OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I'll make you a deal. You work with me on your backhand and, if you improve the technique a lot, I'll show you the tactics to beat all of the guys you are having close matches with.

You show me a man with a good backhand and I'll show you a player with great tactics!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover, move the right leg first.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXsPZPzl7R1 ... 726M4CqPTQ

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I'll make you a deal. You work with me on your backhand and, if you improve the technique a lot, I'll show you the tactics to beat all of the guys you are having close matches with.

You show me a man with a good backhand and I'll show you a player with great tactics!

Where are my tactics?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

Where are my tactics?

You qualify to use tactics on your backhand. So, if your opponent has a bad backhand, play a lot to his backhand. You can even play to his forehand and then his backhand because you can do it. In fact, you can do whatever you want.

If you were making 20 unforced errors per match because of poor technique, I'd tell you to work on your technique.

If someone can't serve properly, do you tell them to just serve to the opponent's backhand, or do your teach them how to serve? I bet you teach them the mechanics you know so well.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel, this is a serious question. Do you find it hard to play backhand topspin after doing pendulum type serves from your backhand side? Do you find it much easier to do backhand topspin after backhand serving?

After my chest thing, I went down to the hall and totally wasted my friend's time. I was angry because I couldn't serve with my forehand, so I forgot to try in our match. The guy probably hates me now. During the match though, I decided to only serve with my backhand which I've never done before. Although I was angry and not trying, I realized that I had lots of time to make some crazy backhand opening loops. The backhand opener that I've been working on in training suddenly showed up every point. I got interested and started ripping some LTT89 hip backhand serves and suddenly I had a whole new dimension to my game. I still lost easily, but I think I learned something.

My backhand sucks after serving with my forehand. I go after the serve so much that I need to play a forehand topspin 3rd ball or else I have nothing. Interested to hear your thoughts?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel, this is a serious question. Do you find it hard to play backhand topspin after doing pendulum type serves from your backhand side? Do you find it much easier to do backhand topspin after backhand serving?

After my chest thing, I went down to the hall and totally wasted my friend's time. I was angry because I couldn't serve with my forehand, so I forgot to try in our match. The guy probably hates me now. During the match though, I decided to only serve with my backhand which I've never done before. Although I was angry and not trying, I realized that I had lots of time to make some crazy backhand opening loops. The backhand opener that I've been working on in training suddenly showed up every point. I got interested and started ripping some LTT89 hip backhand serves and suddenly I had a whole new dimension to my game. I still lost easily, but I think I learned something.

My backhand sucks after serving with my forehand. I go after the serve so much that I need to play a forehand topspin 3rd ball or else I have nothing. Interested to hear your thoughts?

I open better with my backhand after I serve backhand. I have a Nigerian friend who is about 2200 with a far more advanced version of my game and his game is 90% backhand serves and the odd 10% pendulum. My original backhand was a hook shot and it was hard to do that confidently against popups or sidespin pendulum pushes. And the recovery time wasn't fun.

Backhand serving was very predictable ... most people couldn't go down the line into the forehand and they would usually pop up the ball into your forehand if they tried to get it there. So I could serve into the backhand and wait or to the middle of the table and do the same. I can't get the quality of spin with my backhand serves that I can get with my forehand serves but I think I can get there if I put in some work. My backhand topspin serve is still pretty strong but I need to be able to serve it short and make my backspin serve more deceptive.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

The other thing I forgot was the grip. The way I held the paddle for the backhand serve made my transition into my preferred grip for the backhand opener seamless. I didn't have to deal with the grip switch on the pendulum. That grip switch took me a long time and I am comfortable playing forehands after serving pendulum because or practice but backhand not so much.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 14:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
The other thing I forgot was the grip. The way I held the paddle for the backhand serve made my transition into my preferred grip for the backhand opener seamless. I didn't have to deal with the grip switch on the pendulum. That grip switch took me a long time and I am comfortable playing forehands after serving pendulum because or practice but backhand not so much.

This experience really made me wonder if I should ever play a backhand after serving short with my forehand.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 14:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

And then you will show me the tactics?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 14:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

And then you will show me the tactics?

I'm in a good mood, so I'll give you the tactics right now. If you move your right foot first, and push your hip correctly, then you can blast the ball wherever you want against all 1700 level players. Once you get to 2000, I'll give you more advanced tactics.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 14:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

LOL, sure, you've got a deal. We are actually already working on my backhand.

I'll be back in two years for the tactics.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 15:21 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

This experience really made me wonder if I should ever play a backhand after serving short with my forehand.

You are the coach so you know whether it is worth your time to practice it. It is a huge cognitive issue. But after least, you know now that you have another look you can throw at opponents when it gets tight.

The good news is that my game I has been graded by one of my training partners as being at 99.98% of its original level. The bad news is that my knees sometimes feel like s***. But all in all I am happy with my game. Playing twice a week is good enough for my short and long term goals. I just need someone to practice a few simple things with on one of those days so I can improve my serve return and topspin blocking. I will use my matches with lower rated players to drill serves.

Now it is time to seek revenge on all the people who beat me when I was 0-80%. And then to figure out new tricks to add to my game to make it harder to lose to lower rated players. And if by accident I best a higher ra3ted player with those tricks, then great!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 15:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Now it is time to seek revenge on all the people who beat me when I was 0-80%. And then to figure out new tricks to add to my game to make it harder to lose to lower rated players. And if by accident I best a higher ra3ted player with those tricks, then great!

Become a serving god.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 15:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Does your forehand suck after serving with the backhand? I feel like the backhand serve is a bit of a cheat in terms of getting ready for the next ball. The tomahawk similar. Not a lot of moving around or changing bat grips.

I know my thoughts aren't in question here but the pendulum serve is really hard for me to hit a backhand off of it. I feel like I am rushed to get into position and then if it goes to a backhand angle then it's going against my momentum and it all falls apart. If I just sit at the backhand corner after serving commit to hitting a forehand it just seems easier. I really hate when they put the ball short to the forehand side. BRS is really good at getting there and making a nice quality loop. Seen it in his recent videos a number of times now.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 23:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
My backhand sucks after serving with my forehand. I go after the serve so much that I need to play a forehand topspin 3rd ball or else I have nothing.

I don't understand why you can't hit your practice backhand on the third ball if you are standing in a good balanced ready position?

I often have the opposite problem. My recovery after a fh pendulum serve is still too much like me, and not enough like former world and Olympic champion Zhang Jike. I've only been working on it for about five years.

Here are two one-point videos that illustrate the difference.

late and off-balance for an easy forehand
https://youtu.be/FM0UmDZGf-w

reasonably balanced for a backhand
https://youtu.be/4sUZXtM2tms

Watching the fh 3rd ball frame-by-frame, my weight is not balanced on both feet at any time between raising my left foot with the toss and landing on the follow-through after the missed attack. Once I see that in a match video it's hard to even look for anything else.

Maybe I need to learn that bh serve so I can follow it up with a fh.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298 ... 568  Next