OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2023, 18:09 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
I tried the MX-S on my forehand to have more speed but it was drama :).
First match I won 3-1 with making lot's off mistakes with the FH. But the guy played with short pips on both sides so I thought that was the problem.
Second match I made so many FH mistakes. I had no feeling with it and lost 3-0 only because my mistakes.

I switched back to the other frame with the FX-S on it and from the start it felt much better.
So done testing now :D.

I did lose match number 3 in 5 sets.
The 4th and last match I won after very good play from my side.

In the end we all won 2 matches and lose 2. After counting sets I was 2nd in the group. The guy with the short pips I won was first.

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2023, 19:30 

After a few evenings with the matches this summer competition is now done.
Halfway thru I asked to put in a higher class as the competition schedule is in and I play 2 levels higher.
I am the lowest in rating from all the players there :D

Yesterday was the last evening. I was in a class with players that already play the level at the new competition.
I won 3 and lost 1. The one I lost was the first off the evening and with a player that uses long pips on his forehand.
I was close but could not win. The other 3 I have won.

The more matches I play the more the tactics take shape. I get used to it more and more.
Still need to get more stable, and if i'm 10-8 up don't try to finish it quick, just play as I have played before.

First weekend from september I have a tournament as a final preparation off the season.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2023, 11:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
GarField000 wrote:
Yesterday was the last evening. I was in a class with players that already play the level at the new competition.
I won 3 and lost 1. The one I lost was the first off the evening and with a player that uses long pips on his forehand.
I was close but could not win. The other 3 I have won.

That's a very promising start! :clap: :clap:

What sort of tactics are you working on? Using the pimple to setup forehand attack?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2023, 23:04 

First is short serve with lots off backspin on their backhand.
75% return short back on BH with backspin so I can attack right away with the long pips.

The goal is attacking. Not only with FH but also backspin balls with the long pips.

I also change things up .... chopblock a topspin ball, they return with backspin and I attack with long pips. The other time I push it back low over the net and they try to return a backspin ball but because the second ball does not have backspin it returns high and I can attack with FH.

I am very good in fast blocks with the FH as well and block forward instead back to FH.

Working on returning fast long balls on the LP during serve .... I practised a banana kind shot back on their forehand with some speed and low over the net. That worked well the players that thought he could just do that. Or I switched the blade and attacked with the normal rubber with BH.

What I am learning more and more is predict where the balls are being returned. This helps a lot for being ready for the shot.
I still need more match experience to be better but that will be a matter off time.
I try to analyse every game afterwards if I should have done something else. I even have a notebook with me where I write these things down.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2023, 23:12 

2 morrow is the warmup tournament for the start off the competion.
Schedule has been released and ........ I'm the number last seed in my class.
We start in poule off 5 players and the numbers and 1 and 2 continue in the draw to Qfinals.

So everyone has a batter rating than I have :D ... So I can just play and have fun and see where it brings me.
Not thinking about prices .... but if I make it to the next round I have done very well.

2be continued.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2023, 02:02 

So i'm back home.
I became 3th in the poule and did not advance.

The one winning the poule I had no change at all. 3.0 loss.
The other one I lost I had changes. Big changes but .... i lost it myself.

1th set I lost 13-11 .. the other guy had 4 net/edge balls.
2nd set I won 14-12. ... close and exciting one.
3th set I won a bit easier ....
4th I lost big time lol ... made to many mistakes.
5th and last one started with 3 net balls for him in the first 4 points. It went to my head. I know it shouldn't ... but it did.
I lost ....... because it started working in my head. He had so many net and edge balls .......

As I was the last in rating I did well. Lost 2 and won the other 2.
I must be better if I want to win more in competition ... but it's a good practise.

In 2 weeks on tuesday I start my first match. I play in to comps. One regulair 3v3 and one with 2v2.
The 2vs 2 is my normal class but I play only if other can't. We are with 4 ... but the first 2 weeks I have to play.
The 3v3 will be 2 classes higher and a much higher level that my rating shows .. i'll be the lowest rating off all players :).
But I can only win ..... a match or experience ..... I do want to win 1 out off 3 but it will be a hard goal.

We will see :).

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2023, 18:23 

I'm only going to talk about my regulair competition, as this one is my main focus and a higer level.

At the moment my rating is around 1100. I am by far the lowest rated player in this group. The next one above me is 1174, than 1181 and the rest is 1230 and higher. The highest is 1465.

So in my head I can just play and have fun and every win is a win.

The first match off the eveing I didn't play very well, but not very good as well. The opponent had long pips with sponge on the FH.
It was a good match. A bit to greedy with attacks ... I should wait a bit more for open shots and not start attacking on every FH ball.
I lost 11-9, 11-9 and 12-10. (after the night he was the highest rating of that team with 1414 and that teams teamrating is highest off the poule/group.

Second match was very weird. Up and down .... I won the first with 11-7 and lost the second with 11-13. The 3th game was bad and weird. I lost 4-11 with strange balls and rallies. After that it went better and he started playing agains himself. Making mistakes he didn't like and I won 11-3 and 11-6. My first matchwin in this high class. He was rating 1302.

