OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 04 May 2024, 05:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 07:17 
Super User

speedplay wrote:
sunflex wrote:

Sorry I really don't understand you.

Obviously not, so why do you keep responding to something that you don't understand?

Read the first post in this topic and maybe then you will be able to figure out what the topic is about.

that was the question I've asked myself. But what I would like to know what you question. In the first your talking about super slow but very spinny rubber. And then you say I doubt it would be for me as my skill isn't sufficient to play the game I want with them, due to sensitivity to incoming spin.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 07:48 

Speedplay never blamed equipment!
Hes only searching a Rubber that suits to the style
described in his first post.
And he said that some rubbers aren´t the right ones for him.
I am sure he would play good with them, too, after some time.
But (like me) he seems to search the equipment that suits
perfect for his technique, style or whatever...

Why can´t u understand that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 07:49 

Come on, sunflex, don't be like this.

For me it was entirely clear what speedplay was looking for. Your remark about lack of skill was uncalled for and problably unfounded since I expect you don't know him.

@topic:
In my opinion the ablility to keep chops low and spinny is the prime concern for a chopper. If you give away some of this ability by choosing more difficult equipment for the specific job this will have a negative effect on results even if you get some compensation in other area's of the game.

I would think the superslow inverted rubber will not help in keeping balls spinny and low against an attacker that makes the chopper move from and towards the table with "mixed length and strenght"-loops (into the body). You could get away with it at a certain level depending on skill, but this would probably mean that with a good LP-setup you could play at a higher level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 10:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
An excellent post XenoNL!

I agree with you, some players seem to have the skills to chop with these slow inverted rubbers... so I guess with enough practice it is viable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 17:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I haven't posted in this topic yet because I don't have the knowledge of equipment, especially around slow rubbers to be helpful. But I am very appreciative that there are guys in this forum who do know a heck of a lot that are willing to help pretty much anyone with what they seek. This is because one person can't experience everything (except Haggis comes close :lol: ), so sharing the knowledge and experience is the best way to go. It would be terrible if someone like speedplay couldn't ask this question, even if all he wanted was a second opinion. But to critcise someone for asking a question by saying they don't have the skill so they are trying to blame equipment is not only missing the point of this forum, it is also ignorant I believe. Anyone who reads the forum much would know speedplay seems to be a high class of player, and not one I'd like to play against in anything but a lesson. But even if speedplay was the worst TT player you'd ever seen, it is not in good spirit to do anything but help with his request. There is some joviality in the forum at times between guys who know what others will accept, so wisecracks may be made, but rudeness is never tolerated.
The chat rooms for this sort of stuff are where all the other yahoos are.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 22:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes you're right speedplay! I think you're a little modest saying you're a low level player, but I agree the level of the player does not really matter for this discussion...

Apart from this, we all know that knowledge (of equipment) is often not closely related to skill level at all... We have some excellent coaches here who play in the bottom grades, and have a good grasp on what appropriate for specific styles, and similarly those in the top grade who would not have a clue on what to recommend for other styles...

Anyway... back to the topic... any further comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 22:16 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

My advice on a slow spinny rubber? It depends on what you do with it. Do you stay close to the table and block and chop? I would say Juic 999 def 1.0 and if you are a away from the table retreiver/classic chopper. I would say Butterfly Tackiness Chop 1.3. I have a buddy that has messed with that Super 40 and I think its a good rubber but its VERY slow. To the point where its hard to put anything away. No matter how hard he hit it I could still get it back. Lately I have had great success with Juic 999 elite ultima SV 2.0 on my Dr. Neubauer Special Blade. Close and away from the table. My chops stay low and spinny or to change it up I hang one high and very spinny. Its been great fun. I wouldn't get something too slow because you will lose the ability to hit. If your like me, your def is your off. I get more points off my chops than I do my hits. But it nice to be able to put away a high one when you can.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2007, 22:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Cheers GrumpyJoe!

I curious why suggest a (mildly) tacky rubber close in, but non-tacky away from the table?

I guess with the 1.0mm soft sponge close in, the sponge would bottom out very easily on blocks, making it quite insensitive to spin. But when you chop you could still get very spin?

I did also find the JUIC 999 topsheet quite insensitive to spin, even though it's quite tacky.... not quite sure why...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2007, 00:32 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

You are correct about bottoming out and good control. In the short game the Juic is great. With a flick of the wrist you can put a large amount of back spin while still keeping it low.
The Butterfly does not react that much to incoming spin because it is not too tacky. But does offer great control for away chops and a retreiving style. I got away from it because it just is not fast enough for me. I will sometimes loop a ball back then rush the table for a LP drop shot. More often than not they are expecting me to keep looping with them and when I give them a drop shot they can't handle it. Putting it up for a easy smash.
I also like a fast rubber for blocking because when you use a slow rubber they have more time to react to it. Wear as the faster rubber you can block them out of position and get a softer return.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2007, 06:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Cheers GrumpyJoe, very informative! I don't think we have many (any?) other choppers like this here...

I tend to attack with my inverted (FH) mostly, and use a thick offensive rubber... but I've often considered going for something thinner with good control, so that I can chop effectively on FH as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2007, 04:04 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

on the subject of BTY tackiness C, I can add that (for me at least) it's not too slow to attack with. I use it on a B-setup on thin sponge on the forehand. it's great for pushing and chopping (both close and far from the table), and blocking produces some very slow, very awkward balls (takes all the speed out of almost any attack). These are sometimes even more effective than a fast block, because they break the opponents rythm.

But what I like most are the smashes. IMO this rubber actually hits great! Ok, it bottoms out, but that doesn't bother me, it just adds speed. With tackiness C, my forehand hitting is more consistent and lethal than ever!

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2007, 08:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

If you hit flat, bottoming out is not really an issue, and can actually be an advantage as it makes you less sensitive to incoming spin.

But for more of a loop drive, you greatly improve your margin for error if you can generate some topspin.... and the bottoming out makes this a lot harder...