OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 09:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 11:20 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Watch an expert then shadow swing in a mirror will help fix it.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 21:59 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Cobalt wrote:
Watch an expert then shadow swing in a mirror will help fix it.

I am sure that is the way to go, but here is the thing - I have watched are rewatched ttedge instructional videos dozens of time and I know every common mistake by heart and generally look good and relaxed on shadow swings and ball drops, even in basic drills when I can concentrate fully on my stroke I seem to check all the boxes for a solid topspin (straight arm, whip, salute finishing position...), its when it goes at full speed and random that I completely fall apart but fine, its probably standard for adult learners and I have to accept it will take time and patience.

Couple more observations: stay lower and more on toes, that should keep me swinging more forward by default.

Also, my greatest improvement was made in my serves and there are two good reasons for that - I filmed myself a lot more often so there was less room for self delusion and I practiced multiple times per day, whenever I was bored I did some floor serves and this is what I need to do with my loops, stand in front of a mirror at least 2-3 times daily and to some swings, I will even keep a spare blade in my bathroom to remind me to do a small drill every time I am there.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 23:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
The videos looked fine to me - what are you not happy with?

IF you don't like your current forehand, focus on the backswing. You don't do enough there and you end up rushing to hit the ball, rather than getting some good whip that you can carry into the forward motion.

Your attitude to missed balls in practice is terrible. Your focus should not be on whether the ball hit the table, but on whether you did the swing the way you wanted to do it.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 23:48 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Part of the problem is that you are brushing way too much. Hit the ball a bit more. TRying to skim the ball will lead to too much upward motion.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 19:11 

NextLevel wrote:
The videos looked fine to me - what are you not happy with?

Attachment:
fh finish.png
fh finish.png [ 697.72 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]

Here is a good example of where my swing finishes most of the time and in ETTS25 Brett pointed to the same thing - my elbow going way above my shoulder (at it shouldnt go above 90 degrees) and my bat way above my head which is a sign of not straightening the arm enough and using way too much upper arm which makes the swing slow (plus I am jumping up, loosing balance and falling backwards...)

I did some recommended shadow swings where I would stop the upper arm with non playing hand and made some improvements but it seems I need to to this a lot more.

Regarding my attitude, you are completely right, it can be embarrassing and for some reason I believe than missing the ball completely is bad, shameful somehow and I must protest, puff or berate myself which is just silly but unfortunately it comes automatic, will look into it more and see if I can change it.

And I will do my best to implement your generous advice- more active, faster backswing, more forward motion/less brushing, thank you very much for your help !

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 19:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Good blog.Nice coach 2 :D

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 21:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's okay to get angry in practice, shows that you care a lot.

I think the stuff you put under "plus" is the main causes. If you are falling back then your swing will be too much arm and too vertical to compensate. Try to move your body into forehands like in TE33 the heavy left foot video. Except ignore the part about three separate movements -- it's all one movement at game speed. When you see the ball is coming to your forehand rotate your shoulders and hips on the backswinga, then step forward so your left foot lands as you touch the ball. You may only step one inch, but moving forward will produce a much better shot than if your weight is going up, down, sideways, or back. Even if the ball comes right to you and you don't need to move at all, try to do this small step. I think if you do that your swing will fix itself without you consciously changing it.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 23:17 

BRS wrote:

I think the stuff you put under "plus" is the main causes. If you are falling back then your swing will be too much arm and too vertical to compensate. Try to move your body into forehands like in TE33 the heavy left foot video. Except ignore the part about three separate movements -- it's all one movement at game speed. When you see the ball is coming to your forehand rotate your shoulders and hips on the backswinga, then step forward so your left foot lands as you touch the ball. You may only step one inch, but moving forward will produce a much better shot than if your weight is going up, down, sideways, or back. Even if the ball comes right to you and you don't need to move at all, try to do this small step. I think if you do that your swing will fix itself without you consciously changing it.

Brilliant, thanks a lot!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 01:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:

So if you don't get angry, you don't care a lot?

Being angry about misses is what leaves many people unable to experiment with their games to make the necessary improvements. Rather than look at the technique, they look at whether the ball hits the table or not. I don't mind being angry about your not doing the shot the way you were supposed to. What I mind is being angry when the ball doesn't hit the table as if that is the primary indicator of whether you did the shot correctly.

