OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 06:25 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
peterpong wrote:
Markus Grothe, OX chopper with D'tecs OX.
Blade: Andro Fibercomp
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Grass d'tecs OX

I am subscribed to him and watched all of his videos already :lol: watched some more than 5 times too :rofl:
His contact is so interesting, sometimes he has a very small swing and even hits the ball close to horizontal. I believe he does the higher balls on purpose because it seems to reverse more and give heavier backspin which is difficult to attack when high.

Here is another interesting watch too: JSH - Tenergy 05 - Dtecs OX

and then there's this too hehe

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 06:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
^cheers-i saw the above vid aswell :Chop:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 10:55 
Super User

[/quote]
i could kick myself.both of the above defplays were on e bay and went for about £13 each.i had them in my watch list but started watching some ****(dont tell the wife).i missed the auction and they went.[/quote]

Better prioritize what you watch peterpong :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 08:17 
Super User

So tonight was pretty good. I done specific tests to see if the JSH with Dtecs reverses more than the VKM. I tested it by blocking/chop blocking, chopping and aggressive chop. I first let my playing partner feel it for himself, then I let it bounce on floor and spin back.
I can honestly say that if there was a difference, we couldn't spot it. It seemed sometimes it would be ever so slightly more with the JSH, but then sometimes the same.

Anyway today I have decided to put my JSH down and stick with the VKM, the FH fishing definitely more dangerous and mid distance counter loop but literally everything else suffered. I would need extensive playing time with it to use it efficiently. I am only now considering the Nittaku Shake Defence, but first will see if I can get some answers from some youtubers.

So after I put down the JSH I played all my matches with the VKM and tonight I got to play a couple of really good players. I comfortably beat the Mathematician Anatol (the guy in my slomo vid) only dropping 1 set out of something like 5 best of 5s. The other 2 players were prem standard players, 1 of which plays in tournaments but I have never met him before tonight. I managed to go fairly even losing a close match.
The other guy is one of the best guys in the club who before having his shoulder injury had 100% win rate in all the local leagues in premier division.This was the first time since 7 months ago he actually wanted to play me. The last time we did I was using inverted and only getting back into it a few months. He destroyed me then, clearly toying with me almost 11-0 me. This time round however, although he did beat me 5 sets in a row they were all close, a couple 10-10. He was taking me seriously from the first set.
(can't imagine if i'm using the JSH he would destroy me lol)

Overall I am very pleased with tonight's session and I can see a future where I am a decent player perhaps playing in prem if not this season then the next.

Things I feel I need to work on first:
1. BH consistency in general (will get this from playing matches more) especially when caught off guard
2. BH pips aggression against backspin
3. FH, FH and more FH. Need to build my confidence because actually I attacked more today and it works out mostly in my favour.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 21:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ndragon wrote:
I am only now considering the Nittaku Shake Defence,

i must admit that i have never seen any old ones for sale on e bay.
do you know if the model has changed over the years at all.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 21:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

TTbuddy wrote:

i could kick myself.both of the above defplays were on e bay and went for about £13 each.i had them in my watch list but started watching some ****(dont tell the wife).i missed the auction and they went.[/quote]

Better prioritize what you watch peterpong :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/quote]
bronzehorse146 always comes first-google it :angel:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 00:15 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
I am only now considering the Nittaku Shake Defence,

i must admit that i have never seen any old ones for sale on e bay.
do you know if the model has changed over the years at all.

According to this video it has. It is heavier

I am not too fussed to get the older one, I will get this one. I did comment and asked a couple of questions, which has allowed me to decide to purchase this blade perhaps on my next payday, or maybe I will wait and see if TT11 has it on sale by the end of today.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 05:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

http://www.noppen-test.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224
very good german site re the NSD blade-use translate ;)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 18:18 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
http://www.noppen-test.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224
very good german site re the NSD blade-use translate ;)

The translator didn't do too good a job lol
But anyway before I purchase the blade I will try my friends once more and hopefully for longer this time with more extensive use.

I played last night and this time I was a little more aggressive with my bumps and boy does it work wonders. I also tried for a whole game to play close to table and chop block, OH MY the reversal is crazy. Had a lot of fun and can see some more diversity coming from my game. I am twiddling sometimes now too.
Slowly Slowly I am seeing small improvements.
If I can keep my BH so consistent so I almost never give free points, get more consistent with the aggressive bumps and get my FH more consistent, twiddle better. Then I can definitely compete with the top guys at the club.
I love this journey so far and am really enjoying the Dtecs and am glad I can confidently say the JSH is too fast for me :lol:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 21:37 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
peterpong wrote:
bronzehorse146 always comes first-google it :angel:

Oh boy... :party:

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 05:19 
Super User

So today I went to that junior masterclass again to be knocking/match partners.
It was exactly 1 month ago I attended and in that time they had a 2 week school break camp. It's crazy how much some of these kids improved!
I know I was better and more consistent and they were keeping up with me most of the time. In matches I actually lost in the 5th 10-10 to a kid I won very easily last time 3-0.

I am grateful I got to play against the same kid though as it allows me to see where I am losing points and how many/how I am giving away free (unforced errors)

I need to really learn to push and bump with the pips as well as getting used to twiddling and pushing with inverted.
I really need to improve my FH, so many free points I give away when my FH is not particularly good on the day.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 07:40 
Super User

Today I got a chance to play against a kid called Sam who is apparently number 1 10 year old in England. I played him before in the masterclass 5 weeks ago. He won 3-2 although granted that was the very day I swapped bats to the Stiga ALL classic with dtecs OX. This time round I won 3-0, all but 1 set clean. His coach on the side telling him he will do a lap if he loses lol. What I noticed making a big difference were 2 things. My FH has been getting better lately and was good today, I attacked when I had the chance and counter looped if it wasn't too strong. As well as my BH just overall being much more consistent the thing that made a big difference was it being better at the short game (service receive, pushing and bumping) and have begun chop blocking at the table at times as well as twiddling and looping with the BH.

