OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 08:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
TTbuddy wrote:
Surprised to learn about its speed :o despite being marketed as one of the slowest blades. I wait to hear further about it and thanks once again for your initial feedback. Much appreciated :up:

Yes i was surprised myself-i will be using it on thursday so will update futher.
Vladojica wrote:
Tibhar Defense Plus is very very slow blade. Much slower than Toni Hold WS. I have both blades...

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 01:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Attachments:
IMG_0210 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0210 (800x600).jpg [ 198.28 KiB | Viewed 1198 times ]
IMG_0186 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0186 (800x600).jpg [ 242.37 KiB | Viewed 1198 times ]

Last edited by peterpong on 15 Apr 2017, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 17:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

@futher notes re toni hold white spot v grubba pro(same rubbers used on both)
used both blades in practice games.
1-played ch who has a good serve and attacks everything with power.
thws absorbed the power well and control on both wings was excellent,there were no pop ups when blocking and the touch game was good.blade is NOT SLOW in my opinion and is a perfect speed for me.Feels an ALL to ALL-.I really thought the blade would be a snail but it wasnt.throw angle on the blade seems lowish when blocking with the anti.
the grubba pro felt better against ch and blocked better.i also like the thin handle on the pro but many will hate.the handle on the thws is small but nice.
2-played w/h who is strong d/2-thws-won the first game but i turned to the grubba pro for more control and for more confidence in the chopping game.
All in all i prefer the pro for the chopping game and close to the table blocking.
the thws is easily available and very cheap.it absorbs the power of very hard shots and isnt that slow at all.i would try this for a start out defence /all round blade and then try the pro if you can find one.
please note that i used anti on the backhand and very controlled s/p on the f/h.
both of the blades are suitable for anti and i believe that the grubba pro was used by Seemiller at one point.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 18:40 
Super User

Thanks for your further feedback on the THWS. May still give it a go although it is not as slow as expected but still offers good control on blocks and is good at absorbing power.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 20:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

TTbuddy wrote:
Thanks for your further feedback on the THWS. May still give it a go although it is not as slow as expected but still offers good control on blocks and is good at absorbing power.

i think you use 2 all round blades?
THWS -Not much difference in speed but much better at absorbing power.
I used to own a tibhar defence plus but sold it ages ago.this was very slow.i didnt really give it a good try as i didnt like the forehand much due to the rebound.the f/h may be different with thicker rubbers though.you may also like the grubba all plus.very nice feel but a little too fast when someone is hammering hard shots at you and you play close to the table blocking.if you hold the blade very loose you can absorb the power but in the heat of battle you can just stick the white spot out and it does the buisiness.i always check e bay but i never see old white spot blades.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 09:34 
Super User

You are absolutley right as I do use a Stellan Bengtsson Stiga Allround Classic (my no.1 blade - love everything about it) and a Yasaka Sweden Classic (my no.2 blade). I did try and still have a Tibhar COS3 (new version) found it has too much vibrations (bieng only 3 ply I suppose). Will certainly give THWS a go at some point as you say it offers good absorption. I also do look on ebay quite often but never find any old THWS for sale. Thanks once again for all your feedback - appreciated :up:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 17:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
How do you find the Defplay v Grubba Pro?I have both these and find them very similar in play,thin flexy with same top ply.I found I could make more spin with the Defplay both looping and backhand chopping ,slightly better in all areas.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 19:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

TTbuddy wrote:
You are absolutley right as I do use a Stellan Bengtsson Stiga Allround Classic (my no.1 blade - love everything about it) and a Yasaka Sweden Classic (my no.2 blade). I did try and still have a Tibhar COS3 (new version) found it has too much vibrations (bieng only 3 ply I suppose). Will certainly give THWS a go at some point as you say it offers good absorption. I also do look on ebay quite often but never find any old THWS for sale. Thanks once again for all your feedback - appreciated :up:

i think i have tried the old bengtsson.feels very solid with a small thick handle.the guy had sriver rubbers on.felt heavy but very nice.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 19:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dazzler wrote:
How do you find the Defplay v Grubba Pro?I have both these and find them very similar in play,thin flexy with same top ply.I found I could make more spin with the Defplay both looping and backhand chopping ,slightly better in all areas.

