OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2008, 12:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You've certianly got the right mindset to be succesful in TT, as you can see positves in your losses! Makes the game more enjoyable, and certainly helps you improve faster too!

Post subject: Re: My tournament debut!
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2008, 13:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
speedplay wrote:
and even Bogeyhunter would feel the need to play at his best to win.

This bit happened after he got home from the tournament and feel asleep. It was IN HIS DREAMS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you got a lot from the tourney Slippery, well done.

I'm entering my first veterans tourney next month. So no need to play these hotshot kids. Just get to play experienced stagers LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 02:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Given I am in a new league, I am finding similar benefits to a tourney - because all the players are new and with different styles and tactics to what I am used to. So I'm finding I really have to stretch myself to stand a chance. Especially considering we got bumped up a grade.

But I know where you're coming from, and I can't wait to play the tourney next month. I think the fact you get players from all over the place means there is no common theme to the styles that might develop between players of the one club. So you have to be ready for anything. I think the other thing is also in tourneys you get newbies (like me) who don't have a rating. So they can enter the lowest level and if they're good knock everyone's socks off. This means you can come up against far superior players to what you might normally. It also means you might get an easy round or two playing players who are very green.

Like a very famous man once said...
"Life's like a box of chocolates... you never know which one you'll git" :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 04:23 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Don't they have "double round robbins" where you guys play? I never hear you talk about them. I think that is the best tourney format there is.
If there is say 36 players, they put six on a table and they are seeded by ranking. One of the best on each table, one of the worst on each table and one of other rankings on each table so every table has players from bad to real good.
You play everybody on your table. The person that won all his matches goes to table one on the next round. The person that lost all his matches goes to table six next round. Second place guy goes to table two and so on.
Round two everybody on your table is close to your skill level. Again, you play everybody on your table. Usually there are trophys or money for table one and two, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
No matter how good or bad you are, you will play a minimum of 18 games first round and also second round. (match is 3 out of 5) Usually, you will end up playing about 24 per round. That is 48 games, no matter how good or bad you are. That is the way to get your $$$ worth for entry fee and also you get experience against the best players and see why they are so good.
There is one place that has this format two days in a row, (two seperate tourneys) and that comes out to about 96 games in two days!!! Want to see if you are in shape? This is the way. I have seen people in thier 40s leave by 1PM because thier legs wont work anymore. You pretty much play all day 8 AM to 6 PM with short breaks between play.
You have to learn how to eat right, small snacks all day long, no big meals. Energy drinks, bananas, fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, etc.
This format sorts out the players very well, a good player will not get knocked out in an early round just because of seeding and running into a top player in the first round. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 13:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Not sure Hookshot as I haven't played a tourney since I was a kid. I don't think this was the format of the round robin then either.

I know the tourney I am going to play has some events based on roundrobin and some based on KO. I know there will be seedings, but not sure how they'll get used. I guess more will be revealed when I play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 09:38 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Hi Hookshot,

I am so envious of the way your tournament is set up. I agree, that is a good way of getting your money's worth. Playing with all these players from all levels and weeding the best in the end.

Here, you enter Categories that you want to play in. Singles event is $8.00 each, Doubles event is $6.00 each. So for example, my rating will allow me to play in Division 4 , but I would not be allowed to play Division 5 and 6.

So I enter Division 4, 3, 2, 1 and the Women's Open (all singles), that's 5 categories ($8.00 X 5 events = $40.00). If I get knocked off on the first round then at the end of the event, I would have just played 5 matches.... which really sucks for the price entry of $40.00.

Depending on the number of entries, most often though the "Open Event" has a round robin format and that just means, the players are grouped into 3 and whoever wins in that group gets to advanced to the 2nd round and from then on, it's a knock-out system...so nothing like the round robin format that you have in the States.

I think I would apply your system in our little club for a season, and will talk it out with some of the Pennant Coordinators in other clubs.

Arlene

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 10:42 

Hi Arlene,,,
Glad you recognize the benifits. Most tourneys here are single elimination or double elimination. If you lose first round, you go to a losers round and can still work your way to the top. But, nothing works as well as double round robin. The drawback is the time it takes to play. Six on a table is about optimum. If you have 48 players, you need 8 tables.
Tourneys here are set up by rating also. If you are rated 1700, you can enter any event higher than that. That is fair but again, like you said, you may get knocked out early and not get to play many games. Double round robin will let EVERYBODY get all the playing they want or can take. I hope you can get to try it out. You will find people really like it. Even if you only have 24 people, put 5 on a table. You will need to spot good to bad players on all tables for best results. It works well for the new players also because they get to play just as many games as the best players.
Let me know if you try it. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 12:19 
Super User

Hey Hookshot,

So this kind of tournament will entail one entry fee only? And also, will all the "table winners" get a prize?

I will definitely try this out at our club. Last year I implemented a "King of the Hill" format for the Juniors and this idea I got from Auburn Table Tennis club in California. The president of the club (Tim Aquino) was very helpful and answered all my questions about this system and the Juniors really enjoyed last year's season!

There is an event here held annually that I am very glad for. It's a 3 day long week-end event in celebration of the "Queen's Birthday" and it's called Country Week and Table Tennis clubs from all over rural Victoria will send a delegate to Melbourne and we get to play 3 days of table tennis all day... morning you play one club, afternoon another club and so on (round robin of clubs)

I participated a year ago, and I really enjoyed myself that I am now committed to do it every year :) . Again different groupings depending on your level of play and this is determined by your club.

Anyone can play and the best thing is, it's FREE!

Arlene

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 13:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Hi Arlene,

I never played Country Week, but would have loved to. It always seemed it was restricted to those in favour at a club, or maybe only the best.

There wasn't a div 5 or 6 on the entry form for the Geelong tourney. Was it somewhere I missed? I entered div 4 but will probably get killed first round.

Hookshots knockout game sounds great I agree. Does sound like it would take a while though to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 14:48 

Hi Arlene,,,
Yes, one entry fee. The prizes can be awarded for every table or just one. They usually have $$$ or trophys for table one and two, first, second and third. Sometimes certificates for the rest. A new kid that gets a certificate for winning table six is just as happy as the guy on table one.
If you try this even on a small scale, you will see how much playing you get!!!! It will test you! LOL
Didn't mean to steal this thread so I will move it to another section if you guys wish. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 23:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I'm sure Speedplay will handle it Hookshot. We're all friends here and its still on the tourney subject. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008, 18:18 
Super User

Sorry Speedplay :oops: not nice to "hijack" a tread.... anyway, I've PM Reb about "Country Week" info. and I've PM Hookshot about additional questions on this "Doubles Round Robin" Format.

I'm just always keen to know how other clubs/countries conduct their tournaments.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!