OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 19:22 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
I like a blog session to put up my thoughts and experiences finding my way into long pips (again).

First I will introduce myself propper so readers (if there will be any) know where i'm coming from.

I started playing tabletennis when I was 12. This was at school.
Our school got 3 tabeltennistables and they set it up durin gym. Later on they put 2 in a central hall.
I enjoyed it and got member at a club. I started training and competiton.

I started with 2 normal rubbers like everybody else (I think).
Then I saw an older guy playing with long pips ....... close to the table and sometimes chops from far from the table.
I talked with him and tried it myself. As there was no trainer I learned al by myself (no youtube in that time 1985 or so).
I wasn't very good but the problem was that people didn't like to play against me. Because at younger age we had almost no long pip players many got frustrated.
Many matches I won after 2 balls because they didn't know what to do .......
I had many NO FUN matches because off this. So after a few season I quit and took 2 normal rubbers again.

I played pretty well and trained 3/4 times a week with my teammate (he didn't wanna train with me when playing long pips) and we got better quick.
After we outages the youth competition we started in the 'normal' competiton. We started pretty low but the play was totaly different with the older steady guys as opponent.
Second season we got champion and moved up a class. Next season again .....
The next season we missed the championship with one point ............
Then we got champion with one match to go ........
We started learning to play different and smarter ......
BUT ... our club said that we needed to play this level again and our seat was given to a team that degrad (is that the correct word)
We where not happy but so be it ...... offcourse we where champions again and again the club said no promotion (the other team degraded again).
We got angry and frustrated and my teammates wanted to quit ...... I talked with the coach and said that we wanted that spot .. we earned it.
He said we could get the spot if we played in a tourney at the higher level. Depending on that result we would get the spot .....
And what happend ....... my teammate and I got in the final and he won it.
The club said ...... sorry we already signed you in on the same level as the year before .......
My teamates got upset and quit ...... So I asked can I play as a 4th player in the team that got our spot .... NO i could not i needed to start even lower ........
So I quit .......

I have been out off tabletennis for 10 years ......... Then when I moved to a different city I started again.
I joined a team and have been teammates ever since. We hop between 2 'levels' ..... sometimes we win and promote .... play one or 2 seasons and degrade again ......
It all depens how strong off a poule it is ........ at the higher level I win around 50/60% off my matches, at the normal level I wain 75/85% of my matches. The only reason we drop and win is one off my teammates. He is on a lower level and wins 40% in the normal class, in the higher 20% is already a good result. this year we didn't because first iwth only 2 points short.
I had 83% win, my other teammates 78% and 22% ... BUT ... we play together since I started again and we have fun. As long as he keeps playing we stay as a team.

Now after a time I only play competition and never train anymore.
When i bought fresh rubbers last season (i replace rubbers ever season, and playing with DHS Skyline 2 on BH, DHS Skyline 3 on FH.) I bought a long pimple rubber.
I used to play with Butterfly Feint Long or something. So I wanted something like that. I took by spare frame (same as where I play with) and but the pips on it.
I need something different, i need to have a challenge, fun again .....

During the season I didn't touch it ... now the season is over it's time .....

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 19:49 

The long pips I got was DHS Cloud & Fog 3, 1mm sponge.
BackHand I put on the DHS Hurricane 8.

When the season was over I went to our freeplay evening and played a bit.
After that I watched some YT movies so learn how to return or make certain hits ....
Then I went to the evening again ......

The 3th evening it got much better and won from my teammate (the good one) and from another player who has a much higher rating.
BUT .... the second match around they learned and knew how to play me and I lost from both players.

BTW: I play with the pips on my forehand, as my backhand is very good and I can put them much more under presure with the BH then the FH.
And also 75% attack with forehand to the forehand off the oponent. So why should I put the long pips on my BH?
If they attack my BH I can quickly block or just place the ball quickly in return. I have won matches from very good players because they thought BH is week and they kept attacking that side :).

But the problem I have with this rubber is that te ball jumps to fast from the pips. So I thougt take a ox.
Watched a lot off reviews and thought this might not be the rubber for me. It plays nice when chopping far from table, but it jumps to fast when (chop)blocking.
So I was reading up and watching movies and came out with Dr. neubauer Viper 0.6. It should be great for close table play.
So I got this one and for the FH i went back to the Skyline 2 because the Hurricane 8 was to jumpy for me.
So I have to bats now. DHS Hurricane 8 / DHS Cloud & Fog 3 1.0 and a DHS Skyline 2 / Dr. neubauer Viper 0.6
Both on a Donic Epox PowerAllround frame.

