OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 22:22 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
What free videos out there did you look at before practicing this?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Last edited by NextLevel on 12 Jun 2017, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 23:46 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Its called cart before the horse.

I've since gone and seen the TT Edge video with Brett. I can see I could initially move my left foot a lot further toward my right. Also shows that my stance should perhaps be a bit wider.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 06:29 

It looks like you're making "common mistakes" from Brett's tutorial on FH pivot.
#3 taking many small steps. ( although not as many as his exaggerated for effect example )
And # 4 not swing early enough. Your left foot is fully planted before you start your back swing.
I don't know about you, but I never have enough time in the middle of the point to move and then start my swing.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 07:57 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Red Roar wrote:
It looks like you're making "common mistakes" from Brett's tutorial on FH pivot.
#3 taking many small steps. ( although not as many as his exaggerated for effect example )
And # 4 not swing early enough. Your left foot is fully planted before you start your back swing.
I don't know about you, but I never have enough time in the middle of the point to move and then start my swing.

I never have time to do anything. One thing I'm realising is that I'm not reacting early enough to bat angle of my opponent. Rob keeps pumping my backhand with very telegraphed shots meaning there is no disguise. I should be able to better read where he's going to hit it and react earlier.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

The footwork in Brett's video is the best footwork even when you are slightly late. When you are early, less optimal things work. At the highest levels, you can see people cheat, sometimes successfully, sometimes unsuccessfully.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 19:52 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Tried the pivot again and I can see that this is better, far from perfect but an improvement. Having said that I went to practice tonight with high hopes and walked away a bit despondent. Against my peers I'm losing more than I'm winning at the moment and often its due to my errors and being out of position. Makes me wonder whether I'm attacking too much and that perhaps I'm just destined to be a 900 RC player and maybe should just play accordingly. ;( Anyway....boo hoo, here's the video.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 19:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

You aren't stepping forward on the follow through.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 01:03 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Cobalt wrote:
Tried the pivot again and I can see that this is better, far from perfect but an improvement. Having said that I went to practice tonight with high hopes and walked away a bit despondent. Against my peers I'm losing more than I'm winning at the moment and often its due to my errors and being out of position. Makes me wonder whether I'm attacking too much and that perhaps I'm just destined to be a 900 RC player and maybe should just play accordingly. ;( Anyway....boo hoo, here's the video.

I slowed the video down to have a look. A couple points:
1. Your turn is much better for the forehand, but you are hitting the ball too late. Have a look at these pictures below- the ball is dropping already. If you connect just before the top of the bounce, much easier - think of the plane the bat is traveling at, vs the direction the ball is moving
Attachment:
IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG [ 110.82 KiB | Viewed 2210 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG [ 112.81 KiB | Viewed 2210 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG [ 111.11 KiB | Viewed 2210 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG [ 92.25 KiB | Viewed 2210 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG [ 96.79 KiB | Viewed 2210 times ]

For your backhand - you didn't turn your hips at all. You drop your shoulders instead.
Attachment:
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG [ 93.04 KiB | Viewed 2210 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 01:09 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

actually - just looking at the photos above - your right foot is turned totally closed when you loop the forehand. If it pointed more forward - even totally open, like a duck - you could get more forward momentum, without over-balancing

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 09:45 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
If you look at bretts video look at the position of the right leg and left leg in relation to the table during the pivot. I think your right leg is too far back compared to brett and I think this hinders your weight transfer forward and the left leg bending when this transfer occurs.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 15:04 

It is a little better.

When I first started learning to pivot, I watched Brett's video over and over and literally stopped it frame by frame to make sure my full body mechanics were lined up.

It looks like you're trying to put too many pieces of the puzzle together at the same time.
Maybe some shadow swings with the footwork would benefit your brain learning what you want to do without the pressure of trying to time a ball?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 15:53 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

To be honest after reviewing all your comments and having a practice hit last night. Trying to do the perfect pivot is probably the least of my worries. The pivot thing just came out of the blue as I was just moving from backhand to forehand, practicing my loops and sort of realised I was doing a pivot, albiet a flawed one. I'm happy with what I've learned but for now I think i should concentrate on just being more consistant with mulitple loops from all over the table. Really found myself stuck in the mud on Monday and felt like I had concrete feet.

I'm finding that when the ball is the perfect spot for me I hit a pretty decent shot, both backhand and forehand. However when I'm a little rushed or the ball is slightly out of the zone, rather than doing a simple shuffle and putting the ball in the perfect spot, I tend to do a variety of weird shots. Often I might move to the first one but then I'm off balance or too busy ball watching to get back into position for the next shot.

That is probably the biggest factor holding me back right now. Just not sure of the drill with a) robot and b) a partner to practice this. Maybe its just something I have to play a few games and really just keep reinforcing. Make it the ONLY thing to concentrate on that day. Maybe I could put a couple of stickers on the floor for my feet and try move back on those after every shot, not sure.

Edit: Looking at my body rotation with the forehand, I don't seem to have any body whip. I understand the mechanics of this from playing golf to a reasonable level and the term 'coil' was used there. My arm seems to drive my rotation rather than the other way around. I always seem to be putting in a lot of effort but perhaps a bit more body whip or coil would result in a better result relative to effort.

Did I say only concentrate on one thing? :oops:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 04:52 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

have a look at this video, get Rob or robot to block to forehand middle, then forehand, etc. Get the little skips ingrained! :)

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 11:49 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Went to the Country Carnival on the weekend which is both a teams and individual tournament for Rural towns in South Australia. I was in the A grade team and we felt we had an outside chance of winning. Turned out that I had 2 match points to put us in the final which we were confident of winning however I blew them and lost 14-12 in the 5th. For the day I ranked 8th by winning 8 out of 12 matches and I believe won a medal for my efforts. The pleasing thing was that I did better against every opponent that I played last year by either beating them when I had lost last year or at least getting closer by taking a game or two. Its hard to gauge improvement against the players that you play all the time as they get to know you, so its nice to get some validation of improvement.

Reached the quarter finals of the Open mens singles by beating team mate Rob. Its only the second time I've beaten him outside practice and did it fairly comfortably in 4. Went in with a plan which paid off. Decided to just knock the ball around for the first 4 to 6 points to get in the game and settle. After that was just going to go for it. From memory was 3-1 up after the first 4 points so really started attacking. Backhand was really good, maybe consistantly the best strokes I've played over the course of a match. As usual he tried to focus on my backhand but I was looping often and well.

The quarter itself was another story and despite having a lead in one game, was totally outclassed by a player 300-400 pts higher with LP that he attacks with.

Also made semi of Open doubles with Rob which we lost in 5 to other club members. Made final of O40 singles but lost in 5.

Our best player, as seen in some videos above played off the the planet to win the Open singles against a player who hasn't been beaten for a while.

All up a fun weekend and to pick up about 25 points is a nice little bonus.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 16:33 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

I've got a week off work and planned to have a robot session each day however unfortunately other things have got in the way.
Today is Thursday and I finally managed to get a session in and take some video.

First up I tried to work on some counterhitting, mainly as there is someone at the club bought the same robot so I was trying to work out some settings for him to practice. The Oscillation ruined me :?: . Even at the slowest setting it still turns pretty fast.

Second video is to practice a backhand flick off a shorter serve. The serve is actually still long but the shortest I could get. Its to specifically practice against a serve that I struggle with from our best player. I tend to push back just a little long or pop them up. A decent flick would do wonders for me.

My learning comes from watching an EmRatThich video and also Dan from TT Daily against Cam when they review Cornilleau rubbers.
Comments welcome, preferable with a time reference in the video.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next