OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 00:27 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
dunc wrote:
There's not much you can do about practice partners, short of finding other clubs to travel to. That's the biggest hindrance with my progress for definite. I have other clubs nearby but with work/baby restrictions they're just not accessible for me at the moment.

As for your technique... just gotta keep practising. THIS is what drills are for. Groove your stroke. Try to do some irregular drills where you're out of position too as this will give you much more realistic match-like practice. Only when your body is entirely used to the stroke will you be able to pull it off in the tense environment that is matchplay.

I know and believe me I am more than willing to do drills. It's finding the time to go and practise on the same days as the 2 or 3 possible people willing to do it (sometimes they only want to do top table or play with better people). In this case do you think its better for me to practise with inconsistent or 'worse' players or jump on top table with higher lvl players?

dunc wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
Recently my chops are not spinny most of the time and not low and long enough either which gives free points to opponents. Or i hit the net/miss the table. Perhaps I am not relaxed enough.

This will likely be one of two things: either the incoming ball isn't very spinny (and, as previously discussed, you're not getting enough dwell time to generate your own spin) or you're getting some spin on your chops but you're putting them too high/too short. No matter how much spin you're putting on the ball (and you can only put a *lot* of backspin on a chop if the incoming spin is heavy to begin with), if you put it a couple of feet above the net and only a foot past it, your opponent will be able to slap the ball with very little skill and you'll find it almost impossible to return.

The answer is, don't worry too much about "padding" the ball back - just get it long. Sometimes players overthink chops, and a floaty long chop will encourage them to try to properly loop it as if it were heavy backspin, usually leading to hoying the ball a few metres off the end of the table.

I feel like its all of the above tbh ;(
One thing I just realised I do is that I am always trying to do a 'quality' shot and the reason I highlight that word is that in my head I am thinking it needs to be as spinny as possible. But actually you're right and I should remember this point of yours as I lose sight and get distracted easily and will forget this. So I definitely need to make a note of this on my phone and read it every time I am on the bus going to the club

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 00:33 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Do a mix of both. Definitely do drills, but if they can't put enough spin on the ball, it'll only help you up to a point. Top table is important too if only for the fact that you get to play against better players.

I'm exactly the same - or have been, until lately. Always worrying about how much spin is on the ball, etc. Forget it. Concentrate almost exclusively on firstly keeping the ball on the table and secondly keeping it long.

Consistency, and the ability to deal with any incoming ball, makes you a good player.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 05:28 
Super User

Ok so today I attended one of the Urban Spin weekly masterclass as the coach told me to come along for free to help the kids improve.

Again the FL2 was just not clicking and I wasn't able to stay consistant in the drills. I will note that this time I wasn't worried at all how much spin I was putting on the ball.
I got quite frustrated and at the same time felt bad as it wasn't good practise for the kids. So....I got my Stiga ALL classic out with Dtecs....

Well....we just had the chemistry and instantly I was almost never missing and the partner said my chops had more spin (of course I know this is down to reversal).
It doesn't stop here though because when the point is played out and then when we done matches I was able to put much better pressure to the balls pushed or touched short and my chops were the best I've ever seen them. Low, long, spinny and most importantly consistent.

I am sold. My match play was 2 lvls above too.
Sorry FL2 we will part now.
On Friday I may glue my fresh sheet of the Dtecs OX on my VKM or may just stick with the Stiga ALL classic

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 17:07 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I'll start the timer to see how long you last... ;)

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 17:17 
Super User

dunc wrote:

:rofl:

Also yesterday I managed to beat a Premier Division player in local league. A strong one too. He even said before the match he loves pimples especially long. He trains a lot against them that's why. After losing he did give me credit on my victory. Asked me to come down to another club him and some other prem players come and train at on Friday night's

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 17:33 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people say, "I love playing against pimples" only to then lose :)

Pimples players, like non-pimples players, are widely varied in how they play the game. Some attack, some don't. Some have good serves, some don't. Some are better than others... I will never understand why non-pimples players group us all together and say, "I'm great against pimples".

