OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 03:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 20:46 
Super User

Hello everyone,

I'm going to have a go at a blog, updating it often hopefully!

I will start the blog with my table tennis equipment history and my playing experience.

I have been playing table tennis for 13 years, since I was 9 years old. Over that time I have used different equipment set ups to find one that suits my style. From the ages of 9-12, I was a double inverted player, using Yasaka Xtend on both FH & BH. At 13 I used Anti on my BH and this suited me better. The following year my coach introduced me to LP and I've never looked back! I have used various LPs for the past 8 years, but for the past 4 years I've been using Globe 979 1.0mm with Tenergy 05 MAX on a Donic Alligator Combi blade.
This year I wanted to try something new, something with more control and possibly even more reversal or disruption to my opponent. So 3 weeks ago I decided to buy the Joo Se Hyuk blade, Hellfire 0.9mm in red and Tenergy 05 FX 1.9mm in black. This set up is pleasing me at this moment in time :D

A little about my table tennis history;
From the age of 13 to 17 whilst I was a school kid, my club team would compete in the UK schools teams and individual competitions. 4 consecutive years we were North Yorkshire champions and regional champions. One year we finished in the top 8 teams in the country.
In 2010 I competed in the individual schools competition. I became North Yorkshire champion in the process and won through to the national finals. Where I competed against players from the England team. I was particularly impressed with my match against then No.5 under 18 player Sean Cullen, where I lost 9-11, 10-12, 11-13.
One of my highlights is the fact that I have beaten Liam Pitchford in the schools competition. This was when we were both young and he hadn't been playing long. (But hey! I can still say I've beaten him!) ;)
I have been ranked in the top 100 for Under 15s and Under 18s in the country and that was whilst only playing 2-3 tournaments in a season, which I thought was fairly decent going.
Since leaving school I haven't played in tournaments, other than league closed tournaments.
I play in the 1st division of my local league, the Ryedale table tennis league. Last year I had my best season to date. Finishing 7th in the player averages with 71%, my team got runners up and I got to the final of the men's singles the league's closed tournament!
Last year I also played in the York table tennis league, my team won our division and I won the player averages with a healthy 98%! And I won my divisional singles at the York closed tournament.

This season I'm playing 3 leagues, I'm competing in the Selby table tennis league too. So far this season I've played 1 Selby match and 1 York match. I won all 3 singles in Selby by 3-0 in the 1st division. A good start!
Next up was my first York match after going up into a higher division after our promotion. I won all 3 singles again, even beating one of the best players in this division. VERY HAPPY! 100% start so far for me this season! All using my new JSH, Hellfire and Tenergy 05 FX set up!

Tonight I have my second Selby match, I am hoping to get video footage for you to see how I play and any reviews or help/advice for me would be much appreciated!

I will be blogging my season and how everything is going for me in my journey to improvement! And I will of course have questions on various things along the way for you all to answer :rofl: I love questions as I'm sure you've gathered ;)

FOLLOW MY JOURNEY TO IMPROVEMENT :)

Thanks,
ridderz65

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 21:50 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Great start! I will be following your blog closely. Sounds like you're pretty good! Videos are always nice if you have a camera.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 22:03 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Great start! I will be following your blog closely. Sounds like you're pretty good! Videos are always nice if you have a camera.

Thanks Japsican :)

I will try my best with video footage but I will probably be limited to my phone or a tablet for the time being.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 10:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good on you for starting a blog ridderz65!

Blogs are not only interesting for other people, but can also be very valuable for yourself, as you reflect and analyse your own experiences, and see your own progress :up:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 11:28 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Nice start! You are far better than I am. I'm interested in what you think about hellfire in 0.9. I have a sheet in ox but find it hard to chop the ball with large amounts of spin. I also use p1r 0.6 on another blade and my chops are heavier with that...

Is the sponge soft? And how does it play in the short game? Do you use a side swipe technique close to the table vs backspin or are you able to chop it back like Joo Se Hyuk? Mostly.... Show us videos:) This forum loves member videos and from your intro I am sure yours will be worthwhile to watch.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 18:22 
Super User

Hi guys,

I had my second first division match in the Selby league last night and I managed to win all 3 by 3-0. 100% so far.

Unfortunately I didn't get video footage as I forgot my phone charger... DOH! :headbang:

Made an order of new stuff today too. I'll write about that later :) ;)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 22:42 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Great that you started a blog & congratulations with your victories. You seem to adjust quite easily to new equipment. Did you ever try Curl P1r (1.0mm or more is great on JSH-blade) in the past? I'm looking forward to see some video footage!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 23:32 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Curious how you play.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 18:33 
Super User

Pipsy wrote:
Great that you started a blog & congratulations with your victories. You seem to adjust quite easily to new equipment. Did you ever try Curl P1r (1.0mm or more is great on JSH-blade) in the past? I'm looking forward to see some video footage!

