OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 05:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 22:27 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I bet he'd go ok with a sheet of random chinese rubber X that's been left in the sun all summer :up: .

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 22:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well, we've finally gone and done it! We won the A2 Masters Premiership! In the end the guy's who were in the team most the season came and played, as the substitute they used for 3 rounds was deemed ineligible for the final. With all the stress they put on us having to protest this, the regular player somehow managed to play anyway :?:

I played first as is the usual order for us and I had a tough match but beat the opponent 4-1. My teamy then played the guy who was supposed to be unavailable and lost 4-1 to him. He then played the guy I'd beaten and beat him 4-1. I then played the remaining single and whilst playing reasonably competitively (losing at 8's and 9's), I was quickly down 3-0. I focused in and played some ripping FH smashes to go to 3-1 and made him further up his game. I thought I would take the 6th set and really lay the pressure on as I lead 10-9, but he grabbed deuce and took me out 13-11. So it was 2 all and down to the doubles.

We began the doubles looking like we might get crushed as we took a 4-0 chase to the start of the first set. We got ourselves together though and came back to 4 all and went on to win the set 11-8. We won the next set 11-4. The next set was tougher, but we still got it 11-7. In the 4th set they took the game up to us and things were tough. But just as we got on top at 7-6, I made a move and my shoe grabbed the floor and I went stumbling backward with no control crashing into the barrier and on the floor. My teammate looked shattered, thinking I was going to make us forfeit. I had a slightly sore back, a slightly shaken head and a sore butt lol...but I was ok. I got up, went on with it and we took the doubles 11-8 in the 4 straight sets!

Man was that ever a good feeling to walk away with that win! After the fighting we'd had to do on and off the court...playing in 40C heat tonight...and not knowing until the very last minute whether we even had to compete to win tonight...as the opponents both turned up right on 7.30pm (it was like they'd organised to look like no shows, and then surprise us that we had to play to get the mental edge on us). Well, if that was what they tried, it didn't work. we kicked BUTT!!

This is the highest grade premiership I've ever won, and both my teamy and I finished the season with 80% win ratio each...and one singles win each in the final. So we both won exactly 17 singles matches (including the final) out of 22 for the season, which Foam said was very unlikely to happen :lol: So hopefully with that we will get a crack at playing A1 next season. I have little doubt we will find that very tough going, and it would take a miracle to have more than one season there. But the experience of it would be worth it!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 22:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
CONGRATZZZ!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 22:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Haha! Gotta love that! Thanks mate!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 23:07 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Hahah great image, haggis :)

And congratulations Reb, that's absolutely awesome, seriously :)

How long have you been playing TT now? Do you have aspirations to go further, i.e. A1?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 23:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks Dunc. I've been back to TT for just on 7 years I think (maybe 6 and a half). I'd played in my teens, but never reached the levels I'm playing at now. We have applied for A1 next season in the Masters comp, and hopefully off the back of our 80% win ratio should get a shot at it. Staying there is not easy though as there are some very good players in there. The guys who won A2 last season finished bottom and winless with only 3 singles wins between them for the whole season. But I certainly aspire to giving it a crack ;)

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 01:25 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Jesus lol, that sounds like a bit of a jump :D

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 11:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

dunc wrote:
Jesus lol, that sounds like a bit of a jump :D

It is quite a jump yes. But then same thing happens from A3 to A2. The guy who finished bottom of A2 this season had 2 wins for the season...both due to forfeit! :lol: They won about 3 or 4 matches between them, bone fide. And one of them had won 90% in A3, the other about 60%.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 16:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Gergely has new clothes! Well same clothes, new off the rack :lol:

Dtecs is new version. Had a hit with it, seems good. Better attacking than the old one. New sheet of Rasant and someone asked me if I had changed rubbers as I seemed to hit the ball faster. Hmmm, didn't think there was THAT much gone off my 2 year old sheet...maybe I as wrong.

Well hopefully this heatwave will end in time for season start on Monday. Still only have 2 players in 3 man team so far. Don't even know which grades I'll be playing for Mondays or Thursdays.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 19:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I wonder how much the heat affected the new Rasant sheet... they definitely play better in the heat.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 22:45 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
I wonder how much the heat affected the new Rasant sheet... they definitely play better in the heat.

