OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 19:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've been thinking of relaunching my blog, or at least splitting it into two, so I can maunder philosophically on the original one, and use this for specific analysis and improvement discussion. To do that requires video. So the plan is that by banging this stake into the ground, I'll have made something approximating to a public commitment to post clips of my practice and matches whenever I can.

I have a few barriers:

1) My phone doesn't have much space on it
2) My tripod is colossal
3) I feel really awkward filming matches

However, I need to overcome these issues if I'm to gain benefit. So these represent the first steps in this new journey. Please hold me to account if this doesn't get updated at least weekly!

Thanks!

- LC

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 22:34 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
LordCope wrote:
I've been thinking of relaunching my blog, or at least splitting it into two, so I can maunder philosophically on the original one, and use this for specific analysis and improvement discussion. To do that requires video. So the plan is that by banging this stake into the ground, I'll have made something approximating to a public commitment to post clips of my practice and matches whenever I can.

I have a few barriers:

1) My phone doesn't have much space on it
2) My tripod is colossal
3) I feel really awkward filming matches

However, I need to overcome these issues if I'm to gain benefit. So these represent the first steps in this new journey. Please hold me to account if this doesn't get updated at least weekly!

Thanks!

- LC

Good. Videos help a lot. I agree with feeling awkward filming matches at tournaments or league matches. Start with filming drills, short clips. That can also be very helpful. Then film practice matches. But filming matches that really matters something gives you (and others) more info since most of us plays a little different when it really matters.

Get a bigger memory card for your phone, that helps a lot. Don't borher about big tripod that makes it feel more awkward. Try without tripod or with a small one. I have one for my phone, it has bendable legs that can be bent around a fence or whatever available. Very nice, and it fits in my bag so I always has it with me.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 22:49 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Def-attack wrote:
I have one for my phone, it has bendable legs that can be bent around a fence or whatever available. Very nice, and it fits in my bag so I always has it with me.

I'm thinking about something like this: http://joby.com/mobile/griptight-gorillapod-stand

I'll look into options regarding a memory card. My phone is an iPhone 6 plus, which doesn't have an easy way to expand it, but I'll see if I can find a solution.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 03:57 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

LordCope wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
I have one for my phone, it has bendable legs that can be bent around a fence or whatever available. Very nice, and it fits in my bag so I always has it with me.

I'm thinking about something like this: http://joby.com/mobile/griptight-gorillapod-stand

I'll look into options regarding a memory card. My phone is an iPhone 6 plus, which doesn't have an easy way to expand it, but I'll see if I can find a solution.

I have a stand almost exactly like that, works fine.
Iphone is not expandable... too bad. But you can use Bambuser to save it to the cloud directly (not as good resolution) or film with lower resolution. Or buy a cheap camera...

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 04:05 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
A Sony CX330 or similar is the way to go - makes everything easier!

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 04:34 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
NextLevel wrote:
A Sony CX330 or similar is the way to go - makes everything easier!

Agreed. I have been using my smartphone and it's just too complicated and too much work. The most convenient part of using your smartphone is the uploading to youtube. The most inconvenient part is the editing and sorting and dealing with the camera app vs. all of the other processes going on with the phone...especially during filming which ruins your footage (Time outs, memory limits, incomming calls and texts, battery limits, screen timeouts). I've got several incomplete matches or training sessions saved.

I'm looking for a plain old HD camcorder for this..cheap and easy to use.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 04:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sony CX 405 is a good one. You need the wide angle unless every hall you play in has good big courts. I just got one with the kit and extra battery for $160, so pretty cheap. The last match and practice video in my blog is from it so you can see how it looks.

About the tripod I was advised to get a great big one because otherwise people just won't see it, or won't respect it's personal space, so to speak. People are scared of knocking over whatever is sitting on a big tripod.

And I sometimes feel a little weird recording in a new place, but I just ask everybody, do you mind. You would be surprised how many people say some variation on, "okay, if I can see the video." When they say that I always do post it to youtube and email them the link. Way more people have said that than have ever said no. although there have been a few. In those cases, no big deal, I don't play that different that I need to see every match.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 05:24 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
BRS wrote:
Sony CX 405 is a good one. You need the wide angle unless every hall you play in has good big courts. I just got one with the kit and extra battery for $160, so pretty cheap. The last match and practice video in my blog is from it so you can see how it looks.

About the tripod I was advised to get a great big one because otherwise people just won't see it, or won't respect it's personal space, so to speak. People are scared of knocking over whatever is sitting on a big tripod.

And I sometimes feel a little weird recording in a new place, but I just ask everybody, do you mind. You would be surprised how many people say some variation on, "okay, if I can see the video." When they say that I always do post it to youtube and email them the link. Way more people have said that than have ever said no. although there have been a few. In those cases, no big deal, I don't play that different that I need to see every match.

Does it have an uploading/wifi feature to send footage directly to youtube?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 07:12 
LP Collector
LP Collector

There was an impromptu practice session this evening, with just four of us. One of my team mates, her husband (good division 2 player) and another fellow (also a good division 2 player). I managed to record two sets against one of the division two players. I lost the first, I think 11-9, and won the second, I think 15-13 (after a little run of luck). I'm going to transcode and upload the video this evening. First impressions are painful! I look absolutely terrible! Still... we can only improve by analysis!

Last edited by LordCope on 29 Dec 2015, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 07:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Japsican wrote:
BRS wrote:

Does it have an uploading/wifi feature to send footage directly to youtube?

No idea. I doubt it for the price. I always edit before posting anyway.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 07:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
There was an impromptu practice session this evening, with just four of us. One of my team mates, her husband (good division 2 player) and another fellow (also a good division 2 player). I managed to record two sets against one of the division two players. I lost the first, I think 11-9, and won the second, I think 12-10. I'm going to transcode and upload the video this evening. First impressions are painful! I look absolutely terrible! Still... we can only improve by analysis!

Everyone looks terrible on video. I'd like to say you will get used to it after a while, but I haven't.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 08:25 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

LordCope wrote:
There was an impromptu practice session this evening, with just four of us. One of my team mates, her husband (good division 2 player) and another fellow (also a good division 2 player). I managed to record two sets against one of the division two players. I lost the first, I think 11-9, and won the second, I think 15-13 (after a little run of luck). I'm going to transcode and upload the video this evening. First impressions are painful! I look absolutely terrible! Still... we can only improve by analysis!

We never look as good as we feel ;)

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 11:06 
LP Collector
LP Collector

OK here we go. Unedited, but here's the line up:

00:00 - 01:01 -- initial warmup
01:04 - 03:30 -- Game 1
03:34 - 08:02 -- Game 2

In case you're wondering, I'm the chap with a beard :)

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 17:59 
LP Collector
LP Collector

I had a go at editing the video, with some slow motion replays. Quite effective!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 06:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

OK, this is me doing some chopping practice:

Comments?