OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 22:45 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hi to all...haven't been forumming much of late...so I thought I'd do a quick update here of what's been happening in my TT career.

Our TT centre was closed down about 4 weeks ago just as the new season was to begin. Apparently there was some danger of the ceiling caving in...so council who owns the building shut us down. After weeks of inspections and council meetings, all they did was re-fix all the ceiling tiles to their frame...and we re-opened this week. So I had a 4 week TT break...although I played 2 Vets tourneys in that time.

So our new season is now a shorter one, just as my team made it to A2 Seniors on a Monday night for the first time ever. We will most likely be demoted back to A3 next season as the level in A2 seniors is far stronger. I played on Monday and did manage to win one of my matches against one of the guys from the premiership team of last season - who only had one member go to A1 (cos he had won 100% for the season). The other 2 guys declined to rise. So I was pretty chuffed by a 3-2 win against him. My team however lost 9-2 to the team.

I'm back in A2 on a Thursday night after 2 seasons in A1. My partner has departed tabletennis in favour of building his family a new house. So I have a new partner...and we won 3-2 tonight. A little disappointing as I lost a match 11-9 in the 7th that I should have won, but thats TT for ya!

Anyway, I hope all are keeping well and feel free to drop me a line in here.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 22:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, 11-9 in the 7th! :o :o :o None of our competitions even play to 7...

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 01:45 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Ok, so you thought the Reb Report had died...well you're probably not far from wrong...but here's a few last gasps of life at least LOL.

Last season my A3 Monday team made the final only to lose to a team with a ring-in who they'd qualified for the final by playing us twice during the season and one other time. He won all his matches in the final and carried them to victory. My team broke up at the end of the season without malice. Just guys heading in different directions. Anyway, it left me putting in a single-entry for A3, but with no spots available I got demoted to A4. At least they gave me some decent teammates ;)

Its interesting playing A4 again after so many seasons in A3 and even one in A2. We played round 4 tonight and I am yet to lose a match (singles or doubles). So I have won 12 singles and tonight was even the first night I dropped any sets. So I guess the strength of play I've built in the higher grades is having its impact. Fortunately my teammates are supporting me as well and we have had 3 x 10-1 wins and an 8-3 in the first week. So I'm trying to ensure I hold my 100% record for the season, and the team streets the final to go back to A3 before my game starts to tarnish and I start actually playing A4 standard again lol.

On Thursday nights, after 2 seasons on making and losing the A2 final with the same teammate...he had to leave for work reasons and I now have a new partner. The new partner is the same strength as me pretty much, so we're both "middle of the grade" players. We've won 2 and lost 1 so far, by virtue of us both winning 1 singles each night, and then having the doubles as the decider. We've lost 1/3 doubles :lol: The first week was our loss and we came up against some brand new payers to the club who were an unknown quantity. They were 2 kids from Nepal, who'd only been in Australia for 2 weeks!!

Turns out these kids have played as Nepal National Juniors. One of them was so strong, someone commented he could play our Monday night A1. And I had this kid 3-0 in our best of 7 when he suddenly gained traction and nailed FH and BH drives and loops all over the place and won it 4-3. He took my partner out 4-2 as well. We both beat the other kid and lost the doubles to them as I said. But to our credit the 2 weeks since then we have taken down a couple of pretty strong teams...and hopefully we can keep that trend going.

Anyway, don't know whehn the next Reb Report will be, but I figured I'd just write this little update for anyone who's interested. 8)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 02:25 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Thanks for the update Reb, I like reading your blog :)

Any changes to your game/gameplan?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 06:04 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

keep the posting up, It may also help your game writing about it

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 06:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds like your year in the higher grade really booster you! :up: :up: :up: Sometimes you need to drop back down to realise how much you've improved. :lol:

Good to see you back posting to your blog Reb! :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 15:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
Sounds like your year in the higher grade really booster you! :up: :up: :up: Sometimes you need to drop back down to realise how much you've improved. :lol:

Good to see you back posting to your blog Reb! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Actually I think its closer to 2 years I'd been up in A3 (with one season in A2)...you made me go check my medals lol...we won the A4 premiership in Summer 2013 (1st season)...so I went up to A3 in Autumn 2013 (had previously had one season in 2012 in A3 too). So now its Summer 2015...so has been just a season shy of 2 full years. And then during that time I also had 2 seasons in A1 on the Thursday night as well. So I suppose its little wonder I should be killing A4 Seniors :lol:

Funnily enough when I came back to A3 after a season in A2 (on Mondays) and when I came back to A2 after 2 seasons in A1 (on Thursdays) I didn't kill it either times. Yet in 2012 when I came back to A4 from one season in A3 (Mondays), I won A4 leading player. I think this tends to suggest the skill dropoff from A3 to A4 is quite significant. I know the skill dropoff from A2 to A3 is even greater, but I don't think I had enough time in A2 to really raise my game above the A3 standard.

rodderz wrote:
keep the posting up, It may also help your game writing about it

Yeah, who knows...I might have to give it a try and see :P :P :lol:

dunc wrote:
Thanks for the update Reb, I like reading your blog :)

Any changes to your game/gameplan?