I play close to the table. From BH I can push with a lot spin, I can loopspin very good with high spinrate, and I can block very fast.
Fast contra play I mostly am to slow, fore or backhand :) .....
From pips I chopblock, normal block or quick pushes long on the table. I can do chops, but i like playing close to the table more to put pressure on the opponent.

I haven't played with the Viper yet. The pips feel much softer and are way smaller then the other one.
Tuesday is playtime again.

May 10 a new 'season' will start .... but not an official season ..... it a special season they always do in the summer.
You can put a team togehter off any level. You can play agains palyers at any level ... but depding on you rating you will get points or give points before you start a match. Matches are for 2 winning sets to 21 !!! points.
So if I play somebody who has a rating 100 more then me, I get 4 points before we start. The more the difference, the more points you get/give.

I dedicated myself to playing the season with the pips. And I also found a learning weekend special for long pips
First weekend of june (1th / 2nd) I have a 2 day long pips learning weekend. It's given by a german guy Sebastian Sauer
I hope te learn a lot because there is no trainer at my club that can learn how to play long pips.

In this blog I will try to write down how it goes, where my problems are and how the rubbers develop.
Also what is going good offcourse and how I feel about things that happen.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 22:58 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
A very nice story so far, GarField, please keep updating the blog!

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 06:17 

Today I played with the new rubber.
BH 2.15mm DHS Skyline 2. FH: 0.6 Dr. Neubauer Viper

It's a complete different feel then the 1.0mm DHS Fog en Cloud 3. It's way slower and near the table it felt very good.
far from the table I had difficulties to get it over the net. It just didn't make it, or it was to high. But that is more how I have to play the ball.
I'm used to the faster F&C ..... so that will cost some tie to manage.
Server respond was awesome ....

Still have torubles with a second ball ... so they spin ... I block/chop return .. they push ....... I have to twiddle and take it with normal or be better with returning with long pips.

The funny thing is .. I used to play with the BH 2.15mm DHS Skyline 2
But now with the long pip rubber it sounded very different when I hit the ball, and it seems way slower now .....
So I think this week I will replace the BH 2.15mm DHS Skyline 2 with the 2.0 mm DHS Hurricane 8.

Alll in all had a good practise today. Had some fun matches ...
Friday we will have cup matches ..... (every level plays verseus every level and depending on rating you get points ahead of have to give points, best off 3 count to 21).

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 06:34 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Subscribed to your channel by making this post. :up: It's quite common knowledge the rubber on the other side will feel different depending on the pips you're using.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 07:53 

Lorre wrote:
Subscribed to your channel by making this post. :up: It's quite common knowledge the rubber on the other side will feel different depending on the pips you're using.

I didn't now that :).
I'm going to switch the skyline with hurricane ... the given effect with hurricane felt much higher but speed also ....
As the speed felt slow it could be perfect combo :).

I realy love the pips for short play ... for longer play I just have to practise ....

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 09:07 
Super User

Strange as it may seem there will be a difference in feel even if you use the same inverted rubber with different OX pips on the other side. One of those mysteries I guess! :^) It will be more pronounced in your case coming from 1.0 C&F3 to 0.6 Viper :o

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 02:12 
Joo Too
Joo Too

It might be the weight that is coming into play. That might explain the different feeling.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 07:44 

The bat with hurricane and fog and cloud is much heavier when I had it with skyline.
Now the viper is less weight (less sponge) with skyline is indeed very light.
We will see friday. I changed the inverted rubbers so we see how it feels when I play.

PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 02:46 

Funny. Same frame ...

DHS hurricane 8 with Clud and Fog 3 = 183 gram.
DHS Skyline 2 with DHS Cloud and Fog 3 = 175 gram

DHS Hurricane 8 with Viper 0.6 = 155 gram. Viper is way lighter then the C$F.

BTW ... AFter switching the inverted rubbers the feel was the same .... If I would bet it looks like the new skyline 2 rubber is slower than the older versions (it had a new packing).

PostPosted: 11 May 2019, 09:00 

Ok. This evening I played my first 4 matches.
Like I said before .. it's 'cup' play so you can play against anyone ....
Depending on difference in rating you get points or have to give points.

