OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 10:40 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
actually - at a tournament - don't even think about it during the game, it will just add more tension.

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 19:56 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
PRW wrote:
actually - at a tournament - don't even think about it during the game, it will just add more tension.

Agreed. The technique that got you to a match is good enough - no point wasting time.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 21:25 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Will try tape a match if I'm comfortable. Not much video happens in these veterans tournaments and I don't take the big tripod, only a small one that sits on a table or something and lots of people walk past so I'd only do it if on an end table. Maybe Reb could give me a hand :)

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 20:58 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Report from a tournament on the weekend.

I have 4 events. O30's and O40's. Both round robin with 3 in a group, winner advances. Also played Div 4 (under 1,000RC) and Div 3 (under 1,300RC).

First match for me I captured on video. He was the highest rated play I played on the weekend at 1,550 and was the top seed in my group in O40's. Was a funny game that I really felt I could have won but he was a far better player than me, as I saw in other matches, but somehow he found my style and my topspin tomahawk tricky to deal with.

Takeouts from this game was my follow up after inital loop, and my backhand loop. I think I only landed one all match. Also missed plenty of attacking opportunities but at the same time didn't feel I needed to go all out.

My other O'40s (CA) was rated 1,220. Similar style to me but better at it though was right in it but lost (3, 9, -2, 8)

O30's I had my worse match of the tournament. RC1,360 and showed me how its done (4, 6, 3). He game me a good tip to work on recovery hence missing second ball.

My best match was also in the O'30's which I beat 1,125 which is my highest win ever. He's backhand dominant so I pumped his forehand which is not exactly hopeless. I was blocking well though and surprisingly landing my backhand loops which is MX-P didn't like. Got a bit lucky in places but was thrilled to hold my nerve and grab the win (−9 8 6 −10 8)

Div 4 I've bombed in the past and when I saw the draw was really happy for me to have a crack at my arch rival in FZ. Theres a video of our last game on my thread and I also got another video but unfortunately memory ran out before the end. This time I got revenge on FZ. What I put it down to is that I was a bit more patient than usual and picked my shots. FZ didn't really attack so really let me control the game. When he did attack I was under pressure but from my view didn't do it enough.

My next game was a bit the opposite. Played a good blocker, wasn't patient enough and my problem of not making the second ball really hit home. DT (940) had not offense but was really solid in the block, especially after the first game and a half and had me covered. Was disappointed to lose but in hindsight he matched up very well against me and highlighed a major flaw in my game when playing this type of player.

Div3 I played a 914 with long pimps. Was all over me at the start with his forehand but seemed to put it away after the first game and I took control and played well, got it in 4.

My reward was playing another LP albiet 1,250. Felt right in the game and could have won in 4 as I lost the 3rd 18-16 with plenty of games points. Last game got away from me and he won it pretty easy in the end. His pips were winning points but at the same time I was playing them pretty well considering its only the 3rd time in my life I've played against LP. Was just watching the rotation and playing accordingly. When he served with the LP I was just cracking them, especially backhand. Frustrating but fun.

Despite only reaching 2nd rounds, I was really happy how it went.

Uploading videos now, will post in the next day.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 03:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Nice report Cobalt. I didn't even really realise you played so many matches as you did. I count 7 there, 3 wins, 4 losses (I had 9 matches, 5 singles wins, 3 singles losses and a doubles loss). I was discussing with ML tonight. He told me you pushed GR (who is also from my club) and took a set off him. That's quite an accomplishment. I took a set off PW who was about 1600 and pushed him through the whole match, which felt like quite an achievement. Beating ZG was my crowning glory of the day though, kind like you beating ML. ZG not long ago was up in the 1360's.

You beating ML still astounds me, but you obviously liked his shots for BH looping, which is what he said threw him. And he also found your serve awkward. Just amazing as I find him to be way, way better than his rating....maybe I need to begin twiddling and start BH looping at him :lol: I used to beat him all the time, but lately he has found a line on me that just kills a ball on me after rallying.

CA, btw, was 1270, not 1220. He ended up in the Div 3 final against BB. who outed me in the semi-final (and has beaten me every time we've met - which is now 4). If the draw had been different I'd have met CA in the semi-final and most likely beaten him and the lost the final to BB LOL...but at least I'd have the runner-up cash :P :lol: Without the loss to BB I'd have gained 47 points for the day. Instead I got 24. 23 points seemed harsh to lose to a higher rated player (he was 1262 and I was 1253 to start the day), until I realised I'd actually gone up to 1297 by the time I played him and he was 1273 at that point. Funny how the system works like that.

Anyway, it was great to finally meet. I could see in our hit up your shots have certainly improved. Shame we didn't get a chance to have a match ourselves to see how it would fare. Also a shame the only time I got to watch you was against DT, who was obviously a style not to your liking. Funny how style can vary your game by a margin that seems like 500 points LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 10:28 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Here's first video vs 1550

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 15:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for posting Cobalt :up: :up: :up:

Yes your backhand loop certainly let you down...need more practice on that one. You FH loop is a lot more consistant, especially when you 'spin it up' instead of going for a power loop.

