OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 23:31 
A Beautiful Brain

Tonight I was subbing for the number one player in the A reserve grade Season Grand final playoff between 3rd and 4th, which is a significant step up from the B grade that I normally play in...

I knew I was in with a chance as soon as my singles opponent started trying to loop his forehand shots, because the spinnier the opponents rubber, the better I like it... with the Boomerang pips returning the spiniest shots with no worries at all...and of course you know how hard it is to loop a wobbly or reverse spin ball...

Anyway, I did not win the match, but the game count was 5, and the 2 games I won, he self destructed in, with me winning one at 11/5 and another at 11/3!!...

Unfortunately the game that really counted, he managed to land a few desperation smashes that he had been missing earlier, and he got 2 edges and I served 2 faults, the only faults I served the whole match...bu%%er!!!....Luck was just not on my side and the score in the final game was about 7/11 from memory...

I can tell you it was a very brief hand shake from him and he could not look at me .... he just about had smoke coming from his ears...lol :lol:

We lost the Doubles 1/3 with my partner missing easy smashes I had set up for him...also I seemed to lose concentration and made some silly mistakes when I got tired and a bit 63 y/o jelly legged ...

Unfortunately, because the other player in my team (it's a two man team) lost his match in 3, there was no point in playing the other 2 singles matches...so they didn't which I was quite disappointed about.

Thats about all for now and I know it seams like a bit of nothing, but I was really pleased with my efforts in my singles match, despite the loss....

For me it was a significant milestone in my comeback

One great pity about this scenario is that the Boomerang rubber which I am really liking will be banned in July 2008...Bu%%er again...

fosss

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 02:17 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Cool report Foss. I wish I had more comps around here. I drive three hours to do one maybe once every few months. I did take advantage of my short trip to a TT padadise in DC/Baltimore.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 02:53 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Fosssil,,,
Three cheers to you!!! :D
About the pips being baned,,,Have you tried Dr Evil? In OX, it is the slowest I have tried so far with the most reversal.
This week, I put Dr Evil on .6m sponge and the results are just what I was looking for, a little faster, still good reversal on blocks and serve return, just a little grip if hitting and good control.
I think with a lettle EJing you will find a replacement. The other possibility is the new stuff that is sure to come out before the ban.
Sounds like the match was a blast! :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 07:45 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
So you should be pleased Fosssil! That you took the game to 5 sets with an A grade player. Give it one more year and you will be playing in that grade :D

The first time I returned to playing table tennis, after an absence of about 20 odd years I played against a chinese lad (I substituted for a player in A1 in Ballarat), lost in 3 sets with me not even reaching 5 points in all set, I was so demoralized.... but I kept playing and practicing and improving.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a practice match against him, and I won! That made my day. So keep on playing and enter as many pennant and comp as you can. If you compete in the Veterans event and qualify for the squad , we might run into each other in Perth (that's where the Annual Veterans Championship will be held for 2008)... that's one goal I am setting myself for (fingers crossed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 09:47 
A Beautiful Brain

Ha!!...Thanks for the encouragement...like I said it was a bit minor in some respects, but with a bit of luck, I could have had a young A grader going home and bashing his younger brother or similar :lol: ...lol I dont think he would have thought it minor.

Yes Arlene ...I will enter all my local events that I can...The plan for next year is that we are having a "Sunshine Coast Open" Event early in the year I believe, for all of Aussie if anyone wants to come... just a single day event.

Der_Echte, I do feel for you with regard to comp being difficult to get to...I must admit we are a bit lucky here that we have club comps of one type or other on for most of the year except from today until Jan 18th...but with a bit of luck I will play practice once a week with 3 others when I go to a club members place at Flaxton Gardens (a Tea House and Winery), near Montville about 20 mins away on the range above me... He has a huge shed that houses 3 Stiga tables!!! and one of them has a robot attached...its just a top feed robot...ie no ball return and no random placement... but it is interesting.

Speedplay...yes I really do need to do a bit of work to condition my legs...it was not a lot of fun running out of steam at the wrong time...

About the rubbers Hookshot...I do have a Dr Evil OX that I was not too keen on comparatively...one thing that will happen though... is that the good Dr will bring out a tricky rubber that pushes the limits of the test...so I will just enjoy Boomerang while I can...

Thanks for the encouragement,

fosss

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 20:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hey Foss,

Count yourself as one lucky bu%%er living on the sunny coast (luv the Big Pineapple land) and getting to play TT still in your 60's (and beyond?) in B and even A res Grades. I think most others of your age would be on the bowling greens up there (or on the golf course if they are luckier). And our comp down here in Melb doesn't start again until late Feb!! Keep on hitting!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.