OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Back to practice
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 01:11 
A Beautiful Brain

Back to TT practice tonight after 3 weeks off and boy was I out of touch...It was embarrassing to say the least...It took me 1/2 the night to get any sort of rally going...
One thing I did notice was that my forehand rubber which I had treated with a veggy oil/sorbolene mix which created a reverse dome 2 or more weeks back performed very well...but the sound was amazing when ever I hit the ball hard my practice partners commented on it all night...they said it sounded like someone teeing off at golf with a driver, and the noise was a real loud "crack" and the comment was was I using a driver, or a cricket bat or a club or a cricket bat...

Anyway...thats about all...Oh...forgot... I knew I missed a lot of balls, but it was painfully obvious when I just played the video I took of the nights training...just as well I improved as the night went on but you can bet I will be stiff in my muscles tomorrow.
I used my Wifes Xmas present which is a Panasonic Lumix DMC Tz3 camera ( a great camera by the way) that enables MPEG videos to be taken at either 30 or 10 frames per second (as do most digital cameras these days) ...The 10fps is quite watchable, and the 30fps looks very good...but has a high megabyte count...

fosss

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 07:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Hah hah, perhaps you mixture worked too well , making it too fast :wink:

Sounds like a good camera.. I would always use the 30fps for TT, in fact I'm keen to find one that can do higher frame rate, but they tend to be expensive..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 10:22 
A Beautiful Brain

Yes Alex...who knows ...but I have only just removed the rubber this morning, and the reverse dome is still there at about 7cm high and the same size as it was 3 weeks ago, so it looks like the dome that is formed with the veggy oil/sorbolene treatment of the topsheet is a permanent thing...
I am going to try it on a sponge to see what happens...
The video at 10 fps at 16;9 perspective looks great and can be freeze framed and frame advance quite well...However as you can imagine, at 30fps there is a major improvement...but all are better than anything I have downloaded from the net...except Greg's videos are better that my 10fps but not better than 30 fps....trouble with the 30 fps is that the file size is too big so it needs to be processed if it was to be downloaded from the net..but processing is no trouble with a program called TMPGEnc 4.0 Express...

I have just made a DVD of the nights training with a program ConvertexToDVD which does a fantastic jobe of converting various types of video files to DVD...Which I will give to my practice partners...

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 10:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds good... I'll know who to ask when I get back into taking vids :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 12:21 
A Beautiful Brain

Alex...I have just downloaded a program that smooths out 10 frames per second videos...it fills the gap with similar pictures and it also does slow mo...and can add as many FPS as you need.
The advantage of the program, (which unfortunately only does avi files which means I had to convert the video first from MOV to AVI) is that if the finished product is Ok( I will know soon after processing) it will allow extended recording time....The camera will only record 22 mins or 2 Gb of 30fps 16:9 one time, but will record 1 hour of 16:9 video at 10 FPS...2gig = 1 hour of 10fps recording.

Stay tuned and I will report...Oh...the program is called Motionperfect...

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 14:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hi Foss,
If you read the thread on cameras I discovered my camera (Pentax Optio S6) is far superior in recording time due to the 4 MPeg format it uses. Perhaps you would be better to think about taking the Lumix back and exchanging for the Pentax S7 (I think its the latest). I can get 2 hours recording from a 2Gb card or at lower quality I get 4 hours. Just a thought. Might save you a lot of mucking around and let you spend more time on getting the vids together to DVD etc.

Cheers,

Reb.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 15:37 
I am Legend
I am Legend

10fps is far too slow for tabletennis.

Post subject: Re: Back to practice
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 20:43 

fosssil wrote:
Back to TT practice tonight after 3 weeks off and boy was I out of touch...It was embarrassing to say the least...

Try 10 years! That's embarrassing...especially as you previous ability seems to increase in your mind with time! I have a TT nightmare about it the other day...trying to loop balls but missing them in a doubles final! oh boy...

Everyone: Is 15 fps any good for TT? That's all I've got (on my camera) unless I take along a laptop and use the webcam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 20:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Persoanlly I'd rather have higher frame rate than resolution... 100fps would be awesome... then you can play it in slow motion 8)