OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 06:51 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Okay, no doubt some of you have seen the website in my signature, and some of you have actually taken the time to have a look (thank you)! Anyway, to sum the website up briefly, it's about the physics behind table tennis (Magnus Effect, etc.), but, I did a large experiment (scientifically valid, of course :) ) to find out what different substances (such as oils) did to the rubbers' power and spin.
Just recently, I've completed Part 2, which was an experiment to see how effective cleaning rackets and keeping them in cases is (especially for lower-end equipment). A few people have suggested I start this thread, so enjoy!
I'm interested in any and all feedback, too (leave here, or on the website)!

http://howspinworks.com

Thanks!
- Musicfreak

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

Last edited by Musicfreak0 on 21 Oct 2016, 07:25, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 08:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

good job.
Were the balls new (dusty)? Washed? Worn?

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 15:15 
Super User

Thanks Silver. The balls were worn (fairly evenly). The idea behind that was the gradual disintegration of the balls would have a minimal effect on the results.

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 02:17 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
I like the control on tests.....
Do you ever do tests while only applying these substances to the BACK of the rubber? I know very many players who boost and non of them put the substance on the playing surface of their rubber

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 07:54 
Super User

No, I think the uncontrolled variables introduced from pulling the rubber off and re-gluing would cause discrepancies larger than my margin of error. So, I think that doing that would only end up in useless data. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 14:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Looks like you're an Essendon supporter, so using banned substances is probably not a good idea :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 15:31 
Super User

How'd you know I'm a Bombers supporter? :?
And yes, good point! Also, cut it out, Reb! ;) :lol:
Who do you support?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 13:07 
Super User

Back in 2014, How Spin Works Part 1 won a prize of $300 in the Grade 8 division of the UTAS Science Investigation Awards.
I'm very pleased to announce that two years later, How Spin Works Part 2 has won the Grade 10-12 division prize (beating ~40 other students, up to 2 grades above me), for best Physical Sciences (Physics & Chemistry) and Engineering project! A prize of $200. Thank you all for your feedback and ideas! :party:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 17:48 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Congratulations and well done!

Now when are you going to put it in practical application and rule the TT world?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 08:28 
Super User

Retriever wrote:
Congratulations and well done!

Now when are you going to put it in practical application and rule the TT world?

Thanks, Retriever! I'm already applying it, but it's saving money, not enhancing the racket! :D

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2016, 21:03 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Thumbs up for the tests and work. What puzzles me is the reduction to rare liquids (besides water) used in these tests, but not these chemicals like petrol, white spirit or alcohol we actually -do not- use...

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 07:55 
Super User

Red wrote:
Thumbs up for the tests and work. What puzzles me is the reduction to rare liquids (besides water) used in these tests, but not these chemicals like petrol, white spirit or alcohol we actually -do not- use...

Thanks for the feedback, Red. I'm a little confused as to what you mean regarding the liquids, but assuming you are questioning why I chose those substances, here's what I can remember (it was 2 years ago - and I was in Grade 8, so it's a bit of a challenge!) :lol:
Olive oil: I saw a video on YouTube that you could "paint" sunflower oil on the rubber and that would enhance the grip. I didn't have any sunflower oil, so I tried olive oil and...
Vegetable oil: see above! :D
Spray starch: My theory behind that was that it would intentionally reduce the spin, because I noticed that whenever I walked past the ironing board, I'd slip and almost fall over!
Detergent: I really can't remember if there was a particular reason why I chose to do this - probably just a combination of curiosity and chance.
Water: I was told to just "wipe your bat down with water" instead of buying a racket cleaner, so I thought "I'll put that to the test!"
Hot air: Not sure, probably just wondered if the rubber getting dried out would have any effect.
Saliva: Sheer curiosity.
Non-stick cooking spray: Similar to the spray starch, except I don't recommend spraying it on your ironing!
Silicon spray: Definitely don't spray this on your clothes! Again, I just figured it would reduce the spin and kinda make the rubber like an anti.
Breath: Lots of people seemed to do this at my club.

Don't judge part 1 too harshly: I only started playing competitively (ie against adults in open pennants) a little after that, so my practical knowledge of table tennis was nowhere near as high as it is now. With part 2, I've had an extra 2 years of research, plus there are a lot of things I've learned from this forum.

--------

Part 3: I reckon my blade study would count as How Spin Works part 3, so check out out in my signature!
Ideas for future: Re-test part 1 with higher quality tests + new substance, eg honey (please suggest any other subtances!).
A study on the reversal, spin, and speed of different pimple types (+ anti) - this would tie in quite nicely with my blade study, as I'm going to eventually try to optimise blades for different types of pips.

---

Finally, great news: How Spin Works has a new domain, and is now http://www.howspinworks.com, instead of howspinworks.weebly.com. However, you still access the site from the old link - because I've had to forward the new website to the old one to avoid paying $50 a year, the way I've got it connected means you can't see the URL of individual pages. That means if you want to copy and paste a certain page for whatever reason, you need to go through the old (weebly) link. If none of that made sense, then don't worry, it probably won't make any difference! :lol:

And even better news: on Sunday, I leave on a 1-week science conference in India, to present How Spin Works part 2, and the effect of cleaning rubbers and keeping them in a case (and thus preserving them) on sustainability.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 09:37 
Super User

White spirit is medical petrol, so to say. It could have a better effect than that of standard petrol.
We used petrol 1x per 2-3 month to clean the rubbers from oil etc. and alcohol with water was our regular cleaner. It was used as replacement for the more expensive special cleaning sprays and foams.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 09:53 
Super User

Red wrote:
White spirit is medical petrol, so to say. It could have a better effect than that of standard petrol.
We used petrol 1x per 2-3 month to clean the rubbers from oil etc. and alcohol with water was our regular cleaner. It was used as replacement for the more expensive special cleaning sprays and foams.

Okay, now I'm with you. Wow; never knew that people used petrol as a cleaner!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 09:59 
Super User

I wouldn't recommend petrol as long as the rubbers are ok. Back in the days the rubbers needed to last at least a whole season, maybe 2, with 10+hrs training a week.

Oh, there's a thread: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9375