I then played against a fairly familiar prem/1 player who'm I have played a few times recently getting closer and closer to winning each time. But this time round I won 3-0. Again the thing to note was my FH being good today. He is a chopper on the BH side with OX LPs like me but he has a flat FH. He rarely makes unforced error but he is generally a passive player. I actually won almost all the time with my FH vs his BH. He noted later on when I was getting changed that he can see I am enjoying this style of play and I am improving quickly.

Hopefully my FH can continue to show up like this as it makes me much more dangerous. Perhaps this is all the training finally kicking in with match play.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 22:29 
Super User

Well well well. This brings me down memory lane. Figured I might update it if anyone is interested as hopefully hopefully HOPEFULLY I can play for good now.

LONG POST with videos incoming....

So basically my knee was messed up in 2012 which I then needed 1 small and 1 BIG operation (ACL repair/reconstruction) to be able to walk properly again and playing TT in 2017/18 forced an early operation (small one) which then meant no TT and a set date for another BIG operation (Meniscal transplant) to join my previous big one. I was told after 1-2 years I could play TT again but not at the same lvl as my 2009-2012 days.

So once my consultant was happy for me to play I did but was convinced I would be playing close/at the table so I first tried double inverted

I had pain, sweelling and stiffness as the game was sometimes too fast for me and I would make sharp movements.

So i fully decided I need to slow the game way down and at the table so put in some money for Frictionless Anti to compare with Long Pips for BH.

As time went on I could feel that the Fanti was going to be the way to go. However my knee was really starting to feel good, better than I expected and I started to take 1/2 steps back, sometimes feeling pain etc but no swelling.....bare in mind I was actually too scared to even try it in practise as if by any chance it happened while playing because I forgot, my knee reminded me lol. But more importantly I didn't enjoy staying at the table (although very effective with Fanti).

So in that last video you see I gave up on the Fanti because it became faulty which is so so bad (bad batch or not) and money is just something I don't have atm. So I decided to stick with what I already have which was Dtecs OX. So I am learning to play with it while at the same time learning my new natural style of play that most importantly have fun playing.

Now I am really starting to enjoy TT again and feel more natural and in this next video is the session I realised my knee can handle the mid distance with 0 pain (fingers crossed)

I will leave you with the same vid except ALL points if ever you want to watch it...

After this I have been dropping back a bit from the very first shot and having a blast. Been practising chopping and service receive and just enjoying TT so much. Knee feels good, better than 2018 by far. I've only just started playing matches again vs others so my service/receive/short game are pretty bad atm. But after having 45mins with a bucket of balls to work on service it got pretty good to the point where now I am able to compete (but not win yet) with the Div1 players and so far haven't lost to any Div2 players.

Here is the latest vid

Thanks for all that followed and commented before and thanks in advance to who starts now. I have a special filming session tomorrow to practice defence vs a 70-80% Div1 player and have the opportunity to settle some of my curiosity with FL2 0.5 and 1.1 along with Vertical 20 OX. Stay tuned!

Also everyone if ever you have vids of yourself plz feel free to post them here so I can learn from them. I much prefer to watch people here etc than pros/elite amatuers as I learn a lot more from us more human players lol, don't worry about your lvl just get some footage out!

My Vlog / Blog

Last edited by Ndragon on 20 Sep 2021, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 00:59 
Super User

Ok, so today's session didn't go as planned....I absolutely sucked. Could not for the life of me adapt to the different blades and rubbers, the timing was a huge problem even in just the warm up.

I don't have the game sense, footwork or technique to use sponge chopping LPs and I am OK with it now after this solid reality check lol. I just couldn't handle Anatols (70-80% Div1 player) loops. We did play it out realistically though where he would play to my body or FH at times so I'm not expecting the ball which would have made it easy to chop and given me a false sense of security.

I will not be touching any sponge or LPs in the future except MAYBE a low friction LP that plays almost identical to Dtecs but slower perhaps. But definitely never messing with the blade. Nittaku Shake Defence is just so nice with OX.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 01:09 
Super User

See this is why if you aren't being coached (or even if you are) it's so so helpful to film yourself no matter how poop you are lol. I was given advice by Fred about my FH loop etc but couldn't figure it out until I watched myself back doing fh drills. Then last night I played and filmed the new fh loop and it went amazing in training. Of course the matches not so much lol. I reverted back to the poopy fh 75% of the time. Funny enough if I fh down the line/bh area I rarely miss but as soon as I go cross court/fh area I rarely get it on :headbang:

Anyway after again watching it all back, analysing etc. This morning played again with Fred and what a difference. He said my FH is good in training and I was actually winning out on our fh to fh loop most of the time. But this time even in the matches I was much more active when the ball came to my fh. So big big improvement for me (small improvement but feels big lol). He still says I'm too timid but it will take time to fix this.

I didn't upload anything coz not sure if anyone would be interested in it tbh as most of it is vs a low div2 player and the difference in the pushing alone is literally night and day and I can not do the same opening fh loops vs a div1 player. I did play a match vs Semi (rank 70 vet, reached 90 something men's, div1 70% player) and I got 1 set while 2 others doing to duece. But the game isn't very friendly to the eyes.

Also to all the people who gave me constructive criticism on here or on the youtube vids, thank you. It helps even if you think it doesn't. Even if I knew it already, always good to hear it pointed out by others too.

Edit: Also forgot to mention another piece of advice given by a few people was to just snap the wrist before contact on any chop and boy oh boy does it make it more controlled and MORE reversal. Dtecs is so damn nice the reversal really does magic for me

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next