OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2007, 21:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
They really do feel like plastic to me, so you're right they may get slippery. A rubber without sponge I think is the best option personally...

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2007, 21:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, I have tried that. Pulled the topsheet off the sponge of a worn-out Friendship Super FX and glued it (using ordinary speedglue) to the backside of my bat. It feels allright, that is, non slippery. Even without the sponge the rubber is somewhat heavy, so the bat is heavier too (although you get used to it, of course), but the real problem is that the sheet won't stick to the wood for more than a game or two; it probably comes unstuck because it has almost no surface, being glued pips down. Glueing it pips out is no option: lousy feel to your fingertips. So all in all you are right in advising very thin lightweight rubbers (Friendship Super Soft, 1.2 mm, maybe, or Geospin Tacky, or something like that).
Still another possibility would be using anything red (paint, ink or paper) and putting some thin layer of cork on it where your fingers touch the blade. I've tried that out, too. You can glue cork just fine to paper, and paper to wood, using ordinary speedglue. Cork, if it is thin enough, feels great and it will take up your sweat. Only drawback is that when you play with it, it doesn't look very ummm professional... Oh well, I'm not that professional a player anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2007, 22:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A long pimpled rubber without sponge, or even any other pimpled rubber without sponge will stick very well to the blade. Most have a large flat section at the bottom where the label/logo is, which is probably where your fingers would rest.
This is the most that I see pengrip player use here in Australia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2007, 19:04 

Hmmm, I would think that black or red also matters for some frictionless LPs? If you speak to Steve Hall or HN, they would be able to confirm that for you. Ever wonder why HM SS does not come in black or why there is a difference in ratings between HM Original black and red? The answer for the first question is a little too technical for me and I don't have the details but I can try to answer the 2nd question. What Steve told me was that HM Orig black is able to impart a little spin on incoming shots-note the spin rating. In other words, it is slightly less frictionless than the red version; which perhaps explain the fact that black has less disruption and more speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2007, 22:42 
Angel of Abbyss

True but for the frictionless LP's, it depends from the one to another.
For example, the Monster I use is said to be beter in red than in black.
I have tried both and there is a slight difference between red and black.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)