The 3th and last match was very exciting. I had to focus good. The attacks where very fast and hard and I could not chopblock. So I just tried to keep the ball on the tables and attack with FH there where I could, and when he attacked to FH good placement in return so he could not attack again without moving.
I lost the first 4-11, won the second with 11-2 and thought I had the tactics. But than I lost the 3th again with 6-11. But in the end I won the last to games with 11-4 and 11-3.
My second win of the evening. His rating was 1355.

I played very good. I did well on tactics. Good placement. I kept my cool. Rating is now 1176. I'm not last in rating anymore. the 1174 rating lost 3 matches and dropped to 1165.

Next week I have to play twice again.

In my 'normal' level I won both matches. One was exciting because he played with LP as well. LP vs LP is a bit weird :D.

They say I have a LP player in the higher classes next week. A chopper. Realy have no idea how to play that with my LP.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2023, 01:23 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
GarField000 wrote:
I'm only going to talk about my regulair competition, as this one is my main focus and a higer level.

At the moment my rating is around 1100. I am by far the lowest rated player in this group. The next one above me is 1174, than 1181 and the rest is 1230 and higher. The highest is 1465.

So in my head I can just play and have fun and every win is a win.

The first match off the eveing I didn't play very well, but not very good as well. The opponent had long pips with sponge on the FH.
It was a good match. A bit to greedy with attacks ... I should wait a bit more for open shots and not start attacking on every FH ball.
I lost 11-9, 11-9 and 12-10. (after the night he was the highest rating of that team with 1414 and that teams teamrating is highest off the poule/group.

Second match was very weird. Up and down .... I won the first with 11-7 and lost the second with 11-13. The 3th game was bad and weird. I lost 4-11 with strange balls and rallies. After that it went better and he started playing agains himself. Making mistakes he didn't like and I won 11-3 and 11-6. My first matchwin in this high class. He was rating 1302.

The 3th and last match was very exciting. I had to focus good. The attacks where very fast and hard and I could not chopblock. So I just tried to keep the ball on the tables and attack with FH there where I could, and when he attacked to FH good placement in return so he could not attack again without moving.
I lost the first 4-11, won the second with 11-2 and thought I had the tactics. But than I lost the 3th again with 6-11. But in the end I won the last to games with 11-4 and 11-3.
My second win of the evening. His rating was 1355.

I played very good. I did well on tactics. Good placement. I kept my cool. Rating is now 1176. I'm not last in rating anymore. the 1174 rating lost 3 matches and dropped to 1165.

Next week I have to play twice again.

In my 'normal' level I won both matches. One was exciting because he played with LP as well. LP vs LP is a bit weird :D.

They say I have a LP player in the higher classes next week. A chopper. Realy have no idea how to play that with my LP.

Choppers don't like that you keep giving them empty or very low spin balls with your pips. If you occasionally throw in a strong attack against one of their weaker returns, it'll go even better.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2023, 20:47 

Friday was the second evening in the high class level.
I started ok ...... Didn't play very well. FH wasn't as good as it should be. I did win in 4 sets.

The second match was a new player who was just in my country for 5 days :).
He didn't have a rating yet ..... He we will get a rating after a few matches.
my team mate had an easy win in 3 sets. He made to many mistakes and was not good in returning spinballs.

As i'm not a good spinner I first looked how it goes in my own game/play.
I won the first set in 11-9, and lost the second in 7-11 .... I made more and more mistakes on my forehand.
He had problems with my pips so he played more and more to my forehand and I missed more and more.
I won the 3th in 14-12 and lost the 4th in 11-9.
I got frustrated ....... and made even more errors. Lost the match with 11-2 in the 5th set.

The 4th player was very good (+220 rating). He won his other 2 matches. He plays smart. As I still made many FH mistakes I didn't had a real chance.
Lost the fisrt in 15-13, lost the second in 11-8 and won the 3th in 8-11. but the errors where still there and lost the 4th and the match.
I could have played much better and the match should have been much closer. Still don't think I could have won, but it should have been a closer fight.

I ended the evening frustrated. Not because we lost 7-3, but because I played bad. I can take a loss no problem. When I play good and he is better i'm still a happy chap.
But playing bad get's my blood boiling .....

Total 3 wins out 6 matches, 50%. Still higher as expected.

Now 3 days further I can put it behind me. Tried to analise why the FH was so bad ..... but no clue.
Tonight another match in the lower level competion. After 2 times a 5-0 win we have an even lower level opponent.
That's the danger to get the motivation running ..... but i'll watch some Manika Batra matches to get excited to play.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2023, 19:53 

Last tuesday I won my matches easy in the lower level. I asked not to play anymore and have others play.
They agreed ... I only play if it is needed.

Yesterday was 3th round in the regulair season/class.

First match I just was not on top off it. Not sure why. He made mistakes but I made more.
Second match everything was different and all went very good. He didn't stand a change. 11-4, 11-4 and 11-7

3th match was again very good but he was much better. I won the first set but he came in play more and more with his forehand attacks. Very nice to see.
I played well but he was better and I lost in 4 set.

