OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 94  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 21:27 
Super User

Enjoy the game,Reb.

I have moved to a new town, and is still trying to find a playing site. Hopefully I can get one by next week.

You know, when the TT jink got over me, I drove 280 km(3 weeks ago) back to my previous residential town just to play TT :P :P Though there is one I found here that is 1 1/2 hrs driving away from where I stayed, through heavy congested traffic. Cos I miss my TT buddies! :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 22:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
purger wrote:
Wery nice report Reb.Im glad that you are back as well cong on higher grade.Sounds like you just sliped a win in second match.5 sets matches are always tricky.
Wish you good luck in season and go for your shots,use wat works wat doesnt change it, :D

Yeah, if he hadn't settled down, then I think I would have gotten him. Actually I think its good coming back to a higher grade. If I can manage to win enough to stay in the grade I think my overall game will benefit, and then after a season on two I might move to B1. Obviously need to be in there to have a chance to get to A grade, which would be the ultimate goal I think. Thanks Purge.

Jix, I can't believe you would do that sort of travel every week for a game surely? I could drive to my hometown once a week if I felt like it, which is just over an hours country driving, and play at my old, old club. But the added TT costs and fuel as well is just a bit too much. It is something I'd love to do though, although most the guys I used to play with as a teen probably wouldn't be there now. I know 2 guys who still play there for sure, one is my ex brother-in-law lol. Good luck on re-connecting with TT in your area.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 16:55 
Mars Attacks!

Silver wrote:
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
your club sounds bigger than even what we have.

The Melbourne league is the biggest in australia.

hehe, I reckon you should jump on the Bris tour. Play all three fixtures, Bris, Wynnum, UQ...

I'm pretty sure that is right Silver
SHFS I have been told that the Dandy club where Reb & I play has the biggest permanent membership base in Oz, and been going since the 60's. (although Croydon/Kilsyth tries to say they are the biggest :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 17:13 
Mars Attacks!

antipip wrote:
Your manager sounds as forgetful as me. If I don't do something then and there I forget, minimum I have to do is set a reminder on my phone.

Is that fairly typical of table tennis in Australia? Is it a system designed for minority sports or sparsley populated areas? (I'm not meaning to cause offense here, just curious of how the system came to be in place) 4 seasons mean you must play pretty much all year round something i've never done. Are the seasons based on weather seasons or calendar months?

In England our teams are made of clubs around a catchment area, each with their own venue. Play once home and away. Top 2 go up, bottom 2 go down with a bit of leeway.
They used to be a lot of works teams, this has died down and now there are a higher proportion of sports clubs forming teams and venues.

I think that above that level you can represent your town or county and some clubs will have teams entered in british league which is split regionally, depending on makeup of teams, below the top division. Tournaments are also organised on a star basis to give ranking points.

Hi Antipip,

Our club works as Reb has described but at the highest state level we have a metro league played at MSAC ( the last Commonwealth games venue for TT) this has 3 divisions, the top division comprises of the many top players including many of our state & some Aust level players and veterans. This is deliberately played mid week so as to avoid clashing with other leagues and this in turn allows players to play their local and metro comps if they wish.

There is also a super league where the very cream of state players are formed into approx 6 teams each representing a major regional city or TT centerer. These teams then play to generate as much interest in TT as possible.

We are pretty lucky here in Melbourne as we have a lot of the top Oz players & juniors based @ MSAC. Sorry Haggisv we even seem to have stolen your SA man Henzell.

In terms of representing Oz it often seems to come down to a "shoot out tournament" of invited top ranked players just before a major event, like we do for our swimming where the 3-4 best placed players represent our country. If you have a bad tournament or day you miss out.

This is roughly my understanding of the TT scene down here anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 23:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well, I'm just home from TT. Our second week and our second win! Two from two is cool and we won with the exact same score as last week, 7-4.

A night of mixed feelings for me as I won one singles game, lost 2, and also won a doubles. One of the singles I lost, I expected to as the guy had beaten our Captain 3-0! I lost to this guy 3-1, and almost nabbed a second game, so I wasn't too unhappy with that. The game I won, was my first actual victory in this higher level, so I can't be unhappy about that (especially when I won it 3-0). The other game I lost though, I felt I should have won even though I went down 3-1 in it. The opponents game was nothing special at all, and if I'd been on my game I would have thrashed him I'm sure. I'm not sure whether I underestimated him and therefore got taken by surprise when he was getting the ball back as consistently as he did, or what it was. His game had no furness at all. His smashes lacked power, but he made them awkward to deal with. I've blocked much harder smashes back than his many times, and perhaps it was the lack of power that threw me. I also started missing my own smashes and so started playing a passive chopping and pushing game. The Captain wasn't impressed by this lol.