Thanks Dunc. I don't think there have been any major changes. I know I try to attack more with the pips given opponents try to keep me pinned to them and only go to my FH when they see a wide gap or if I've given them a pop-up. I think these days when I do get a FH smash opportunity I'm much more likely to go down their BH side with it simply because most people don't block as well from the BH side, or expect smashes there as much.

The first guy I played last night was someone I used to lose to more than I'd win. I beat him 3-0 last night. I hit about 6 smashes on him in total from memory. 2 or 3 into his body and 3 or 4 past his BH. He commented I moved him around with angles so much I forced him to play my game. And its true, I moved him with angles a lot simply trying to make him misjudge a chop (which is 80% of his shots FH or BH) by having to reach for it. And that worked pretty well :up:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 19:20 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Do you find players in this lower division utilise tactics like "pinning into backhand" more often than the division you were previously playing in? That's definitely my experience of the league. 90% of players in Division 2 just pushed into my backhand relentlessly. Not a single player has done that in my current division, though the slow-roll is becoming fairly prevalent... :)

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 22:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

dunc wrote:
Do you find players in this lower division utilise tactics like "pinning into backhand" more often than the division you were previously playing in? That's definitely my experience of the league. 90% of players in Division 2 just pushed into my backhand relentlessly. Not a single player has done that in my current division, though the slow-roll is becoming fairly prevalent... :)

In A3, there are players who still feel they need to pin the BH, but there are also some who are confident enough in their abilities, and less fearful of my FH (or at least of setting it up) that it becomes less of an issue. In A2 it becomes more across the board that this holds true.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 14:46 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I just found that Arlene is writing a blog! Given her "prolific" posting here, I guess I should keep mine going some more (yep, she's guilted me into it :lol: ).

So an update...

Last night was round 5 and half way point of the season. So this was the last team that'd we'd yet to play. And in it was an old nemesis that has given me some real troubles in the past. He plays Anti on the BH and hits a mid-pace drive with it that can be difficult to lift, but moreso he gets angles with it that make the pace feel a LOT faster. So I thought my unbeaten run may end with him.

One of our players couldn't make it last night, so I called on my old teamy R to play. R isn't playing Mondays for the 1st time in ages this season. Instead he is playing Thursdays. I wasn't sure he'd even play as I heard him knock back someone else's request to fill in 2 weeks ago. But he graciously did me the favour with the simple request to be the first player finished for the night in our team, which was no problem. Turned out the opposition team was missing a player and had no fill in due to their poor communication. So R got to go home nice and early as we only had 7 matches to play instead of 11.

The result for the night was another resounding 10-1 victory to us. Wait! We lost 1? Who lost? Was it me, I hear you say? Did the old Anti player again get the better of me and break my 100% record for the season?

No, he did not :P :lol: Actually I beat him 3-0 and quite easily. But he did beat my young looper teamy, G. G should have had him on toast also, but he got careless and faulted too many serves and lost 11-9 in the 5th to him. R won his 2, with G and I cleaning up the only doubles.

So I remain unbeaten with 15 singles wins from 15 matches with 15 to go. I'd love to think I can beat everyone again that I've already beaten this season for a clean sweep, but I'm too weary that things rarely go so smoothly in TT. Especially when its the 2nd time someone has played you within a month or so. So we will have to wait and see...

On the Thursday scene, my partner and I have now won 3 rounds from 4 with a difficult one coming up this week due to the fact one of the players is out injured and has a good mate of mine who plays (read: seasoned in) A2 on Mondays. On his worst day I have trouble taking a set off him and I doubt my partner will beat him either. Which means we'll need to beat the other guy and win the doubles if we are to carry our win streak any further. Another wait and see affair lol.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 01:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Another Monday nights passes with another chance to lose my 100% rating for the season (it was round 6 tonight). In fact tonight I played an old nemesis who beat me twice in the last A3 season he and I both played (I think 2 seasons ago). So I was a little on edge that he would be the one to topple me. But thankfully, he didn't. I won 3-0 against him. A bit surprising seeing as the last 4 times we've played the matches all went to 5 sets, with us both winning 2 of those each. I didn't play him in round 1 of this season as its a 4 man team and he was sitting out. So he was the only player I'd yet to play and beat for the season.

