OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 17:04 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
That's interesting Yuz. You've come through quite a cycing of equipment to arrive at that target. What has made you settle on the Venus, and why are you aiming to use Raystorm? Have you used it before? I believe its very similar to 802-40 anyway.

And why the P700? Do you think its a control issue you are aiming for with it?

There are faster rubbers with as god or better control than Venus I have discovered, now that I have used Venus. This is why I am interested that you have settled on it.

So the medium pimples just didn't fit you, you think?

Ok, here's the lowdown:

P700: Since I'd like something stiffer for the backhand, but like the feel of the soft P500 on the forehand. So, a compromise.

Turns out I can play pretty well with P500 if I stay my forehand as Kees suggested. Really more of a spinny looper I think, so I shouldn't even try to force my stroke to become similar to a hard looper's.

Venus: Pronte just had too high a throw for some of the close table exchanges I'd had recently. So I slapped in both JO Gold and Venus in two different setups (one in the J-1, another in the P500) -- JO Gold is still a bit too fast for me on the slower ALL- J-1, and Venus felt just right in terms of short and mid-distance play.

Had a couple of gentlemen for drills yesterday, was blocking and countering, depending on their request. Venus worked very well for both, unlike Pronte which worked for blocking, but not for counterlooping so close.

Raystorm: I got in in 2.1mm, as Baal suggested way back in the first few pages of the journal. Also suggested by one of the people teaching me SP locally.

Apparently, I go for fast rolls and topspin drives for backhand openers, and start to flat hit then the balls start rising above net height because of the time pressure. Spinny pips work better for me that way.

While medium pips really confused a lot of people, the reversal is just too much for my impulsive backhand. I can hit through loops using short pips, though.

I'm keeping most of my rubbers though (Pronte, custom 802s, JO Gold) and probably a few blades, and might give/sell the rest to those who would like a cheap first setup.

Hopefully a few more kids would like to play pips, as most of the blades here would work well for some classic pip play (most of them in the DEF to ALL+ range). (Un)fortunately, most competitive kids here have Sardius-class blades, so I've probably looking for someone who actually needs some support.

---

Again, when the J-1 was brought out:

Holy sh!t, thick blade!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 23:52 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

OK, so I went back to Pronte. :lol:

Today's hits:

1) Reason for going back Pronte -- I'm perfectly comfortable with it, and it was a forehand stroke problem, not a rubber issue. I was catching the ball at the 2 o' clock position instead of the 1 o' clock position (maybe 12 o' clock?) for a reloop off topspin.

2) A friendly coach (yep, that one who got me working on my forehand) commented that I was shifting my waist height too much -- I should try to maintain a reference height as we were doing a static loop-to-block drill.

The timing I was getting wasn't really late, so why was I crouching like I was getting it 2 o' clock and off-table?

Tried correcting #2 consciously, worked for a little while. Then it dawned on me that my waist height should be linked to the incoming ball bounce and my intended stroke. Duh. :lol: Still difficult to integrate to my system, must be conscious of it next time.

3) My backhand seems a bit better since the last time he saw me. :)
But no reason for jubilation, as a new assignment arrived: he was randomly changing from topspin drives/loops and flat blocks.

He said that I should be conscious of what type of stroke my opponent just used to return the ball against a flat hit -- a loop or a topspin drive nets me another fast flat hit, and when he/she blocks/blocks flat, I should be the one to give a little topspin on the ball.

His reasoning was, it's a given to hit through spin (loop/drive), but given a flat ball return a tad below the net, a flat hit goes to the net. (as demonstrated several times, indeed I found it true)

So, the routine became to be: pickup the ball using topspin, then flat hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 01:02 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

New Year's Resolution:

1) Stick to two similar setups. (Rather difficult. :lol:)
2) Stop drinking colas and other sodas. Soda water is fine, though.
3) Skip rope once every TT-off day, at least a minute to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 05:37 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Yuzuki wrote:
New Year's Resolution:

1) Stick to two similar setups. (Rather difficult. :lol:)
2) Stop drinking colas and other sodas. Soda water is fine, though.
3) Skip rope once every TT-off day, at least a minute to start.

That is great resolution Yuzuki, how is Pronte going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 08:19 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

purger wrote:
That is great resolution Yuzuki, how is Pronte going?

Rather easy-to-use, soft-sponged Globe 999 National. It doesn't feel as firm as National (where I suspect some properties are lost), so the ball feel during the short game is a little lost, and loops don't feel as solid.

Hoping to shore it up once the P700 hits our shores. :lol:

The problems with Pronte would be counterlooping so close to the table as with playing short pips, ugh! You need to generate vicious spin to land balls on the table -- or they will be long by an inch or two. :)

Speaking of, you woke me up, so I should start some skipping rope. :lol:

---

Great, so I went back to JO Gold -- it's really a lot easier to use than Pronte, feels a lot more stable and spins ok for the close table.

