OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 13:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Grounding (cementing) the skills series?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 13:25 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Brett Clarke wrote:
This week is the start of ttEDGE's commitment to 2 videos per week ongoing. LTT63 is Ben Taylor's first attempt at making a video. It's only semi serious however the Wiggle Wobble is a legitimate shot and has won me many points. It is an amazing feeling when totally fool an opponent. Here is the YouTube version which is a little less serious, but that's part of ttEDGE I guess.

Nice Vid :clap:

How is Ben involved in TT Edge? Is he also a forum member?

As you would be aware, Ben's old club is Warrnambool which is one of the 3 other clubs that my own club competes against in our annual Interclub Shield where the top 3 players from each club are represented. Ben was far above our level and they have won the shield for many years running however now that he's not there, things have become a lot closer so this year we're hopeful of giving it a shake.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 13:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Cobalt wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
This week is the start of ttEDGE's commitment to 2 videos per week ongoing. LTT63 is Ben Taylor's first attempt at making a video. It's only semi serious however the Wiggle Wobble is a legitimate shot and has won me many points. It is an amazing feeling when totally fool an opponent. Here is the YouTube version which is a little less serious, but that's part of ttEDGE I guess.

How is Ben involved in TT Edge? Is he also a forum member?

As you would be aware, Ben's old club is Warrnambool which is one of the 3 other clubs that my own club competes against in our annual Interclub Shield where the top 3 players from each club are represented. Ben was far above our level and they have won the shield for many years running however now that he's not there, things have become a lot closer so this year we're hopeful of giving it a shake.

Here's a little info about Ben Taylor.

I estimate his USATT rating to be 2250-2350. He is a professional table tennis coach. This means he makes a living from teaching table tennis. He doesn't just call himself a "Pro". Ben is also a student of mine and he assists me with coaching the Australian Men's Team.

When Ben makes videos, we will always work on the content together. For the last couple of weeks we have been working on DTTS. I really want this series to mean something and give members real value and understanding of how to take shots and build a game around them. The concepts have evolved from my development as a private and public coach over the last 25 years.

Ben will join this forum and answer questions.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:09 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Great first content for Ben, Brett. I haven't played him since he was a Junior (I think he was 17) but he was pretty useful back then - very hard work to beat.

He'd probably get a bit out of joining a forum like this though - Lots of different points of view that aren't as..... set in their ways as some of the club players can be.

Let me know if you guys would like to come up to Queensland at any point and I'll do what I can to facilitate! Did the same for Will back when he was playing and coaching.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 01:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nice work Ben! We're looking forward for more.

I think instead of trying to loop a lower ball today I'm going to try and spin a ball up. I'm not even going to try the deception, I think the spin enough will do it for my opposition :devil:

Edit: Well it didn't work. I got decent spin on one ball and he clobbered it :) You know it might actually be a shot I was missing but it might be something I can try when I'm hopelessly out of position.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 08:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Nice work Ben! We're looking forward for more.

I think instead of trying to loop a lower ball today I'm going to try and spin a ball up. I'm not even going to try the deception, I think the spin enough will do it for my opposition :devil:

Edit: Well it didn't work. I got decent spin on one ball and he clobbered it :) You know it might actually be a shot I was missing but it might be something I can try when I'm hopelessly out of position.

I've imagined a bunch of players trying this today against serves etc. It's a pretty funny thought. The wobble should only be used when absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 12:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hah I only did it once and without a doubt it was the only shot I could try! I don't have a backhand at my knees that I can loop up just yet :rock:

I was and back wide on the forehand and the guy blocked my loop nice and short. It came off of the table and all I could do was get the spin on it. I made him move, at least!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 13:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Brett Clarke wrote:

Love it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 17:04 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Behind schedule...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 20:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Behind schedule...

True. Ben is working on a fairly interesting video.

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 01:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

A new video from TTEdge Unbending the Arm Series:

There is some progress as I can now swing this way against a light topspin ball. Previously I could do this only against a slow backspin one. However, when I do regular practice with a human partner my arm is bent at around 80 degrees most of the time. The current strategy to overcome this is to play with robot gradually decreasing time between shots. I will try to do some random footwork with the robot next week as well. I found that when I try to force backswing during the regular practice it destroys the stroke completely. So I merely make sure that I move myself to maintain the correct distance to the ball, turn my shoulders and relax my arm, hoping that someday it will unbend and I will swing like Wang Liqin :)

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 01:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Since I always try to get my swing to cover the ball, when I look at swings like fastmover's, I always wonder what the looper is thinking.

In fact, I suspect if you fixed your swing and made it cover the ball, any problems using your swing against a topspin ball would largely disappear.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 02:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Since I always try to get my swing to cover the ball, when I look at swings like fastmover's, I always wonder what the looper is thinking.

In fact, I suspect if you fixed your swing and made it cover the ball, any problems using your swing against a topspin ball would largely disappear.

I don't quite get what you mean.

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 02:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

Do you mean go over the top of the ball instead of going straight up on the finish? I swear the finger placement looks off on those shots too. I can't pause it to prove it tho.

Edit: I'd be careful with this practice. You are not keeping low enough, finger position seems a little off and your balance is off center. These are the mistakes I tend to make with the robot on a static ball. My solution is to add in 1 backhand every 3-4 forehands. Keeps you honest.

Edit2: While I think there is a fair amount you need to correct I must say good job on posting this video and showing. You will have a better forehand for it and will stop bad habits sooner. I'm inspired to post video also now.

Attachments:
paused.png
paused.png [ 216.11 KiB | Viewed 2173 times ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 02:32 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I don't quite get what you mean.

Your finishing position just looks weird to me. My salute tend to fold over the ball while yours looks more vertical. Almost as if you are swinging upward and not forward. But it is just the way it looks to me, it seems to be putting the ball on the table so it can't be as bad as it looks to me. You might be making it work with some fade sidespin but I am just talking about what it looks like to me. Your forehand should face the left wall more when the stroke finishes.

I see that Russ feels the same way so it is not just me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 568  Next