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 21:31 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Did some counter hitting tonight. I think its an improvement. Grip is better but still dropping shoulder and finish is inconsistent.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 03:42 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

As you point out there's definitely more work to be done but honestly Cobalt that looks much better already. It looks much more professional. Grip still needs some work in my opinion - I feel like you're too high up the bat (second finger is almost on the rubber too unless I'm mistaken?).

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 04:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

dunc wrote:
As you point out there's definitely more work to be done but honestly Cobalt that looks much better already. It looks much more professional. Grip still needs some work in my opinion - I feel like you're too high up the bat (second finger is almost on the rubber too unless I'm mistaken?).

I can't add much to this - finger is still too high on the paddle and doesn't need to be - BRS is going through a similar switch and you can check the grip he uses. Maybe balance should be more central and stance slightly wider (you seem to put too much weight on your left foot, which is a common error given human anatomy), but in general, you can contrast this video with your earlier one yourself and see the progress. If you make your stance wider and put more weight on your right foot, you will be more centrally aligned. Your left foot is likely stronger than your right foot, so to be truly balanced, you need to feel more weight on your right foot than you currently do.

Changing grips entirely is not the mark of death that some people think it is. The grip just needs to be used in a variety of casual circumstances to prevent the brain from rejecting it. Then it needs to be used competitively and then the advantages of the grip need to be reinforced. The biggest advantage of having a lower finger is the ability to switch between forehand and backhand without changing and because you are not doing that now, it may be hard to change the grip and keep the finger down. I finally got my finger down after I realized how seamless the change between forehand and backhand countering and looping for my technique it was. But others prefer to switch grips between forehand and backhand and that can be a valid approach as well.

There are also advantages with having a lower finger when it comes to creating wrist angles and racket angles for returning certain kinds of serves. It's very hard to bend your wrist backwards when your finger is high up the blade as it tends to make your blade more in line with the lower arm. This makes it harder to adjust for sidespin serves that spin away from your forehand.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 21:53 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

dunc wrote:

Yes sometimes the second finger nearly does sneak on at the moment. I'm finding the new grip is taking a bit of getting used to and that when having my finger lower for forehand, I tend to grip the bat very tightly.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 20:42 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Latest video from yesterday. Overall I'm fairly happy with this one, not so much that I've been able to implement all the recommendations but I can see I've made some steps over the last year. This improvement thing is a hard road with what sometimes feels like endless work going unrewarded, at least that how it feels sometime.

Then tonight I had a look at a video from April last year (9 months ago) and at the time I thought I was hitting them pretty well but I can see the improvements that I've made
1) Arms are tucked in more.
2) Weight more forward than backward.
3) Less shoulder lean.
4) More grounded right foot.

One thing I've noticed with all the counterhitting practice I've been doing with my practice partner is that my forehand drive is more consistent and I'm more and more doing a counter drive rather than just a standard block.

All these things still have a way to go but its nice to actually see some definite improvement.

Last years video

Yesterdays video

Last video is of me against my practice partner. Despite being very close in standard, I'd admit he has the edge. Practice games can go either way but he normally beats me on match night and his rating is slightly higher. In these sets we played pretty poorly missing serves and generally doing plenty of dumb things.
What is typical in my game though is the missed chances to attack despite just practicing just that. Examples are the first two points of the match, as well as points at 0:50, 0:55, 1:27, 2:03, 2:10, 2:19, 2:27 and 2:40. Not sure if I'm out of position or just lack confidence still.
I'm not happy with the open up misses at 1:27 and 2:46, they look ugly and feel ugly, all the bad habits coming into play.
What I am happy with is my improvement in the counterhit where perhaps would normally passively block, examples are at 1:16, 1:49, 2:03, 2:56 (best one).
Still working on the dodgy grip :lol:

Thanks for watching

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 00:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Nice videos, Cobalt. I don't want to open a big can of worms, but in my honest opinion, I can't see a huge amount of difference between the two videos. That's not meant to be discouraging, or to say that your practice has been in vain, but that actually I think your first shot wasn't that bad at all.

