OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: "Have Bat, will travel"
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 20:27 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
One of my table tennis ambitions is to meet and play people from this forum.

Job, family, finance, time are all factors which I often list for putting it off. But enough is enough. If you're interested in playing people from this forum, why not take the opportunity to let other members know that that's what you'd like to do - and by play it can be social knock, practice or match play.

So, I live in the UK. I've two weeks leave coming up at the end of September start of October. I live in the NW England. I'll hopefully have a couple of days free to travel and play table tennis. Willing to travel about 100 miles each way for social knock or practice. Anyone interested? Dates to be confirmed.

If you fancy playing other members from this forum, why not add your details, how far you'd be will to travel and when you're available.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 21:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Debater wrote:
One of my table tennis ambitions is to meet and play people from this forum.

Job, family, finance, time are all factors which I often list for putting it off. But enough is enough. If you're interested in playing people from this forum, why not take the opportunity to let other members know that that's what you'd like to do - and by play it can be social knock, practice or match play.

So, I live in the UK. I've two weeks leave coming up at the end of September start of October. I live in the NW England. I'll hopefully have a couple of days free to travel and play table tennis. Willing to travel about 100 miles each way for social knock or practice. Anyone interested? Dates to be confirmed.

If you fancy playing other members from this forum, why not add your details, how far you'd be will to travel and when you're available.

FH: An old control sheet
BH: Timeless
very interesting combo m8-i have yasaka anti power on b/h-i have an old sheet of tac c in 1.1 that is dead and very controlled.the sheet is off blade at the moment and is having a holiday.i may attach it soon after experimentation.
i may be interested in a game as long as you play me in tennis aswell :devil:
ps-im assuming that timeless=joola?

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 22:01 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
It's one of my thing as well. I usually post here and other forums letting people know that I'm going over to their country/city and will put extra effort to play with them.

So far, some good experience, and some bad. Among the bad is the excuse it's too far away from where I live. For example, latest trip to Singapore. Riding subway it could take one hour or so from east to west, changing several lines. Some people use that excuse. I even said I would go wherever they usually play, at whatever time suits them. That means going on two hour trip on a foreign country by myself. I'm okay with that, but so far didn't get enough respond.

Few years back met with some Singaporean members and played together, though, good meet.
Met and played Reb a decade or so ago, and few others Aussie mates from ooak here.

Japan is next on the agenda. Between ooak and other forums, I hope to be able to meet and play with some members during my trip to Japan in early November.

No members playing in Hong Kong so far as well last time I went in May. Recently got in contact with a couple of people who lives in Hong Kong from my instagram, so might be able to play with them the next time I go mid November after Japan.

Next year, hopefully will be able to go to Australia and meet more people there.

England in the next 2-3 years hopefully.

Oh, by the way, I'm in Surabaya, Indonesia. Not a travel site. Most foreigners would go to Bali, and Jakarta instead, both about one hour flight from where I live. I did facilitate several forum members who visited Bali and Jakarta with some friends at those cities so they can play.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 00:22 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

That's an interesting perspective rokphish2. Often we live in blissful ignorance of what has actually gone wrong or failed to materialise. On this forum there is a premium on etiquette and manners and in many ways it's a "utopian" experience being here. In reality though, not everyone is nice or reliable. I wonder if anyone else has had some negative experiences like yours in amongst the positives.

My one regret about playing or meeting people here is not having the confidence to meet a forum member from the USA when they came over to London. I suspect next year, I'll have another regret about not meeting a forum member in Australia.

There's a saying, on people's death beds, it's not the things they did which they regret, it's the things they didn't do. Hence this post. No risk, no gain.

What's stopping people from meeting up. Is it really work, time, travel, money or are they "excuses" and the real reason is that we're comfortable in our virtual table tennis world and don't want to risk stepping outside of it?

peterpong, timeless is the name I give to the 802-40 short pips I'm using. Technically I guess I should call them "boomerang" because I keep coming back to them :) Alas I'm still recovering from back surgery so Tennis, whilst a great game to play, is beyond me at the moment. Maybe a challenge for next year?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 03:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Debater, come on! Get some serious travel going and come to Australia! I'd travel to England to play you, but I've got a few major obstacles to that. One is I don't even have a passport any more. And I also have a daughter who would be very upset if I left the country for anything more than a week (hardly enough time to go anywhere). One day though, I'd like to travel with her to England and skip over to France (and that day may not be as far away as it seems). I'll let you know if I get the chance before you :P

100 miles from you and 100 miles from me isn't going to cut it though.

