OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ball Toss? or Drop!
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 18:12 

There is an asian girl at my club who speaks very little english and is being coached by a very nice Phillipino gentleman who has helped me on occasion. My question is, Is it okay for me the"ROOKIE" to tell him about her illegal toss(or non toss)? Its more of a drop than a toss. I dont want to offend him(or her). I also dont want to see her play a tournament and get called on it.

Also what is the minimum legal toss height? I was told by an older gentleman that the rule had changed years ago to 6 inches but have not read it anywhere and it did not effect me because my toss is normally over 12".

LOOPERS RULE, I'm just trying to keep up!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 19:53 
Super User

Hi Danny

The issue of service seems to be quite difficult. Below is an extract from the ITTF rules 2005/06 which sets it all out.

My experience is that you probably won't win any friends by pointing out service irregularities, unless you are asked or are in a respected position in the club. If you are really worried about what might happen to this player when going to a tournament, then perhaps gently express your concerns to a senior player or your club president - let them make the call.

2.6 THE SERVICE
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's
stationary free hand.
2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without
imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free
hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.
2.6.3 As the ball is falling the server shall strike it so that it touches first his court
and then, after passing over or around the net assembly, touches directly the
receiver's court; in doubles, the ball shall touch successively the right half
court of server and receiver.
2.6.4 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of
the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden
from the receiver by the server or his doubles partner and by anything they
wear or carry.
2.6.5 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm shall be
removed from the space between the ball and the net.
The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite
upward extension.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!