Haven't found anything similar to JO Gold yet, so I'll probably stick to it for now...

Just recently experienced Baal's problem with JO Gold -- it really tends to crumble when hit on the table. And that was just from a backhand push...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 15:10 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hmm, I'm having issues about inconsistent backhand technique -- at first I was thinking that it's merely the bat angles; but I can block with SP on the forehand just fine! Weird.

So, I'm currently thinking that I might be doing something wrong with the backhand block/hit/waiting stance -- I think I might be dropping my right elbow (right-handed) a bit too much, so it brings my racket down a little from the ideal.

I'll post pictures, I just need to eat a meal! :)

---

add: Looping with JO Gold definitely needs to use the sponge. Ball just squeaks then falls off if I don't. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 15:49 
HE-LP on land or sea

I never could block well on my backhand side. It was always a counter hit or loop.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 16:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
My BH is my best blocking side. With pips or with inverted! :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 22:36 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

It goes like this: First set is what I currently do, and the second set is something I've just come up with earlier today:

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... 2580#72580

I'm not exactly sure which one is the 'correct' backhand swing, I'm also aware that the video shows a bit longer swing for the latter part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 23:58 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Yep, managed to work out some kinks with blocking consistency, both with inverted and pips.

It really helped that I waited a bit for the ball to rise to it's peak while blocking and relaxing -- quite a bit easier to block and I could block more, even some heavy topspin ones.

To Kees and Andrew, thanks! I'm a bit hard-headed, so hopefully you guys have a little patience in your pockets. :P

---

Won and lost a game tonight -- apparently, people here like targeting my pips side. :lol:

Both matches hinged on the 3rd and 5th ball (4th ball when receiving), oddly enough -- just shows that I have to shore up skills (like Geko) on these departments, especially the pips receives.

They aren't really threatened by the amount of spin I can produce with the pips, and the placement is good, but the ball pace isn't the most spectacular. I have to learn how to attack services with pips so that they don't serve too much on that side...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 00:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Way to go Yuz, now you just need to attack other shots with your pips and they won't know what to do lol. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 00:36 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Way to go Yuz, now you just need to attack other shots with your pips and they won't know what to do lol. :wink:

Funny, when things go right, it's really like that.

Need to work a bit more on the push (need someone willing for that!) off pips for the tight table game when I don't like them opening with a cannon, then maybe a roll (need someone for that, too!) so that when I correctly read the service, I can open up early with a crack!

Well, either that or twiddle for the opening loop then crack! Albeit a lot harder than it sounds, perhaps just for a change-up.

Alas, the ideal training partner...where are you?

Reminders to self:

1) Relax. Most of the backhand inconsistencies arose from this, I think.
2) No more medium pips, it's really a different kind of attacking game.
3) High throw, or low throw inverted, it just takes a little bit of time to adjust to either. Keep a bat with one of each.
4) Having only one service motion at this time is OK -- getting three basic types of services on it is great. Improve placement and need to gain the fast ball type of service in the same pendulum motion. The tip regarding where to spin the ball on the rubber during service works quite well!
5) Work on recovering neutral by doing so in the FH-FH drills, just like in a match.
6) Work on the straight lanes of play instead of the diagonals, they also need a lot of practice and stroke adjustment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 19:20 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Alex's P700 just arrived today -- I've just sanded the wings and sealed it once, quite excited to use it tomorrow, really.

Going to pair it up with Pronte and 802!

Haven't done the comfy handle modification, perhaps after a hit and I'm still not satisfied, I'll have to sand and modify the handle.

---

Had a hit this night, I must say, P700 is definitely an upgrade to P500, yet retains most of the soft characteristic of the P500!

Going to modify the handle, I'd like this to be my main blade! Not to mention I got a forming blister 2cm below the wrist because of the long handle. :?

Tomorrow, I'll transfer the JO Coppa Gold and Raystorm onto the P700; I'm a bit sad to put the modified P500s into disuse. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 20:33 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Really going to have to learn how to hit through backspin using pips...it's raising it's ugly head. :?

Finally bought a replacement sheet for JO Gold -- hopefully this will be a long-term relationship, as I haven't found anything similar to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 17:42 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

:cry: Recently, everyone wants to serve and attack my backhand. I'm not very good at it, so it's a bit hard on my confidence. I seem to be throwing away points to get the right stroke and skills to stick, hopefully the other players don't notice -- or don't mind.

1) Roll against backspin needs a lot of work.
2) The height of 'hittable' backspin needs more work.
3) Service return against right-handed side-under tomahawk service needs tons of work.
4) Above-table strokes needs a lot of work.
5) Might have to get fit a little to improve concentration, or improve it's duration.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next