OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Road to top 500
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2016, 23:27 

Blade: VKMD
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: SSPC 2, 1.5
I have realized how hard it is to update a blog like this regularly. I have played two tournaments and one league match since last time, but it's hard to find time to write about it. Especially when you get home at 9 pm and all you really want to do is go to bed. I am going to post about them soon I hope. New match on friday and another tournament this weekend though.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 05:43 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Rawr wrote:
I have realized how hard it is to update a blog like this regularly. I have played two tournaments and one league match since last time, but it's hard to find time to write about it. Especially when you get home at 9 pm and all you really want to do is go to bed. I am going to post about them soon I hope. New match on friday and another tournament this weekend though.

9pm! That's an early league night in the UK. Last night we finished at 11.30pm and I had a 25 mile drive home in thick fog.......

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 06:21 

so_devo wrote:
Rawr wrote:

9pm! That's an early league night in the UK. Last night we finished at 11.30pm and I had a 25 mile drive home in thick fog.......

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Haha, maybe I'm just a youth with no discipline then!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 05:27 

New season has started, we lost our match vs the team that is leading the division 1-8. All four of their players are incredibly good, so the result was expected. I played vs their worst player (who is still probably one of the best in the league) and managed to win 3-2. I lost both the first sets 8-11, but managed to come back with 11-4, 12-10, 11-4. He didn't like attacking underspin at all, so all he did was stand close to the table and push every ball. I realized I could make him attack by giving him easier balls, high with no spin. Then I would lob or chop his attack and if he didn't attack the next ball, I could usually get in and attack. I am not very comfortable looping a push, but I can attack very well when the ball pops up from a chop or lob. Quite proud of the match and the fact that I adapted well to his play style, because he did the same thing vs my teammate, so I guess that was his style.

The second match I played was vs the best player in the league, who hasn't lost any matches at all. I was quite close to taking the first set, I was up 10-7 but lost 10-12. After that he adapted well and I didn't really come close in the next two sets. He was very smart, and very good at forcing me to play like he wanted. He was definitely in control after the first set. I feel like I would have had a better chance if I took the first set, even though I don't think I would have won the match anyway. Quite fun to meet someone like that.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 05:33 

Last december, I also played in the south swedish championship. I got second place, in the lowest class. It was played when I wasn't really sure if I wanted to continue being a chopper, so I tried playing offensively but ended up mostly standing far back and lobbing a lot. I have decided on how I want to play though, and I have settled on the equipment I want. I am definitely going to continue chopping, although attacking more frequently. I used to play more or less 95% of my shots with backspin, no matter how easy they would be to attack. I'm trying to do something that's more 60-40 or 70-30. The switch to short pips feels great too, both when attacking and defending.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 05:34 

So this half of the season is over, and I had one of my best seasons ever. I decided to switch back to long pips in february. The short time I played with SP really improved my play overall. I have also been training almost daily since then, about 2-4 hours a day. Since the change back to long pips, I have won two tournaments, placed third thrice and managed to climb about 400 points on the ranking. My record in competitive matches since the switch is something like 56-11, 38-9 in matches that count for the ranking. I am really excited about playing and I have four tournaments left this season, I hope I can gain just a couple of points more and be ready to aim for 1500+ next season.

The areas I have improved most is twiddling to attack with my backhand, chopping on my forehand, and also looping with my forehand when I can.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 06:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Rawr wrote:
So this half of the season is over, and I had one of my best seasons ever. I decided to switch back to long pips in february. The short time I played with SP really improved my play overall. I have also been training almost daily since then, about 2-4 hours a day. Since the change back to long pips, I have won two tournaments, placed third thrice and managed to climb about 400 points on the ranking. My record in competitive matches since the switch is something like 56-11, 38-9 in matches that count for the ranking. I am really excited about playing and I have four tournaments left this season, I hope I can gain just a couple of points more and be ready to aim for 1500+ next season.

The areas I have improved most is twiddling to attack with my backhand, chopping on my forehand, and also looping with my forehand when I can.

