OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 19:55 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
pgpg wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:
I don't know what 2200 really represents but there are loads upon loads of Veterans in Europe who started as adults and play very high level table tennis. Can take sets off professional and compete with semi professional players level. They've been playing for 20+ years or more though so perhaps they aren't who you meant?

'2200' mentioned above is USATT 2200, which is around 1800-1900 TTR (German rating system) - perhaps it's a better reference point.

Yeah where I play we do not have a rating system so it's difficult for me to have a reference point.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 22:44 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
FruitLoop wrote:
pgpg wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:
I don't know what 2200 really represents but there are loads upon loads of Veterans in Europe who started as adults and play very high level table tennis. Can take sets off professional and compete with semi professional players level. They've been playing for 20+ years or more though so perhaps they aren't who you meant?

'2200' mentioned above is USATT 2200, which is around 1800-1900 TTR (German rating system) - perhaps it's a better reference point.

Yeah where I play we do not have a rating system so it's difficult for me to have a reference point.

Have you met/played any German players? Know somebody else who did? Since you are in Europe, chances are you've run into at least a couple of them :). Ask their TTR, pretty much every German player has it in my experience. That should give you a reference point to compare to veterans you mentioned above.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 01:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

fastmover wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
You'd expect the defender to be at a disadvantage once the match goes to expedite, but here we have the opposite. Does this mean the defender should have attacked more right from the beginning?

Iskandar

I don't know, my impression was that Pesotska lost the opportunity to attack only when she was comfortable to and could not keep up with her opponent. This tactical cat and mouse play is the reason why this particular match settled in my memory. For this particular reasons I enjoy watching the women's defenders matches: unless they face CNT, the attacker cannot simply overpower the chopper with sheer brute force and have to find other ways to win.

Ah... Just watched up to the third game in the match. Pesotska doesn't seem to have a commanding opening loop, so she ends up pushing a lot (which is how the match ended up in expedite). When it was in expedite she STILL didn't start attacking more, even when she was serving, she'd push a lot. Li turns out to have a stronger attack than she did, and it was probably a matter of too many loose pushes.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 02:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
iskandar taib wrote:
fastmover wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
You'd expect the defender to be at a disadvantage once the match goes to expedite, but here we have the opposite. Does this mean the defender should have attacked more right from the beginning?

Iskandar

I don't know, my impression was that Pesotska lost the opportunity to attack only when she was comfortable to and could not keep up with her opponent. This tactical cat and mouse play is the reason why this particular match settled in my memory. For this particular reasons I enjoy watching the women's defenders matches: unless they face CNT, the attacker cannot simply overpower the chopper with sheer brute force and have to find other ways to win.

Ah... Just watched up to the third game in the match. Pesotska doesn't seem to have a commanding opening loop, so she ends up pushing a lot (which is how the match ended up in expedite). When it was in expedite she STILL didn't start attacking more, even when she was serving, she'd push a lot. Li turns out to have a stronger attack than she did, and it was probably a matter of too many loose pushes.

Iskandar

Yes, but Pesotska still managed to win the first two games, despite her technical shortcomings: inability to loop against the chops two times in a row.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 02:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Come to think of it, Pesotska was forced by the expedite rule to attack sooner rather than continue to push, and ended up making mistakes well before the 13th shot. Before the expedite rule was in effect she could push and wait, she didn't have that luxury after the rule in effect. By the way, Li was ahead by several points in the second game when expedite was called. Pesotska was able to score several points while expedite was in force, mainly by forcing Li into errors, and eventually won that game. So, while in most cases, the expedite rule would favor attackers rather than choppers, in this case the attacker was that strong of an attacker. While it forced both players into attacking more, it worked out better for Li because she was actually the better attacker of the two.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 01:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

In the long run, learning to play correctly will be your greatest asset. I know you don't agree with this (it says so in your signature)

Well, the signature is mostly a joke :) I have no doubt that improving technique is very important in the long run, I am just trying to find ways to better use the technique that is already there.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 09:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I think a great example of how the outcome of a match can be decided by these factors is the Euro 2018 women's finals between Li Qian (defender) and Pesotska (attacker). From my perspective every point there was lost or won due to those micro-decisions: which ball to attack and how. For example, the match changed massively after the expedite rule, which affects exactly this aspect: the server got forced to attack, and it turned the tables completely. Before the expedite, Pesotska led 2:0, then lost 2:4. You may argue that Pesotska's forehand against chop was meh, which is true, but I doubt any of the TTEdge's members in this threads are (or ever will be) close to Pesotska's overall technical level, she is probably USATT 2600 at least.

