OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 18:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Also knowing that wilkinru in is Vegas I am making an assumption that there are good coaches in California. NL specifically mentioned Bengtsson. Were Russ on the east coast I would say he should go to europe for coaching, but I realize that might sound extreme, even inconceivable, to most normal people.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 05:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
The TTEdge platform has helped me see and structure a lot to things including how I think about the sport. If we could force Brett to do an annual TTEdge camp in the USA, then that would help finish it out so that everything comes together. I still pick up things from William's old videos too.

The main reason I said what I said was that Russ was making a not so veiled comment tied to his being dissatisfied only if mildly at his rate of improvement. He is the kind of guy who would do extremely well if he could talk to and exchange ideas with a high level coach seeing his game in person.

I think Brett is more aware of the limitations of TTEdge than most of us. It's members who are less likely to be. That said, it is easy to underestimate what TTEdge can do for an adult learner. Many adult learners like the illusion if understanding to supplement their learning. Illusion might sound derogatory but it isn't - we need a story to give meaning to our training and technique. Don't know any sure that does this better than TTEdge. Explaining to people what makes technique better or worse is much easier. And this will ease Russ's process when working with any coach.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 07:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well, I'll just throw this out there since you guys reminded me...

Anyone know of a good coach who is going to the US Open next week and may have time for a lesson or two? I've tried to ping some other coaches but have not come up with anything yet. Twice a year I could get some coaching feedback at least then :)

I'm sure there are good coaches in Cali. It's just very difficult to take a weekend off to Cali for TT, perhaps when my son is a little older and could also do some training. I really would like to have a coach that I could do a session once a month or so and give me "homework". Until then there is Brett and I'm extremely happy with the results, even if it isn't as fast as I'd like. You know I'm a little worried about being coached by someone else - would there be bad advise given? BRS, have you ever had advise that tends to be the opposite or considerably different than Brett gives?

Yeah we all need a story on training and improvement. 2017 was the year I shore up a lot of really weak points in my game. In some ways I've lost my identity on how I want to play due to winning points with defense. I'm still not yet at the level where all small mistakes get punished. (how many times have I popped up a serve misreading the spin and having the opponent slam it into the net?!)

However, unlike virtually everyone else I play weekly, I am improving and the proof is literally in how the points are won. Once I realized just how much these people play compared to me I actually think it is a massive endorsement of TTEdge. I am pretty much maximizing my TT time outside of having in person training.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 07:24 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

There are definitely good coaches in Vegas as well. From what I hear, Stella Bengsston doesn't like to fly but I am sure he could drive to Vegas if the right demand was there. He does go to Portland for some camps.

Some of the coaches could be more training partbers than real coaches but you have enough TTEdge experience to make your best guess of what to assimilate. The ball quality of q coach is something you can't get easily either training with friends or hitting on a robot, even my best student who has two robots at home said he wishes they could clone me when I did a lesson at his home.

There are lots of good coaches at Nationals but they are mostly coaching their students in matches but the ICC or some club might accommodate you if you asked them directly. Some students of Stellan I hear are really good coaches too (I am thinking of one 2400 chopper especially).

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 18:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes I have gotten conflicting information from different coaches. I don't see that as a negative, it's useful to try things different ways.

What good coaches seem to always agree on is the biggest problems in your game. The fastest way to improve, if you are doing something really wrong, is to stop doing that. Incremental progress in timing and touch takes forever by comparison.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 03:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Is there a technical difference in pivoting against a ball that lands, say, at the middle of backhand side, and the one that lands at the corner? Or I just need stronger legs to pivot against the wider balls.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 06:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

I think Brett is more aware of the limitations of TTEdge than most of us. It's members who are less likely to be. That said, it is easy to underestimate what TTEdge can do for an adult learner. Many adult learners like the illusion if understanding to supplement their learning. Illusion might sound derogatory but it isn't - we need a story to give meaning to our training and technique. Don't know any sure that does this better than TTEdge. Explaining to people what makes technique better or worse is much easier. And this will ease Russ's process when working with any coach.

Yep, I'm very aware of the limitations.

I played tennis with David Powell yesterday. His ground strokes are really good, but his serve is horrible. He isn't the world's best table tennis server either, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

I understand the tennis serve relatively well and I tried to teach him the mechanics. It didn't go very well and I think it will take hours of coaching for him to get the mechanics correct. A video of how to serve could help slightly, but this guy needs one-on-one coaching because he's too far away from being on track.

People send me videos, so I get to see the results. Some members are amazingly good at interpreting the lessons whereas others struggle. Then the implementation of technique into matches is a completely different universe.

Ben and I sat down to map out STTS (Strategic Table Tennis Series) and we realized just how hard it is to quantify absolutely everything. The variables are infinite because your opponents can do whatever they choose. You also have unlimited options as well, therefore the sport is completely dynamic. This series could take a while.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 06:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Is there a technical difference in pivoting against a ball that lands, say, at the middle of backhand side, and the one that lands at the corner? Or I just need stronger legs to pivot against the wider balls.

Yes. There are always small differences in what happens. You need to get further around the corner on the wide ball meaning you have to be faster.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 09:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT93 is now available on ttEDGE.com

The video is about how your body propels your arm when looping against backspin.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 12:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT93 is really good! Shows a lot of things I'm not doing all of the time. The idea of staying low for that backspin ball works well for me but it's likely because I get a little bit of torso coming up on the stroke but I never thought about it.

Edit: Also agree with fastmover below me.

Last edited by wilkinru on 18 Dec 2017, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 13:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My everlasting problem is that I unbend my legs after playing this shot and often cannot get into position for the next one as the result. It is like I am trying to lift the ball with my legs. As I understand how to use legs rotation better and play more forward it becomes less of a problem. But it still exists when I play against heavy backspin. LTT93 kind of addresses this issue in a way. I know that there is a ETTS about keeping legs bent all the time, my issue is connected to the specific shot.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 13:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It has been a long time since I've posted a video on YouTube. Today's the day.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 13:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
My everlasting problem is that I unbend my legs after playing this shot and often cannot get into position for the next one as the result. It is like I am trying to lift the ball with my legs. As I understand how to use legs rotation better and play more forward it becomes less of a problem. But it still exists when I play against heavy backspin. LTT93 kind of addresses this issue in a way. I know that there is a ETTS about keeping legs bent all the time, my issue is connected to the specific shot.

There's a fine line between turning up/forward and straightening the right leg.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 00:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This felt like the most epic pivot I ever hit in my life. A shot like that was impossible 50 pages in this forum ago.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 02:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

That was a beautifully executed point. Well done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 568  Next