All in all, I think there are a lot more balls that should be attacked, even when it's a slow & controlled attack. When you do attack balls, it usually pays off. The pressure of a tournament may have affected you of course... that makes everything so much harder.

You should have had more practice with Reb if you wanted experience with LPs...his blocks are about as evil as it gets. :devil: :devil: :devil:

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 16:30 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thanks Haggisv,

Funny thing is that part way through the day I was really thinking my backhand was going really well. This particular video shows different but it was only one match.

I've also been wondering whether I should take about 20% off my shots and just try hit the table more often rather than winning the point outright. 20% off might still be good enough to win and as a minimum, still have control of the point. When I really try hit it hard, I think thats when I can also be off balance and not ready for the next shot so maybe thats something else to consider. I did get several 'nice spin' comments over the day when I did a slow spinny one, there was even one on backhand. :o

I've not had a look at the other video yet and will post soon.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 17:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
Yes your backhand loop certainly let you down...need more practice on that one. You FH loop is a lot more consistant, especially when you 'spin it up' instead of going for a power loop.

You should have had more practice with Reb if you wanted experience with LPs...his blocks are about as evil as it gets. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Its funny, as my mate from dandy (ML) that Cobalt beat said it was his BH loop that beat him. He is normally very aggressive on his BH and yet he said Cobalt gave him no opportunity or confidence to use it. I haven't watched this vid yet as it refuses to play for me. But the guy (GR) Cobalt is playing plays A1 at Dandy and is a sub-elite player. I took a set off him a few years ago in a tournament and pushed him close to taking 2 until i banged my bat into my free hand in a smash so bad I could no longer concentrate with the pain. I was still wrapped to take one set from him. He said I was awkward (have never played him again)....I think Cobalt's style was probably awkward for him too...but in the end he's too good to lose to someone way below his level. I've umpired matches for him at several other tourney's...and he loses sets, but only loses the match when the player is truly better than him (ie. close or higher rated). I recall a great match I umpired for him and another Dandy mate (who beat FZ easily on Sunday) at Geelong last year - same guy (BA) who won Div 2 on Sunday. GR still beat him in 5.

I offered Cobalt a match after his day finished while I was waiting for more matches, but given he had to drive back to Mt. Gambier (and still go get his family from their accommodation)...I understood him having to decline. I really enjoyed getting the chance to meet him and see a little of his game "live" just the same.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 18:42 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

In hindsight Reb I could have spared a quick 15 mins and regret not doing so but since family had no transport and were all a bit crook, felt I should go.

Its hilarious what your club mate said about my backhand given we are always calling out it as my weak point on here, though I do remember at one stage thinking "backhand's playing quite well, forum guys would be proud!" :lol:

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 20:09 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Here's the second video I took. Last time FZ beat me in 4 I think and this time I beat him in 4. Just had a look at our previous game which is posted earlier in this thread and he was in control of that game and a lot more aggressive but this time seemed the opposite.

My backhand was a lot better in this one compared to the last and that was pretty much how it was most of the day.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 21:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Cobalt wrote:
I've also been wondering whether I should take about 20% off my shots and just try hit the table more often rather than winning the point outright. 20% off might still be good enough to win and as a minimum, still have control of the point.

Cobalt wrote:
I did get several 'nice spin' comments over the day when I did a slow spinny one, there was even one on backhand. :o

That's sort of what I meant... don't take 20% off your shots, but put that 20% into spin instead of speed, which really improves your margin for error, and has just as much chance (against some players) to win the point compared to the powerloop.
Yes I do know what you mean... against some players certain shots just don't seem to work... it's funny how that is sometimes...

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 22:07 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Cobalt wrote:
Here's first video vs 1550

This really did not look like a match between players separated by 600 RC points. Shows how hard it is to judge level from a single video.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 22:57 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

My opponent would have been the first to admit this. Nice fella, was quite gracious but happy for me to burn the video. He didn't want to see it. I saw him play later and had no idea how I got so close.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 02:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Finally got to watch the vid vs GR (1550). He played sort of game that I've seen him play against lower players before (including me). He doesn't look much chop against someone who isn't giving him the kind of push along that requires him to lift his gears. This oftn results in him losing one or even two sets, which doesn't seem to bother him too much....but I've seen the emotions come out of him a fair bit more when he loses to someone who he's been in heavy battle with (at his true level). I don't think I've ever seen someone beat him who just shouldn't. When he plays someone at that higher level, its like watching a different person playing. His shots are sharper, his energy is higher, his aggression rises and he sweats a heck of a lot more. I guess some high level players are like this, while others just wipe the floor with lower level players as they just play the same gear with everyone.

Speaking of difference in player RC levels and how they look. If you'd seen me play BB who I lost the div 3 semi-final to...you'd swear I was 500 points below him, not 10 points above him. I have so much trouble with his game (which is very like my own) that I struggle to win points....which intensifies how hard it is to win the points further, cos of the pressure I know will be on before we even start :lol: I try to start a match with him with an open mind, but frustration grows as the games go on his way. And because I play him once a year at best, I don't get a chance to learn (or find) his weaknesses. When 2 players don't know each other too well, its often the case that one will fare better than the other from the unknowns, just because one is either a quicker study than the other, or one's weaknesses are more obvious to one than the others is to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next