Hi! Nice blog, keep writing! And you need to film your games and practice sessions once in a while. It is fun too look at your own progress and you can get much help from others with videos. Also, read through Leatherback's blog from his China session, lots of good stuff there!

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 23:02 

I started writing things down in a sort of journal instead of writing here, felt much easier. I think I'll continue updating after tournaments though. Filming myself playing is something that I plan on doing, but I haven't started doing it because my phone is too old and run out of battery too quickly, so I need to either get a new phone or get a camera. But I'll start doing it for sure!

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 05:56 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
I don't know how things are in Sweden, but on this side of the Atlantic you can get Chinese GoPro knockoffs that record 1080p at 60 fps and take normal micro-SD cards pretty cheaply. Less than $65. It's probably easier to mount one of those to a tripod in a stable manner as well.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 11:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Rawr wrote:
I started writing things down in a sort of journal instead of writing here, felt much easier.

A shame, you'll miss out on feedback and perspective from the forum... and I also do enjoy reading your blog.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 18:00 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

haggisv wrote:
Rawr wrote:
I started writing things down in a sort of journal instead of writing here, felt much easier.

A shame, you'll miss out on feedback and perspective from the forum... and I also do enjoy reading your blog.

Also, blogging is good for keeping your English going ;)

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 02:32 

I went to a training camp for one week this summer. I wish I could have stayed longer, it was a lot of fun. I got five training days with three very high level coaches. We trained 5 hours a day, in two sessions. One session of single ball excercises and one with multiball. I feel like I managed to learn more during these five days than the last six months. I could have stayed for two more weeks, but that would have been quite expensive and I have another vacation I'm going on.

I also recently started trying out playing with a double inverted setup. I have wanted to try it out for a long time, Satoshi Aida is probably my favorite player, but I didn't have many videos to watch of him until recently. I have found 11 videos of him on youtube, and also found out that he is moving to Sweden to play for one of our clubs here. Unfortunately not mine, but I might get the opportunity to watch him play. I think that the only real problem I have with going to double inverted is that my backhand near the table is pretty bad most of the time, but I twiddle a lot, so I feel like I could make it work.

My biggest reason for wanting to change is actually the fact that I twiddle so much. I think that playing with long pips means that I have to chop every ball that comes to my backhand when I'm far from the table, and I have developed a very good backhand loop that I can't really use in matches. Twiddling is good, but if you use a regular rubber on backhand, I feel like you have more time between deciding to loop or chop. I want to try it out more at least, because I think that if I can forehand chop with inverted, why not backhand? There is probably a reason that 99% of world class choppers play with pips, but I am not aiming to be world class, so who knows. I know about Telnoy and Joanna Drinkhall, but I feel like they do not play the same style that I want to play. Aida plays like a two-winged looper that also chops, both Telnoy and Drinkhall feel like classic defenders who only attack/loop when they have to.

I have been trying to find a place to buy the blade that Aida uses, the Takashima H3, for a long time now. Actually from before I knew that he used it, but I am even more interested in it now. I might have found someone who can sell it, but we'll have to see.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 07:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

This sound interesting. What rubber would you use on BH for such a game? You have tried SP before right? What made you go back to LP? Have you considered classic anti on BH? Stigas anti could be an option, it is said to be good also for attacking if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 07:35 

I have actually tried everything but double inverted. When I first started out playing defensive, I used long pips first, then anti, then back to long pips. I tried short pips for a couple of months at the end of last year. I switched back mostly because SP didn't allow me to do what I wanted to do, which was counter looping with my backhand. I think inverted would allow me to do that. I actually know of a chopper who plays with inverted on backhand and long pips on forehand. His play style is also another reason I felt like I could make an inverted backhand work. My first thought was to use the rubber that he uses, the Victas VS>401. Probably 1.8 thickness.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 04:14 

Well, the seller I found did not have the blade anymore. I'm back to square one. I found a listing on the japanese version of ebay, but the auction had ended in 2015. There has to be somewhere I can get it.