OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 167  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 19:23 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hullo, finally got the courage to introduce myself. :shock:

I'm Kit and of 23 years of age. I fancy myself as a two wing looper, but I'll ask for another's honest opinion. :lol:

I played with premade bats during my high school years, then had to replace the premade rubber with some DHS PF4 and H3, which was my first experience with thicker rubber sheets. From there, improved my game a bit, then switched to playing Energy Wood WRB, Tackifire Special Soft and Sriver during my college years.

...then I got addicted to speed and switched to Clipper CR WRB, Almana and Almana Soft a little before graduating college.

I've played in team events at the school tournament, eventually winning the school tourney in my last year.

I have just received a gift from a Chinese acquiantance, a DHS 4* bat with G888 and C8 rubbersheets. I found out that playing inverted strokes just doesn't cut it. :? Makes me wonder just pips players do it...

8/6/07: Just recently got interested in Chinese rubber sheets again after a while; I'm now using a Primorac Carbon with Globe 999 National rubbers on it. I'm looking into using Hurricane 2 and 3 for my Clipper CR WRB blade.

8/20/07: I really should pump weights, or change to lighter rubbers. :lol:

Last edited by Yuzuki on 20 Aug 2007, 10:43, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 19:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great to have you aboard Yuzuki!

Having to replace you rubbers after a few weeks sounds a little quick, unless you really play a lot.

Yes playing with C8 would certainly require different strokes, and you've come to the right place to learn about it. It's really good that you're having a go with this, to find out what long pimples are all about. Even if you decide that they're not for you, you'll learn a lot about how they work, and how to play against them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 20:53 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

haggisv wrote:
Having to replace you rubbers after a few weeks sounds a little quick, unless you really play a lot.

Yes playing with C8 would certainly require different strokes, and you've come to the right place to learn about it. It's really good that you're having a go with this, to find out what long pimples are all about. Even if you decide that they're not for you, you'll learn a lot about how they work, and how to play against them...

Ah, the rubber sheets are about in their early life, I got them March this year. I do suppose they are too young for retirement. I'm planning on trying out a pair or two of Chinese rubber sheets (H2 and/or Globe 999 Nat), to see which would give me a slightly spinnier but similar setup. I don't think I'm able to use the top gears of the Almana sheets with the amount of spin I'm making...

Yes, I intend on learning strokes of the reduced friction kind, ever since the first time I saw my moderately spinny loop being punch blocked so aggressively with Tibhar Speedy Soft short pips (got smoked).

I'm glad there is a forum which teaches the Dark Side :lol: -- I think, if ever I get tapped to coach, having a wide array of abilities and broad knowledge of the sport would help me develop into a better teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 04:22 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Hello all! I've been lurking here for a month or two now, and thought it was time to add to the discussion. I LOVE that this is a place where players with pips can come and discuss equipment and strategy, and not be considered an outcast.

I live in the U.S., have been playing tournaments for about 10 years now. I'm probably what would be considered an intermediate level player here, my rating's gone up and down over the years, but the best thing I did was when I first made the switch to pips almost 3 years ago. I still played inverted on my forehand and short pips on the backhand for about 2 1/2 years, until I thought I'd really go all the way to the dark side and give long pips a try.

My intention was to go with inverted on one side and long pips on the backhand. But, just out of curiosity, I tried short pips on my forehand (since my loop wasn't that powerful or consistent) and long on the backhand. To my surprise, that combination really worked well for me, and that's what I've been using for about 3 months now. And I can already tell that the level of my play is improving, especially now that I've switched from long pips with a little sponge to long pips OX, for maximum pips effect. I can still hit well with them, in addition to learning the subtle effects of chop/blocks close to the table and chopping from further away. I enjoy hitting with the forehand, but can still generate a bit of spin with a forehand loop motion.

I play and practice with mjenders sometimes, we've really helped each other to get a lot better and keep improving. I appreciate all of the good information on this site, and the insights that everyone gives!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 07:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Welcome to the forum dwruck! With long pips AND short pips you should well and truly feel at home here! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 11:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I sure do! I just love going to the tournaments around here and getting all the funny looks from people. It's like they've already heard about me from someone else, like i'm some sort of freak show that they don't believe is true. I guess putting the pips in someone's mind before the match even starts, or before they've even met me, is a mental point in my favor already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 18:32 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

dwruck wrote:
I sure do! I just love going to the tournaments around here and getting all the funny looks from people. It's like they've already heard about me from someone else, like i'm some sort of freak show that they don't believe is true. I guess putting the pips in someone's mind before the match even starts, or before they've even met me, is a mental point in my favor already!