Well I guess there's a thought. I know I can loop-spin the ball like crazy with a new sheet compared to one that's worn in a bit. I don't brush loop much...except when i'm practising with a new sheet of Rasant :devil: :P

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 23:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

It was with some trepidation that I returned to TT tonight. The season began anew for the year, but after finishing last on the ladder in A3 last season, would I be demoted to an A4 team? I had only been able to find one teammate to play this season with, so asked for another to be allocated. What would he be like? I walked in and quickly scanned the A3 list and didn't see my name. Looked at the A4 list and couldn't find it there. Had a better look at A3 and there I was in the middle of the list and I'd glossed over myself :oops: :lol:

But I was happy to have held my spot. Especially as the guy playing with me was A4 the last time he played 2 seasons ago, so I wasn't sure they'd let him come to A3. The other name on the list was a teen I know and I figured he'd hold up his end, but it turned out he wasn't playing after all and we have another kid of same age (18) who has only ever played in the juniors.

Looking at all the teams, I was sensing we may not do so well this season either, unless this kid turns out to be a gun.

We got underway for the night, I played first as usual. I was up against a guy who had demoted himself from A2 last season to play with his 18 year old son in A3. Their third player was another Vietnamese guy like them. The Vietnamese love their TT and all play to a pretty high standard. The guy I was playing first I thought would spread-eagle all of us tonight and I was just hoping we'd all beat his son and maybe the other guy. But I didn't like our chances.

I began serving and put my first LP serve into the net. Great start! :headbang: I served a safe underspin serve on the next and after a brief rally he missed his loop to my BH side and it was 1 all. From there, I just seemed to tear him apart as he failed to handle my pips. I won the first set 11-3 after giving him a point to start! In the second set, it was a similar story and I won 11-4. There was something wrong though! This was going all too easy with a guy I know has taken big scalps in the higher grade. As expected in the third, he geared it up. The rallies went longer and he didn't miss his loops so much. I was down 6-8 on him and was thinking he'd had way too much string. It was time to reel him in, or I might not land this fish! I managed to pull it back to 8 all and my serve. I gave him a top-side serve and he went at it as he'd gotten a little too used to returning it by now, but this time he sent it long. He'd also gotten used to lifting my LP serve to his FH (he's a lefty) back to a relatively safe spot on my BH. This time though, I pushed it back deep into him and he lifted again but to mid-table and I slapped him away with my FH to be 10-8. Need 1 point! He serves me off with strong spin down his FH side (he had some very tricky serves to read, but fortunately I'd had a practice doubles with him pre-matches and got used to most of them :lol: ). So now it was 10-9 and I knew I had to return that next serve. It was similar to the one I just pushed off, but I worked it to mid table this time and a rally began. I was moving him around using my pips as he was avoiding my FH unless he could catch it unawares. I'd gone to his FH and mid table and then went to his BH. I clipped the net! It dropped on his side :rofl: Match was mine 11-9! :party:

My new teamy S played next against the son, who had improved a lot since I last saw him play maybe a year or more ago. S lost the first set 11-7 and was looking shaky, but then came back to win the next 3, 8,6,6. So we had a handy 2-0 lead.

Our new youngster, C, was up next against a wily old-ish (late 50's??) opponent. C turns out to have a pretty standard juniors game, yet unexposed to the tricks and traps of Seniors competition. He has lovely, fairly polished loops on both wings. He gave the opponent quite some trouble in the first set getting out to a good lead before a comeback that saw him scrape out of it with 11-9. The opponent took the next set 11-6, but to his credit, C stood up again and won the 3rd 11-7. The old stager had some great blocks and a very hard drive off his BH and a spinny FH loop. He was well seasoned and he moved pretty well. He took the 4th 11-8 and at 6-4 down in the 5th he began to show the kid up for his greenness. He pulled out a serve he hadn't used all match and C sent it wide of the table to the left. That was then the only serve the opponent used and C never got to returning it. He held out on his own serve and got out to 9 all...but then it was the opponents serve. He sent it wide left again to go 10-9 down and tried to attack it in desperation on the next serve, and missed into the net. So we were 2-1 up, instead of the 3-0 I'd hoped.

S and I played the doubles next and after winning the first set, found ourselves on the back-foot losing the next 2. In the 4th it was looking grim, but we scraped through to deuce. Then we gave them several match points, but we survived them and won the set 15-13 to even the match. The 5th set was also tight and we clammered out with a 12-10 victory to go 3-1 up for the night.

S played the ex-A2 player next and went down 3-1. Back to 3-2 in the teamscore then.