The brightest spot of the night however was I played first and set us up for a 1-0 lead. The guy I played was a dual-inverted chopper. He had quite a good BH flick which I had to be weary of, but he also mis-read the Palio and missed it a fair bit. He got chops back from a lot of places I thought I'd have the point though, so I had to earn my win. The first game I took 11-5 although it felt a lot closer than that. Even at 9-5 I didn't feel comfortable.

Now the second game left me just gobsmacked. I barely remember anything that happened in it. I still can't explain it! I won the game 11-0!
I do recall getting to 5-0 and thinking this is a handy lead. I think I recall a smash or maybe even 2. I do remember serving at 10-0 and wondering if I should cut the guy a break as he dumped my serve into the net! :roll: Well, so much for a charitable thought! :lol:

So the next game I figured would be a "go through the motions" game. Blow me down, but he must have been really pi**ed losing 11-0 although his facial expressions revealed nothing. (This was a nice old guy in his 60's or so by the way). Anyway he came back with a vengeance! He set up a couple of point lead early and held on to it until I got back to him at 8 all. I got over him to 9-8, but then he got it back to 9 all. He got it to 10-9 and then he missed an attempt to take out the game with a smash and it was 10 all. We teetered as I went to 11-10 and it went back to 11 all. I finally managed to take 2 points in a row after that and breathed a sigh of relief to reach 13-11. Wasn't so sure how I would fare if I lost that one lol! :roll:

The second guy I played used Pluto SP and if Mars thinks I chicken-wing well, he should see this guy. He smashes off the chicken wing and they go fast and damn its confusing.

In the doubles, I played with the Captain and we won it 3-0. I played much more of an attacking role than I was used to in doubles as I was being egged on by my teammate, who wasn't attacking all that well himself. He and our other player lost the first doubles 3-0, so I think our Captain was relieved to find I was a steadier doubles player than the other guy (who lost them a lot of points by going for erratic "winners"). Still, can't complain as he did win all his singles tonight. Something I never seem to be able to do.

I did have a point tonight where I was in the middle of umpiring a match and I just felt happy to be where I was playing TT again. It was one of those moments that don't come along all that often in our lives, where we stop just for a second and really feel good about what's going on. I'm sure different people have these moments to different degrees, but it gave me a nice calm feeling.

I used the Cayman for all my matches tonight and I'm pretty happy with the Tango and the Palio on it. The guy I played second told me I wasn't an easy guy to play against with my pips after he beat me. That made me feel pretty good, cos it said to me I had really pushed him.

I had the Joola R1 with me tonight, dressed in Skyline TG2 and Magic Monkey Pips. I had a bit of a hit with it and it didn't feel too bad, although the TG2 felt pretty slow and I think I'll go back to Focus II with it. The Magic Monkey pips I still have the jury out on. I think the C7 would possibly go better as Peacekeeper felt really good. Or maybe I'll just get a sheet of PK to fit to it and be done. My Captain said he wanted me to use the R1 from now on. I said I'm not well enough used to it yet. Might have something to do with the fact he used to use an R1 and now has a Dr. N blade that is similar. He tried my Cayman and said "too light, not enough power - he uses quite small hand and arm movements and gets power from his blade".

I had a game with a very senior and accomplished B1 player tonight after matches finished. I managed to beat him 11-7 in the first game, and I could see him lift a gear as he didn't like it. He took the second game 11-4 as if to say take that. I then took the next game from him 11-8 and I could see he wasn't going to leave it there. So we had another and he equalised with me winning it 11-6 or so. So we had to have a decider then, which he won, but I think it was about 11-8. I was pretty happy with this result as this guy is ready to go up into A grade I think. He has a pretty strong game, and he wasn't playing around. I smacked a lot of balls past him off my FH and BH and played a very aggressive game. Pity I put it away when the record books come out! :roll: :x

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 06:18 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Wow Reb, B1 player ready to move up sounds like he is advanced level at least USATT 1900. WTG in extending him and hitting UR zone a lot. You sound like you are not joking around yourself.

Quote:
Jix, I can't believe you would do that sort of travel every week for a game surely?