In my case, I want to find out the reason behind those funny looks. :twisted:

Glad to hear that someone has some equipment working for them well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 21:50 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

It's like they can't understand how I could possibly play with that combination. It's actually pretty funny. They usually just look at my blade and the rubbers and just laugh and shake their head. Then, after I win, I hear a little grumbling, but not too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 03:39 

where are you from, country and club, where you play
I play in San Francisco, CA USA

- how long you've been playing (how old? )
I have been playing since my early 20's and I am now 59. I started when I was a recreation director when I was going to college. A guy from the San Francisco TT club would stop by my playground on his way home from work and destroy everyone with his Mark V penhold bat. I was the only one to continue to play him with my playground hardbat. Eventually, he started to teach me so he could have someone to practice with. I have been playing ever since. I play 3x each week and wish I could play more but I have found that I need the recovery days.

- playing style
Over the years, I have played every style you can imagine from hardbat to two winged looper both shakehand and penholder (and of course Seemiller).
My most successfull style was also one of the strangest...fast thick balsa core bat with Yasaka SuperAnti 1.5 FH and 1.0 Juic 999 Def BH.
I used the spinny 999 to BH serve and quick attack or establish a heavy pushing game over the table mixing in spin reversing FH pushes, FH flat hits and snapping BH attacks - maybe I should go back to this style?? It sounds pretty good.

Currently, I am playing with 729 Cream MRS 1.5 FH (good control for my shaky forehand) and Magic Monkey long pips BH - easy to change speed and spin with good control for placement.

- level
I would consider myself an intermediate player; old and slow; weak or non-existent footwork; backhand ready instead of being in a neutral position but with a really good BH.

- job or what you do outside TT
I have been in law enforcement for the past 28 years; looking for forward to retirement next year.

- other hobbies
changing the rubber on my bats

- how you stumbled upon this forum
took a wrong turn; couldn't find my way back.

I feel really lucky to be playing TT in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are 8 clubs within 30 minutes travel from my house. There is one club within walking distance. There are a lot of good players and good facilities and very reasonable prices ($4 - $8 day with better monthly plans) as well as several (5 or 6) recreation centers where you can play really good players - for free - 7 days a week.

I like this forum because it seems to be a forum for TT outcasts who don't want to play like everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 08:44 

I got it from ZeroPong.com

It is not Frictionless.
It suits my usual countering BH stroke.

From the ZeroPong website...

ONE SHEET of Miracle "Magic Monkey" long pips Table Tennis/Ping Pong Rubber with Sponge. Available in Black or Red.

Long Pips Out
Strange effect
Block and Chop
Effortless service return
Smooth top pips
ITTF approved
Specifications:

Speed: 6
Spin: 5
Control: 8
Deception: 7
Sponge: Special .8mm

Miracle "Magic Monkey" long pips made for aggressive long pip play. Good transition from chop to flat hit, this product falls well within the ITTF acceptable standards for friction testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 09:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Great to have you along johnfrani!

Thanks for the blurb from zeropong, does the description sound accurate? Quick before speedplay is forced to buy one :lol:

Post subject: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 18:24 

Hi,
My name is Ian and i live in England and i am 43 years old. I have been playing for about twenty years. I play with reverse rubber on my forehand and long pimples on my backhand. I play a chopping game with the long pimples and an allround game on my forehand.

I play in our local league and our local tournaments. I am Secretary of our League and i also run a website for the league.

Outside of table tennis i am interested in most sports and movies.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 18:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Welcome to the forum Ian!

Great to have another long pimple player here, please don't hesiate to take part in some the discussion.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007, 02:09 

haggisv wrote:
Thanks for the blurb from zeropong, does the description sound accurate? Quick before speedplay is forced to buy one :lol:

ZeroPong says Magic Monkey LP has:
Speed: 6 Spin: 5 Control: 8 Deception: 7

This rubber has much more control (for me) than .5mm 755 . And it has slightly less deception so I would rate Deception (reversal, sink) at 5.

I agree with the other ratings for speed, spin and control.

It is very easy to attack with - for my strokes.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007, 07:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks johnfrani.

Sounds like a good controllable grippy long pip...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 167  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!