OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 10:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

When you have a lot of time against a defender, you can do whatever you want. The same is true if you anticipate early and get lucky. In real situations, you'll have very little time and you'll need to use efficient footwork patterns. It's best just to practice the most efficient patterns immediately so you can cover the 80% of balls when you need to make up time in a real match.

In upcoming videos, I'll show you what I believe are the most efficient patterns, so you can train them, even during exercises where you have time and/or you know in advance where the ball is going. Knowing where the ball is going in advance allows you to move in a way that will never ever work in a match, unless you are an unbelievably good guesser or you have play a little too much Table Tennis Edge.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 10:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I have a question about LTT29 (forehand pivot). Is there any way for us amateurs to do it effectively by jumping with both legs without bringing them together (i.e. a large sidestep)? I used to pivot using this step a long time ago, and it works fine if the ball does not come too widely in my backhand. However, when the ball is wide I get cramped as I can't jump far enough with both legs. I also feel that I don't have time to make a shuffle step in game situations, especially against a fast push (I try to pivot on the third ball). So I wonder what should I do: relearn to do pivot as in LTT29 or wait until I become strong enough to jump far with sidestep.

He had a lot of time to play the shot. Unless you are playing a defender, you won't have that time. It's perfectly okay to walk around the corner and launch into the ball when you have a lot of time. It's not okay to teach someone that technique as players will rarely have the opportunity to make that shot. 80% of the time, you'll need to use efficient footwork. See above post.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 10:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett, that is a good point. Honestly, when I first saw LTT29 I was totally puzzled. Previously I assumed that pivot movement was no different from regular side-to-side jump and nobody ever told me that it was not quite optimal pattern. I will give LTT29 a shot and see how it goes.

BTW, does Ma Lin practice LTT29 sort of pattern in this video?

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 11:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett, that is a good point. Honestly, when I first saw LTT29 I was totally puzzled. Previously I assumed that pivot movement was no different from regular side-to-side jump and nobody ever told me that it was not quite optimal pattern. I will give LTT29 a shot and see how it goes.

BTW, does Ma Lin practice LTT29 sort of pattern in this video?

Ma Lin moves his right leg into position perfectly as he is turning his shoulder simultaneously (watch from side on). That's the key takeaway from the pivot conversation.

He's slightly ahead of schedule as he knows where the ball is going. I was slightly ahead in LTT29 too. It means he sort of planted his left leg early on the forward swing and then moved it again to continue momentum as he played the shot. You may have seen something a bit different if he didn't know where the ball was going, but this is well in the range of acceptable footwork in training.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 11:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks for a detailed clarification. This video puzzled me as well, even before LTT29. Now things click.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 11:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Thanks for a detailed clarification. This video puzzled me as well, even before LTT29. Now things click.

No problem.

I was confused about pivot technique for my entire playing career, which was about 25 years. If I could go back 20 and teach myself the pivot, I know I'd have had much better results. I use to step around, put all my weight on my right leg (I'm left handed), get stuck and spin the ball up high in desperation. Good players would make the counter-spin even with the 38mm ball. I needed to put all the weight onto my left leg, then step away and into the ball as I was playing the shot.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 00:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I used to make a soft pivot forehand on the 3rd ball and people took advantage of it. The quest to improve quality of the shot ultimately led me here. Now it is time to make some LTT42 shadow practice.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 01:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
So we got no new videos for last week. Seems like a 2 videos every two weeks schedule. Might be OCD for pointing this out but I sometimes get asked to justify the value of a month subscription to people too timid to send videos to Brett.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 06:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'd say some of the value is that you can review older videos still. I think more important is to support future videos by making sure the $ is coming in.

I kept my subscription going through a torn Achilles and now through a reasonably sprained ankle. I support TTEdge for more than just 'what have you done for me lately?'

You should check out twitch and see just how many people subscribe(pay) to watch other people play video games when they don't need to. Kickstarters, gofundme, twitch subscriptions and more keep this new media thing going...

Also quality over quantity is pretty important to me. I'm glad they're taking the time to make good videos that present a narrative on how to improve one's game.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 06:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
I'd say some of the value is that you can review older videos still. I think more important is to support future videos by making sure the $ is coming in.

I kept my subscription going through a torn Achilles and now through a reasonably sprained ankle. I support TTEdge for more than just 'what have you done for me lately?'

You should check out twitch and see just how many people subscribe(pay) to watch other people play video games when they don't need to. Kickstarters, gofundme, twitch subscriptions and more keep this new media thing going...

Also quality over quantity is pretty important to me. I'm glad they're taking the time to make good videos that present a narrative on how to improve one's game.

We need more customers in the world like you, Russ. We need more like you. Some people I know just download the videos using an app and then drop the membership. Sad but true.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 06:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
So we got no new videos for last week. Seems like a 2 videos every two weeks schedule. Might be OCD for pointing this out but I sometimes get asked to justify the value of a month subscription to people too timid to send videos to Brett.

No, waiting a week is well within the normal range, so I won't call you OCD for that. 5 minutes is abby normal. Don't ask where the line is drawn, you know it when you see it.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 07:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Considering how little real technique change occurs over time, there is no need for new videos. There is enough content on ttedge now that if someone actually mastered it all they would be playing at least 2300+. So at this point adding new content is more about perception of value than actual value. It's fun to watch a video, and it makes you feel like you did something to improve, so I guess there is entertainment value there.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 07:08 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

No, waiting a week is well within the normal range, so I won't call you OCD for that. 5 minutes is abby normal. Don't ask where the line is drawn, you know it when you see it.

I waited much more than 5 minutes if you are looking at the average time to produce a video. You just are doing the math differently from me.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 08:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Considering how little real technique change occurs over time, there is no need for new videos. There is enough content on ttedge now that if someone actually mastered it all they would be playing at least 2300+. So at this point adding new content is more about perception of value than actual value. It's fun to watch a video, and it makes you feel like you did something to improve, so I guess there is entertainment value there.

Suppose so but I also learn new things that I missed the first time around with new content. It's like learning one video at once is just too much for me.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 08:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

Indeed. A technical aspect shown in a 5-minute video may require months of practice to get any tangible progress. It is difficult to work on more than a few things even when practicing 4-5 times per week. LTT series already has 65 videos, so...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 568  Next