After stepping past the nemesis I was then also concerned one of his teammates who loops and re-loops of my pips quite well might be up to the task tonight. I beat him 3-0 in round 1. I did it again tonight.

So that only left one more player to get through and I'd beaten him 3-0 in the first round. I took the first set, but the 2nd set looked like being his as I squandered points letting him get out to a 10-5 lead. I wasn't keen on dropping a set so I decided to see if this guy'd hold his nerve if I could push the points back my way a bit. 10-6, 10-7...10-9. I felt good and focussed and as I hit Deuce I felt like a steam-train...and I ran him down and kept rolling to 12-10. Tokk the 3rd set more easily and had all my singles tied up for the night and no sets lost.

So I'm now 18 wins from 18 matches and still only 3 sets lost for the season. So that's 54 sets won, 3 sets lost.

Incidentally, I also have 100% record for the doubles this season. I've played every doubles, which we said we'd do until I lost one :lol: (We're not counting sets lost in this one lol). Hasn't happened, so the steam-train keeps rolling.

I have to say I am enjoying this, although I feel like a marked man and the guy everyone now wants to beat :P But I'll keep pushing this unbeaten run as far as I can....it is a lot of FUN!

Oh, I almost forgot...my team had its first 11-0 victory of the season tonight too. So that was rather satisfying as well. Especially considering we'd had our worst victory (of the season) with 8-3 against this team in the 1st round.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 00:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Another night of 3 singles and 2 doubles wins for me taking my tally to 21 singles wins from 21 matches. No sets dropped tonight either, so still just 3 sets dropped for the season. Team won 10-1 tonight. Our 3rd player - the retriever - lost a match to the same guy he lost to last time, cos the guy just pushed consistently to him. I played this guy first up tonight and as he walked off the court losing 6,5,7 he said "I'd beat you if you didn't have that racket!" :lol:

Monday nights play is getting kinda boring actually |-) (Although there are a couple of players in the road ahead who may take the game up to me).

Can't wait to get through this season, win the final, and get back to the challenge of A3.

Thursday nights is much better. I'm winning a few and losing a few there :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 00:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well I can hardly let tonight's results go by without adding them to my "report".

Tonight wasn't usual competition, it was instead our Club Championships. Whilst the entry numbers into this event are not always as high as such an event should demand/warrant, for the people who do enter - they can only compete with others that have entered. (ie. you can only play the people put in front of you.)

Now given my 100% record in my grade this season, I figured I was a fair chance to knock off the championship medal for my grade's singles. It would probably only be one of my teammates that could knock me off, seeings as I've beaten all other comers this season, unless I met with someone who had a better night than when I've played them or I had a bad night. Well no teammates entered, but one of the guy's who took a set off me this season (out of the 3 sets I've lost) did enter. In fact there was only 3 entries, and the other guy was one who has often given me a hard time in the past. I played this guy first. I beat him 11-5 in the first set, but then he took me to deuce in the next 2 sets, but I prevailed to win. Then I played Najay (of this forum) and I expected quite a difficult match - which it was. Najay had also beaten the other player, so our match was in effect, the final. This time Najay didn't manage to get a set from me, although the middle set did go to deuce and it was tough getting over him in all sets. So I nabbed the medal for the singles.

Earlier I'd teamed up with Najay in doubles and we took on the other guy who'd played in our "round robin" who teamed up with a player from the grade below, who undoubtedly could play A4. They took a set from us in the stoush and almost got 2 when we beat them 14-12 in the 4th set. So I ended up with 2 medals for the night....not a bad night's work. ;)

Attachments:
Snap_2015.03.10 01.40.17_003.png
Snap_2015.03.10 01.40.17_003.png [ 214.08 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 07:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Not bad at all for a single night's work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 23:11 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

In a follow up to my last posting, tonight we played the Master's competition club championships.

Compared to the competition on Monday night, tonight's made Monday looks like kiddyland. This was the A2 championship tonight. Most of the players were from Mondays A2 and A3, a couple don't play Mondays. I was the only Monday A4 player in it. In the doubles I played with my usual Thursday night partner, P.

The doubles were played first and P and I were up against a reasonably tough pair, who were also usual Thursday night partners. We managed to prevail over them despite quite a few ruffled feathers as one of them kept serving "wrong paddock" faults and refusing to acknowledge the error. Without an umpire we accepted "let" calls and they got to re-serve instead of losing the point. We won it in 5 tough sets still. We had kicked off in the 2nd round of the draw, so this win automatically saw us in the final.