No I haven't tried it on the JSH blade, although I did try p1r 1.0mm on a Donic Alligator combi blade. I stopped using it as I found my opponents could attack me easily and hit the ball straight past me. They said it didn't trouble them.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 18:37 
Super User

I'll be getting a new order of stuff early next week. I CAN'T WAIT!
I have ordered the Sauer & Troger Zeus blade to try with my 0.9mm Hellfire LP.
I have also ordered the Matshusita defence blade, Grass DtecS 0.5mm and Tibhar Evolution FX-P 2.0mm. This will be a trial set up.
I also got a nice shirt on top of that ;) got to look the part ;)

Can anyone tell me if they feel I would get more out of the Hellfire LP on the JSH blade or the Zeus blade? I'm going to trial it, but has anyone got any advice?

Also how would the dtecS go on the Matshusita defence compared to the JSH blade? And because I've been using 0.9mm or 1.0mm LP sponge should I have got the 0.9mm Dtecs? Or should I be ok with the 0.5mm?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 22:04 
Super User

I think you will find quite a bit of difference between 0.5 and 1.0 mm sponges, but we can't say if i it will be better or worse for you.

I guess if your opponents found p1-r 1.0 mm an easy rubber to play against probably it's because you didn't manage to master it's potential in the little time you used it ;) Many of us try to use p1 effectively, but not many succeed! :lol: Nonetheless it remains the most used long pimple rubber among top players, so it has great potential.

About the other questions, i fear they can't be answered easily. One should perfectly know both the blades and the rubbers, and probably should have tried them together, and even then "works better" / "works worse" still remains a matter of feeling and tecnique :P
At most, someone could answer to more specific answers like: "does this LP have more reversal on this or the other blade?" "is this LP faster here or there?" "has this LP more spin generation than the other pip?"

By the way, it's great you started this blog! You surely are a good player and i think you can add good content to the forum :up:

P.S: i also hope you can show us videos soon :rock:

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 18:57 
Super User

Hi guys!

Sorry about the lack of updates, it's been a busy week!

I've had 3 matches this week, winning 5 out of 9 games. Losing to a player ranked lower than me. But the other 3 players were all ranked a division above me. I was winning against all 3 but their experience prevailed in the end I guess!

I think half my problem is I still cannot decide on what blade and LP to use. I keep changing and it's not settling. I think perhaps the hellfire is my favourite so far. But I am going to give Juic Leggy Defence a try. Has anyone got any information on how this rubber plays?
I'm sticking with my JSH and VKM blades. What difference will these two blades make to the LP rubbers? Will the JSH offer more reversal than the VKM? Or vice versa?

My aim is to get a video of me playing today. And hopefully get to upload it this afternoon. Anything anyone particularly wants to see? Or shall I just record me playing a game against someone?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 20:33 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi guys!

Sorry about the lack of updates, it's been a busy week!

I've had 3 matches this week, winning 5 out of 9 games. Losing to a player ranked lower than me. But the other 3 players were all ranked a division above me. I was winning against all 3 but their experience prevailed in the end I guess!

I think half my problem is I still cannot decide on what blade and LP to use. I keep changing and it's not settling. I think perhaps the hellfire is my favourite so far. But I am going to give Juic Leggy Defence a try. Has anyone got any information on how this rubber plays?
I'm sticking with my JSH and VKM blades. What difference will these two blades make to the LP rubbers? Will the JSH offer more reversal than the VKM? Or vice versa?

My aim is to get a video of me playing today. And hopefully get to upload it this afternoon. Anything anyone particularly wants to see? Or shall I just record me playing a game against someone?

I don't know anything about the blades and the Juic. Maybe a warmup and a game would give a lot of info about your playing level.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 18:52 
Super User

So after much deliberation, confusion and down right annoyance in my mind, I'm going to stick to two different set ups and try and master them.

I have been swapping and changing blades and rubbers around and its been hell! Trying to find that combination!

I have decided to stick with Hellfire 0.9mm and 1mm Donic Spike P1. These will be interchanged between the Joo Se Hyuk blade and the Donic Defplay Senso blade to see which rubber I prefer on which blade. Then I will stick to these.

For one final mess around with rubbers, just because ive wanted to test it for a while, I am going to buy a 1mm Juic Leggy Defence and try it on both blades.

I feel the Defplay and JSH blades will be good for my strong forehand loop and attack, but will also complement my long pimpled chopping game on the BH. Both offering good control and reversal.

Watch this space! Video to come later this week providing my video equipment will work!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 16:32 
Super User

Played another match last night in the York league. One of the players was once a top division 1 player but has just come back last year after a few years out.

I won all 3 singles. Beating that guy 12-10 in the 5th game, and I was 6-1 down in the 5th! EVERY POINT! ;)

I used a new combination last night, I used the JSH blade, with 0.9mm red Hellfire and 2.0mm Tibhar Evolution FX-P black. I have to say I really liked this set up, the Tibhar Evolution FX-P was a delight, the control was excellent and had wonderful feel to it. The sound it made when striking the ball was delightful! The spin maybe isn't massive when serving, but its enough for me to create a potential 3rd ball attack. The hellfire pimples are still satisfying me. They are one of the best I've used since the ban. Still going to try Juic Leggy Defence and DtecS in 0.9mm sponge. I have used globe 979 in the past, but I think there are better rubbers out there.

Video potentially tonight!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next