OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dear Lord...Why Me?
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 00:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well my other comp got back underway after a break again tonight. This is the two man team with best of 7 sets per game. We played the team that has the coach's nephew in it. Boy is this kid good. He loops and loops and loops, and hits the sides of the table deep with his loops at an uncanny accuracy. He's all of 13 or 14 mind you. My mate played his partner first and went down 4-2. Not a bad effort, seeings as this guy played and won the final at my other club last night in the division above me.

Then I played the coach's nephew. First game was doing alright going neck and neck and lost it 11-9. Second game similar result 11-8 down. Third game I relinquished another point and lost 11-7. 4th game I lost it about 11-5. He was just way too good and I hadn't played someone of his style and looping consistency (from both wings) before.

Next I played the old guy who won the final in B2 at my other club. We started out and I won the first 5 points in a row with him sending a number of pushes long and I think I placed one so deep and near the edge he sent it back into the net. I was cruising! Oops. Oh-oh. He got a point. No problem, keep going. He got another, and another and another. How? He started pushing very consistently and I looped a few at him and he loved them, sending them back solidly. I messed this up a lot and he got 5-5. I went for a few smashes and sent them out of the park airmail! Not a landing in sight. My smashes were off the menu! And I was feeling the effects of so much TT from the night before. Anyway, he ended up taking the game 11-6. Yep, I got the first 5, then only got one more.

Second game very similar to the first (although I didn't get the first 5 points), went down 11-6 again. The third game again played out in similar fashion, and the score was 11-6 AGAIN! Well, I thought this guy has me on toast. He hadn't even noticed to this point I was using pips. He told me how its better to have smooth rubber on both sides, and I copped a bit of a lecture as if I was 15.

Fourth game I decided to try and out-push him, and also try my smashes again, but only when it felt very right to. Now I am a pretty natural pusher and it makes a big part of my normal game, but I am so sick of pushing in TT after 2 nights straight of nothing but pushing, its not funny. So I kept the pressure on and tried to increase my consistency. I started landing some smashes and the game turned. We had been about 5-5 and I got a few smashes in a row down his FH side, which he had absolutely no answer to. The kid I beat 2 weeks ago was sitting watching over the side back behind my opponent and was gasping and oohing and ahhing at the balls that were whizzing past his eyes. (Felt sorry for this kid, because his teammate let him down again and he didn't even get a game tonight). So anyway I ended up winning the game 11-7. I thought well at least I get a point. Only after this game did the guy make a comment about my bat saying "what is that red rubber (the 40s) you got, it's dead, and its s***". I took it as a joke, and thought good, something you don't like!

So the 5th game starts and I am playing back at the pushes and I am out-pushing him a bit and he's sending a few into the net and missing the table a bit, but only after umpteen hits each. I land a few smashes and even played a few half-smashes that I sent wide and won the points without having to exert myself too much and risk over-balancing. That all went well and I won the game 11-8. Once again he told me my rubber was s*** and I should be ashamed of it, this time more emphatically than jokingly.

In the 6th set he tried to tell me it was 2 all. I said no you have 3 and I have 2. Not sure if this was a ploy or not. Anyway we went on pushing and he got me to miss the table a few times, I got a few smashes, he sent one long on a push and we got to where I had 10-8. Beauty I thought. Just got to get one of the next 2. Missed a smash on the first, in an effort to grab the point. In the next one, he pushed me off the table. 10-10. Damn! On the next point, the guy sent down about his 3rd smash for the entire match and he went 11-10. In the next point I smashed on his FH after a few pushes each and went back to 11-11. He got the next point, I got the one after, and it repeated. So we got to 13-13. It felt like this could go on forever. I got the next point as he went for his 4th smash and missed. I thought I have to make the most of this. We got into another pushing stoush and I have to say I was pretty nervous. I got a tiny crack of light on one of his pushes and I smashed across the table from BH to FH with my FH and landed it. I let out a hige shout of joy, that was more pressure release than anything. Once again I got told I had s*** rubbers.