Now I had to play their oldest player, who C had lost to. He was pretty tough, but I took the first 2 sets 11-8 and felt well in control. At least I felt that way until he took me down 11-4 in the 3rd :oops: I took stock and doubled up my efforts for the 4th set, but he'd worked out my weapons and was no longer giving control over. Try as I might to finish it in the 4th, he emerged the winner at 11-9 and on we went into the 5th set. I found a little control back and turned him 5-2, but after getting to 5-3 he brang out the unseen serve at this point and I know why our kid had trouble with it. Even off the pips it was a beast to control. He won a point outright and then got me to place it just where he wanted for a putaway loop. We battled on and I can't recall who made 9 first, but the score went to 9 all and I had serve. I set a side-top to his BH and he blocked it back to my BH and a BH to BH rally ensued, After several shots each he could see he'd opened me up for a quick angle out to his FH and he moved to cover it. I saw him moving and gave a strong little push back down his BH again. He was a little wrong-footed, but had one last chance to put the ball away with his strong BH punch. Being off balance just slightly though he failed to counter the reversal I'd put on it and he netted it! 10-9 to me! I served a standard LP serve down his BH side which he lifted back to my BH and I cut it back to his BH and immediately moved to my left and as expected he lifted again to my BH, but I was onto my FH and I smashed it down his FH line with no chance to put his racket on the ball! Game Over! :party: We had a 4-2 lead for the night.

The kid of both sides played next and our proved to be the best winning in 3! We moved to 5-2 up and needed one more to win the night.

C and I played the second doubles, and C seemed quite nervous. He missed shot after shot (loop or smash) that he should have gotten from my setups. I was a little frustrated and started missing some of my own shots as I tried to make winners instead of setups. We lost the first 2 sets and it looked glum. We were playing the 2 older team members on the opposition side though. So they had the experience on their side. I couldn't blame the kid. I just said let's try to win one set. And somehow we did lol. 11-9 in the 3rd. I think he began to play the rally more, rather than going for shots and giving the point away. This in turn let me into more of the play and I got smashes or I got him easier winners with the opponents totally out of position. The momentum swung our way a lot and we won the last 2 sets 11-7 each. That closed out the night's win for us at 6-2 with 3 matches remaining.

C played the Dad (ex-A2 guy) on the other side and S played the oldest guy on different tables at the same time. C got downed in 3 (4,6,9), while I scored S's match which went to 5 sets. S had it nicely wrapped up getting out to 10-6 in the 5th when he served the ball into the back of the table. I've played against S and been in this exact same circumstance in the past being 10-6 down to him in the last set and I beat him by holding nerve. I was hoping his opponent wouldn't do this, but low and behold he got it back to deuce! but then S got match point and lost it. Got it again and lost it. The opponent got it, S got back to deuce. This went on to 16 all. The opponent got 17-16 and S finally ran out of steam or luck or whatever had held him in it as he went down 18-16.

So it was now 6-4 with one match remaining to ice the cake with....Mine!

I'm glad I didn't have to win it to win the night. I don't relish in that pressure. I was pretty confident I should beat their kid, but I knew I couldn't get over-confident. The kids shots have improved a lot and so had his play against pips. He wasn't trying to loop everything. He was wary when the spin got too much and he lifted the ball to safe places a lot. Having said that, I got out to an 8-2 lead and relaxed....a little too much (but I was tired). He came back to 10-9 and had me looking for the last 2 points from 9-5. In trying to stay cute, he made his own error though and faulted serve to give me 11-9. :whew: Needless to say I didn't relax for the rest of the match. I won the next 2 sets 11-7 and 11-4 to give us a 7-4 win for our first night. That against a side which at the start of the night I actually said to them that they will win the flag with their team. Beating them and winning my 3 singles and 2 doubles was pretty satisfying.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 17:01 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Now Reb that you are in A grade, we expect, no we demand for a more quality game from you! :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 18:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Haha Red. I been in A grade for over 3 years mate. Its just now I have made A1 on Thursdays. Still in A3 on Mondays. But I am giving it all my best as always my friend. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 19:15 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Haha Red. I been in A grade for over 3 years mate. Its just now I have made A1 on Thursdays. Still in A3 on Mondays. But I am giving it all my best as always my friend. :)

so tell us how did you go on thursday night Reb , if I can remember you were playing the top team in A1 masters . I saw only 1 result on the board when I had my Iphone in camera mode but will leave the quote to you to tell us how your team went. By the way we beat the runner up from last season 3-2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 94  Next