OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 18:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 08:13 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Red wrote:
Regarding the video, is your opponent using pips or anti?

You should open your attack forehand-wise more controlled against this type of opponent, not really going for the immediate win. Drive him more to one side and nail him there, for example on the backhand-side, by placing the ball there 2-3 times before a valid topspin-ball to the other side gives your opponent a hard time reaching it.

No material used, he is just a very good backhand hitter capable of even hitting through backspin.

Thank you for the advice, I will do my best, however my bottleneck currently is linking 3-4 solid strokes in a row, the best I can do right now is hitting a spinny opener on a table 60-70% of time and after that I am all over the place and make many errors so I may lack technical capabilities for any longer rally strategies.

However, I am working on it and percentage of topspins (both FH and BH) that land on the table increase every week so I will get there eventually just need to train regular and smart, thanks again for all the help.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 21:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Hi Barfly, here's a couple thoughts from memory after watching your video.
- Your serve looks good, not much variety though
- Your slow spinny loop is very good when balanced and starting front on. Your errors come from when you appear to be chasing the ball, almost running side on to the table. Try shuffle step left and right.
- After your first loop, your follow up often misses (like me). Firstly I expect that against most opponents you play, that first loop usually is good enough to win, it doesn't come back. You need to assume it will and get ready. Secondly you need to make the adjustment from backspin to topspin and hit through the ball more for your second shot.
- Backhand loop looks good, just need to play it more but also practice it more to give more consistency so you are in turn more confident to play it more.
- Your block often misses so not sure if your opponent is just hitting really got shots or if your block could use a little work. If it's the latter id say simply angle your bat more.

There are just my thoughts and feel free to dismiss if not correct. I really like the way you play and will be following your progress as I see a lot of me in your play with all the same flaws.

Also if you identify things to improve, just try do one improvement per session or it will all get lost.

All the best, keep the vids coming. :-)

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk after a few sneaky beers

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 23:42 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Barfly wrote:
Ok, haven't been posting much, but I have been training diligently, even managed to solve some emotional/psychological blocks and bad attitudes that were plaguing me and slowing me down and I am generaly in a good place: enjoying myself and making solid progress - most notably, I am not exclusively relying on serves and trying to win points outright, instead I am serving a lot of no spin and relying on my loops to win points which is possible for me for the first time.

Also, finally managed to summon the courage to ask one of my table tennis buddies to tape one set and post it online, so here it is, any feedback and criticism is super appreciated:

https://youtu.be/NqWfZOsQWP0

You looked fine. Just try to understand why you missed and change your approach to the ball based on how you swing at it. And practice a few more shots while being forced to move.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 19:36 

Cheers for the comments guys, really appreciate it!

I will have a 1 on 1 session with my coach this week after a 2 week holiday break and I will try to get some more footage, especially of more complex drills.

Wish you all the best in the new year and take care!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 01:13 

Had my first 1 on 1 session with a coach after the holidays, did a lot of random drills and match situations and pretty happy how it went.

Made 2 videos for analysis:

Forehand loop vs backspin, I was supposed to cover 2/3 of the table width, so a bit of movement and randomness involved:

https://youtu.be/LZKrWhg4yWU

Random topspin vs block drill:

https://youtu.be/7m4tTCxsglc

Overall pretty happy with how things look, seems like all the small technical things I have been working on for the last 2 years are coming together in something semi coherent.

Things I especially like is arm straightening on every shot and at least some forearm snapping and resemblence of triangle on finishing position; I still often finish with elbow above the shoulder but movement isn't coming from upper arm only as it used to and still trying to brush upward a bit too much but it seems this is also improving.

Things to work on: really seem to lack FH whip, especially vs block - I often take the forearm back, wait, loose momentum and start from halt - I know where this habit is coming from, up until recently I had no backswing and arm straightening at all and I consciously worked on straightening the arm on every swing but now I am stuck with isolated out of sync backswing which isn't connected to the ball speed so my loop is far from a single fluid motion.

Loop vs backspin seems better but still a lot less whip then in my shadow swings, perhaps some unconscious tension creeping in?

Also backhand topspin, seem to have very short mini backswings so perhaps improve on that.

Any criticism welcome, thanks

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 09:39 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Well done barfly, good to hear of some improvement, looking good.

One thing I'm wondering (not sure) is whether in the backspin video you are taking the ball a fraction too late. Sometimes it even looks to nearly be past you though could be camera angle. Also pretty much every shot the ball has already started dropping and by the time contact is made you are hitting it about 10cm below its peak. If you take the ball a bit earlier it may also help you swing a little more forward.

Could be wrong though so judge for yourself or seek clarification from someone else.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 01:51 

Great observation, thank you very much!

I rewatched the video in slow motion and here is the typical snapshot:

Attachment:
Late contact (22.1.2017. 17-08).png
Late contact (22.1.2017. 17-08).png [ 110.9 KiB | Viewed 1834 times ]

The ball has completely passed by me and I just started to swing toward it, with so little space for acceleration there is no way to lift heavy backspin and of course the ball from that snapshot ended in the bottom of the net.

This will be my focus in the next training session, just not sure how to go about it, faster backswing, perhaps I hesitate too much before starting the backswing so I am late, actually I will just focus on hitting the ball soon after the bounce and let my brain figure up the details :P

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 21:47 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Another thing to think about. When you are doing the multiball, you are often starting your back swing from the finish position of you last shot. Compare this to your match video where you start from neutral. You need to be careful not to be ingraining an unnatural swing that you won't do in matches. To correct this I'd suggest you take more time before balls or do a 3rd ball attack drill where you serve backspin, partner pushes then you loop. You can extend this by partner blocking and you looping the topspin block. This is really good to practice the transition from looping backspin to topspin. You play the point from there.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 04:25 

Haven't posted much but I am still in love with table tennis, training diligently and competing in amateur league with much improved results.

Treated myself with some new equipment, have a new blade Avalox V1 which I really like, nice soft feel, great comfortable vibration on every stroke and pretty fast for an all+ blade:
Attachment:
DSCN5550-min-min.JPG
DSCN5550-min-min.JPG [ 860.53 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN5552-min-min.JPG
DSCN5552-min-min.JPG [ 843 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]

Also upgraded my Rakza7 soft to Xiom Omega V Europe and think I maybe took it too far; rubber is really fast and powerful and with it I have something resembling fast kill loop but on the other hand I make much more unforced errors and I am afraid it is simply way to demanding for my lowish technical level and I spray balls all over the place.

Have couple rubbers in mind that I want to try and hope to gain more control, one is Baracuda Big Slam that I will probably get next week locally which I hope to be very spinny but limited in catapult and pace so easier to control and I am really curious about Regalis Red and Nexy Karis as spinny control options and hopefully I will get my hands on one of those too.

Finally, some videos.

Backspin practice clip:
https://youtu.be/YxRx3jzJKIA

Couple of things I like here, getting some nicer, brushing, forward contact instead of chasing the ball on the way down and hitting back of the ball thickly.
My backswing is really timid and slow so have a lot to improve there but even at this stage my backspin/no spin combo is the biggest easy point earner in my arsenal.

And couple of practice points played with my coach, my coach of course being easy on me to give me a chance to land some shots:

https://youtu.be/R1Qv6z80Z60