i have 2 defplays now-i picked up the senso and the classic.i have not used them but they look and feel like the grubba pro.same flex and similar build quality.i will try them out in the next few months.i always go back to the grubba pro but i had to cut the head size down as i couldnt get used to the forehand.i find it better now.its the same size as the grubba all plus when cut.
Dazzler whats the defplay like for blocking very hard drives or loops close to the table.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 19:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dazzler wrote:
I have used normal slice 40 in 1.2 and 1.5.
1.2 on b/h I found that it bottoms out and hits the wood too soon and I couldn`t make enough underspin.The sponge is soft and the topsheet is delicate and thin with a mild tack.Strangley I could chop better with it on f/h and topspin is possible but really slow
1.5 this is a great backhand rubber,for Tackiness chop users this is a good upgrade(no stalling on serve return),much less spin sensitive same heavy underspin making properties and very good topspin opportunities.I still had problems with it bottoming out on f/hand and it was a nearly rubber for me when I migrated to pips.....
...which leads me to the new Slice 40 CD now with a 1.8 sponge which I am considering at the moment for f/h and would probably end up boosting it if I get it.Due to the high throw and slight kick of the Black Balsa 3.0 that I acquired (higher then Defplay)it`s either that or a thinner sponged Tenergy as I am keen to use the lp on the TSP blade due to the extra bite when chopping

ill have a look through your posts and pm you mate.you have some good points-i need to pick your brains about your f/h experience with rubbers on the defplay.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 20:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dazzler wrote:
Alc is ok for this, Grubba pro is oversized and the closest feel to Defplay however a shaved down Defplay will give More underspin than these, I have tested this with thinner sponged tackiness c
The older versions of Grubba All- weren't oversized (it was called Grubba Variant All-)

ive pinched a few quotes-interesting to me re grubba pro all-

dazzler wrote:
Also not the best for lp attacks,using the same lp`s 388d ox on Defplay compared to Primorac switching between games it was far more dangerous and easier to execute with Primorac trouble is my f/hand went downhill compared to Defplay

i have a primorac up for sale at the moment-i agree about the f/h-the block with s/p didnt feel right to me with it.i was comparing the f/h to a grubba all plus that seemed a lot better in defence.i bought the primorac for next to nothing so i gave it a try with anti and s/p.

Last edited by peterpong on 14 Jan 2017, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 21:14 
Super User

The old bengtsson is what I use. It has very good feel and in my case not heavy at all as I play OX pips and inverted with 1.8 sponge. Though the handle is thick it feels very smooth and comfortable and does not bother or hinder me in any way from twiddling. For me it's a real gem of a blade.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 21:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

TTbuddy wrote:
The old bengtsson is what I use. It has very good feel and in my case not heavy at all as I play OX pips and inverted with 1.8 sponge. Though the handle is thick it feels very smooth and comfortable and does not bother or hinder me in any way from twiddling. For me it's a real gem of a blade.

.i think it felt heavy compared to my light flexible grubba pro-the bengtsson blades often come on e bay for about £70 second hand.
ive seen 2 yasaka sweden classics recently for about £22-the cool thing about tt is that the resale value of blades is usually very good.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 22:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Last edited by peterpong on 15 Apr 2017, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017, 03:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
q.Dazzler whats the defplay like for blocking very hard drives or loops close to the table
a.More dampening than Grubba Pro,with the lp Ican usually land them back on the table
quote:i need to pick your brains about your f/h experience with rubbers on the defplay.
a.Tenergy 05 fx 1.9 :At intermediate level I won a lot of games over 3 years or so with this,works surprisingly well ,I thought it would be too soft but was ok.With this I sometimes thought I`d hit a winning shot but it would come back and catch me out so I put a hard varnish to f/h and it did improve but not significantly,so I just started using regular 05 for a bit more speed but the adventure was cut short when I tried my mates Black Balsa and I noticed a big improvement with the lp so bought one and moved the rubbers onto that,this was last October at the start of the season and even though I don`t like the flex/kick on looping (slightly unpredictable)no defeats yet means no ej ing yet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!