My first match was against a player with ony 18 points difference so we start at 0.0
It was a close match and everything went ok ... he plays with short pips on backhand but no issue here.
He had a hard serve on my backhand so when he started with that serve I switched the LP to BH.
I lost with just a few points so I was surprised. He didn't play lot on my LP.

Second match I played against a player who was 43 points up in rating.
But it went very good. I missed a few shots but i'm that good :D ... i make bad shot.
It was an easy win first set .. second set he attacked more on my backhand but I still god a good win.

Then I had to play against a VERY bad player. He was 466 lower in rating and got 12 !! points before we started.
So 12.0 for me before I hit any ball :D. I always have problems with low ratings players ..... because I am not an attacker from slow play ... I am more off a block/hit ball type but those players don't attack much just push teh ball back.
Now I had problems with the LP. First push was ok .. but second was way to high ...... sometimes I treid attackball but it was not going very good. I did win the first set but second and third I lost.
I always have problems with low level payers .... but this time I had extra troubles because the LP.
I am not experienced enough to twidle more times during a rally.

Last match I played a played a player 146 points lower and I had to give 4 points. That's not much ....
He had trouble with my serve so I got a lot off points there and won the first set easy.
Second set he did a very long, with no spin serve on my backhand ...... and I could hit it back with my inverted rubber but he could attack that ball ... so then I changed to LP ...... but it did go in the net or high and many times even over the table. As I was much better as practise I did keep that LP on BH to learn. But it cost me 3 out off 5 points when he served .... a bit behind but the same issue ... in the net or over the table. But I won.

So 2 matches won, and 2 matches lost.
The match against the very low player has not much to do with the LP.

I learned a lot today and got some more match experience. So that's good.
I had some great chop/block balls but also many went wrong ..... if they didn't go good they where to short.
I really have to adapt to the slower pips.
I did grow into the hurricane 8 rubber. Had some awesome fast blocks and hits from BH.

Next week I can't play so only train on tuesday.

PostPosted: 13 May 2019, 19:51 

Today I get from a friend a new 'bat'.
Andro Ligna ALL. If I look at the value's it's the same speed, but has more control the my current frame.
On one side it has butterfly sriver .... other side Tibhar Grass Ultra with a bit sponge. If I look at the shop it has to be 0.5 mm.

Looking at revspin value's the Grass is faster then my Viper.
Well ... I can put a old skyline 2 for the sriver rubber and see how it goes.
Atleast I have another option to check out .....

Edit: He now says it's Tibhar Grass D.Tec ... well tonight I will see

PostPosted: 14 May 2019, 01:51 
Joo Too
Joo Too

GarField000 wrote:
Today I get from a friend a new 'bat'.
Andro Ligna ALL. If I look at the value's it's the same speed, but has more control the my current frame.
On one side it has butterfly sriver .... other side Tibhar Grass Ultra with a bit sponge. If I look at the shop it has to be 0.5 mm.

Looking at revspin value's the Grass is faster then my Viper.
Well ... I can put a old skyline 2 for the sriver rubber and see how it goes.
Atleast I have another option to check out .....

Edit: He now says it's Tibhar Grass D.Tec ... well tonight I will see

DTecs... O boy: that the darkest of the dark. :P

PostPosted: 14 May 2019, 05:40 

OK. He forgot the bat, but it's a Tibhar Grass Ultra.

Will get it next week. That's ok because I want to play with the stuff I have now more to see how it goes before make another change.
Atleast for the matches .... It's a bit slow but I have to adjust to that I think ...

Tuesday training/free play ... and sunday I signed in for a tournament.
Friday for the cupmatches I have to sit this one out and can play next friday again.

PostPosted: 14 May 2019, 09:42 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
GarField000 wrote:
Funny. Same frame ...

DHS hurricane 8 with Clud and Fog 3 = 183 gram.
DHS Skyline 2 with DHS Cloud and Fog 3 = 175 gram

DHS Hurricane 8 with Viper 0.6 = 155 gram. Viper is way lighter then the C$F.

BTW ... AFter switching the inverted rubbers the feel was the same .... If I would bet it looks like the new skyline 2 rubber is slower than the older versions (it had a new packing).

Wait, 28g weight difference between Cloud & Fog (1mm) and Viper (0.6 mm)? :o Does Viper have special anti-gravity sponge?

Are you sure numbers are correct?