- I can't see the grip, but I'm going to assume that you're exhibiting the dodgy finger issue, but you've not fixed that yet anyway.
- In the first video your knees are bent (although perhaps could be more bent) and your stance isn't unduly narrow. You do seem like you could be leaning forward more.
- In the second video your knees and stance seem the same, although just maybe your weight is slightly further forward
- The finishing position in the first video looks fine - your bat is over your eyes and your elbow is out to the side
- The finishing position in the second video is also fine - I can see a triangle shape made up of your forearm, upper arm and head on both videos
- Your arm doesn't look like it started terribly straight in the first video, but it looks the same in the second video
- Your wrist looks slighty tense - it would be better if that were looser, providing a whipping effect as a result of the backswing and follow through, but again, I don't see that is better or worse in the second video
- Your upper arm position is perhaps a little high on the second video, which might indicate that the stroke is arm led. Again, I don't see a difference in form on the first video with respect to this. This might be a sign that you need to rotate your shoulders a little more, and, as I've indicated, you might want to look at straightening your arm a little in the backswing.
- You transfer your weight from left to right nicely in both videos
- It looks like in the second video you are generating a bit more spin, perhaps because you're trying less hard to really wallop the ball

These observations are based on what I am learning to look out for in my own strokes. Obviously I don't have these nailed in my own game, but I think you should be encouraged that your stroke isn't bad at all in the first place.

Hopefully this come across as encouraging, not discouraging.... *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 01:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

LordCope,

Interesting post and I agree with you - I actually thought the first video was his improved form until I saw the second. His current loop has better timing and spin, in part because the pushes are giving him more to work with, but also because his timing, feeling and racket head speed are just better.

I concluded much earlier in the thread that Cobalt has a nice loop - it was more the shadow swing and the repeated shoulder dropping in his proposed changes that I had an issue with and that he wanted to start finishing across his body below the eyes., All he has to do is get out of the idea that he needs to kill the ball hard to have a good loop and to work on hitting the ball at different points and to different precise spots on the table - he seems to have have a good upward loop (vs backspin/no-spin), but has less of a good forward loop (vs topspin/topspin block) largely because he ha a habit of dropping his left shoulder on the backswing rather than using smaller/higher and larger/lower backswing based on the height and spin of the incoming ball. He also doesn't try to play over the ball consistently. The ability to rip the ball comes naturally with practice but often breaks down under match pressure if that is all you practice.

IMO, his current stroke is good for an amateur, as we all are, and I have pointed out that his stroke is far better than mine was when I played at his level - I would consider the stroke in isolation a solid USATT 1800 loop. It is his ability to adjust the stroke to the incoming ball that is lacking and that reveals his USATT 1400 level. But that requires him to design practice that uses the loop to approach different kinds of balls and with different degrees of swing speed/power. It is unfortunate but in every multiball session I have seen cobalt do, I am never immediately sure what spin the feeder is generating and how that is supposed to influence Cobalt's matchplay stroke.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 01:17 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
NextLevel wrote:
It is unfortunate but in every multiball session I have seen cobalt do, I am never immediately sure what spin the feeder is generating and how that is supposed to influence Cobalt's matchplay stroke.

Ah yes... that was something I was going to comment on. In the various multiball sessions that I've seen, the multiball feeding has been poor. Cobalt - I think it would be very very worthwhile spending some time with your practice partner both learning how to deliver topspin and backspin balls, and to avoid service-style multiball feeding. This will be beneficial in terms of your own timing and feel of the ball, and also in terms of getting balls which emulate matchplay scenarios.

I'm going to be working on exactly this, as my children have expressed an interest in playing more, and I think that feeding them multiball while they learn the basic shot mechanics will be good for all of us.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 01:20 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Or just loop and have your opponent block :) Much more realistic anyway, and your partner gets a lot more out of it.

[Other gear I've used]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next