The 7th set was only what you could dream for, and then unrealistically. I served and he pushed both of them off the table, even though my spin serve hadn't bothered him to that point. 2-0, I thought to myself, use it. He served and when I returned he went for his 5th smash and missed. Same thing happened on the next point. This guy who had been winning with his push game, and exhibited no smashing almost at all, was suddenly doing what I did in the first game, and recklessly going for smashes. Suddenly I had 4-0. I remembered the first game and got a bit worried. My next serves he didn't miss the table but and he pushed again for a bit and went for a smash and missed. This went on, with a few pushes missing until I had him 9-0. I eased up a bit, and he got the next point. Not good I thought. Well he had an inch and went for a mile. Suddenly he turned the game and had me making mistakes again. I tried to gather my thoughts and settle down. Horrible feeling! He got it back to 9-6. Then on the next point I pushed it into him and he sent it back into the net! 10-6! Nerves, help me out! So the next point starts with me serving. I send down my standard tomahawk and he pushes it back. We push a few times each and I just can't stand it any more. I went for a smash that perhaps I shouldn't have. I landed it right in the middle of the table about a foot from the end and in a place where he could have put it back. But it was so fast his bat touched it and sent it flying off to my left. Game Over! 4-3. I had felt like I'd won a great battle and had stolen victory from the jaws of defeat.

I let out another huge joyful shout and pressure release. I went up and shook his hand, and he was a bit grumpy looking, but I thought he was ok.

He made some more comments about how s*** my rubbers were. I told him I was just happy to get a win tonight after losing the final last night. He told me I was nothing special. I said I know I'm not. He said in fact you're s***, and certainly no champion. At this point I said, hey fair go, why get this way? He said I started it by bragging. I said I wasn't bragging I was just happy. He wouldn't accept this, so I walked away wondering why it is I keep meeting these people that get nasty when they lose.

I lose often, and I just accept that it happens. I can't ever recall abusing someone for beating me. I lost a game tonight. Was I happy about it? No. In fact I got beaten by a kid who plays division 1 and plays in Div 3 just for the fun and practice. A part of me feels this is unfair, but I also know the comp would be one short if he didn't play too. And I also know it has to be good facing better players. And after all, if there was no losing, we would also not know winning. They go hand in hand. I just don't understand why when I beat people lately they end up cracking it on me. If I taunted them openly or something, well then I'd understand it. The only thing that could be seen as taunts tonight to this guy was my 2 shouts after winning the last 2 games. And this was nothing to do with him, it was me reacting to my own feelings.

Anyway I was so consumed by his attitude I completely forgot we had doubles still to play. I was buggered, and could barely raise my bat. My mate was far from on his game as well. So we went down 4-0. So my one little victory for the night against them winning all the other matches, was jaded by this guys attitude. Although I am still basking in the glory of beating one of the B2 premiers who will now be a B1 player, when I am still in B3, LOL. :D

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 03:06 
VaMP-ire Killer

if that was me, he wouldbe pissed caus of my constant "comon!"'s (im trying to erase all talking/self dicpline, but its hard lol) and if I got called s*** I wouldnt of left it there, in fact if that was me, they could of been some blood lol

all I can say to you mate is just F*** em, I cant sand losing caus I know ive played it wrong, I dont get pissed off when I lose to some1 better to me, I get pissed off at myself. But some1 who cant acept the fact that although he thinks he is the s***, and he won the title, it dont mean he can win every flipin match

i feel for you, I just wish people like that would wake up and smell the F*** coffee: it dont matter what your using, how old you are or what your skill level is, if you win YOU DESERVE IT, if you lose, respect you lost to the better man

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 03:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Couldn't have said it better myself Skull. Its been a hell of a few weeks of TT and beating this guy tonight in what felt like the comeback of the century, I couldn't contain my excitement. I wasn't trying to belittle him by bragging, even though he had been doing it to me. I didn't want to lower myself to his level. This guy I have been friendly to since I met him a month or more ago. And he has been friendly back. But the way he sneered and scorned at me when he said "You are s***!" I have lost all respect for him. And believe me I felt like whopping him after all that I've copped lately, but I'd probably have had no choice but to leave the club for good.

The guy that runs the comp won't want to know about this. My teammate even took some convincing this guy said what he said. He had heard a couple of the s*** rubber comments and thought he was joking. When I asked him if he heard he said yeah he was just joking. When I tild him what else he hadn't heard, he couldn't believe it. He said as I had thought, but he's a nice guy.

When I was playing the kid, my mate was scoring and talking as he is prone to, and was stuffing up the score. So I just said "please stop talking". And apparently this old guy had said.. "he takes his game too seriously..we're not playing for sheepstations". Ha! SO why did he get agro? :lol: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 03:32 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
I had read this post Reborn, thats what made me decide to go ahead with my negative tactics post. Was just one of those days. And I agree with Skull, and you, its fun, but I take it seriously.