That's a good win though - and if there's an opportunity to play against other players of a similar calibre, even better. Keep it up.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 18:34 
Super User

dunc wrote:
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people say, "I love playing against pimples" only to then lose :)

Pimples players, like non-pimples players, are widely varied in how they play the game. Some attack, some don't. Some have good serves, some don't. Some are better than others... I will never understand why non-pimples players group us all together and say, "I'm great against pimples".

That's a good win though - and if there's an opportunity to play against other players of a similar calibre, even better. Keep it up.

Even when I played inverted I never grouped them together as each pips play so differently and then people play differently with them. I always knew this and never under estimated them. Actually I always had a stronger win rate against pips coz my BH was really consistent at slower top spin. It was my weapon against pips and it always got mentioned after the games.

Tbh even in my club on the weekends there are a good 5 or 6 prem players a couple with 85-100% win rates. I have played with them before but they all just destroy me. I wasn't confident to continue playing after like 3 tries with them. But after yesterday I feel I can pose a challenge now. Let's see how it goes! :Chop:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 00:24 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Ndragon wrote:
dunc wrote:

Also yesterday I managed to beat a Premier Division player in local league. A strong one too. He even said before the match he loves pimples especially long. He trains a lot against them that's why. After losing he did give me credit on my victory. Asked me to come down to another club him and some other prem players come and train at on Friday night's

:lol: :lol: :lol: Is the D.Tecs on your Stiga All in OX or is it sponged?

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 01:39 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:

OX :rock:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 02:12 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Ndragon wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

I hope you don't mind, but was your FL2 also OX? If not, which do you like better in terms of feel, OX or sponged LP?

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 03:06 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

I hope you don't mind, but was your FL2 also OX? If not, which do you like better in terms of feel, OX or sponged LP?

The FL2 was 1.1 sponge. Tbh I can't say as of yet coz I have tried dawei 388d OX and I really didn't like it much.
But give me 1 or 2 more proper sessions with matches too and I'll give my opinion. Coz I have tried Dtecs with sponge and felt that was nice too so it could be the pips

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 05:48 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Ndragon wrote:
Again the FL2 was just not clicking and I wasn't able to stay consistant in the drills. I will note that this time I wasn't worried at all how much spin I was putting on the ball. I got quite frustrated and at the same time felt bad as it wasn't good practise for the kids. So....I got my Stiga ALL classic out with Dtecs....

Well....we just had the chemistry and instantly I was almost never missing and the partner said my chops had more spin (of course I know this is down to reversal).
It doesn't stop here though because when the point is played out and then when we done matches I was able to put much better pressure to the balls pushed or touched short and my chops were the best I've ever seen them. Low, long, spinny and most importantly consistent.

I am sold. My match play was 2 lvls above too.
Sorry FL2 we will part now.

That's my usual experience with grippy sponged pips like FL2 1.0. This week I tried Feint soft 1.0 couple of times, but result is the same as always: I can't get any benefit using grippy pips, but lose a lot in many spots. :whew:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 17:33 
Super User

Oh I forgot to post this. The new FH. I'm pretty happy with the spin I can get now. Just need to work this in a lot more to make it muscle memory coz in matches I still revert back to my terrible bad habits lol

https://youtu.be/qKOeQh7DnMI

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 20:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Ndragon wrote:
dunc wrote:

good result-i think you should pop along to fridays session-

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 06:33 
Super User

Ok so tonight I played top table and then best of 5s against 4 premier division local league players. 2 of them average. 1 I'm not sure as he plays in a different league and the other guy has a high win rate.

I played mainly with the VKM but did switch and try a few sets with the Stiga ALL classic. Both Dtecs OX. Overall the VKM is better if you want to win instead of have faster FH as it was better in the short game. But honestly I could easily play with both. But I won't touch the Stiga bat again.

It's the best I've ever done. My BH was very consistent and actually became more of a weapon than a weakness. My FH was good WHEN I done the correct technique which unfortunately was not even 50% of the time. I often found when I went for a FH attack I lost way more points than won.

I didn't manage to win a full game but I won quite a few sets and most sets very close, quite often in deuce. Compared to before where I won none and barely got to 6 points. Sorry correction I actually beat 1 of the average players whom I never even came close to before. My attacks were more consistent in that game though.

Gonna play again tomorrow and hopefully record a bit depending on who's there

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next