When Rok came to Melbourne, we welcomed him with open arms. I provided him a taxi service from the train station to our club, and IIRC Mars63 drove him back to his hotel. Can't wait for him to come back here so I can see what has changed between our games. It's a long time ago now, but I think he whooped me at 7's, 8's and 9's (maybe I took him to deuce, not sure I won a game). But I was unseasoned B2 back then. I'm very seasoned A3 these days. 5 grades and 9 years should account for something eh Rok ;) :P :lol:

But this wistful thinking about playing others from the forum is just that, unless you get into gear and make it happen. Haggisv told me he was coming to Melbourne and it seriously looked like a meet between us may not have happened. That would have just been wrong on so many levels. Fortunately, after much brainstorming I conjured an agreeable plan that saw us spend 2 wonderful hours playing blissful TT together, which you have of course seen the evidence of. It was well worth the effort!

Have done similar in the past for OOAK members who have happened my way. BVautier (from Newcastle, but no longer active on OOAK) is one. And another was MetalMonkey may he RIP. I was so glad and honoured to get to meet and play that young man before he was taken from the earth not very long after. And THAT meeting should tell everyone to do what you can ASAP as the future is not promised.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 08:22 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I'm always up for an adventure. If it coincides with one of the tournaments (Blackpool maybe?) even better. I live in Hampshire, but travel around a lot, and work for myself, so no problem working around other people's time commitments.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 12:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I would love to meet other forums members, and would happily travel to anywhere in Adelaide to catch up with them. Similarly if I do travel somewhere, I make an effort to discover if I can meet any forum members there.

I must admit that meeting other forum members comes with a bit of anguish though, that we somehow don't meet expectations, or that it can somehow ruin a long term online friendship, because the person is not quite as expected. The closer the friendship is online, the greater the anguish, but equally the greater the excitement to finally meet them!
I met Reb in Melbourne recently when I went there for a holiday with the family. As we've been online friends for almost 10 years, I felt a little nervous as well, but we had a great time and I felt very comfortable almost immediately after we met. I think we're probably closer friends now than before, so it was definitely worth it for me, and it's certainly made me keen to meet other forum members as well. Of course Reb may not feel the same way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 20:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
I think we're probably closer friends now than before, so it was definitely worth it for me, and it's certainly made me keen to meet other forum members as well. Of course Reb may not feel the same way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well now, I have to say my expectations were shattered! First you were not as tall as I expected. :P Second, I didn't take a game off you. So, was it worth it? Well there's one major problem...when do I get a chance for a re-match? :lol: Another 10 years? :o I honestly thought I'd have been to Adelaide in the last 10 years, as I went there 3 times in the previous 5 years to that. But no, the opportunity hasn't re-arisen. So of course it was worth it! We got to meet up without me going to Adelaide again. That was a bonus LOL.

And of course meeting up made a stronger friendship, you just know I like to mess around here lol. :up: So now I have even more reason to return to Adelaide. :party:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 05:10 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
haggisv wrote:
I think we're probably closer friends now than before, so it was definitely worth it for me, and it's certainly made me keen to meet other forum members as well. Of course Reb may not feel the same way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well now, I have to say my expectations were shattered! First you were not as tall as I expected. :P Second, I didn't take a game off you. So, was it worth it? Well there's one major problem...when do I get a chance for a re-match? :lol: Another 10 years? :o I honestly thought I'd have been to Adelaide in the last 10 years, as I went there 3 times in the previous 5 years to that. But no, the opportunity hasn't re-arisen. So of course it was worth it! We got to meet up without me going to Adelaide again. That was a bonus LOL.

And of course meeting up made a stronger friendship, you just know I like to mess around here lol. :up: So now I have even more reason to return to Adelaide. :party:

I think I'm going to be sick :P

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 21:05 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

LordCope wrote:
I'm always up for an adventure. If it coincides with one of the tournaments (Blackpool maybe?) even better. I live in Hampshire, but travel around a lot, and work for myself, so no problem working around other people's time commitments.

Blackpool is only about 25 miles from where I llive. If ever you are up this way let me know. Our league runs a social session on Friday evenings open to anyone 19:00 - 21:45. I usually help out coaching that night but if you're up this way I'll arrange to be free to have a full evenings knock with you.

No one else interested?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 23:51 

Blade: TSP Balsa 5.5 All+
FH: Nittaku Beautry 1.8mm
BH: S&T Hellfire ox
Hi Debater,

I have been thinking of traveling to see you, I contacted Peter who plays in your league (we spoke about him previously) but he was injured.
I am in Harrogate, so if you fancy a trip across, let me know.

Thanks

Setup3: Blade: DMS Destroyer FH: Tenergy 05 max BH: DMS Transformer 1.5

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 17:56 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Hi v02man. Yes I fancy a trip across.

We can sort out the details by PM if you want?

Mainly going to be around day time and venue availability? If there is any equipment you are interested in trying out to see if it suits your style now, let me know and I can bring it with me (blades and rubbers - lot's of SP's).

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 18:40 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Yay. Courtessy of v02man I'm going to get to enjoy playing table tennis next week. :D

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 19:00 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
photos and videos please... :up:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 07:53 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

rokphish2 wrote:
photos and videos please... :up:

Sorry, there's already enough of me on this forum and the internet. As for others. Can't speak for them.

Cheers