As I waited for our final opponents to be known, I watched the match which would decide this. It was the usual pair from the top team battling against a pair who play often together in Vets tournaments (one of whom is my mate, Sahmaniac, from this forum and the other a good mate who plays Monday A2). When I saw these 2 pair together I figured they would bag up the medal already, and watching the match all the signs were there for this to be the case. My mates were just a point away from victory at 10-6 up in the 4th set, with a 2-1 set lead. However, Sahmaniac made a few quick errors and they were going into a 5th set as the top A2 team scrambled 6 points in a row to win 12-10. Once again my mates' team looked the goods in the 5th set going out to a lead of 9-6....and once again the other guys performed a comeback to win it 11-9 and become our final's opponent.

To be quite honest, I thought P and I had a better chance against these guys than we would if we played my mates'. And the first set seemed to hold this to be true. We took it in a narrow 14-12 win, but this was the harder combination for us. In the next set we showed better form in the opposite combination (a lot of the reason for this was in this combination I faced the trickier server with my pips, and sent trickier spin to the player less adept at handling it). We took the set 11-7. Back to the harder combination in the 3rd set and this time they prevailed with it, winning 11-8. The 4th set was the obvious time for us to win this, if we ever were going to win it. It was a struggle and the quality of the rallies kept up throughout this set as they had the entire match, but we came out victorious with an 11-9! :party:

So I can add another medal to my tally for this week, taking it to 3 - although they couldn't give us the medal tonight as the maker had apparently made some mistake and they'd been sent back to be re-done.

So, then the A2 singles championship kicked off. I drew an old nemesis who I dreaded playing as I was fairly sure I'd lose to. He was my teammate from last season's Monday A3 side. I've played him 3 times in the last 2 Thursday seasons and not managed a set from him. Having practiced with me and watched me as a teamy, he'd worked out how to beat me. He is also a pips player, but he uses slower pips and in pip to pip rallies, he usually is the one to not float the ball long first. Well tonight, to my surprise I started out stronger against him than I had in ages. I took the first set 11-7 and then sneaked away with the 2nd set 12-10. He was netting balls off his pips a lot more than he has in the past, but I found out later this was due to going to even slower pips on a slow blade (he was using Spinlord Blutenzog?? on a S&T Zeus). Anyway after 2 sets he seemed to get into the swing of things more and he took the next 2 11-8 and 12-10. So we went into the decider set and he had the ascendency. He turned 5-3 up on me and I was looking for what I could do to find a new weakness. I pulled the score back to 5 all with some risky shots to his FH. His FH is a strong sidespin loop and dangerous to go to, but with good placement and a slightly dead-spin ball he can miss, or mis-time the ball. He immediately escaped back out to 7-5 and I felt this may be my fate. I can't recall everything, but I know it went to 8-6 and I'd gotten a point from him floating long off the pips. It then moved to 9-7, and finally I caught him at 9 all. Don't remember much from this part of the game (memory seems to go at times of greatest focus LOL), but I know I won it 11-9. And this was just my 1st singles match :whew:

My 2nd match was drawn against my teammate P. We haven't played each other in a while, but I'd generally had the wood on him (although there was a brief period where he had turned that around). I took the first set fairly easily at 11-8, and then took the 2nd ridiculously easily at 11-3. The 3rd set he fired up and got over me at 11-9, when I thought I was going to close it out. The 4th set turned out to be pretty easy though and I took him down 11-5 (there was something about THAT end lol).

Winning this match took me into the final, against one of the best A2 Monday players there is. Funnily enough he was saying he didn't want to play ME, cos I was hard :lol: He'd beaten me 4-0 last Thursday night in competition, although I'd made him work for every set with a lot of long rallies and a scoreline of 11-7, 11-7, 11-7, 11-9. Could I improve on that tonight? Looked like I would in the first set as I walked all over him for most of it and seemed like an easy win. I can't recall, but his wife (who was scoring) said I'd lead it 10-4 :headbang: He won it 14-12! :headbang: :headbang:

Being the final we had to play best of 7 sets and I was really hoping to tire him out, but I think it was me who tired more lol. We had a good tough match with a LOT of long rallies, but he prevailed over me in every set going to 11-8 or 11-9. I really didn't expect to beat him except for the minute chance that because he'd had a tougher path to the final he may have been more worn down than me (he sure was complaining more about being tired than I was LOL).

Anyway, I'm not unhappy. I won 3 out of a possible 4 medals from this year's championship campaign. I don't think there was too many who did this. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 94  Next