Okay, I just watch some of this match and I think it actually proves my point. Pesotska doesn't have great technique against backspin and she is unfortunately forced to try something else.

Against slow chop, you must roll your torso a long way back and around, then up and around (as per LTT99). The straighter arm should act as a whip from the shoulder joint. If Pesotska had this shot, she wouldn't have to resort to "tactics". Instead, she would just destroy the opponent.

In the video below, Ma Long demonstrates how to use the torso in a pretty clear way. When you have a forehand technique like this, you can do whatever you want. All options are now on the table. Watch how the torso works the arm.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 09:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I think a great example of how the outcome of a match can be decided by these factors is the Euro 2018 women's finals between Li Qian (defender) and Pesotska (attacker). From my perspective every point there was lost or won due to those micro-decisions: which ball to attack and how. For example, the match changed massively after the expedite rule, which affects exactly this aspect: the server got forced to attack, and it turned the tables completely. Before the expedite, Pesotska led 2:0, then lost 2:4. You may argue that Pesotska's forehand against chop was meh, which is true, but I doubt any of the TTEdge's members in this threads are (or ever will be) close to Pesotska's overall technical level, she is probably USATT 2600 at least.

Okay, I just watch some of this match and I think it actually proves my point. Pesotska doesn't have great technique against backspin and she is unfortunately forced to try something else.

Against slow chop, you must roll your torso a long way back and around, then up and around (as per LTT99). The straighter arm should act as a whip from the shoulder joint. If Pesotska had this shot, she wouldn't have to resort to "tactics". Instead, she would just destroy the opponent.

In the video below, Ma Long demonstrates how to use the torso in a pretty clear way. When you have a forehand technique like this, you can do whatever you want. All options are now on the table. Watch how the torso works the arm.

It would be a courageous person who says that Ma Long's swing is too big or too long. Should he just use a small hip movement instead of having this monster size swing? Or does he just let form follow function because of the time he has?

Is it impossible for an adult to move their torso back and around this way? Is it impossible for Pesotska, or does she just need to learn the technique? If she did learn the technique, what would she do to this chopper. If she could download and install Ma Long's forehand technique, what tactics would she use against the chopper.

Everyone is capable of getting better in my opinion. It doesn't matter if you are Henzell, Pesotska or an adult learner reading this post. I'm not saying that everyone can hit the ball as well as Ma Long, but you can head in that direction.

Resorting to pushing tactics because you can't learn a correct forehand is unacceptable to me. Learn to spin your torso and find your forehand.

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 18 Nov 2018, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 09:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Would Pesotska win if she had a TT edge shirt on?

I actually enjoy hitting vs choppers because you can just go max forehand and destroy the ball with spin or speed, depending on the ball. This one guy at the club requires me to do so for about 20 minutes every weekend because he can't find anyone to spin it quite like me.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 09:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I am thinking now more about the following. Suppose that you have sound technique of the forehand loop and the backhand counterhit. Then how should you use these shots in a competition to win? What is the optimal strategy at a particular level? The most general answer is probably to loop as soon as possible with a lot of spin. This could be the optimal strategy at 2700-level, but maybe not at 1600-level.

For example, suppose that I play someone who can't attack a reasonable push from the backhand corner. What I notice often is that if don't attack immediately, but make a few pushes there and attack only afterwards, I am more likely to win the point outright. The reason is probably because if I attack immediately, they will know that a loop is coming, and be ready. When they don't know when exactly the attack is coming, it is more surprising and difficult to defend. I can also generate a better shot because I have more time and the ball has less residual junk-side-who-the-hell-knows-what spin from the serve or serve return. I don't know if it is a good strategy in general (probably not), but it can be effective against a particular opponent. This is just a random observation how smarter usage of the available tools can be the difference between beating myself using my own strengths and winning the point.

For you, the optimal strategy at 1600 would still depend on your personal range of shots. You have a naturally looping game and I doubt that pushing and blocking would immediately work for you. You'd have to work a lot on coordinating LTT81 & 82 type stuff before it become strong enough to beat everyone at 1600. I do however believe that pushing and blocking is the most effective strategy <2000 or so, providing you have solid pushing and blocking technique. Looping is generally more fragile.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 09:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Would Pesotska win if she had a TT edge shirt on?

I actually enjoy hitting vs choppers because you can just go max forehand and destroy the ball with spin or speed, depending on the ball. This one guy at the club requires me to do so for about 20 minutes every weekend because he can't find anyone to spin it quite like me.