And yes, I do get pissed when I lose, but only i I lose because I have played a s*** game, when I know I could have played better, when I give away stupid silly points that I could have saved. I get really mad at myself, but even then, I never make a complaint about the equipment, I mean lets say someone is using dead rubbers, then I just will myself to find a way around them. Won't cuss at him, but I will get angry at myself for losing because of stupid mistakes.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 03:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Mate my rubber is about as Dead as you or I! Its 729-40s and its quite new and quite grippy. He was happy when I was dumping in the net of his chop, but when I chopped back and he did it, he was getting pissed. Half the time it was coming off my black 979, he just couldn't tell the diff. The 40s is so Dead (not), I could be pelting winner smashes past him with it. And on top of this its on my Hurricane King which is not slow enough to let a rubber be dead LOL. He actually made the comment at one point that it was like I was using anti! So what if I was! But the fact is the 40s is very grippy and when I did chop with it and send it back over the net, just sometimes it caught him out how much spin had built up. The guy was just a Nong, who didn't like that I got a handle on his pissy-pushing game, and beat him at it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 08:30 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Trash talking tends to make me play unwell and I also can't stand it. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 15:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Takes all the fun out of the game too Yuzuki! A good game fought between players of similar skill is fun no matter who wins, and there will always be points to be proud of even if you lose. But someone who becomes nasty when they start losing (funny they never seem al that nasty when they are winning) just makes the game more of a chore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 19:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You gotta change clubs Reb... sounds like a lot of bad apples there! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 22:35 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well Haggisv, I would, but its out of the question unfortunately. There is not other clubs within reasonable travelling distance. But the one good thing is next season at the 3 man comp none of the bad apples should be there, they should have gone up and out of our hair. At the 2 man comp, which is another club, everyone is usually friendly. I've thrashed some guys that didn't like being thrashed, but certainly didn't utter abuses. There was only the kid who sulked for an hour, and at least he went and just sat quietly on his own. Funny thing is, the win against this guy last night was the closest game by far I've had for the season, and maybe my best ever comeback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 22:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
You gotta change clubs Reb... sounds like a lot of bad apples there! :wink:

Maybe I should move to somewhere like Adelaide??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 11:29 
Super User

Being gracious in victory and also gracious in defeat. I find these hard skills to learn (as do many others it seems!).

I find it really interesting how table tennis reveals things to me (and others) about my character, and also about the character of others.

One of life's little insight opportunities I guess!

AF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 13:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Andre, I've never had a problem being gracious in defeat, and in victory I also don't usually like to go overboard in front of the person I've beaten because I know they're not going to be feeling great about it. Showing a little excitement when you win is natural and not being bubbly when you lose is too. Nothing wrong so long as you don't go to extremes in either (at least until you are out of sight of anyone that may be offended anyway).

As you say though, it seems there are many people who have never learnt these skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008, 15:57 

tomorrow, any chance of game at the club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 05:30 

Yeah, I feel sorry for you. We have such characters in France too. Fortunatelly it's pretty rare. Just try to keep focused onto your game, I know it's difficult..., when he starts trash talking, and if eventually you win, victory is even sweeter.
I had one of these for my most important match of the season this year. This was for last qualification place to the french veteran championship. The winner takes it all. The guy was better ranked and obviously expected anything but defeat. I took the first set easily and the nasty words started to fly. I went to the zone, mentally tuning the "bittersweet symphony" (the verves) in my mind. It's a trick I sometime use to keep concentration. The guy was getting more and more upset. And the more he was the best I felt. I didn't even answered. Never looked at him, just the ball and his paddle. And finally won 4/1.
This turned out a stressful situation to a very good moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 21:40 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
There is this one guy that I play regularly at the club, he is a really good player and we are also good friends. And we gloat big time each time we beat each other. We remind each other of it afterwards, we tell each other to not feel too bad, like, son, its ok, stick to it and soon you will know how to play as well. etc etc.

Its all good fun, and we do it during the game even at times. We def try to mess each other up during the game.

He is a self-talker and I roar each time I miss a shot or make a stupid mistake, so we play off on each other.

We even work at the same place.

And no, thats as far as it goes, in case any smart alecs are thinking of a smart comment. :P

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com