OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 10:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT87 and DTT21 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT87 is about using the hips on the Punch Serve. DTT21 is an all table forehand exercise.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 11:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Are there any videos on ttedge of drills to improve your handling of balls to the elbow?

When I went to camp I saw a lot of coached juniors, and one thing I noticed about them was in backhand drills if a ball mistakenly came to their elbow or near forehand they automatically turned for the fh. I've worked on that some and it's better, but the problem I still have is that I leave my right foot planted. I turn at the shoulders and waist, but without moving my foot back to be almost perpendicular to the table, I'm still jammed to where I can't hit a proper fh.

The one drill I know for this is from te13 to loop all to the blocker's bh, they block to my bh 60% of the table, and I react correctly to make the right stroke for each ball. Does this seem like a reasonable drill for this problem, or are there others/better?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 13:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
What about this one: blocker puts everything to your elbow, you loop to their BH or FH? Or just make a feeder put multiball always to your elbow?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 01:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Regarding DTT21, how challenging should the gap be between two consecutive shots? Should it make the player uncomfortable at least a little bit?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 11:16 

Blade: Butterfly
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Energy 80
Just came across this https://www.experttabletennis.com/blog/

It seemed really silly at first, but after a while I thought the points made in this blog might go some way in explaining why players who start really young almost always have correct mechanics. Thoughts ?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

goodtechnique wrote:
Just came across this https://www.experttabletennis.com/blog/

It seemed really silly at first, but after a while I thought the points made in this blog might go some way in explaining why players who start really young almost always have correct mechanics. Thoughts ?

When I read about it, I thought a bit in different direction. Most table tennis player are familiar with the image of an amazing junior with textbook-like technique who runs around the court and kills everything. And we assume that all juniors are like that, if they start early, they are perfect. I think that it is an instance of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias. Just think about all juniors that we don't pay attention to because they are not flashy. Or juniors that didn't come to the tournament (because they are not up to the standard) or just gave up the sport. Larry Hodges has many stories in his blog on how he struggled to teach kids the proper technique sometimes.

Last edited by Dr.Pivot on 17 Oct 2017, 13:48, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 12:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Time to improve the flick. I didn't pay attention to hips, just tried to implement the "fish fin" pattern from the part 24 of the Learning Table Tennis Series.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 12:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Competetion-wise I had an epic comeback from 0:2 to win 3:2 at 9 in the fifth in the local league. I will put it here once I cut the time between points. Then had an exciting match with a 1800-ish player, was down 0:2, won third at 9 and lost 4th at 9. Managed to land a bunch of King Kong-style pivots set up by the reverse serve. The camera's battery was exhausted unfortunately :(

It all seems like a recurring pattern: I try to be assertive from the get-go, make a lot of mistakes, then things get together and I even play table tennis that I always dreamed of playing.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 13:51 

Quote:

When I read about it, I thought a bit in different direction. Most table tennis player are familiar with the image of an amazing junior with textbook-like technique who runs around the court and kills everything. And we assume that all juniors are like that, if they start early, they are perfect. I think that it is an instance of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias bias. Just think about all juniors that we don't pay attention to because they are not flashy. Or juniors that didn't come to the tournament (because they are not up to the standard) or just gave up the sport. Larry Hodges has many stories in his blog when he struggled to teach kids the proper technique

Maybe. However I actually tried playing on my knees, and after a few minutes of adjusting to the height, I found that I was forced to use correct mechanics to hit the ball onto the other side of the table. As far as kids learning correct technique goes, practically all the kids I see who start very young (no later than 5 or 6) with a modicum of athletic ability, end up with textbook technique. And what's interesting is that a lot of the kids don't nescessarily have 'good form' per se at the beginning, but their mechanics are spot on.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 07:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Kids have some huge advantages over adults when learning this game.
1. Kids just learn better and faster. Evolution has weeded those young people who could not learn at a early age. Learn or due literally.
2. Bodies recover much faster and are injury free to start off. US military wants 18 yr olds for a reason. More practice per week.
3. Height advantage. Being short is a hindering early on as being short requires one to loop to get the ball on the table with any speed. After much practice (and they can do more than us per week) they have great technique. It's not pretty early on.
4. No pre conceived notions on how to play. We all have habits that we learned very early on that did not get corrected and in fact we might have beat people with them for a time.

I played my first tourney match vs a young girl who was rated 400 or so. I won by blocking and letting her make mistakes but there were a few balls that were high quality. I'm not sure if she is better or not than me now but you could easily see the chance for a higher quality player in the near future. She had not put the work in yet.

Without ttedge I think I would have a lot of trouble actually improving. I would just get better at poor technique. BRS is a shining example of a well grooved poor technique player and also now of an adult learner with uncapped technique with room to grow. He should write a book at this point. (breaking 2000...paddles?)

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 10:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Time to improve the flick. I didn't pay attention to hips, just tried to implement the "fish fin" pattern from the part 24 of the Learning Table Tennis Series.

What you are doing with your arm looks good enough. Now add the hip.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 10:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Regarding DTT21, how challenging should the gap be between two consecutive shots? Should it make the player uncomfortable at least a little bit?

It depends on your level of play. I use this exercise with 1600 type players and below. The good part about multiball is you can control the speed and frequency of the feed. The coach should consider the player's level of competency and fit in with it. You can push the boundaries, but the player should always feel somewhat comfortable and be able to maintain good technique.

With more advanced players I block for them. We should make a video about it.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 13:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Without ttedge I think I would have a lot of trouble actually improving. I would just get better at poor technique.

The same thing with me. Kudos to BRS again. The scale of intellectual insight of LTT into the gist of the sport is unprecedented.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 18:31 

Following up on the issue of starting young usually = good mechanics, I watched LTT41 again. As per per previous discussions on this topic I understand good mechanics in general is a balance between getting the correct feeling in the forearm as well as the lower body. However in my opinion, getting the feeling of good mechanics in terms of how the wrist and forearm move is much more difficult than getting the feeling of how to generate good mechanics using rotation (as discussed in LTT86) . Unfortunately, I feel it's the first category that's required in the more difficult areas of the game such as service return, and fast exchanges close to the table. I think a lot of players can relate to that feeling, of being in the right position to play a good shot without necessarily wanting to hit a very aggressive stroke, but failing to get any momentum or control on the ball due to poor mechanics.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 22:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've been trying to learn Chinese (Mandarin) for quite some time, but I couldn't get the accent right. I then realized that little kids seem to learn languages really fast, without a thick accent, so I had a great idea. I got down on my knees and spoke Mandarin and my accent simply disappeared after 5 minutes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 568  Next