OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

How long are you guys playing?
Under 1 year (I'm a newbie yay) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
1-2 years 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
2-3 years 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
3-4 years 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
4-5 years 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
5-7 years 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7-10 years 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
10-15 years 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
15+ years 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 13:03 
Pants Grabber

for me, its abt 2 yrs of serious table tennis wz study & discussions & proper practice.

the last time i played since i came back to it was in secondary school which is like
19 yrs ago. it was more like street table tennis then, i was smashing bodies while hitting
the table at the same time (joke) hahahaha ..... but it was great fun !!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 15:31 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Playing in the 50s was different. I used a Hock bat. Had to save my money for weeks to get one. Hock bats have a very distinct sound and I bet I could pick one out by the sound today. Wish I still had mine. The playing hall was definattly noiser than today with the hardbats!
There were hardbat hitters and choppers. I was a hitter, blocker, pusher. I was always amazed at the good choppers. Seems they could field anything. Some rallys would go 15 or 20 hits. One thing you can do with a hardbat is flat hits. Real bullets!
When sponge first came out, the extra spin didn't bother me till I got sponge also. But with the sponge, a new world of shots opened up. I was lucky to get help from Ray Mack, #2 in NY or it would have taken years to change from hardbat to sponge if ever. I think he is still rated over 2200.
The east coast,,,NY,,,Pa,,,Ohio were the hot spots then. I went to many Nationals and Eastern opens. Saw Reissman, Bob Goosekoff (sp?) all the big guns play.
I think it was Reissman playing the Canadian Champ and he was back choping to the Canadian. He had the game in the bag so on one shot, Reissman turned and put the ball back with the bottom of his shoe!!! I saw it!!!
The equipment keeps changing but ping pong is ping pong! Fun,,Fun,,Fun!!! :D :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007, 20:59 

Just over 2 years for me. For the last 18 months I have been playing 5-7 times a week, 2-3 hours every time.

-2.0mm Dr. Neubauer Pistol Short Pips
BACKHAND:
-Friendship 837 OX Long Pips

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2007, 02:43 

i would say over the ten mark now perhaps i should change my user name to TEN AND A BIT YEARS STILL TRYING :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2007, 09:43 
Super User

If 10yst has to change his name to 10 and a bit st, then I'd be 34 still trying. Been quite a few breaks in there, and these have mostly come about because of frustration at not being able to improve much. We have never had access to a coach up my way. Mind you, one of the fellows that used to beat me at school is now 'easy meat' as he hasn't been training on and off for the last 30yrs. So I must have improved at least a bit!

I'll be quite happy to be 'still trying' when I give the game up (die?) as one thing I've come to appreciate is that there is always something new to learn. :lol:

I wonder if darts would be any quicker to master :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2007, 11:56 

Hee Hee,,,
I was just looking at the results of the pole,,,,it's 90% "newbees" here. LOL :D :D :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2007, 20:58 
Super User

Hookshot - by 'newbees' I guess you many anyone with less than 15 years playing?

Biggest problem is when these damn noobs start beating you though ... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 00:51 

Yepp Andrefox,,,I've run into that a few times. LOL :D
It's when they are just a little older than my Grandson they bother me.
No respect for their elders,,,, :wink:

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 07:14 
Super User

Our club is presently hosting a visit from 3 other clubs. Each club has 3 teams of 3 players each - I'm in the Div 3 team. One of the other clubs bought 3 very talented juniors for their Div 3 team. They stand innocently at the other end of the table, and then start belting very good loops past your bat. Not only that, the but they can push as well, so the old push heavy BS, push light BS doesn't really cut the mustard for easy points.

I managed to beat them all, BUT it was an all out effort with lots of serves into unexpected places (but NOT long to their forehands!!!!).

It seems that these kids train their forehands for hours, and then work on the other shots so that they are passable. If they front up at the same inter-club challenge next year, they may well be turning the tables. Of course, I'll keep training and learning too so it will be interesting to see who has been getting better quicker!

Oh the joys of grey hair :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 11:01 
A Beautiful Brain

It's amazing how many older folk are here, and also how many are returning after a long layoff...as well as of course young guns!!
I came here searching for an answer to my slowing 63 y/o reflexes, feet and eyes...and ended up experimenting and spending heaps on equipment..
I am now getting close to as good as I can get as far as equipment goes...so the rest is up to me as far as practicing and playing goes...
I have definitely found that Pip rubbers can slow the game down a lot and that keeps me in the point, whereas before I used pips, I was getting hit off the table with their fast loops ......and in slowing the game down they have to play my game, which suits me fine...

fosss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 11:56 
I am Legend
I am Legend

andrefox wrote:
It seems that these kids train their forehands for hours, and then work on the other shots so that they are passable.

It's quite common. Here in Australia it's difficult to keep kids in the sport. So quite often they're trained to have a couple of good shots that they enjoy playing, and once they're hooked work on the rest.

I dare say if you were a kid and forced to work on nothing but your push for a few months, you'd get bored and toss in the towel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 13:58 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Silver wrote:
andrefox wrote:
It seems that these kids train their forehands for hours, and then work on the other shots so that they are passable.

It's quite common. Here in Australia it's difficult to keep kids in the sport. So quite often they're trained to have a couple of good shots that they enjoy playing, and once they're hooked work on the rest.

I dare say if you were a kid and forced to work on nothing but your push for a few months, you'd get bored and toss in the towel.

THAT'S RIGHT!
aLOT OF THE younger kids got really good loops and they can loop all day. When they move back they start chopping. I rarely see them stay on the table and block!
I guess blocking is too boring for them :bball: ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 11:50 

A couple months over a year now, and loving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 14:02 
Super User

metal monkey wrote:
Silver wrote:
andrefox wrote:

THAT'S RIGHT!
aLOT OF THE younger kids got really good loops and they can loop all day. When they move back they start chopping. I rarely see them stay on the table and block!
I guess blocking is too boring for them :bball: ....

Haha, one day early on when I started playing, my coach just made me block, backhand and forehand, for an entire coaching session (two straight hours!). I wasn't angry at all, though, since I could block even the spinniest loops after that. Now, a good 10 years later, I'll sometimes go to a local mostly recreational/low level club and just do nothing but block against people for an hour or so. It's kinda fun in a weird way. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 17:27 

I have been playing for over thirty years now and I still love it. One of the things I like in tabletennis is the huge variaty of equipment and hence diffenrent plaing styles. Two different matches will never be the same. Thats one more reason not to ban LP rubbers. People with rubbers different from normal inverted contribute a lot to the game since they put in another dimension :lol: Back in in seventies where I started my career, funny rubbers were not very common, but since then various special rubbers has seen the light and made the game more interesting.

Flemming