After the evening we talked a bit and they say that my style is unique and very hard.
So this gives me more convidence that i'm going the correct direction.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024, 22:34 

Long time no update ... again. Sorry for that.

After playing longer with the setup it gets better and better.
After I won everything in the lower level I stoped playing there. It was no fun for everybody.

In the higher level i ended with only 5 wins in 18 matches. But I have to get used to the level.
This 'season' I play in the regulair competition in this high level again (high for me).

I also started a team with 2 other players from this team into the other competiton. 2v2. So 2 singels and a double. Total 5 matches in one evening ... both players play 2 matches and the double. We call it duo .. google translate gives me duo in return :D. duet? ....

Regulair:
First evening matches where not good. I could not hit my blade very well. Maybe lighting or the floor. Dunno. I completly missed the ball, or hit the edge of the racket ..... it looked like I was drunk. The first match in the evening was till ok .. had a great match but the other 2 where bad. I lost all 3 matches.
Second evening whas against a high level team. Probarbly the champion after the season. I won one (player 205 rating higher), had a great second match but lost it (100 rating higher), and did lose BIG time my 3th match (300+ points higher than me). Just because he was much much better than me, not because I played bad.

But after these very good players I noticed I had some problems with the high speed spins on my pips. Talked with Sebastian Sauer and he recommended the Hellfire X. So I bought that one.
Played my 3th evening yesterday and it was much better to control. Allthough it where nog hard spinners (flanti, longpips, penholder) it felt better to control. Even when i'm pushed more behind the table I could return it on the table which was hard with the D.tecs. Also attacking was good enough ... not as fast but that also is how I am used to the faster d.tecs. I still need some more play with it but I think i'll be sticking with that. I won 2 off the 3 matches yesterday. Flanti was a bit off a weird match and had to get used to his play. He used it on his FH. AFter 11-2 losing the first set I won the second with 0-11 ??? Weird. But I won the match (125 rating higher). Second match versus the LP player was very weird. With no sponge he was hitting like he had 1mm between it. Curl P4. But it was very risky but he had a good evening (he won all his 3 matches). Was a very exciting and great match but I lost (90 rating higher than me). Last match was versus a penholder. But he used his backhand. This match I had under control and won (50 rating lower than me). My team mates both won one and the double. So endscore 5-5.

I'm now 3 out off 9. 33%. It looks bad but I feel good about it. Next match I play is again versus the very good team. Hope to win atleast one.
As we are with 5 in a team with a smaller poule to play I can only play 4 evenings.

DUO/duet.
Here the opponents are just a bit lower in rating. from 50 rating lower to 150 rating higher.
I'm doing much better there. 5 out off 6 now. I play 9 from 10 evening here so a few more to go :).

This season my rating is +70 now. I was aiming for 75 so it's going better as planned.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2024, 06:08 

Allthough it went beter and better controlling the long pips was hard with the Carbon frame.
At the club someone had the Stiga Cybershape and played a bit with it. Not the carbon version, but the Wood one.
The balance was much better as I expected. I thought it would be head heavy as many say ... but it's absolute not the case.
So I ordered one with the Hellfire X long pips, and the just a little faster FH rubber Tibhar Evolution FX-D (instead FX-S).

When i played it, I had a great feeling. Balance and control is great. I can feel where I hit the blade so where to make changes.
Last week I did 5 matches and played my best matches since playing long pips. Friday I had a match versus a 1500 rating players ( i am at 1175) and it was an amazing match.
I lost which is not a real surprise, but I played amazing. Played versus a 1325 player after that and after an exciting match I won that one.

I feel I have much more control, also with attacking with the long pips.

Let's see how it goes. Almost time for the national championships for 50+

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 01:31 

After playing some matches with the cybershape wood and hellfire X I'm a bit in a split.
Not about the frame, that is amazing and it feels very, very good and in balance.

But with the long pips.
I have the feeling the D.tecs are much better in spin reversal and giving crazy balls back.
But the Hellfire has much more control, special on this frame. But it feels like it's less dangerous ....
o what to do ......

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 02:28 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
At an 1175 level, control and consistency is more important then spin reversal and weird balls. Trouble maker by Dr N is a good entry level all round long pimple for players beginning their long pip journey. Give it a try

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 21:22 

Rob M wrote:
At an 1175 level, control and consistency is more important then spin reversal and weird balls. Trouble maker by Dr N is a good entry level all round long pimple for players beginning their long pip journey. Give it a try

At the moment i'm at 1250 level here. US is 300 points more or something? Not sure how it compares.

I tried many already and played a lot with D.tecs. It's good but with the fibre frame I was using it was very fast and harder to control than the Hellfire X. Now I have a bit slower frame without fibre the Hellfire X seems a bit to slow. Or I have to change my strike :D. So just wondering what to to ...
After testen many i am not looking to others anymore as it takes a lot off time and money to compare them ...