Hopefully, your advice will help. I think what he needs is more shoulder rotation and to wait for the ball a little more. And to of course brush a little less. He is trying too hard not to hit the ball because he is separating his attempt to get spin from the stroke when as you pointed out, a stroke is one movement.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 02:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:

So if you don't get angry, you don't care a lot?

I didn't say that at all. Just everyone is different - some people are a lot calmer than others. But i doubt many people get mad and smash stuff who aren't that serious about their practice. So I'm not saying it's better to get mad, just not to fight it if that's your nature. Anger is a powerful emotion that can be channeled, it's not all bad.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 02:37 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Barfly wrote:
And I will do my best to implement your generous advice- more active, faster backswing, more forward motion/less brushing, thank you very much for your help !

No, no, no. Not a faster backswing, but one with better timing, almost circular. I think Brett discussed it in ETTS 29 or so.

If you look at this video of WLQ, you will see that he doesn't begin his swing until the ball is close. He slowly takes the racket back but when the ball is close, then you see the backswing acceleration begin. You will also see all the other things BRS talked about, but basically, work on rotating the body and getting a good backswing. And hit into the ball. Don't try to avoid it to get spin. Find the right contact point. Don't swing upwards - swing forwards. So don't drop your racket. Take it backwards. Only backspin requires you to drop your racket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppw7NT9g1w

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 10:48 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I definitely think that patience is key, one cannot expect him/herself to immediately fix a mistake; rather, they must be diligent and endure. You go into the furnace as impure gold ore, but when you come out, you become refined and pure gold, with all impurities gone. I hope you guys get the metaphor.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 08:31 

Ok, haven't been posting much, but I have been training diligently, even managed to solve some emotional/psychological blocks and bad attitudes that were plaguing me and slowing me down and I am generaly in a good place: enjoying myself and making solid progress - most notably, I am not exclusively relying on serves and trying to win points outright, instead I am serving a lot of no spin and relying on my loops to win points which is possible for me for the first time.

Also, finally managed to summon the courage to ask one of my table tennis buddies to tape one set and post it online, so here it is, any feedback and criticism is super appreciated:

https://youtu.be/NqWfZOsQWP0

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 23:54 

Ok, so I watched this video in slow motion couple of times and obviously I have a ton of issues to work on but I am also quite happy with some of the things I saw and can see some nice progress.

Things to work on:

1.Again, way to vertical FH topspin swing which ends over the head and behind my ear instead of forward in front of my forehead and trying to brush way to thinly which makes me miss a lot of balls completely, would really like to hit more into the ball, but i am aware of that for some time and I am working on it.

2.Thick contact on my backspin serve: sometimes I hit thick and with back of the bat on purpose to get no spin serve , but a lot of time It is simply a mishit. For a while I had a really nice thin, skimming contact on the bottom of the ball 2/3 of the time but I haven't practiced much serving lately so I have regressed a bit.

3. Reaching on counterhits and using upper arm a lot which surprised me, thought It was one of my better strokes.

4. Thick contact pushes that go into the net

5. Moving up and down constantly

6. Getting stuck too close to the table

Things I really like:

1. Backhand topspin - I like it in general, even on misses my stroke seems to be pretty solid with some whip and tip of the bat facing
toward my body on backswing as I practice in my shadow swings, couple more months of drilling and this could be a real weapon I hope.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqWfZOsQWP0#t=00m18s
-I really like this point here despite it not looking all that great to anyone good-usually in such fast exchanges my brain goes overwhelmed and I usually just poke the ball arround but here I managed to finish the point with something resembling good FH form: there is some shoulder rotation, arm straightening and stroke finishes with bent arm close to the forehead, so even under heavy pressure elements of good form are showing up and all the shadow swings and multi ball drills are not in vain which makes me quite optimistic.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 03:01 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Regarding the video, is your opponent using pips or anti?

You should open your attack forehand-wise more controlled against this type of opponent, not really going for the immediate win. Drive him more to one side and nail him there, for example on the backhand-side, by placing the ball there 2-3 times before a valid topspin-ball to the other side gives your opponent a hard time reaching it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!