OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Well I have no clue then.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I guess I am missing the second fold of the fold-unfold-fold formula. Also moan too much.

I think that's right.

How does your racket start making its way down when your body is up?

But they aren't playing out the points, presumably ro get more reps in the time. If fastmover was playing the balls that came back, maybe he would re-fold.

I mean he isn't folding towards his left thigh to drag the arm in a circular pattern. I'm not talking about the next ball.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Well I have no clue then.

Watch how high his racket went over his head. That is the result of his body making a circular pattern

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ok, I will until LTT112 or maybe until May.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

On the 2 loops after 0:26, Russ' arm is clearly making a circular pattern. Is his body making the arm do that, or is it his arm working against his body?

In the first point in the video below, what about Ma Long? Is his body propelling his arm? Are Russ and Ma Long doing the same thing with their body?

http://youtu.be/herCbH7rg9o?t=152

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 13:19 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Another way of expressing it. Is the body leading the arm or is the arm leading the body.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 13:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have posted LTT112 on ttEDGE.com. I still haven't done 111, so I finished 112 because of the discussion.

This shot isn't easy and it's not for everyone. I made this video because fastmover specifically asked me about the fast forehand from LTT29.

One of the good things about 112 is, it's the ultimate example of how the body needs to propel the arm. The racket-head speed created is greater than any other shot in TT because of how involved the body becomes. If you can do the windmill, I'm betting you can learn every other shot.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 14:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
If you can do the windmill, I'm betting you can learn every other shot.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 09:39 

So I'm considering joining the gym and would like to do exercises that'll help with TT. I'm thinking deadlift, squats and benchpress will be useful.. anyone have any tips on exercises to do for TT? What's optimal for strength gain.. how many sets/reps etc..?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 10:11 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Richfs wrote:
So I'm considering joining the gym and would like to do exercises that'll help with TT. I'm thinking deadlift, squats and benchpress will be useful.. anyone have any tips on exercises to do for TT? What's optimal for strength gain.. how many sets/reps etc..?

You don't need to try to do exercises specific to TT. Getting stronger in the core exercises is what to do, your TT training will take care of the rest. You have named some already but to add to those, overhead press, barbell row, chin ups. Squatting is probably the single best resistance exercise you can do for TT so no need to get fancy.

As a beginner start a linear progression, basically put the weight up every time, 3x5 for each exercise is fairly standard to begin with. So say start squat, 40kg or something (start light to practice form), 3 sets of 5 reps. Then next time 42.5kg the same 3×5. This should work for a couple of months 2 or 3 times a week, then you will need to make adjustments.

There's a book called Starting Strength which is highly recommended. It teaches you the form of all the core barbell exercises but also describes a beginner linear progression. When you are new to training you basically get stronger really fast for a while so you want to ramp up quickly. Unlike Milo, you will not be able to keep this up but it is the most efficient way to take advantage of those newbie gains.

Video your form and compare to some you find on YouTube. Read the book to learn how to fix errors. Form is really important.

Good luck mate best thing you'll ever do!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 11:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
Richfs wrote:

You don't need to try to do exercises specific to TT. Getting stronger in the core exercises is what to do, your TT training will take care of the rest. You have named some already but to add to those, overhead press, barbell row, chin ups. Squatting is probably the single best resistance exercise you can do for TT so no need to get fancy.

As a beginner start a linear progression, basically put the weight up every time, 3x5 for each exercise is fairly standard to begin with. So say start squat, 40kg or something (start light to practice form), 3 sets of 5 reps. Then next time 42.5kg the same 3×5. This should work for a couple of months 2 or 3 times a week, then you will need to make adjustments.

There's a book called Starting Strength which is highly recommended. It teaches you the form of all the core barbell exercises but also describes a beginner linear progression. When you are new to training you basically get stronger really fast for a while so you want to ramp up quickly. Unlike Milo, you will not be able to keep this up but it is the most efficient way to take advantage of those newbie gains.

Video your form and compare to some you find on YouTube. Read the book to learn how to fix errors. Form is really important.

In video LTT104, I specifically mention "Starting Strength" as a book to read to gain a full understanding of resistance training. You should definitely do that Rich.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 14:48 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
It's weird but today was one of those "if it isn't on camera, it didn't happen" days. I was counterlooping topspin off the bounce over and over and over. Not always heavy but taking it close to the table. I just seem to understand what my stroke should do better now. Granted I still have to deal with better players but being able to counterloop peers fairly consistently close to the table is progress.

Hopefully when the camera comes, the illusion will still hold.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 16:44 

Brett Clarke wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:
Richfs wrote:

In video LTT104, I specifically mention "Starting Strength" as a book to read to gain a full understanding of resistance training. You should definitely do that Rich.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this in LTT104..

Thanks Brett and Fruitloop, lots of really good info. I'll take a look at Starting Strength.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 18:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think squats are by far the most important TT exercise. A true backhand loop against backspin looks a lot like a squat in many ways. In fact, LTT113 will be called Squat and Thrust and I'm concurrently working on it.

Starting Strength is more than just a manual for resistance exercises. Going to the gym before reading this book is just a bad idea. It's that enlightening!

This exercise will mostly stop you from getting a sore shoulder in TT. Henzell has able to eliminate his shoulder issues with this type of row. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcpY20QaE8

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 18:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
It's weird but today was one of those "if it isn't on camera, it didn't happen" days. I was counterlooping topspin off the bounce over and over and over. Not always heavy but taking it close to the table. I just seem to understand what my stroke should do better now. Granted I still have to deal with better players but being able to counterloop peers fairly consistently close to the table is progress.

Hopefully when the camera comes, the illusion will still hold.

Good one NL!

Making the transition from blocking to counterlooping requires some serious commitment. I'm trying myself.

Counterlooping on the forehand should be the default, in an ideal world. It's a doable thing if you put in the hours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!