I can believe it. I drive half of that distance each week for one knockup with my famous "Texas LP Friends" of which now only one still uses LP. If I didn't have a wife on me about further feul costs, I would drive the 3 hours to Dallas and have a hit all weekend. Our former Korean Church Preacher retired and went to Dallas to live near their children. There are at least 6 rec centers with several advanced players going at it every weekend. I have yet to visit this place, but there is a Korean TT place in Dallas. When I get back, I have have o make a few weekend trips to Dallas. Gonna cost me a lot, even before the wife goes shopping with the Preacher's wife, but I am still willing to make it there a few times. I fully understand jixiaolan driving 3 hours for a quality hit. In the USA, unless you are in an area with some TT, you might have to go further than that.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 11:37 
Mars Attacks!

Well done Reb,

WOW 11-0 did you invoke the "drop your pants & run a lap of the table rule" :twisted: :lol:

Did you remember to use the curving side/top spin serve against the chickenwing man to tie him up in knots.

It is good to hear you are enjoying the competition of the higher grade, keep it going.

Without stealing your thread, my team lost 8-3 but 4 out of the 5 games we lost went to the deciding 5th game so the score was a little misleading. On a personal note I played 2 of the better players in the grade and put up a good fight, I lost to Hua 11-9 ( 8 -8 at one stage) in the fifth but I honestly came off the court knowing there was almost nothing in it. This is now something like the 4th time in a row that he has pipped me at the death and we both shared a joke that his luck will have to run out soon. I really hope so :cry: :wink: . I did point out to him that at my age I could easily be his father and he is not even a teen but in his early/mid 20's.

You may also be interested to know I have started this season without my beloved H3 P & Roxon but instead switched to the new Gewo Proton Sound rubbers on both the FH & BH and it has definitely raised a few eyebrows with the sheer speed, spin and slidding that I can produce. (working on a review of these rubbers for the equip section as I write this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 13:11 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Well done Reb keep playing good and wins will come, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 14:32 
Mars Attacks!

purger wrote:

Hi Purger,
lont time no see, how you going @ your new club?
has your season @ Coburg started yet, if so how is it going & how different is it from your previous club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 15:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Not sure if Purger's ankle is going to allow him to play Mars. It seems to have an intermittent electrical fault! :wink: :lol: It lets him play, then shts him down, then comes back ok, then goes off again. I think he forgot to unwire his Xmas lights to it! :P :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 17:07 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Mars63 wrote:
purger wrote:

Hi Purger,
lont time no see, how you going @ your new club?
has your season @ Coburg started yet, if so how is it going & how different is it from your previous club.

Hi Mars,

I played last night and won all matches ease.Im in A3 cos wosnt room in A2 when I put application in. I played on that slow table were you and I had a hit if you remember.

Reb,
Christmas lights are off mate and ankle sims better but I can fell ligaments here and there but it's geting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 17:31 
Mars Attacks!

well done purger can't do any better than win all 3, its good to hear your ankle is getting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 17:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Good to hear Purger. Otherwise Santa might have been responding to a lot of false alarms! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 18:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hi Mars63

That's interesting and a good way of organising higher level play. Your selection policy sounds similar to American track, which forces you to perform. The danger is that you have to peak for the trials and the match. When they are close together this shouldn't be a problem, but get drawn against your bogey player and oops your gone. I like it, we don't like competition in England which is why we're c**p at it. I blame the 70's Labour regime for that and I'm not alone.
In ours midweek is local league, tournaments and county are weekends (British league might be too). I don't know if national selection goes on ranking or form or what. I don't know anyone who has played for England.

Reb 11-0! Very impressive. Things can swing so quickly at this 11 up lark you have to keep going, unless you're way above their level and can beat them 11-0 every time. I once beat someone 11-0 who'd lost to my father 21-0. I got told off in the pub after and I've not been allowed to forget it. The thing when I was attacking this player always beat me, and not long before this could and should have beaten me when I was defending, I couldn't afford to give them a point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 18:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Der_Echte wrote:
Wow Reb, B1 player ready to move up sounds like he is advanced level at least USATT 1900. WTG in extending him and hitting UR zone a lot. You sound like you are not joking around yourself.

Der, I really have little idea how our grades here compare to your points system. Perhaps Mars has more idea?

Mars, I did catch the chicken-winger out a couple of times, but he was also good at his FH shots too, so it wasn't so easy. He's a pretty experienced player and beating Phuc 3-0 is not an easy task. I've only ever taken one game off Phuc, as in one set, not one match. Thats out of about 4 matches I think. Oh, and no, I didn't enforce the drop your pants rule. Actually I didn't know it existed, haha!

Oh, and glad to see you've now revealed the Proton, it was burning me up not to be able to talk about it. WOW, WHAT A TENSOR!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 94  Next