OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 16:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
As Adham has kindly agreed to keep us up to date with new ITTF developments, here is his latest update for the OOAK Forum:

Quote:
New proposed limitations of entries for Olympics:

- It is only for the singles events at the Olympic Games. No change for the Team events, still 3 players per National Olympic Committee
(NOC)
- For singles we are proposing to reduce from 3 to 2 entries per NOC.
- This will allow more NOCs to take part in the singles events at the Olympic Games, which is much desired by all NOCs. So far, since 1988, the average number of NOCs taking part in the table tennis event is around 55. We want to exceed the 60 mark.
- The new rule would also allow more NOCs to win medals.
- The IOC is very supportive of such limitations and we would be joining other sports that limit to one entry (Taekwando) or 2 entries
(Swimming)
- Most sports in individual events (especially combat sports) limit the entries to one per NOC, some limit to 2 per NOC (swimming set the example of reducing from 3 to 2 to reduce the American dominance, this was supported by both the USA and China)

Thanks.

Adham

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 17:56 
VaMP-ire Killer

feels like another plan to help the other countries catch up with the quality of the Chinese Natonial Team. I like the idea, there is a downside where you will have the countries fighting it out to see which 2 players get to the games

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 10:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I can see the reasoning behind this proposal, but can't help but think that whoever gets 3rd place is not really the 3rd best player...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 11:50 
Super User

The objective behind the proposal is not to see the best players get to the Games. It is rather a ridiculous method to distribute medals, not through actual skill and strength competing, but merely by manipulation.

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well they do explain WHY they're proposing it (first post), but I don't know enough about to decide if it's beneficial for our sport or not.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 15:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I don't disagree, but I can see some potential benefits as well:

- Countries other than China have a better chance of a medal... this could be a lift for that country.

- More countries can put in teams, so this would benefits those countries that normally don't get in.

I'd say that having one less player from each country would probably not making it less enjoyable to watch... most of the top players are great to watch, and sometimes the lower ranked players can be just as entertaining...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 16:21 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

jixiaolan wrote:
The objective behind the proposal is not to see the best players get to the Games. It is rather a ridiculous method to distribute medals, not through actual skill and strength competing, but merely by manipulation.

hahaha yes next they will limit the jamacian sprinters to just two

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 22:38 
Super User

jixiaolan wrote:

"Manipulation" seems to be the right word to me. The whole thing is a disgrace. I am sure the vast majority even of non-Chinese players would vote against it, if they could.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 23:00 
Super User

I absolutely agree with speedplay's view.
And I can't help but to believe this is yet another adulterate act of a certain motive. Surely it will hamper the participation of this Olympic Games by more people around the world.

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 23:19 
The Artist
The Artist

Why are people so upset and talk about manipulation? It is nothing new. Manipulation is what we have now, what we will have in the future and what we have always had.

Is it so hard to understand that all through Olympic history there has been a limitation to participants, i.e. a manipulation of the athletes allowed to take part? It is by necessity and that has not changed. The discussed change is for one less player per nation to be allowed to take part as of 2012. The end result is that it enables more nations to take part in Olympic table tennis. I am sure we all agree that that is a disgrace and really, really bad for the sport, don't we?

Most of you talk about the fact that all the best players will not be allowed to take part. Think back, and tell me when they ever were. The limitations have always been in place for the Olympics. The idea of the IOC and the Olympics is to allow a maximum number of nations to participate, not only the top 50 athletes on the world ranking. This is evident in other Olympic sports as well. It is not a table tennis issue alone.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 23:23 
The Artist
The Artist

Smartguy wrote:
I am sure the vast majority even of non-Chinese players would vote against it, if they could.

And I am sure that if they could vote and did the way you assume they would, the IOC would make sure that vote never mattered. The Olympics are run by the IOC in the IOC's interests, not in the world's table tennis players interest.

No matter how much you want to makes this a solely ITTF related issue to discredit them, it will remain a fact that the IOC run the Olympics as they see fit and the ITTF can not force anything on them.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 23:36 
The Artist
The Artist

jixiaolan wrote:
Surely it will hamper the participation of this Olympic Games by more people around the world.

Quite the contrary, it will enable more nations to participate at the Olympics in table tennis.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 00:15 
Super User

brabhamista wrote:
No matter how much you want to makes this a solely ITTF related issue to discredit them, it will remain a fact that the IOC run the Olympics as they see fit and the ITTF can not force anything on them.

On the contrary, I insist, the issue of how many players represent a National Association at the Olympics is indeed a solely ITTF related issue. The ITTF rules support my opinion:

Quote:
4.05.02.02 The Team Match System in team events and the system of play in both team and individual events including any qualifying competitions shall be decided by the Board of Directors, on the recommendation of the Olympic and Paralympic Commission, and all Associations shall be notified in accordance with the schedule set by the IOC.

The Olympic and Paralympic Commission is a body of the ITTF:

Quote:
1.09 OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC COMMISSION
1.09.01 The Commission shall consist of the members of the Executive Committee, the Presidents of Continental Federations or their apointees, the Chairman of the Para Table Tennis Division or his appointee and a representative of the organising committee of the next Olympic Games.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 01:37 
The Artist
The Artist

Smartguy wrote:
On the contrary, I insist, the issue of how many players represent a National Association at the Olympics is indeed a solely ITTF related issue. The ITTF rules support my opinion:

Yes, off course the rules can be read to support your opinion. In this case only because you - sadly, but conveniently - choose to ignore the fact that IOC is part of the equation and the body that ultimately manages and runs the Olympics.

For your logic to work, the IOC will have to have no influence whatsoever about the total number of participants any individual sports send to the Olympics. Do you really believe the IOC has chosen not to have any influence over their own event? Do you really believe that they do not issue at a minimum guidelines to any international sports bodies?

Judging by your argumentation, I guess you do. Anyhow, who am I to stop you from believing that the almighty ITTF is bigger, stronger and can force the hand of the IOC? It is your prerogative, albeit a bit delusional, I am afraid.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 02:20 
Super User

Smartguy wrote:
On the contrary, I insist, the issue of how many players represent a National Association at the Olympics is indeed a solely ITTF related issue. The ITTF rules support my opinion

Insist all you want; you can argue anything if you ignore simple logic. If the ittf said they wanted the team event to have 32 countries, each with 8 players of each gender, the ioc would say no, regardless of what the ittf regulations say.

The olympics is not designed as a pure sporting event or a professional competition, it's a political event. Professional competitions exist in the national/international leagues and the ittf pro tour.