I have to get you a ttEDGE shirt asap! I was in Australia last night and forgot to look for one as I was rummaging through my bags. Now I've left and I'm concerned about the consequences.

I have this strange urge to come to Vegas and give you a few TT lessons.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 10:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
At 1600 level and below the optimsl strategy is almost always to push and block and let your opponent miss. At 18-1900 or higher usualky it's optimal to topspin asap, unless the ball is funky or you are out of position for some reason.

We have all played guys who are 2500+ in the warmup, and then can't play points. There are also people who have crazy looking strokes, but their game all fits together. I think Brett's point is true that there is only a very small range of technique variation that can get you to 2300 or higher. But realistically no adult learners ever make even 2200. There was a thread on mytt and nobody knew of a single person who did.

So while technique is everything, it also may not matter that much.

Most of the time, I've found that if someone plays 2500+ in the warm up, then they are exactly that. There would be massive holes in someone who plays <2000

I hear your point about adults struggling to make 2200. I think this would be especially true in the US, Canada, Australia and less true in Europe and Asia. Isolation issues are much more common in large countries which don't have a great TT culture.

Whatever the case actually is, I don't really care. There is still a range of correct ways to play backhand and forehand, so I'll keep chipping away at it. I've seen people improve.

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 18 Nov 2018, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 10:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PTTP05 is now available on ttEDGE.com

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 10:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett despises tactics. And 95% of the time I agree. Today I played five hours at this club in Arlington Virginia. My first match was vs a 1600ish guy. I destroyed him. My last match was vs a 2200+ guy. He destroyed me. Tactics mattered not at all in either of those matches.

In between I played a guy I have seen plenty but never played before. We are both around 1950ish. He has a monster fh. It's by far his best shot. My fh is my best shot also, my backhand sucks. But his backhand sucks at a whole other level below mine. So I tried to play for bh-bh rallies instead of setting up my fh as much as I usually do. It went five sets and the scores were 14-12, 11-9, 9-11, 12-14, 13-11. 116 points and I won 59-57. When opponents are that close that two points out of 116 is the difference, then I think tactics matter. When the outcome is so marginal, everything matters. That doesn't happen very often. But it's a hell of a lot nicer to win those matches than lose them.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 10:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett despises tactics. And 95% of the time I agree. Today I played five hours at this club in Arlington Virginia. My first match was vs a 1600ish guy. I destroyed him. My last match was vs a 2200+ guy. He destroyed me. Tactics mattered not at all in either of those matches.

In between I played a guy I have seen plenty but never played before. We are both around 1950ish. He has a monster fh. It's by far his best shot. My fh is my best shot also, my backhand sucks. But his backhand sucks at a whole other level below mine. So I tried to play for bh-bh rallies instead of setting up my fh as much as I usually do. It went five sets and the scores were 14-12, 11-9, 9-11, 12-14, 13-11. 116 points and I won 59-57. When opponents are that close that two points out of 116 is the difference, then I think tactics matter. When the outcome is so marginal, everything matters. That doesn't happen very often. But it's a hell of a lot nicer to win those matches than lose them.

I totally agree with your post. If someone has a bad backhand then you need to play lots of balls there. If someone can't return your backspin serve, then it's bad to serve all topspin. If someone can't flick and keeps popping up your topspin serve, then you need to serve all topspin.

What I can't stomach is someone playing 1500 and looking for tactics to beat everyone. This player needs to learn how to play a proper backhand, forehand and serve. It's impossible to play 1500 and have a good backhand, forehand and serve.

I bench coach quite a bit for Heming Hu. He's ranked 120 in the world so it's a bit of a responsibility. I would literally never talk to him about technique before or during a match. That would be incredibly stupid and incompetent. We obviously talk about tactics during a match. But, more importantly, I try to get him playing his own game.

Here's the type of stuff I may say to him after the first game.
- You need to serve more straight backspin to stop him from banana flicking.
- You need to 3rd ball attack to the middle more
- You need to banana flick to the middle.
- Return short and get in with your topspin game
- He's serving long and you need to loop it
- After he plays a forehand, get the ball into his backhand
- Spin the first ball heavy and take the pace off it.

The list goes on an on. What I'd never say is "spin your torso down and around" etc. Anyone who talks about technique between sets is incompetent.

But I did just send the Ma Long against chop video to him with some instructional stuff attached. Everyone needs to increase their range.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 568  Next